Thread: PFT: Geno Smith narrows agent options to three

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

PFT: Geno Smith narrows agent options to three

With plenty of negative articles coming out in recent days about Jets quarterback Geno Smith, he’d benefit from an agent who can bend and/or chew on the ears of the folks who are writing bad things about the agent’s client.

But Smith, who fired Select Sports Group last week, currently is unrepresented. That status could change soon, now that the mandatory five-day waiting period for hiring a replacement has expired.

The finalists for the job, we’re told, are Rick Smith of Priority Sports, David Dunn of Athletes First, and Joel Segal.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported over the weekend that meetings will be held with the candidates on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Segal, who represents former West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin, was believed to be a finalist for the original representation of Smith.

Dunn represents Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, which could make for an awkward situation, to say the least. If Smith truly had concerns about Select Sports Group clients Kevin Kolb signing with the Bills and Chase Daniel signing with the Chiefs (two of Smith’s possible first-round destinations), it’s hard to imagine Smith hiring the guy who represents the guy with whom Smith will be directly competing for the starting job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ions-to-three/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    With plenty of negative articles coming out in recent days about Jets quarterback Geno Smith, he’d benefit from an agent who can bend and/or chew on the ears of the folks who are writing bad things about the agent’s client.

But Smith, who fired Select Sports Group last week, currently is unrepresented. That status could change soon, now that the mandatory five-day waiting period for hiring a replacement has expired.

The finalists for the job, we’re told, are Rick Smith of Priority Sports, David Dunn of Athletes First, and Joel Segal.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported over the weekend that meetings will be held with the candidates on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Segal, who represents former West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin, was believed to be a finalist for the original representation of Smith.

Dunn represents Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, which could make for an awkward situation, to say the least. If Smith truly had concerns about Select Sports Group clients Kevin Kolb signing with the Bills and Chase Daniel signing with the Chiefs (two of Smith’s possible first-round destinations), it’s hard to imagine Smith hiring the guy who represents the guy with whom Smith will be directly competing for the starting job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ions-to-three/
    Do any of them offer baby sitting services??

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that Geno will be sued by his former agent for time and work already done, so I hope Geno does not mind handing over part of his salary to 2 agents.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    I suspect that Geno will be sued by his former agent for time and work already done, so I hope Geno does not mind handing over part of his salary to 2 agents.
    And I suspect their claim will not be granted.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Cost of the business. RT @BrianCoz: do Geno smith's old agents get anything? Reimbursed for money put out for training etc.?

Darren Heitner ‏@DarrenHeitner
    @adbrandt @BrianCoz you don't believe Smith's former agents have any conceivable claim based on quantum meruit?

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    @DarrenHeitner @briancoz they can try (there will be lawyers) but industry standard is there..

Joe Casale ‏@sportsJC16
    @adbrandt @BrianCoz In addition, agents suing players doesn't help recruiting in the future. Players know this & take advantage, IMO.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
    @DarrenHeitner @FloBlogs22m @adbrandt @BrianCoz agents usually get training, living fees back. It's standard language in rep agreements now.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    And I suspect their claim will not be granted.
    Obnoxious

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    his new and old agents will work out some sort of intra agent settlement as soon as a new agent is hired. It's what lawyers do

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Cost of the business. RT @BrianCoz: do Geno smith's old agents get anything? Reimbursed for money put out for training etc.?

@adbrandt @BrianCoz you don't believe Smith's former agents have any conceivable claim based on quantum meruit?

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    @DarrenHeitner @briancoz they can try (there will be lawyers) but industry standard is there..

Joe Casale ‏@sportsJC16
    @adbrandt @BrianCoz In addition, agents suing players doesn't help recruiting in the future. Players know this & take advantage, IMO.

@DarrenHeitner @FloBlogs22m @adbrandt @BrianCoz agents usually get training, living fees back. It's standard language in rep agreements now.

Useful

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Joe Casale ‏@sportsJC16

Im no lawyer but have taken plenty of business law... and study contracts all the time.

my suspicion is that in the agency agreement, there is a clause for work performed etc..and as such a suit would not need be filed as the terms will be honored.

IF the old agents are owed money, the new agents will make certain it is paid before they start.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obnoxious
    I'm sorry he fired you. You'll be ok, chin up!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I'm sorry he fired you. You'll be ok, chin up!
    Forgiven

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Interesting that after all the Geno Smith bashing from sources/scouts, all the top NFL agents in the biz are lining up to rep him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen a player agent search so scrutinized. Ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Interesting that after all the Geno Smith bashing from sources/scouts, all the top NFL agents in the biz are lining up to rep him.
    Why would that be interesting or surprising? He's a 2nd round draft pick and QB. What an odd statement. No matter what scrutiny, agents are still going to line up for a client who could start at QB in his rookie season, especially in NYC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone but Schwartz & Feinsod

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    And top lawyers line up to represent some of the most vile people on the planet.. It's what they do for a living as Michael Corleone said;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7zkd0kRS4

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And top lawyers line up to represent some of the most vile people on the planet.. It's what they do for a living as Michael Corleone said;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS3jzrypoms

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    anyone but Schwartz & Feinsod
    That's what I was interested in. As long as it's not them, or Rosenhaus I'm good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Why would that be interesting or surprising? He's a 2nd round draft pick and QB. What an odd statement. No matter what scrutiny, agents are still going to line up for a client who could start at QB in his rookie season, especially in NYC.
    i think he was being sarcastic.