Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 249

Thread: Are We Better off?

  1. #181
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Learn how to create proper responses. Either multi-quote or make your responses bold. This is the last time I clean up your mess.

    We lost 13 starters. - Revis and Landry are the only ones that will hurt, Revis wanted too much money and Landry Got too much money.

    SAR: While those are the two most notable names, the issue is that the remaining 11 starters are going to be replaced with rookies and JAG's. It is a shame that some of them weren't retained to see if they could flourish with a new coordinator (offense) and a new head coach (2014).


    We signed questionable JAG's. Your judge of talent has been questionable at best.

    SAR: Says who? Because I think Sanchez has a 30% chance of bouncing back? Because Stephen Hill is the king of drops? Because Shonn Greene can't run? Because Dustin Keller couldn't stay healthy? It's not hard to judge talent. We all watch the games.

    We allowed a lame duck HC to being in another OC for a single year. Shtick

    SAR: It is likely that the Jets will have 4 wins. It is likely that after going 18-30 in his last 3 seasons that Rex Ryan will be fired. It is likely that once Rex Ryan is fired his replacement will hand pick his own offensive coordinator. That's not "schtick". Just ignorance on your part.


    We misplayed the Revis opportunity, got a bad deal. - How we got a 1 (top 15 pic) and 3 with only 1 suitor coming off a major injury.

    SAR: Excuses, excuses. A better GM would have worked the phones harder, been more persuasive, gotten us the bonus second-rounder we deserved for arguably the best player in the NFL. A first rounder was expected. He had six months and got nothing but the minimum.

    We misplayed the Tebow spot, held him through the draft for nothing. We made every opportunity to trade him but NOBODY WANTED HIM. Cutting him before the draft had no benefit at all.

    SAR: Keeping Tebow on the roster for the 0% chance that someone would trade for him just made Idzik look foolish.

    We couldn't trade down to get more picks so we took a CB. We drafted the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE who happen to be a CB most people had as a top 5 pick.

    SAR: We have bigger needs than CB with Cromartie on the roster and, supposedly, this fearsome DL that's going to get a ton of pressure this year. We failed to trade down, that's the issue. A better GM could have leveraged the board and the other GM's to maneuver to a lower position to fill an area of need with a better BPA at a more affordable price.

    We couldn't trade up to get the WR so we took a DE. ???The jets are in no position to trade up, the essentially fixed their olb position by drafting the best interior pass rusher allowing the jets to move coples to the outside.

    SAR: Sure we are. You bundle some picks in a weak draft and slide up a few spots to get the best playmaker in the draft. A BPA DE is not what we need. How many chances does Rex Ryan get to screw up the pass rush? We've been "one player away!" from this mythical pass rush for 4 years and its cost us a ton of picks that could have been spent on the offense.


    We took a sketchy QB instead of the playmaking TE. We took the top rated qb in the draft in the 2nd round. low risk hi reward.
    We have just created another QB circus when the last one was a disaster. ??????

    SAR: It's a lame draft for QB's. So saying that we took the highest rated QB is code for "we shouldn't have taken any QB in this lame QB draft". And after the Tebow/Sanchez QB mess the last thing this team needed was a Smith/Sanchez QB mess.

    We are losing scouts who just worked the draft and are quitting . IDZICK is letting the scouts he doesnt want go and not renewing the contract.

    SAR: The exodus of front office and sideline staff continues. While a couple were not renewed, these last two left on their own to escape. No one wants to be here anymore. Quite the turnaround from 2010 when we were the preferred destination for almost every free agent out there.

    SAR I

    Opinions are like *******s.... Especially when you keep posting the same nonsense in every thread. WE GET YOUR POINT. You do not like anything this regime does, no matter what it is. STFU about it already and move on from it. You are stuck with them for another year +. Honestly I don't think its your opinion that pisses people off its the constant posting of your opinion, never giving in at all "im right you're wrong" comments. If you weren't such a ---- about it, people would not care. The problem is is your intent is not to share your opinion its to troll and piss people off, so with that you have succeeded.

  2. #182
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    reasons 1-10


    his boy Suckchez won't be the starting qb

  3. #183
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    reasons 1-10


    his boy Suckchez won't be the starting qb
    Did DBAKE take over your space?

  4. #184
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Ten Reason The 2013 Jets Are Better Than The 2012 Jets:
    1. Competition at quarterback. Competition always makes everything better, it's basic tenet of capitalism...

    (Was there last year, didn't work and that was with an experienced NFL QB)

    2. Improved interior pass rush by adding an upfield DT (Richardson)

    (Rookie. Doesn't count. Ryan rookie hit rate is like 1 For 40 and the guy who worked everyone can't wait to throw out of town.)

    3. Improved outer pass rush by moving Coples to the DE/OLB/Elephant role

    (Another theory dependent upon a rookie in another slot. Rookies don't count.)

    4. Improved Entire OL by instilling youth and vets: Winters, Aboushi, Colon and Peterman

    (I agree.)

    5. Return of Santonio Holmes + rumblings of addition of a Vet at WR

    (The question was 'how are we better than the Jets who left Cortland in 2012" and Santonio Holmes was on that squad who were awful. He's older, might get hurt again, that's a wash not an upgrade.)

    6. Demario Davis adding speed and zone coverage ability at WLB

    (Rookie. Doesn't count.)

    7. Explosive Interior runner in Chris Ivory

    (50/50 he outperforms Greene. Jury's out. A wash, maybe a slight uptick.)

    8. Addition of a pass catching back in Goodson

    (Questionable. He averages 15 catches per season. Tomlinson averaged 45.)

    9. An OC who has actual experience running a successful offensive system

    (I agree.)

    10. Real potential for the future, an enormous amount of cap space for 2014, and a strong young core of interior players. Oh and we drafted the best CB in the draft.

    (Nice story, doesn't help the offense one iota this year.)

    ---------

    To summarize:

    3 reasons are based on rookies, can't take that to the bank, doesn't count.

    1 reason is based on you hearing the hot Jets buzzword of "competition" which imploded at QB last season.

    1 reason is a WR we had last year who didn't do anything before be got injured.

    5 reasons are dependent upon JAG's from other teams.

    Yeah, still feels like 4-12 to me.

    SAR I

  5. #185
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Opinions are like *******s.... Especially when you keep posting the same nonsense in every thread. WE GET YOUR POINT. You do not like anything this regime does, no matter what it is. STFU about it already and move on from it. You are stuck with them for another year +. Honestly I don't think its your opinion that pisses people off its the constant posting of your opinion, never giving in at all "im right you're wrong" comments. If you weren't such a ---- about it, people would not care. The problem is is your intent is not to share your opinion its to troll and piss people off, so with that you have succeeded.
    Great. You've made your point.

    Hit the ignore button now and go back to the Hangar and discuss sleepover parties.

    SAR I

  6. #186
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Competition at quarterback. Competition always makes everything better, it's basic tenet of capitalism...

    (Was there last year, didn't work and that was with an experienced NFL QB) Are you seriously going to compare Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy to David Garrard and the top QB prospect going into the draft (don't argue that point because he fell, plenty of QBs were selected before Tom Brady and Drew Brees and they turned out pretty dandy)

    2. Improved interior pass rush by adding an upfield DT (Richardson)

    (Rookie. Doesn't count. Ryan rookie hit rate is like 1 For 40 and the guy who worked everyone can't wait to throw out of town.) Except on D linemen where he's 2/2 on 1st round picks...Wilkerson was the 2nd best 3-4 End in the NFL and Coples led the team in sacks

    3. Improved outer pass rush by moving Coples to the DE/OLB/Elephant role

    (Another theory dependent upon a rookie in another slot. Rookies don't count.) Again, to say rookies don't count is borderline asinine. Aldon Smith, Coples, Luck, Long, Trent Richardson, DeCastro, all had impact as rookies...and that's just naming names off the top of my head

    4. Improved Entire OL by instilling youth and vets: Winters, Aboushi, Colon and Peterman

    (I agree.)

    5. Return of Santonio Holmes + rumblings of addition of a Vet at WR

    (The question was 'how are we better than the Jets who left Cortland in 2012" and Santonio Holmes was on that squad who were awful. He's older, might get hurt again, that's a wash not an upgrade.) Fair, but Hill is also coming into his second year and should make improvements

    6. Demario Davis adding speed and zone coverage ability at WLB

    (Rookie. Doesn't count.) Not a rookie, does count

    7. Explosive Interior runner in Chris Ivory

    (50/50 he outperforms Greene. Jury's out. A wash, maybe a slight uptick.)

    8. Addition of a pass catching back in Goodson

    (Questionable. He averages 15 catches per season. Tomlinson averaged 45.) Obviously he's had less, he's been a 3rd down back, you'd have to take into account Receptions/Plays, not just total receptions

    9. An OC who has actual experience running a successful offensive system

    (I agree.)

    10. Real potential for the future, an enormous amount of cap space for 2014, and a strong young core of interior players. Oh and we drafted the best CB in the draft.

    (Nice story, doesn't help the offense one iota this year.) Except it does, because it allows the coaches to play rookies and younger players who could potentially break out ie davis, hill, richardson, coples etc

    ---------

  7. #187
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    1. Competition at quarterback. Competition always makes everything better, it's basic tenet of capitalism...

    (Was there last year, didn't work and that was with an experienced NFL QB) Are you seriously going to compare Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy to David Garrard and the top QB prospect going into the draft (don't argue that point because he fell, plenty of QBs were selected before Tom Brady and Drew Brees and they turned out pretty dandy)

    2. Improved interior pass rush by adding an upfield DT (Richardson)

    (Rookie. Doesn't count. Ryan rookie hit rate is like 1 For 40 and the guy who worked everyone can't wait to throw out of town.) Except on D linemen where he's 2/2 on 1st round picks...Wilkerson was the 2nd best 3-4 End in the NFL and Coples led the team in sacks

    3. Improved outer pass rush by moving Coples to the DE/OLB/Elephant role

    (Another theory dependent upon a rookie in another slot. Rookies don't count.) Again, to say rookies don't count is borderline asinine. Aldon Smith, Coples, Luck, Long, Trent Richardson, DeCastro, all had impact as rookies...and that's just naming names off the top of my head

    4. Improved Entire OL by instilling youth and vets: Winters, Aboushi, Colon and Peterman

    (I agree.)

    5. Return of Santonio Holmes + rumblings of addition of a Vet at WR

    (The question was 'how are we better than the Jets who left Cortland in 2012" and Santonio Holmes was on that squad who were awful. He's older, might get hurt again, that's a wash not an upgrade.) Fair, but Hill is also coming into his second year and should make improvements

    6. Demario Davis adding speed and zone coverage ability at WLB

    (Rookie. Doesn't count.) Not a rookie, does count

    7. Explosive Interior runner in Chris Ivory

    (50/50 he outperforms Greene. Jury's out. A wash, maybe a slight uptick.)

    8. Addition of a pass catching back in Goodson

    (Questionable. He averages 15 catches per season. Tomlinson averaged 45.) Obviously he's had less, he's been a 3rd down back, you'd have to take into account Receptions/Plays, not just total receptions

    9. An OC who has actual experience running a successful offensive system

    (I agree.)

    10. Real potential for the future, an enormous amount of cap space for 2014, and a strong young core of interior players. Oh and we drafted the best CB in the draft.

    (Nice story, doesn't help the offense one iota this year.) Except it does, because it allows the coaches to play rookies and younger players who could potentially break out ie davis, hill, richardson, coples etc

    ---------
    Give it up...you have no shot. You can tell him that the jets traded for aaron rodgers and ap for nothing and the he will find something to whine about. Ignore button works great!

  8. #188
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    To summarize:

    3 reasons are based on rookies, can't take that to the bank, doesn't count.
    Except one of your chief complaints is that the Jets did not trade up to draft "that playmaking WR" and "that playmaking TE".

    As you know, both of those players would be rookies.

    Your position thus lacks consistency. On one hand you denounce rookies as not counting, on the other you denounce the team for not aquiring unnamed rookies who you seem to imply would count.

    1 reason is based on you hearing the hot Jets buzzword of "competition" which imploded at QB last season
    Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy is in no way comparable to Sanchez/Gerrard/Smith in terms of competition for the #1 job.

    1 reason is a WR we had last year who didn't do anything before be got injured.
    Again, lacking consistency of argument. One of your chief complaints is the loss of Keller, yet he was also "on the roster coming out of Cortland" (itself a arbitary point to use, it should be mentioned and not a good barometer for the entire seasons results) and "did nothing before getting hurt" last year as well.

    If the return of Holmes is to be minimized, then the loss of Keller (a non-entity in 2012) must also be minimized if you wish to retain any form of intellectual consistency.

    5 reasons are dependent upon JAG's from other teams.
    It should once again be pointed out that you decry our aquisitions as "JAGs", yet can offer not a single non-JAG name that we could/should have aquired instead.

    If you discount rookies (as you do) we aquire and you discount universally all free agents we aquire (without naming alternatives), what exactly did you expect as our vehicle for improvement?

    Again, it cannot be stressed enough that your argument is illogical and inconsistent when it comes to the critical assessment of the moves we've made. Youe end prediction of a poor record itself is fine, but how you get to that point, and your universal disdain within your argument, makes no consistent, logical sense given your complete lack of argument that any other option would have been superior, or that somehow the roookies and JAG's you fail to name would count but those we got do not count.

    Yeah, still feels like 4-12 to me.
    And you certainly may be right. We'll see when we see.

  9. #189
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I like this format.

    My question to you is this:

    Ten Specific Players/Coaches The 2013 Jets SHOULD HAVE aquired that are Better Than The 2013 Jets DID Aquire, i.e. the Ten SAR Approved Specific "Good Decision" Player/Coach Aquisitions:

    I look forward to your on-topic reply.
    The straw man returns, not playing.

    No average NFL fan knows the names of three assistant coaches on his own team let alone the entire league. Same for college draft choices, same for rookie free agents, same for backups on other teams. Sorry, I don't know the name of the 4th string RT for the Arizona Cardinals. More importantly, I don't need to.

    We kept a HC whose players and coordinators quit on him. We took the last GM candidate available after every other one passed on us. We traded away our best player and didn't get enough in return. We left Cortland last year and haven't done anything significant to improve our offense. We pinned our hopes on rookies last year, didn't work, doing the same thing this year. Our QB is learning his 3rd offense in 3 years. That tells the story. Knowing the shoe size of the backup kicker of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers doesn't change that fact.

    SAR I

  10. #190
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We took the last GM candidate available after every other one passed on us.

    SAR I
    this is irrelevant. the jets took ken o'brien over dan marino. does that mean anything?

  11. #191
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Except one of your chief complaints is that the Jets did not trade up to draft "that playmaking WR" and "that playmaking TE".

    As you know, both of those players would be rookies.

    Your position thus lacks consistency. On one hand you denounce rookies as not counting, on the other you denounce the team for not aquiring unnamed rookies who you seem to imply would count.



    Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy is in no way comparable to Sanchez/Gerrard/Smith in terms of competition for the #1 job.



    Again, lacking consistency of argument. One of your chief complaints is the loss of Keller, yet he was also "on the roster coming out of Cortland" (itself a arbitary point to use, it should be mentioned and not a good barometer for the entire seasons results) and "did nothing before getting hurt" last year as well.

    If the return of Holmes is to be minimized, then the loss of Keller (a non-entity in 2012) must also be minimized if you wish to retain any form of intellectual consistency.



    It should once again be pointed out that you decry our aquisitions as "JAGs", yet can offer not a single non-JAG name that we could/should have aquired instead.

    If you discount rookies (as you do) we aquire and you discount universally all free agents we aquire (without naming alternatives), what exactly did you expect as our vehicle for improvement?

    Again, it cannot be stressed enough that your argument is illogical and inconsistent when it comes to the critical assessment of the moves we've made. Youe end prediction of a poor record itself is fine, but how you get to that point, and your universal disdain within your argument, makes no consistent, logical sense given your complete lack of argument that any other option would have been superior, or that somehow the roookies and JAG's you fail to name would count but those we got do not count.



    And you certainly may be right. We'll see when we see.
    SARry is being owned yet again.

  12. #192
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Our Secondary is much worse.

    Our Running Backs are flat, might even be a step back.

    We added no WR's to replace Schillens, Gates, and Gilyard.

    We added no TE's to replace Keller.

    We added no pass-catching RB to replace Tomlinson (Year 3).

    We added no pass rushing DL or LB.

    The offense is worse than last year right now. Edwards, Keller, Greene gone.

    The defense is worse than last year right now. Revis, Landry, Bell gone.

    4-12.

    SAR I
    So true. This will be a season of suck.
    Only delusional fans will put their heads in the sand .and say the Jets are a 7 win team. This team will be contending for a top 2.pick in the next draft. This team Is at least 2-3 years away from being able to compete with temas like the 49ers, pats Ravens(playoff) caliber teams.
    The fans need to wake up, the Jets dont even have a starting qb on the roster. This team has tthe least amount of talent at every position. It will be ugly for a while.
    Last edited by srobjets; 05-09-2013 at 11:45 AM.

  13. #193
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    The offense has to be better, by default, since we finished 31st last season (or was it 32nd?). That said, I agree with SAR, we still don't have a single elite or even very good player at any of the skill positions, same problem we had last year.

    We've been using all of our top picks on defense, every year. The Jets need to stop doing that. And why should Rex need a 1st round pick at every defensive position? Shouldn't his supposed defensive prowess allow us to not use so much of our resources on defense?

    Hope I'm wrong, but I'm seeing a 4-12 season coming up as well. Sucks

  14. #194
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The straw man returns, not playing.

    No average NFL fan knows the names of three assistant coaches on his own team let alone the entire league. Same for college draft choices, same for rookie free agents, same for backups on other teams. Sorry, I don't know the name of the 4th string RT for the Arizona Cardinals. More importantly, I don't need to.

    We kept a HC whose players and coordinators quit on him. We took the last GM candidate available after every other one passed on us. We traded away our best player and didn't get enough in return. We left Cortland last year and haven't done anything significant to improve our offense. We pinned our hopes on rookies last year, didn't work, doing the same thing this year. Our QB is learning his 3rd offense in 3 years. That tells the story. Knowing the shoe size of the backup kicker of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers doesn't change that fact.

    SAR I
    So basically what you're saying is:

    It's ok to have no quantitative data to support your claims as long as we draw the same qualitative conclusion eg, that the players and coaches quit on the head coach and that everyone passed on us.

    The problem is when drawing non-quantitative conclusions you need at least some non-numeric evidence to support your claims, and since you've said specifically that you don't know anything about the fundamentals of scouting, playcallying, coaching, or the inner workings of the Jets front office, you're basically throwing wild guesses around as premises. Now, I don't know about you, but when I like to draw a logical conclusion, I do so based on sound structure.

    btw I see what you did there reductio ad absurdum...nice. "I don't know anything about football, otherwise average fans (including me) would know Connor Barth's shoe size!"...Except what you don't realize is that fans are evolving along with the game. Football has become a statistically driven sport just like basketball and baseball, and if you don't think the front office is loaded with top talent in that regard, you're flat out wrong. I would say in fact, that as the world becomes more informed, those like you who depend solely on "this is what I see, and I don't need to do any analysis" are getting left in the dust. The younger generations of fans know more than you, but that gap will continue y/oy. Knowledge is everything...why do you think we pay for "knowledge brokers"...evolve man...evolve!
    Last edited by bjetsb; 05-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.

  15. #195
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR 1,

    1) You said that the rookies the team drafted don't count towards improving the roster.

    You said that the team should have drafted a WR in the 1st round and a TE in the 2nd round. Would these alternate selections have counted towards improving the roster?

    Can rookies ever improve the a roster?

    2) Without knowing their names you wanted the best WR and the best TE, but we went wrong when we drafted the best QB. You've agreed that MS sux yet for some reason drafting for need at the QB position was a mistake.

    3) Hm. It seems you're losing the debate on points.

  16. #196
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets88NY;4887132]Just a list of changes. On the left are the new players to the right old.
    I honestly dont see how we dont at least grab 7 wins with this schedule and the new additions...

    QB : Geno Smith --- Mark Sanchez
    RB : Chris Ivory --- Shonn Greene
    FB : Tommy Bohanon --- Lex Hillard
    G : Willie Colon --- Matt Slauson
    G : Brian Winters --- Brandon Moore
    T : Austin Howard --- Vladimir Ducasse
    TE : Jeff Cumberland --- Dustin Keller
    DE : Sheldon Richardsn --- Quinton Coples
    NT : Antonio Garay --- Sione Pouha
    OLB : Quinton Coples --- Garrett McIntyre/Antwan Barnes
    OLB : Calvin Pace --- Ricky Sapp/Antwan Barnes
    CB : Dee Milliner --- Darrelle Revis
    S : Dawan Landry --- Laron Landry
    S : Josh Bush --- Yeremiah Bell [QUOTE]

    That's how you should've set it up left is lineup for this season and right is who was at that position last yr

  17. #197
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    SAR 1,

    1) You said that the rookies the team drafted don't count towards improving the roster.

    You said that the team should have drafted a WR in the 1st round and a TE in the 2nd round. Would these alternate selections have counted towards improving the roster?

    Can rookies ever improve the a roster?

    2) Without knowing their names you wanted the best WR and the best TE, but we went wrong when we drafted the best QB. You've agreed that MS sux yet for some reason drafting for need at the QB position was a mistake.

    3) Hm. It seems you're losing the debate on points.
    A troll gets owned left and right on this page.. But a troll will never admit defeat even when he's toast.. Trolls just keep on trolling..

  18. #198
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

    And you certainly may be right. We'll see when we see.
    I will be right. No need to wait and see.

    I appreciate your use of vocabulary as much as anyone else, but cut through your overuse of SAT words and what's left is just more "hey, rookies can be good" and "hey, these third stringers might pan out" which is great wishful thinking but has not proven to be a winning strategy, at least not under Rex Ryan.

    SAR I

  19. #199
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    So true. This will be a season of suck.
    Only delusional fans will put their heads in the sand .and say the Jets are a 7 win team. This team will be contending for a top 2.pick in the next draft. This team Is at least 2-3 years away from being able to compete with temas like the 49ers, pats Ravens(playoff) caliber teams.
    The fans need to wake up, the Jets dont even have a starting qb on the roster. This team has tthe least amount of talent at every position. It will be ugly for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The offense has to be better, by default, since we finished 31st last season (or was it 32nd?). That said, I agree with SAR, we still don't have a single elite or even very good player at any of the skill positions, same problem we had last year.

    We've been using all of our top picks on defense, every year. The Jets need to stop doing that. And why should Rex need a 1st round pick at every defensive position? Shouldn't his supposed defensive prowess allow us to not use so much of our resources on defense?

    Hope I'm wrong, but I'm seeing a 4-12 season coming up as well. Sucks
    ....and the voices of reason are found.

    It's going to be a bad season. What may make it worse is that if we've got the wrong HC and the wrong GM, we're setting ourselves back an additional 5 years, will take that long to see the latest mistakes and undo them again.

    We should have cleaned house thoroughly, gotten a fantastic GM candidate in here, turned it around the right way. Playing footsie with Rex Ryan and thus having every qualified GM say 'no way' is the death-blow for our future.

    SAR I

  20. #200
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    So basically what you're saying is:

    It's ok to have no quantitative data to support your claims as long as we draw the same qualitative conclusion eg, that the players and coaches quit on the head coach and that everyone passed on us.

    The problem is when drawing non-quantitative conclusions you need at least some non-numeric evidence to support your claims, and since you've said specifically that you don't know anything about the fundamentals of scouting, playcallying, coaching, or the inner workings of the Jets front office, you're basically throwing wild guesses around as premises. Now, I don't know about you, but when I like to draw a logical conclusion, I do so based on sound structure.

    btw I see what you did there reductio ad absurdum...nice. "I don't know anything about football, otherwise average fans (including me) would know Connor Barth's shoe size!"...Except what you don't realize is that fans are evolving along with the game. Football has become a statistically driven sport just like basketball and baseball, and if you don't think the front office is loaded with top talent in that regard, you're flat out wrong. I would say in fact, that as the world becomes more informed, those like you who depend solely on "this is what I see, and I don't need to do any analysis" are getting left in the dust. The younger generations of fans know more than you, but that gap will continue y/oy. Knowledge is everything...why do you think we pay for "knowledge brokers"...evolve man...evolve!
    I see a $3,500,000 home and I say "Gee, that house is expensive."

    I see a cloudless, blue sky and I say "Gee, it's not raining."

    I see a the 2013 New York Jets and I say "Boy, we're going to suck."

    It does not take a degree in quantum physics to see what is obvious. I don't need to quantify anything, don't need to know the IQ of our quality control coach. I just need to open my eyes and watch TV. Very simple.

    And those that do all of these deep-dives, all these so-called experts with their ratings and their statistics, how'd they do last year? That's right. They had us at 10-12 wins easy, "best team I've ever coached". We were 6-10 folks, just a few bounces from 5-11 and certainly headed backwards for the 2013 season. Open a big bag of Quantification, knock yourself out, mix it with your pretzels and warm beer. That's all its worth.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us