Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Better off?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That's excellent news.

We can slam Mark Sanchez all day long, but the single biggest issue that crushed the kid was the loss of LT as a reliable dump-off safety valve. Sparano's offense didn't need one, apparently, so getting Morningsig and Goodson will improve completion percentage, first downs, and touchdowns if what you say comes to fruition.

SAR I
    Having a receiving threat at RB is a QBs best friend. Easy productive throws that build confidence. They are a staple in a WCO. It was baffling how little the RBs were used in the passing game last year.

If you don't want opinions you find unsavory, don't start a thread asking for them.

With the exception of Goodsen potentially being a pass-catching threat, everything else I posted is a valid point of view that you can accept or disregard if you choose to.

There is no "wrong" on an opinion.

SAR I
    Others unsavory comments are welcome. Your CONSTANT unsavory comments are annoying...

We are really in need of replacing gates, schillens and Gilyard? You dont have to replace FA scrubs that dont produce.

Didnt add pass rush? Did you not watch the first round of the draft?

Running backs a step back? What? have you ever watcheed Shonn Greene play?

How is not adding a pass catching RB hurting us this year over last year when we didnt have any at all?

Your posts are generally garbage.

Not 'my boy'.

I merely think that there's a 30% chance he might turn out to be decent and since we've waited 40 years for a franchise QB it's prudent to see what he's got with a qualified OC (check) and some bonafide playmakers (nope) since we suck and are paying him anyway.

SAR I
    No we've had at least 3.

Ken O'Brien was pretty effing good.

Vinny was a franchise QB going into an isolated year where this team looked to be the best in the AFC AT A MINIMUM even with Denver's juggernaut. Then Vinny popped that Achilles' on what, the first snap of the first game?

Chad Pennington was an outstanding QB until he got hurt. Then hurt again. Then hurt again.

Mark Sanchez is a mistake. He was a bad draft pick made by a rookie head coach and terrible GM.

His mere presence hurts the franchise and in a year with zero expectations, pisses off the vast majority of the fan base.

You want proof that most of the fan base hates him?

The majority of the stadium was going crazy booing fireman Ed simply for wearing his horrid jersey.

Sanchez needs cut, this team NEEDS to stink this year to get Lee, Clowney, or Coleman, and to lose Rex Ryan.

There are maybe 8 people who will not boo Sanchez at every opportunity next year and he just crumbles when that happens. He should've been traded to the Eagles, to be honest. Then he would maybe realize we aren't that bad here.

Not 'my boy'.

I merely think that there's a 30% chance he might turn out to be decent and since we've waited 40 years for a franchise QB it's prudent to see what he's got with a qualified OC (check) and some bonafide playmakers (nope) since we suck and are paying him anyway.

SAR I
    I agree with you here. I'm part of the small percentage that says why cut Sanchez when you already owe him tons of money. Injuries happen and he is actually the most prepared to play in the WCO.

People act like Bradford has been lighting things up with Shottenheimer, but he is on a make or break year. Sparano has never been known as an offensive mastermind and honestly, if you watched games last year, the problems extended beyond Sanchez.

McElroy started one game and played awful. He experienced the same pressure Mark did all season. He also lacked the same weapons that Mark lacked all season. Besides driving us down the field against Arizona once, I don't get the huge attraction.

Worst Case Scenario: Sanchez loses the job and rides the pine for the season as a backup. We already have money invested in him and dropping him is just plain stupid. There are plenty of teams that will sign him as a backup and laugh at the Jets as they watch $17mil in dead money be pissed down the toilet.

You literally have to know nothing about business to drop Sanchez at this point. He is not a head case by any means and cannot be if he wants to be employed in the NFL next season. Think about it from this perspective, if you were Sanchez and did not win the job, how would you ever get a job again if you became a headcase? The one thing he has going for him is that he doesn't say stupid things despite the amount of chances he gets.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 05-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Yes, we are better off mostly, but weaker at some spots too as of today:

1. At QB, we are stronger with a higher future upside. Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy offered very little for now or the future. A Sanchez/Gerrard/Smith combination provides veteran competition for sanchez in Gerrard at best, or a veteran backup at worst, and Smith provides a long-term developmental player going forward that mcElroy was not.

2. At RB, we are stronger. Greene was a perenial dissapointment with no big-gain abillity, questionable durabillity and stamina. Bringing in Ivory and Goodson provides two players that both have #1 RB potential. With both Powell and mcKnight retained, RB appears a deep position in potential now, but it IS potential for now.

3. Wide Reciever is unchanged materially. Holmes is back, Hill the #2, Kerley the slot. We all expect a veteran to be brought in a la Edwards. A Holmes/Edwards/Hill/Kerley rotation is perfectly acceptable in the NFL, average in talent.

4. Tight End got worse. The loss of Keller, and Baker's injury settlement/cut leaves us with Cumberland and Rouland. The addition of 7th rounder Bohanon cannot be counted on, and the Aussie is another total unknown/longshot. TE is not a strength currently.

5. The O-line got better. We cut loose old or underperforming players (Moore, Slauson) and drafted two potential day 1 starters in Winters and Aboushi, as well as added considerable developmental/depth to the line.

6. The D-line got better. A 4-man front (regardless of what their supposed position is) of Coples--Richardson--Ellis--Wilkerson is as talented as any in the NFL, and should be very good....in time. Expect most of our long-lost pass rush to come from these 4 players.

7. Linebacker got worse, slightly. Thomas was pretty well used up. Same for Bartt Scott. These are additions via subtractions. Pace returned, old and also mostly used up. All we really added was A. Barnes, who isn’t a very special player. Linebacker remains a position of weakness, but clearly one we’re going to go all in on via younger players already on the roster, barring camp castoff pickups.

8. D-Backfield got worse, albeit not by much. Revis was gone all year, and his loss hurts. He was replaced by the best CB coming out of college. Cro is a legit #1 CB as he showed last year. Not a Revis, but comparative to other #1 CB’s. Wilson needs to step up. The safeties we lost was a mixed bag. Losing Landry hurts, his brother is not his equal. Losing old man Bell does not hurt, he (like our LB’s) was effectively a veteran placeholder.

9. Specials remain the same. Same kicker, new punter, mostly the same younger guys filling spots.

10. Coaching got better. Sparano was a disaster, the Cane had a very down year. Mornhinweg should be a material improvement, and Kotwica was the Cane’s assistant and chosen replacement. Rex Ryan is Rex Ryan….he appears quite less than he was in the past, but that may only be a offseason gag order. We’ll see if he’s really be neutered or not come camp.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    No we've had at least 3.

Ken O'Brien was pretty effing good.

Vinny was a franchise QB going into an isolated year where this team looked to be the best in the AFC AT A MINIMUM even with Denver's juggernaut. Then Vinny popped that Achilles' on what, the first snap of the first game?

Chad Pennington was an outstanding QB until he got hurt. Then hurt again. Then hurt again.

Mark Sanchez is a mistake. He was a bad draft pick made by a rookie head coach and terrible GM.

His mere presence hurts the franchise and in a year with zero expectations, pisses off the vast majority of the fan base.

You want proof that most of the fan base hates him?

The majority of the stadium was going crazy booing fireman Ed simply for wearing his horrid jersey.

Sanchez needs cut, this team NEEDS to stink this year to get Lee, Clowney, or Coleman, and to lose Rex Ryan.

There are maybe 8 people who will not boo Sanchez at every opportunity next year and he just crumbles when that happens. He should've been traded to the Eagles, to be honest. Then he would maybe realize we aren't that bad here.
    You think John Idzik gives two Sh*ts about your dislike for Sanchez? If he's the best QB on the roster, he doesn't cut him because the fans don't like him. It takes one win to get fans back on your side, just look at the first Buffalo Bills game. Fans naturally join bandwagons and you will too if he happens to play well this season.

If Sanchez performs well in preseason, fans will be excited to see what he has during the regular season. If he performs like Sanchez, then they can bench him without even having to answer why. The fact you want to eat $17mil in dead money to cut Sanchez just shows that you do not understand football at all. That is the exact decision that Mike T would have made before ever even giving someone a chance, because he wanted to make the fans happy.

To cut the only QB who has taken snaps with Jeff Garcia and got an inside look at Marty's system is just ridiculous. Why don't we just throw Geno out before he's ready too so we can do to him what we did to Sanchez?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post
    Others unsavory comments are welcome. Your CONSTANT unsavory comments are annoying...

We are really in need of replacing gates, schillens and Gilyard? You dont have to replace FA scrubs that dont produce.

How is not adding a pass catching RB hurting us this year over last year when we didnt have any at all?

So many people were quoting Sar 1 recently that I had the chance to read him again (had him on ignore for some time now). He wasn't all that bad after all. While I'm not as down on Rex & co as he is, his opinions are at least well thought out and I've seen him admit that he was wrong when someone presents facts to him.

SP: Unsavory is a bit harsh IMHO:

The adjective unsavory was formed by merging un, meaning “not,” with savory, meaning “pleasant, agreeable.” So if it's unsavory, it's unpleasant. First used to describe revolting tastes, unsavory now also applies to just about anything that figuratively leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Mobsters do all kinds of unsavory things to the people that cross them. So you probably shouldn't hang out with such unsavory characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    I agree with you here. I'm part of the small percentage that says why cut Sanchez when you already owe him tons of money. Injuries happen and he is actually the most prepared to play in the WCO.

People act like Bradford has been lighting things up with Shottenheimer, but he is on a make or break year. Sparano has never been known as an offensive mastermind and honestly, if you watched games last year, the problems extended beyond Sanchez.

McElroy started one game and played awful. He experienced the same pressure Mark did all season. He also lacked the same weapons that Mark lacked all season. Besides driving us down the field against Arizona once, I don't get the huge attraction.

Worst Case Scenario: Sanchez loses the job and rides the pine for the season as a backup. We already have money invested in him and dropping him is just plain stupid. There are plenty of teams that will sign him as a backup and laugh at the Jets as they watch $17mil in dead money be pissed down the toilet.

You literally have to know nothing about business to drop Sanchez at this point. He is not a head case by any means and cannot be if he wants to be employed in the NFL this season. Think about it from this perspective, if you were Sanchez and did not win the job, how would you ever get a job again if you became a headcase? The one thing he has going for him is that he doesn't say stupid things despite the amount of chances he gets.
    This is more than overshadowed by his utter lack of culpability his entire time here, his aloof West Coast "no-worries-brah" demeanor, and the fact that the vast majority of the fan base hates his guts. So no, I disagree. Hearing his name on a loud speaker at a game will cause crap to be thrown on the turf.

I'm a season ticket holder. This is the reality of his putrid play. NOBODY wants to see him. It's completely subjective and illogical, but you can't blame anybody. He is a bust, through and through.

You think John Idzik gives two Sh*ts about your dislike for Sanchez? If he's the best QB on the roster, he doesn't cut him because the fans don't like him. It takes one win to get fans back on your side, just look at the first Buffalo Bills game. Fans naturally join bandwagons and you will too if he happens to play well this season.

If Sanchez performs well in preseason, fans will be excited to see what he has during the regular season. If he performs like Sanchez, then they can bench him without even having to answer why. The fact you want to eat $17mil in dead money to cut Sanchez just shows that you do not understand football at all. That is the exact decision that Mike T would have made before ever even giving someone a chance, because he wanted to make the fans happy.

To cut the only QB who has taken snaps with Jeff Garcia and got an inside look at Marty's system is just ridiculous. Why don't we just throw Geno out before he's ready too so we can do to him what we did to Sanchez?
    1) Garrard is better than Sanchez. On one leg.

2) If seats are empty (which you are nuts if you think I'm the only person that will not go to games that Sanchez is announced the starter of) then Woody will be all over Idzik.

3) Idzik sounds very much like he or Johnson are going to dump Sanchez in the interviews I've heard. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant. The subjective comes into play when your games aren't selling out and a meaningful percentage of your season ticket holders are selling 50 yard line seats for 20 bucks. The straight up truth is simple:

Mark Sanchez sucks. He pisses off the fans. There's no ifs, an's, or buts about it. If it is costing the owner money to start him, then he will be sat.

I promise you that I will not be alone in organizing boycotts outside both the stadium and on this very website if he is announced the starter.

This is more than overshadowed by his utter lack of culpability his entire time here, his aloof West Coast "no-worries-brah" demeanor, and the fact that the vast majority of the fan base hates his guts. So no, I disagree. Hearing his name on a loud speaker at a game will cause crap to be thrown on the turf.

I'm a season ticket holder. This is the reality of his putrid play. NOBODY wants to see him. It's completely subjective and illogical, but you can't blame anybody. He is a bust, through and through.
    You act like we have other QBs on this roster that we can turn to. Garrard, McElroy, and Smith are all question marks at this point to. They are probably bigger question marks than Sanchez considering none have taken many snaps in the NFL over the past 2 years. Garrard is an injury risk, McElroy is a 2nd stringer at best, and Geno Smith has never taken an NFL snap.

Like I said before, John Idzik does not care what the fans think. We all wanted Tebow gone the day Idzik was hired, but it was dragged out. We all want Braylon back, but it has not happened. We all wanted to see us draft a tight end and a safety, but it didn't happen. We all thought Sanchez would be cut after Geno was drafted, but it has not happened. A large part of the fan base thought he was idiotic for trading Revis but he could care less.

We are talking about a GM who isn't giving out large contracts, who is restructuring big contracts left and right, and who gave out less than $6mil guaranteed on every single FA signing COMBINED, and who does not rush to decisions. So you REALLY think he will cut Sanchez and take the cap hit just to make you season ticket holders happy? I'm sorry, but it is not happening unless he is not one of the top 3 in the competition.

1) Garrard is better than Sanchez. On one leg.

2) If seats are empty (which you are nuts if you think I'm the only person that will not go to games that Sanchez is announced the starter of) then Woody will be all over Idzik.

3) Idzik sounds very much like he or Johnson are going to dump Sanchez in the interviews I've heard. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant. The subjective comes into play when your games aren't selling out and a meaningful percentage of your season ticket holders are selling 50 yard line seats for 20 bucks. The straight up truth is simple:

Mark Sanchez sucks. He pisses off the fans. There's no ifs, an's, or buts about it. If it is costing the owner money to start him, then he will be sat.

I promise you that I will not be alone in organizing boycotts outside both the stadium and on this very website if he is announced the starter.
    You said you're a season ticket holder so you are going to spend money and not go to games? That's like owing Sanchez guaranteed money and just cutting him before you see what you get. Just sounds like an uneducated decision IMHO.

Btw, this is my last message to you as we are definitely not seeing eye to eye. I'm not saying start Sanchez, but I'm also not saying cut Sanchez. I'm saying let the QB competition play out and see who emerges as the starter. You have a hungry player with a possible chance to secure a starting spot this year and potentially a starting spot for another team in the future. You cannot honestly tell me that you just want to cut ties because he played crappy in a ground and pound system with the worst wide receivers in the league and possibly the least dynamic rusher to go over 1,000 yards (also under 4 YAC and cannot block or catch all that well). Come on now, you cannot seriously say that Sanchez is supposed to succeed when there were games that Cumberland, Kerley, Gilyard, and Schillens were his top receivers. Corners laughed at our wide receivers last year as the season went on, guaranteed.

Flacco would have never won the superbowl without some of the acrobatic catches we saw from his playmakers. Plus, he could hand it off to Ray Rice or hit him out of the backfield. Along with that, the Ravens line was playing about as well as they were all season. Did Sanchez's lineup of playmakers look anything close to Boldin, Torrey Smith, Ray Rice, Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, & even Jacoby Jones?
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 05-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.

You act like we have other QBs on this roster that we can turn to. Garrard, McElroy, and Smith are all question marks at this point to. They are probably bigger question marks than Sanchez considering none have taken many snaps in the NFL over the past 2 years. Garrard is an injury risk, McElroy is a 2nd stringer at best, and Geno Smith has never taken an NFL snap.

Like I said before, John Idzik does not care what the fans think. We all wanted Tebow gone the day Idzik was hired, but it was dragged out. We all want Braylon back, but it has not happened. We all wanted to see us draft a tight end and a safety, but it didn't happen. We all thought Sanchez would be cut after Geno was drafted, but it has not happened. A large part of the fan base thought he was idiotic for trading Revis but he could care less.

We are talking about a GM who isn't giving out large contracts, who is restructuring big contracts left and right, and who gave out less than $6mil guaranteed on every single FA signing COMBINED, and who does not rush to decisions. So you REALLY think he will cut Sanchez and take the cap hit just to make you season ticket holders happy? I'm sorry, but it is not happening unless he is not one of the top 3 in the competition.
    I think Woody is a meddling owner and signs the checks. I think that's why Tebow was here. I think that's why Rex is still head coach. And I think that's partly why Idzik was hired.

As such, yes, I do. The cap hit is irrelevant. McElroy showed heart and leadership. His skillset is basically the same or slightly better than Sanchez's.

Which is the cherry on top: He's not one of the top 3 QBs in camp anyway. lol.

You said you're a season ticket holder so you are going to spend money and not go to games? That's like owing Sanchez guaranteed money and just cutting him before you see what you get. Just sounds like an uneducated decision IMHO.
    Know what a personal seat license is?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post

Jets88NY: "Hey guys! Give me your opinion if we're better off this year!"

Poster: "My opinion is, no, we are not better off."

Jets88NY: "You are wrong. You are annoying. You are garbage. I am not talking to you."

Comedy Gold. You can't make this stuff up.

SAR I

Comedy Gold. You can't make this stuff up.

SAR I
    Like how Sanchez has a 30% chance to be "salvaged?"

One of the funniest and saddest things in all of Jetsdom are Sanchez apologists and guys who still think he can pan out.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

While this lousy season is going to suck for most Jets fans, it's an AFC East Championship for season ticket holders:

Steelers
    Patriots
    Saints
    Dolphins
    Raiders

All 1:00 Sunday starts. All in warm weather. All guaranteed wins for the visiting teams. I'm expecting 2x face value on these five games in aggregate. Going to make a killing on the Jets getting killed.

My Browns seats already sold at face value.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Like how Sanchez has a 30% chance to be "salvaged?"

One of the funniest and saddest things in all of Jetsdom are Sanchez apologists and guys who still think he can pan out.
    I am not apologizing for Mark Sanchez. He sucks right now.

NFL history is filled with players put in a bad situation who rise from the dead. Favre. Young. Warner. Bradshaw. Plunkett. And none of them ever "failed" by starting in 6 playoff games before their 23rd birthday and winning 4 of them.

30% chance he can be salvaged. Let's find out and put the mystery to bed. At worst, he'll cost us 2 extra losses this year and going 3-13 is a lot better than going 5-11 for our expansion team anyway.

SAR I

Know what a personal seat license is?
    I didn't realize you were able to get your PSL for free. Please give me the link because I'd love that.

(a) Licensee (i) shall have the right and the obligation to purchase admission tickets for the Seats for all pre-season and regular season home games of the Jets scheduled to be played at the Stadium
    Go ahead and give up/sell your PSL if you'd like. Woody's wallet will not even realize that a dime fell out when you do not purchase your tickets this year.

Go ahead and give up/sell your PSL if you'd like. Woody's wallet will not even realize that a dime fell out when you do not purchase your tickets this year.
    Already tried. Not happening.

While this lousy season is going to suck for most Jets fans, it's an AFC East Championship for season ticket holders:

Steelers
    Patriots
    Saints
    Dolphins
    Raiders

All 1:00 Sunday starts. All in warm weather. All guaranteed wins for the visiting teams. I'm expecting 2x face value on these five games in aggregate. Going to make a killing on the Jets getting killed.

My Browns seats already sold at face value.

SAR I
    I never said buying and selling tickets was a bad idea. I just pray you sell all your tickets and the Jets end up being good.

Btw, the Raiders don't have a guaranteed win against anyone this year. You cannot type that on this forum without laughing to yourself as you do it.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 05-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.