Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Better off?

Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post
    how many of the 38 thousand posts youve made were positive / agreeing with people?
    Like that matters? This is a discussion forum, not a fan club. There is nothing to be optimistic about right now, all this draft-love fades quickly, you see what's left isn't very good.

The better question: How many of your 25 posts criticize other posters?

SAR I

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I would have traded up a few spots for that playmaking WR in the first round.

I would have taken that TE in the second round.

I would look at other team's established #2 WR and traded for one of those.

We signed Holmes who is on the back side and is coming off a major injury. Hill is as advertised- Mr. Dropsy. Keller is gone. After that is a bag of pucks. That's no way to enter the 2013 season. Our passing game is worse than last year, unacceptable.

SAR I
    Yes because the jets are in position to trade up and lose picks for a 5-8 wr. Brilliant Idea.

All Pro
    That's excellent news.

We can slam Mark Sanchez all day long, but the single biggest issue that crushed the kid was the loss of LT as a reliable dump-off safety valve. Sparano's offense didn't need one, apparently, so getting Morningsig and Goodson will improve completion percentage, first downs, and touchdowns if what you say comes to fruition.

SAR I
    Hi,
    I enjoy your posting abilities.
    I also take issue with the above highlighted. While in theory, i agree LT was a great safety valve for Sanchez, if losing your safety valve(whom wasnt a WR) results in the play we saw last year from Mark, there are bigger issues without doubt than a dump off 33 y/o LT.

It should have affected his play sure, but cmon, linking Mark and LT together as a recipe for success is borderline absurd.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    If the QB isn't up to snuff--you quit? Do you have any idea what the man makes a year? Hey, based on what I can see with the QB's we are auditioning, he might be quitting again this year.
    Why are you attacking someone's arguement that basically agreed with you? Lol..not long ago Holmes was a top 10 receiver (before he came to play with Sanchez) a Super Bowl MVP. Yet we were still able to acquire him for only a 5th round draft pick? Because he is diva, the failed drug test and had a attitude .. But he did help this team win and came up big in playoffs.. He still is only 29.. Sure he should have NEVER quit on the team just because Sanchez turned into a joke of a qb in 2012 and ever since.. I haven't forgave him for that.. Of course had we cut him its just more fuel for the idiot trolls to say how bad our WR corps is.. I agree with trading for Holmes, for a 5th was worth it.. MT grossly overpaid when he resigned him, and of course just as in Sanchez case contract is not cut friendly.. MT also traded up to the top of the 2nd rd to select hill.. He appears to be a project, hopefully is ready to play this year.. There were many more nfl ready WR on the board but MT always liked the project and gave up 5th rd pick to trade up. Along with a wasted 4th round pick for tebow.. And we wasted a 1st rd pick on a player we even traded up to pick in 2009 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The schedule is brutal, we'll be underdogs in almost every game
    Looks like we ended up being favored in 5 according to early vegas lines.

Like that matters? This is a discussion forum, not a fan club. There is nothing to be optimistic about right now, all this draft-love fades quickly, you see what's left isn't very good.

The better question: How many of your 25 posts criticize other posters?

SAR I
    5, all criticizing you...make that 6.

That's excellent news.

We can slam Mark Sanchez all day long, but the single biggest issue that crushed the kid was the loss of LT as a reliable dump-off safety valve. Sparano's offense didn't need one, apparently, so getting Morningsig and Goodson will improve completion percentage, first downs, and touchdowns if what you say comes to fruition.

SAR I
    i actually agree with this. greene hurt the passing game a lot. the best passing offenses typically have rbs who can catch and run.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Hi,
    I enjoy your posting abilities.
    I also take issue with the above highlighted. While in theory, i agree LT was a great safety valve for Sanchez, if losing your safety valve(whom wasnt a WR) results in the play we saw last year from Mark, there are bigger issues without doubt than a dump off 33 y/o LT.

It should have affected his play sure, but cmon, linking Mark and LT together as a recipe for success is borderline absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i actually agree with this. greene hurt the passing game a lot. the best passing offenses typically have rbs who can catch and run.
    In 29 games in '10 and '11 Ladanian Tomlinson had 94 receptions for 817 yards and 31 first downs.

In 32 games in '11 and '12 Shonn Greene had 49 receptions for 362 yards and 9 first downs.

For an offense admittedly challenged at WR, TE, QB, and RB, not having a backfield receiving threat was a huge blow.

SAR I

I'm sorry, I don't speak generalities.

Traded up what, with whom, to get which playmaking WR? I assume you mean the youngster from WVU. Who do you trade with, what did you offer, to get him?

Which TE do you mean in the 2nd round?

Once answer, your decisions add new questions:

1. Who are your four Conerbacks in 2013 if you do not select Milliner?

2. Who is your starting DT's given the loss of Pouha/Devito in 2013, and not selecting Richardson.

3. You've said repeatedly that Sanchez cannot win without a dominant Defense and a dominant running game. How does selecting a short speed WR who cannot block and a pass-catching TE help create the ideal SAR-defined Sanchez winning situation, as you see it?

4. How do you see the kid from WVU as different than Holmes, specificly? Both are shorter, speedier recievers. How do you see the rookie WR, given your previosu comment regarding misplaced hope in rookie production, being a superior option to Holmes, assuming healthy.

We signed Holmes who is on the back side and is coming off a major injury. Hill is as advertised- Mr. Dropsy. Keller is gone. After that is a bag of pucks. That's no way to enter the 2013 season. Our passing game is worse than last year, unacceptable.

SAR I
    I agree re: Holmes, but once done, it's done. Spilled milk and all that at this point, we are tied to him financially.

Hill was a rookie, I'd suggest writing him off forever now is a bit premature.

Keller was hurt almost all year last year, hence his loss does not change 2012 vs. 2013.

Kerley is far from a "bag of pucks", he's a well regarded and taleented slot reciever.

We still have 4 months to see who or what might shake loose, or who or what may develop out fo teh young kids on our roster.
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.

In 29 games in '10 and '11 Ladanian Tomlinson had 94 receptions for 817 yards and 31 first downs.

In 32 games in '11 and '12 Shonn Greene had 49 receptions for 362 yards and 9 first downs.

For an offense admittedly challenged at WR, TE, QB, and RB, not having a backfield receiving threat was a huge blow.

SAR I
    with all the focus on the jets churning wrs the biggest loss was taking LT out on 3rd downs and using greene as a full time back. that was rex's doing, he has demonstrated he knows very little about offense and we all have to hope that the new gm and oc minimize rex's antiquated influences in this regard.

Jets Insider VIP
    In 2011 WITH LT THE MAGIC SAFETY VALVE on the field for every game SAR's boy Mark Buttfumble was responsible for 26 turnovers same as in 2012.

Time to come up with a new line of shtick to defend the indefensibly awful Suckchez

Rookie

SAR I
    In case you didn't get the memo, Idzig's plan is to draft BPA and sign FA's for need. You may disagree with his plan but at least he has one and I believe most fans think it's a good one.

In your scenario which QB is throwing to your shiny new TE and WR's? What happens when MS chokes? What happens when Garrard gets hurt? And how is the team better off?

I think the Jets as is will surprise on the upside in 2013. I think Idzig knows best till proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    In case you didn't get the memo, Idzig's plan is to draft BPA and sign FA's for need. You may disagree with his plan but at least he has one and I believe most fans think it's a good one.

In your scenario which QB is throwing to your shiny new TE and WR's? What happens when MS chokes? What happens when Garrard gets hurt? And how is the team better off?

I think the Jets as is will surprise on the upside in 2013. I think Idzig knows best till proven otherwise.
    His hands are somewhat tied until Sanchez, Brick, and Holmes can be dumped after next year.

This is a waste year. Anybody with a brain sees that. It still doesn't make the retention of Rex any less perplexing unless Woody is as awful as I think he is and he thinks Rex is going to be his Chuck Noll.

All Pro

SAR I
    Seriously, great points.
    Not tooting my horn, but i was also saying how the LT loss was going to be a big loss for Mark, i even created a thread last year about this time regarding the lack of RB pass catchers, and it was one of the few times i would consider myself "attacked".

that aside, you and i differ on Mark Sanchez and possibly the QB position as a whole....I still want to stress my point;a true Franchise QB wouldnt let the loss of a past his prime LT cave his career in. The great ones plug in and move on.

and yes, it does have to do with the talent level. I would never say Mark needs to work miracles with HS players, but there is something to be said for his ability to do ANYTHING on his own.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    His hands are somewhat tied until Sanchez, Brick, and Holmes can be dumped after next year.

This is a waste year. Anybody with a brain sees that. It still doesn't make the retention of Rex any less perplexing unless Woody is as awful as I think he is and he thinks Rex is going to be his Chuck Noll.
    I'm surprised you lumped D'Brick in with those other two. Holmes is gone I hope and unless MS has a miracle year he's gone too. Ferguson though while not a hall of famer is well above average and I expect he'll be retained. After all, we'll have the cap space and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

When you consider that Revis, Keller, Holmes, and Pouha were out or subpar all year we've actually improved over 2012, except for safety. We still have a bit of cap room to improve there with a camp castoff so all in all I think 2013 team is stronger than 2012 team. BTW Marty M is a huge upgrade at OC.

(ps: I like Rex)

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

I'm sorry, I don't speak generalities.
    I'm sorry, I don't speak specifics.

I'm not a general manager, never wish to be. I just know that the weakest squad on the entire team last year was WR/TE and we didn't do anything to address it. One does not have to be an NFL executive to see that.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    with all the focus on the jets churning wrs the biggest loss was taking LT out on 3rd downs and using greene as a full time back. that was rex's doing, he has demonstrated he knows very little about offense and we all have to hope that the new gm and oc minimize rex's antiquated influences in this regard.
    Unfortunately, looks like we're set up for business as usual.

GM is an operator, a cap guy in over his head. The OC was hired by Ryan and reports to Ryan, no change there.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

Drafting BPA works unless a) it replaces someone you could have kept who was better, b) it's a position of great redundancy and c) it's a position that can do more harm than good.

a) Revis
    b) DE
    c) QB5

I agree with accumulating draft picks and getting younger if that's the plan. We just need to do it smartly. The first three picks in the draft were baffling. Cromartie is a solid CB1. CB2 was not as important as WR1 or TE1. We have enough DE's to start an all-DE team. The QB should be the pick next season when there are blue-chippers available.

SAR I

Veteran
    I'm sorry, I don't speak specifics.

I'm not a general manager, never wish to be. I just know that the weakest squad on the entire team last year was WR/TE and we didn't do anything to address it. One does not have to be an NFL executive to see that.

SAR I
    Yes you are not a gm yet you think you know exactly what type of gm we have and that he is already a failure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

We got a GM that no one else wanted.
    We kept the HC we should have dumped.
    We lost 13 starters and our entire coaching staff.
    We didn't get enough value for the CB we traded.
    We let our old scouting department run the draft.
    We took a CB when we had bigger priorities.
    We took a DE we didn't need.
    We didn't get the WR that we desperately needed.
    We ignored skill positions that could provide big impact.
    We took a QB that blocks us from taking a good one next season.

Yeah, so far so good, very exciting, things are looking up.

SAR I