S. Pouha
    M. DeVito*
    M. Slauson
    B. Moore
    D. Keller*
    C. Schilens
    S. Greene

*Denotes players expected to contribute starter type minutes for new teams

So of all the players we lost, many who were starters, only 4 are expected to be 'starters' or something close on their new team. If you want to count S.Greene who might get 5-10 snaps per game, then it is 5.

My point here is, if you get rid of 13 players, 11 who were essentially 'starters', and only 4 of them are starters for other teams, then that says something.

Maybe we will be better then expected simply by cutting the fat we did. Seems like the NFL agrees the guys we cut had to go. Sometimes, turnover is a good thing.

All League
    Reasonable. The Jets will not be the worst team in the league, not by a long shot. That being said, we still have glaring holes at S, OLB, TE, and a ? at QB.

Hall Of Fame
    We are definitely getting younger and more athletic. But almost all the defensive replacements will be downgrades, at least in the short term. It is hard to assume rookies are going to step in a play lights out.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. If some of these kids pan out we can be right back in the thick of things in a couple of years.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good post ... I'm not your target audience though

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Reasonable. The Jets will not be the worst team in the league, not by a long shot. That being said, we still have glaring holes at S, OLB, TE, and a ? at QB.
    I am not sure that with the proposed switch of Coples to something resembling a 4/3 end or a 3/4 OLb we will be seeing a big hole at OLB.
    He could very well turn into a monster in tht role.

As far as S and TE, don't forget that there are cuts coming on many teams and there are usually some players available that still have something left in the tank. Or some of the guys now on our roster who didn't play much last year could step up. Allen and Bush didn't see the field much last year but Rex saw them every day in practice. Maybe he knows something we don't??????

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    My point here is, if you get rid of 13 players, 11 who were essentially 'starters', and only 4 of them are starters for other teams, then that says something.
    Ummmmm...talk about failed logic.

What really matters is who you replace them with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Ummmmm...talk about failed logic.

What really matters is who you replace them with.
    Replacing the first player chosen in the 1993 draft with the 2nd of 3 6th rd picks in the 2000 draft worked wonders for the Pats..

Jets Insider VIP
    One minute please: We have a guy at TE who ran a 4.5 40 at 240 pounds. He now has experience. He also ruins routed decently and has average hands! Cumberland was a former wide receiver! Reuland is vastly underrated! He blocks and can catch the intermediate passes. The aussie is a world class athlete. Maybe he can open eyes and shut mouths!

at safety we have two kids we drafted last year plus Landry for experience.

OLB Ricky Sapp, Barnes, can both step up and both are very fast. Plus we have Pace back with us. Not proven but lets give them a shot before we declare disaster.

QB- I believe in Garrard and maybe Sucky will see the light of day with a real OC. Smith was the best QB in this class. Do not believe the crap being printed.

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    One minute please: We have a guy at TE who ran a 4.5 40 at 240 pounds. He now has experience. He also ruins routed decently and has average hands! Cumberland was a former wide receiver! Reuland is vastly underrated! He blocks and can catch the intermediate passes. The aussie is a world class athlete. Maybe he can open eyes and shut mouths!

at safety we have two kids we drafted last year plus Landry for experience.

OLB Ricky Sapp, Barnes, can both step up and both are very fast. Plus we have Pace back with us. Not proven but lets give them a shot before we declare disaster.

QB- I believe in Garrard and maybe Sucky will see the light of day with a real OC. Smith was the best QB in this class. Do not believe the crap being printed.

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!
    I consider myself a homer...but to look at our S/TE/OLB options and to say we're in good shape is pretty silly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I consider myself a homer...but to look at our S/TE/OLB options and to say we're in good shape is pretty silly.
    It's also silly to judge the team now instead of the final version that will take the field on opening day..

consider who actually played olb and te for the jets most of last year. we're no worse at this point.

I keep looking at the first initial of their names and go down the list to see if it spells some secret code. nada.

Rookie
    I don't believe he said the Jets were in "good shape"...... but, he gave very reasonable opinions, as to why they're not exactly worse off than last year.

The safety position is not a "glaring hole"..... there are players, on the roster, that the Jets are high on--- they will compete, with camp cuts yet to come.

Ditto with the TE spots..... Cumberland was the de-facto starter, last year, with Reuland and Smith gaining experience. They signed a couple of UDFAs with a lot of pass catching potential.

OLB will, again, be settled with competition..... younger, faster bodies on the roster, including an UDFA that could make noise, in Troy Davis. Again, camp cuts yet to come.

They are not any worse off than last year. The problem with the pessimistic approach, is that it doesn't allow for improvement, through coaching, playing time/experience, and maturing, in general.

Jets Insider VIP
    pretty simple

the only thing that could make the 13 Jets worse than the 12 Jets would be the return of the Turnover Machine to the starting QB position

Hopefully, he is released around June 1 and the Jets can move forward positively towards the new season

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    pretty simple

the only thing that could make the 13 Jets worse than the 12 Jets would be the return of the Turnover Machine to the starting QB position

Hopefully, he is released around June 1 and the Jets can move forward positively towards the new season
    He will not be released. Prepare yourself for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    One thing I have not seen mentioned about Cumberland is the fact that he wasn't even a year removed from his Achilles surgery when camp started last year. I was surprised he was even able to contribute at all early last year. He should be near full recovery by now and should have a little more spring in his step when camp opens.

Jets Insider VIP
    I should have added the biggest one: Sparano.

That alone is addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I should have added the biggest one: Sparano.

That alone is addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    pretty simple

Just curious did the Mods make you take "Tijuana" out of Tijuana Turnover Machine?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Just curious did the Mods make you take "Tijuana" out of Tijuana Turnover Machine?
    They asked him to use Tulum or Tampico instead..