Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For all you pessimists....

I think the team will be better than last year. Last years team was virtually unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Ummmmm...talk about failed logic.

What really matters is with whom you replace them.
    fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post

My point here is, if you get rid of 13 players, 11 who were essentially 'starters', and only 4 of them are starters for other teams, then that says something.

It says the Jets have been terrible at evaluating talent for years, and keep in mind the front office is largely the same, aside from the GM.

I should have added the biggest one: Sparano.

That alone is addition by subtraction.
    Sparano and knowing what decision making authority that he had makes it difficult to evaluate some of the offensive talent on this team.

I mean, how many people here place any value on Sparano's opinion of any of the WRs ? Or TE's ? Or RB's ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    It says the Jets have been terrible at evaluating talent for years, and keep in mind the front office is largely the same, aside from the GM.
    I think just on the offensive side of the ball cause we have not had an offensive minded head coach since Kotite. Probably scared them for decades.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Sparano and knowing what decision making authority that he had makes it difficult to evaluate some of the offensive talent on this team.

I mean, how many people here place any value on Sparano's opinion of any of the WRs ? Or TE's ? Or RB's ?
    Good point. I feel anytime you bring in a new coordinator (a real one), some new talent will emerge from the previous lot.

I think just on the offensive side of the ball cause we have not had an offensive minded head coach since Kotite. Probably scared them for decades.

I respectfully disagree. Look at our LBs. Maybe the worst group in the league. Other than Revis, what have we done in the secondary?

Jets Insider VIP
    I respectfully disagree. Look at our LBs. Maybe the worst group in the league. Other than Revis, what have we done in the secondary?
    LBs? One of the worst in the league? Are you kidding? We have David Harris and DeMario Davis who the NYG would die to have right now.

Then we have Barnes, Pace, Oh Canada, and Coples on the outside.

Other then Revis, we drafted Kerry Rhodes (4th round) and Kyle Wilson in the secondary. Eric Smith as well, though he was not worth a 3rd round pick.

Plus, its kind of silly to ask, other then Revis, what have we done. When you move up to select a once in a generation type player then you get props. That alone shows the ability of this front office.

I think with Tanny at the helm, the scouting was good, but the decision making poor. They went for the homeruns every time. You can't build a team like that cause if you miss, then you strikeout.

LBs? One of the worst in the league? Are you kidding? We have David Harris and DeMario Davis who the NYG would die to have right now.

Then we have Barnes, Pace, Oh Canada, and Coples on the outside.

Other then Revis, we drafted Kerry Rhodes (4th round) and Kyle Wilson in the secondary. Eric Smith as well, though he was not worth a 3rd round pick.

Plus, its kind of silly to ask, other then Revis, what have we done. When you move up to select a once in a generation type player then you get props. That alone shows the ability of this front office.

I think with Tanny at the helm, the scouting was good, but the decision making poor. They went for the homeruns every time. You can't build a team like that cause if you miss, then you strikeout.
    Harris is ok, but Davis? Has he played a down yet? Barnes=journeyman, coples=again, never played a down at LB, mcintyre=journeyman; pace=mediocre in his prime and now old.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I keep looking at the first initial of their names and go down the list to see if it spells some secret code. nada.
    Play it backwards, multiply by the square root of (SB) III and it spells

S
    U
    P
    E
    R
    B
    O
    W
    L
    X
    L
    V
    I
    I
    I
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I consider myself a homer...but to look at our S/TE/OLB options and to say we're in good shape is pretty silly.
    safety we shall see what bush is this year maybe he solves one safety spot for a long time. we need to find out soon

te no worse than last year as keller had a bad leg and was useless all year

olb we got rid of BT thats all that has changed. we now have Coples out there and moving around all over we have Pace and Mcintyre ( who was servicable) and now Barnes who can get after the passer. we might see a huge upgrade here if it works out

Rookie
    Harris is ok, but Davis? Has he played a down yet? Barnes=journeyman, coples=again, never played a down at LB, mcintyre=journeyman; pace=mediocre in his prime and now old.
    Davis got plenty of playing time, last year, showing enough that the confidence in him is earned. If you paid attention, Coples lined up at OLB, many times, over the last few games. You wanna call Barnes a journeyman.... fine, but he's a journeyman capable of double digit sacks.... he's done it before. If you don't like them, fine.... but don't call them one of the worst in the league, it just makes you sound overdramatic and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    One minute please: We have a guy at TE who ran a 4.5 40 at 240 pounds. He now has experience. He also ruins routed decently and has average hands! Cumberland was a former wide receiver! Reuland is vastly underrated! He blocks and can catch the intermediate passes. The aussie is a world class athlete. Maybe he can open eyes and shut mouths!

at safety we have two kids we drafted last year plus Landry for experience.

OLB Ricky Sapp, Barnes, can both step up and both are very fast. Plus we have Pace back with us. Not proven but lets give them a shot before we declare disaster.

QB- I believe in Garrard and maybe Sucky will see the light of day with a real OC. Smith was the best QB in this class. Do not believe the crap being printed.

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!
    AND... Everyone is still living in 2011 with turnstile regarding our OLine. We were ranked #3 in the league by the end of last year by PFF. Add our draft upgrades\depth and a competent OC, the OLine has a shot at being phenomenal this year.

Add in our new RBs who don't headbutt the first defender they see and the running game has serious potential.

I'm not that well versed in our TEs but am definitely pulling for Hayden to contribute.

Finally, there is enough diversity in our QB corps that I don't believe we will be as miserable there as last year. Sanchez is going to be much better (everything is relative) and Garrard will probably be able to pull off some good stuff if he plays. Who knows what Geno can pull off but the potential is certainly there.

I'm officially on the homer squad this year, the schedule is brutal but will be great for toughening up the young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    but don't call them one of the worst in the league, it just makes you sound overdramatic and ignorant.

No need for name calling. Let's agree to disagree. I don't recall seeing Coples standing up or dropping back in coverage much last year, but I also didn't watch much of the last few games, so if it happened, I'll take your word for it. As for Antwan Barnes, Garrett McIntyre, Josh Mauga, et al, if you think that is an upper echelon group of LBs, then I don't know what to tell you. To me, it is pure mediocrity - which is what our LBs have been since Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones were in their prime.

Rookie
    No need for name calling. Let's agree to disagree. I don't recall seeing Coples standing up or dropping back in coverage much last year, but I also didn't watch much of the last few games, so if it happened, I'll take your word for it. As for Antwan Barnes, Garrett McIntyre, Josh Mauga, et al, if you think that is an upper echelon group of LBs, then I don't know what to tell you. To me, it is pure mediocrity - which is what our LBs have been since Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones were in their prime.
    I didn't mean it as name calling, so I apologize for that. However, I didn't call that group, " upper echelon"..... I said that Barnes has been a double digit sack guy, which is a little more than JAG/journeyman level. So, with Coples, Harris, Davis, and Barnes/Pace..... yes, I think that's a good group, at the LB spots. Add to that, the depth of McIntyre, Mauga and Sapp.... whom all might just be JAGs, but they've been in the system for years now and are very capable backups. I feel okay about our LB corp..... younger and faster, has to be an improvement over older and slower.

Jets Insider VIP

Cool

Lol. The media got a hold of you. Let me explain the reality of the situation. Coples is not being moved to a traditional OLB position. He is playing the Terrell Suggs role in which the primary responsibility is to rush the passer. Suggs dropped into coverage like 7% of the time, and Coples last year had a Lil higher % of dropping into coverage. What really changes now is Coples gets to attack the edge, which he prefers. He also gets to switch between standing and his hand in the dirt. I expect our pass rush to be much improved with this upgraded group of LBs.

harris is pretty good davis played about 200 snaps on D and 300 on ST i guess you missed the butt fumble cause he played all game coples played the last 2 games of the standing up missed those games as well i guess mcintyre is not half bad and is still young and pace we brought back cause he know the system oh and a guy who avg 8 to 10 sacks a year barnes can journey to my team if he gives us that

watch a game or 2 and see who is out there and dont listen to the announcers

Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    harris is pretty good davis played about 200 snaps on D and 300 on ST i guess you missed the butt fumble cause he played all game coples played the last 2 games of the standing up missed those games as well i guess mcintyre is not half bad and is still young and pace we brought back cause he know the system oh and a guy who avg 8 to 10 sacks a year barnes can journey to my team if he gives us that

watch a game or 2 and see who is out there and dont listen to the announcers

Yes, I am completely brainwashed by "announcers" and "the media." You guys are right, the Jets' linebacking corps is an elite unit. Jeesh. I guess that explains their dominance the past few years...

All League
    I should have added the biggest one: Sparano.

That alone is addition by subtraction.
    Dont forget the ****ing Tebow disaster...

We were an old, slow team, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We still don't have a Tight End or a Free Safety worth anything - after Holmes, a No.2, and Kerley, strictly a slot WR, we have huge questions at receiver (although I do like the upside of Hill) and we have a gigantic question mark at the most important position on the team and that is Quarterback - not to mention not knowing where our outside pass rush is coming from. We assume Coples, but at North Carolina he was better on the inside than he was on the outside. Will that change here? We hope so, because Wilkerson and Richardson have to be the inside players or ends now.

We have gotten younger and in some areas of the team, better, but a lot of question marks remain and there will be holes - like TE, FS and maybe WR/QB - that will not be addressed until next offseason because of our lack of resources this year.

This is not a Super Bowl or playoff team this year. It isn't. But it could be a playoff team next year if things go right.