Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for another SUV, *****es....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    My wife had an Acura RDX (Honda CRV) but with the third kid coming in September, she needs a bigger one with a 3rd row. Two (annoying) caveats: No minivan and had to have 2nd row bucket seats. We got a Buick Enclave last month and it's freakin awesome.
    MDX?
    Also is it true the RDX will only take premium gasoline? WLF, too rich for my blood.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    My fiancee just got a GMC Terrain. Pretty nice midsize SUV (actually I think they classify it as a crossover). To be honest, it's one of the few SUV's that, in my opinion, is actually nice looking.
    I know they are essentially under the same umbrella, but can Chevy and GMC at least try a little harder to make their vehicles look different? The Terrain is a dead ringer for the Equinox, I think the Traverse is the same as the Acadia (the nicest of the lot IMO)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    MDX?
    Also is it true the RDX will only take premium gasoline? WLF, too rich for my blood.
    Can't get an MDX with 2nd row bucket seats as far as I know. After a few years putting premium in the RDX we were done with Acuras.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I know they are essentially under the same umbrella, but can Chevy and GMC at least try a little harder to make their vehicles look different? The Terrain is a dead ringer for the Equinox, I think the Traverse is the same as the Acadia (the nicest of the lot IMO)
    You're right, its basically the same car, but I actually like the Terrain better than the Equinox. The Terrain has cool, boxy fender flares, I like the angles. The Equinox looks a little bulbous, like a minivan in hiding under its trench coat.

You said mid size in your original post, but most are posting about full sized SUVs. Which are you really leaning toward? I just helped my SIL out negotiating a lease on a Honda CRV LX AWD for $249/mo with about $1500 down. Nice mid sized SUV with decent mileage. A lot of bang for short money IMO. (The Pilot's a monster in comparison)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You said mid size in your original post, but most are posting about full sized SUVs. Which are you really leaning toward? I just helped my SIL out negotiating a lease on a Honda CRV LX AWD for $249/mo with about $1500 down. Nice mid sized SUV with decent mileage. A lot of bang for short money IMO. (The Pilot's a monster in comparison)
    Wife has a CRV now, so essentially something with a little more cargo space, but nothing obscenely large that is going to kill me on gas, really. Technically most of those SUV's are classified as mid-sized - full sized fall into the category of Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, etc.

All League
    I was going to comment on the Pilot. Well said ^^. Pilot's get like 14 MPG, and are definitely big. Hauling around a ton of unnecessary steel self weight every mile.

Besides, why do you want a big SUV? You'll look like a soccer mom driving the Titanic around every day with nothing in it.

What you need is a man type vehicle that can haul things when you need it. Not a pickup, too blue collar for you. Not a station wagon, too Griswold for you.

You need an El Camino.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I was going to comment on the Pilot. Well said ^^. Pilot's get like 14 MPG, and are definitely big. Hauling around a ton of unnecessary steel self weight every mile.

Besides, why do you want a big SUV? You'll look like a soccer mom driving the Titanic around every day with nothing in it.

What you need is a man type vehicle that can haul things when you need it. Not a pickup, too blue collar for you. Not a station wagon, too Griswold for you.

You need an El Camino.

Honda Pilot isn't big...but it sure is fugly
    If only they made a larger version of the Subaru Brat.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Wife has a CRV now, so essentially something with a little more cargo space, but nothing obscenely large that is going to kill me on gas, really. Technically most of those SUV's are classified as mid-sized - full sized fall into the category of Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, etc.
    Of the choices, in short I would get the Pilot, forget the Cruiser, unfortunately.

How about a VW Toureg? My wife drives the smaller version. Nicer fit and finish than any American car. Many high end features that are Audi based, like the variable speed tranny that's smooth as butter. Zero problems with the wife's car and I love my Audi. (Wouldn't have touched either brand 10 years ago)

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    How about a VW Toureg? My wife drives the smaller version. Nicer fit and finish than any American car. Many high end features that are Audi based, like the variable speed tranny that's smooth as butter. Zero problems with the wife's car and I love my Audi. (Wouldn't have touched either brand 10 years ago)
    I would not buy a Toureg. I worked for VW.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Tiguan?
    I'll have to admit that they are pretty decent in the looks department, but I think they are overpriced a bit.

Plus I have a certain disdain for some VW drivers - mainly the jerkoffs that drive VW Jettas and think its a free license to tailgate and weave through traffic.
    Am I the only one that sees this?

The Tiguan?
    I'll have to admit that they are pretty decent in the looks department, but I think they are overpriced a bit.

Plus I have a certain disdain for some VW drivers - mainly the jerkoffs that drive VW Jettas and think its a free license to tailgate and weave through traffic.
    Am I the only one that sees this?
    +1 on many VW drivers.

Yeah, the Tiguan is a bit pricier than it's counterparts at list price. I got her's for $3000 off MSRP plus I got about $3k more on my trade than what it was worth, so the car ended up being a great value. I love the full length sunroof in the thing. Next best thing to a convertible. Drives like a car.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

MDX?
    I have an 05' MDX. Personally, I think the older body looks better, but that's just me. If you're considering something pre-owned, I'd throw the MDX in the mix - its a nice ride, has some cargo space but isn't as big as a Suburban. Plus, if you take as good care of it as I do ($100 A/C filters, get the alignment done constantly, etc.) , it will run for a long while.

The price on the MDX has gone up though now if you aren't looking to break the bank.

Fishhooked....Think about it long and hard, do you REALLY want to take car advice from someone named "Crasherino"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Fishhooked....Think about it long and hard, do you REALLY want to take car advice from someone named "Crasherino"?
    But he knows about filters!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Says the guy who doesn't know how to spell Yastrzemski.....

Jets Insider VIP
    +1 on many VW drivers.

Right? I seriously don't get it.
    I swear, at least 50% of the time I am getting tailgated (regardless of what lane I am in), it's some doosh driving a Jetta, usually with some tinted or custom lenses over the headlights or something - they are even worse than the Fast & the Furious Crowd with their Hondas - at least the Hondas probably handle better...
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I have an 05' MDX. Personally, I think the older body looks better, but that's just me. If you're considering something pre-owned, I'd throw the MDX in the mix - its a nice ride, has some cargo space but isn't as big as a Suburban. Plus, if you take as good care of it as I do ($100 A/C filters, get the alignment done constantly, etc.) , it will run for a long while.

The price on the MDX has gone up though now if you aren't looking to break the bank.
    I agree with you on the older model MDX's....but I will pass on any mechanic advice you have to offer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Shame that you won't reconsider the Jeep, Fish. I'm loving my Grand Cherokee.