Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: Looking for another SUV, *****es....

  1. #41
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Shame that you won't reconsider the Jeep, Fish. I'm loving my Grand Cherokee.

    No way, they are dead to me. Like Homer's Revenge list.






    LOL @ 'Stern Lecture Plumbing'







    Ok, so now for the serious part of my thread.
    I've essentially got my down payment taken care of...so what next?

    Do I want into the dealer with my own financing, or is that a no-no?
    Or do I just pretend that Im going to finance through them, and then slip them a mickey by getting approved elsewhere?

    I'm really not looking forward to all of this BS that goes along with getting another vehicle.

    HALP!

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Ok, so now for the serious part of my thread.
    I've essentially got my down payment taken care of...so what next?

    Do I want into the dealer with my own financing, or is that a no-no?
    Or do I just pretend that Im going to finance through them, and then slip them a mickey by getting approved elsewhere?

    I'm really not looking forward to all of this BS that goes along with getting another vehicle.

    HALP!
    I feel your pain... the wife is on a kick to replace my old Jeep, something about it being less than safe, blah blah blah.

    I feel my blood pressure rising already at the thought of visiting dealerships.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Ok, so now for the serious part of my thread.
    I've essentially got my down payment taken care of...so what next?

    Do I want into the dealer with my own financing, or is that a no-no?
    Or do I just pretend that Im going to finance through them, and then slip them a mickey by getting approved elsewhere?

    I'm really not looking forward to all of this BS that goes along with getting another vehicle.

    HALP!
    You're 99% more likely to get a better deal at the bank than the dealership. A credit union - if you're already a member - is even better than a bank.

  4. #44
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I feel your pain... the wife is on a kick to replace my old Jeep, something about it being less than safe, blah blah blah.

    I feel my blood pressure rising already at the thought of visiting dealerships.
    I did do a pre-emptive visit to the dealership on a Sunday a few weeks ago. you can always find fellow cane_shakers there, not wanting to deal with salespeople and look at vehicles in peace.

    Quite often I'd find a few models are unlocked (why, I have no clue) so it gives you the opportunity to check out the inside as well, which is a bonus not having to ask a salesperson for a key first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    You're 99% more likely to get a better deal at the bank than the dealership. A credit union - if you're already a member - is even better than a bank.
    I'm a member of a CU but quite often their rates are just meh, in fact. We've seen that the last couple of times when she's needed a car.

    My concern is that I will tell them that Im interested in financing, which means they will love for me to finance with them so they could make some $ off of me for the long term. They would probably treat me like the plague if I pulled out financing from someone outside of their pool of lenders.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Subaru Forester

    the 2014s are available with variable transmission that allows it to get 32 MPG highway up from the 25-28 on the 2013

    extremely reliable and dependable


    add it to your list to consider
    SUBARU???? What are you Tom or Ray from Car Talk????


  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I'm a member of a CU but quite often their rates are just meh, in fact. We've seen that the last couple of times when she's needed a car.

    My concern is that I will tell them that Im interested in financing, which means they will love for me to finance with them so they could make some $ off of me for the long term. They would probably treat me like the plague if I pulled out financing from someone outside of their pool of lenders.
    You want the final amount of the car in writing before you start talking financing. If the dealership says they can knock $--- off the price if you finance with them before you have that piece of paper, walk.

  7. #47
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this comment on Reddit regarding a new car buying advice thread. Not sure if true, but awesome if it is.

    My dad pulled the best dealership buy I've ever seen. We walk into a dealer to look around and he quickly realizes that he is wearing the same khaki pants and blue polo all the salesmen. They even start waving to him, thinking he is a new guy, I guess. So after a while we split up on our own and he spots a ford he wants. Then, with balls made of steel, he WALKS INTO THE ****ING BREAK ROOM. He asks one of the salesmen what they are selling the truck for. The salesman runs and gets him a statistics sheet, including the bottom line.
    TL;DR my dad assassin's creed'd his way into a cheap car

  8. #48
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    SUBARU???? What are you Tom or Ray from Car Talk????

    If Subaru would finally make a mid to full size SUV that wasn't ugly as ****, they'd be my frontrunner.

    The Tribeca is being retired, but word is the Forester in 2014 is getting bigger, but im not sure how much bigger.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked up my 14 Forester 10 days ago. A bit bigger than my 2010 on the outside but much bigger in the cabin and the trunk. Has CVT transmission that increases hwy mpg to 32.

    Don't look any further, THIS is the one!

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    First let me qualify my remarks: For years I have been afraid to buy a Chrysler product due to poor quality and poor reliability. So please keep in mind that I am not some gung ho only buy Chrysler kinda guy. The last one I owned was a 69' Dodge in 1975.

    In 2009 Chrysler stopped making the Dodge Durango, which at that time was a horrendous vehicle in every way. Mercedes and Chrysler had already divorced but the development of the new Cherokee and Durango was well along the way. They were re-introduced in 2011 on a Mercedes M-class chasis. The main difference between them is the wheelbase. The Dodge has a longer wheelbase and 3 rows of seating, while the shorter wheelbase Jeep has only 2 rows.

    They are now a much better vehicle and have moved to the top of the pack by most accounts. Better looks, better interiors, better handling, better fuel economy and better quality are among the improvements to both. Some, even have a Mercedes transmission.

    I am not saying that this is the vehicle you should buy. I am merely suggesting you will be doing yourself a disservice, if you don't at least take one for test drive. I know I will when I am ready to buy my next vehicle. If you do a little research, you will see I speak the truth.

    Besides... I know it's true cause I read it on the internetz.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Just picked up my 14 Forester 10 days ago. A bit bigger than my 2010 on the outside but much bigger in the cabin and the trunk. Has CVT transmission that increases hwy mpg to 32.

    Don't look any further, THIS is the one!
    is the front passenger seat WAY lower than the driver seat? I'm not talking about about something a seat level adjustment could fix. My wife looked like a dwarf in that seat. The woman from the dealership said they were all like this. i find it hard to believe.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    POSSIBLY

    Mind you I don't have Bmw 3-series or Yukon Denail type of dolers lying around...and I'm certainly not out to impress people I don't know (or care about).

    But I have some specific models in mind and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them (positive or negative)

    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota FJ Cruiser (completely impractical but I love these)
    Subaru Tribeca (brother in law works for Subaru otherwise this probably wouldn't be on the list)
    Subaru Crosstek (too small, but love these too)
    Toyota 4Runner (the new redesign is kinda hideous though)
    Honda Pilot (see above, anyone know if these are due for a facelift?)


    Definitely looking mid-size SUV, would prefer something a little smaller but need something larger for overpacking on vacations, etc.

    Editorial note: How I anticipate this thread going:
    2013 Mitsubishi outlander sport. Smaller SUV plenty of space for 5 and luggage. Gets average of 24-28 mpg. Looks great and is priced around 19-21k. Try truecar.com.Saved a bunch with them. I paid 19k plus tax and tags.
    It has 5year 5"k bumper to bumper and 100k drive train.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    is the front passenger seat WAY lower than the driver seat? I'm not talking about about something a seat level adjustment could fix. My wife looked like a dwarf in that seat. The woman from the dealership said they were all like this. i find it hard to believe.
    Not in mine. I didn't notice that in any of those I looked at. The drivers side adjusts up quite high but they are the same height in mine

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    If Subaru would finally make a mid to full size SUV that wasn't ugly as ****, they'd be my frontrunner.

    The Tribeca is being retired, but word is the Forester in 2014 is getting bigger, but im not sure how much bigger.
    The Outback is sleeker now. They are all a hard drive for passengers in the rear especially over time. Flemington is a good dealership if you are near.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The Outback is sleeker now. They are all a hard drive for passengers in the rear especially over time. Flemington is a good dealership if you are near.
    Not digging the new sleeker looks, the rear window is harder to see out as it is much smaller. I actually prefer the Jeep design with lots of high square glass.

  16. #56
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    is the front passenger seat WAY lower than the driver seat? I'm not talking about about something a seat level adjustment could fix. My wife looked like a dwarf in that seat. .
    Mebbe your third ball descended to a point below your buddoks and gave you a telephone bookish rise in elevation due to its girth and swollen-ality.

    Did your pantses feel tighter or have you finally surrendered to daily sweatpants donning? The throbbing buldge in the reAR should have been a clue, prior to arse plantation in the new car. Two words; mirror

    -

  17. #57
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Just picked up my 14 Forester 10 days ago. A bit bigger than my 2010 on the outside but much bigger in the cabin and the trunk. Has CVT transmission that increases hwy mpg to 32.

    Don't look any further, THIS is the one!
    I haven't seen any '14s up close, I believe they were made bigger so I'll have to give them a look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    First let me qualify my remarks: For years I have been afraid to buy a Chrysler product due to poor quality and poor reliability. So please keep in mind that I am not some gung ho only buy Chrysler kinda guy. The last one I owned was a 69' Dodge in 1975.

    In 2009 Chrysler stopped making the Dodge Durango, which at that time was a horrendous vehicle in every way. Mercedes and Chrysler had already divorced but the development of the new Cherokee and Durango was well along the way. They were re-introduced in 2011 on a Mercedes M-class chasis. The main difference between them is the wheelbase. The Dodge has a longer wheelbase and 3 rows of seating, while the shorter wheelbase Jeep has only 2 rows.

    They are now a much better vehicle and have moved to the top of the pack by most accounts. Better looks, better interiors, better handling, better fuel economy and better quality are among the improvements to both. Some, even have a Mercedes transmission.

    I am not saying that this is the vehicle you should buy. I am merely suggesting you will be doing yourself a disservice, if you don't at least take one for test drive. I know I will when I am ready to buy my next vehicle. If you do a little research, you will see I speak the truth.

    Besides... I know it's true cause I read it on the internetz.

    I have been hearing quite a bit of positive press on Jeep & Chrysler lately, to tell you the truth. I'm still skittish though.

    The new Durangos are nice, but my god they are a big vehicle. I think the v6 might be a bit underpowered for that vehicle.

  18. #58
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    2013 Mitsubishi outlander sport. Smaller SUV plenty of space for 5 and luggage. Gets average of 24-28 mpg. Looks great and is priced around 19-21k. Try truecar.com.Saved a bunch with them. I paid 19k plus tax and tags.
    It has 5year 5"k bumper to bumper and 100k drive train.
    Not a fan of Mitsubishi, unless they have gotten their crash test ratings up significantly; they always seemed to be rated near in the bottom in those ratings.

    But does that truecar.com thing really work?

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    what about the new Santa Fe?


    Hyundai's have come a long way in terms of looks, quality and performance, while still remaining affordable.

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    what about the new Santa Fe?


    Hyundai's have come a long way in terms of looks, quality and performance, while still remaining affordable.
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe and it runs like new still.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us