Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith was never going to leave the draft

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Better yet, there are "fans" who actually believe this means something when it comes to his ability to play football.
    I agree it doesnt. Marino was a coke head, Roethlisberger raped a chic, Favre was addicted to pain killers, you either can play or you can not. The rest is just white noise that needs to fill the 24/7 news cycle of the NFL Network and ESPN.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Sanchez, and Tebow. I guarantee you that Sanchez would have sulked, and Tebow would not have even noticed. He would have been thankful just for the experience of being there, and getting to come back for another day. I know neither would have been angry, because neither of them got angry for being benched.
    Got to love guarantees.

Funny, sounded like Tebow was pissed and whined about being a backup and not playing last season.

But he wouldn't sulk.

All Pro
    Better yet, there are "fans" who actually believe this means something when it comes to his ability to play football.
    It does mean something. Not much, but it does go directly against the evidence that he's a punk that thinks he knows it all, and is not willing to listen to anyone. So he's emotional, but he is willing to take advice, and think things through. Also it's direct evidence that the media is spinning things to show him in a bad light.

All Pro
    Got to love guarantees.

Funny, sounded like Tebow was pissed and whined about being a backup and not playing last season.

But he wouldn't sulk.
    I can only guarantee it because being benched is the same thing, only worse. I never saw Tebow angry. Never heard about him being angry. Never saw, or heard about Sanchez being angry either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    'and the morning' ? you mean in the morning? which morning? of the draft? he said he was leaving at the end of the day not in the morning. it's on record. and so are the conversations with Rodgers.

let the revisionist history begin

edit:

so he was with him the day after he already changed his mind to come back - LOL I guess Kirwan missed the report of his own network from the night before where they reported Smith said he was leaving

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...raft-on-friday

as well as that of ESPN, NFLN, and who knows who else
    I suspect that Pat Kirwan (or any other writer) doesn't really have the time to read all articles where he writes as well. The guy currently writes for nfl.com, cnnsi, and other blogs. Furthermore he certainly didn't have time to watch every story on every player too. I don't know what reports he filed, wrote, and emailed. But just because he didn't respond to gossip about Geno Smtih, doesn't make it untrue.

One thing that has become apparent is that all media outlets (ESPN, CNNSI, CBSSports, even nfl.com) have a tendency to use the same anonymous sources to file a story. Take the yahoo story on Geno Smith. All the outlets that ripped Smith after the draft referenced the same specific article and same quote about

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Leading into the draft, word spread that Smith was preoccupied with his cell phone during pre-draft visits, texting friends and checking Twitter during meetings with team officials, as first reported by Yahoo! Sports.
    that paragraph showed up word for word all over the place. Even if it's true, just shows that the same source can get a quote used everywhere. If one person thought Geno Smith was going home (Perhaps he made a comment like, 'Oh man, I should just go home if I'm not going to be drafted') and reported it as "Geno Smith says he's leaving"... it takes an out of context statement and reports as fact.

Just imagine the heat Smith would have gotten if they caught him mouthing "That's a surprise" when the Bills drafted EJ Manuel, like Brady Quinn did when the Dolphins drafted Ted Ginn.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I suspect that Pat Kirwan (or any other writer) doesn't really have the time to read all articles where he writes as well. The guy currently writes for nfl.com, cnnsi, and other blogs. Furthermore he certainly didn't have time to watch every story on every player too. I don't know what reports he filed, wrote, and emailed. But just because he didn't respond to gossip about Geno Smtih, doesn't make it untrue.

One thing that has become apparent is that all media outlets (ESPN, CNNSI, CBSSports, even nfl.com) have a tendency to use the same anonymous sources to file a story. Take the yahoo story on Geno Smith. All the outlets that ripped Smith after the draft referenced the same specific article and same quote about

that paragraph showed up word for word all over the place. Even if it's true, just shows that the same source can get a quote used everywhere. If one person thought Geno Smith was going home (Perhaps he made a comment like, 'Oh man, I should just go home if I'm not going to be drafted') and reported it as "Geno Smith says he's leaving"... it takes an out of context statement and reports as fact.
    After Smith was selected by the Jets and he was standing on stage being interviewed about 'how it felt' he was asked why he decided to stay for the second day of the draft after all and he responded that he did it for his 'family and supporters' So it's pretty hard to dispute this seeing as how it's on NFL video and all. I feel bad for Kirwan being so busy that he doesn't have the time to check any reports on his network or other sources before tweeting nonsense about what somebody says after the fact that is indisputably recorded on video but it's kind of, you know, his job.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Never saw why it was a big deal if he wanted to leave anyway.. Don't think it's a character issue like the media is trying to convince us it is

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    A Rodgers was the man who convince Geno Smith to stay. Pretty much told him to man up. So Whatever Geno Smith says after the fact is him just trying to save face. Yea Kirwan might have talk to him in the morning but it took A Rodgers right after the first day of the draft to talk some sense in Geno staying.
    So you're saying Rodgers gave Geno his powers?

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    So you're saying Rodgers gave Geno his powers?

Excellent.
    No he gave Geno wise advice from someone who had to incur the same thing on draft day. I don't know why it had to come out that Geno almost went home. It didn't put him in the best of light. IT really doesn't matter what happened.

HOw Geno Smith plays on the field is all anyone going to remember and not what happened during the draft( just slow NFl news and only reason it was a story)

All Pro
    Sanchez, and Tebow. I guarantee you that Sanchez would have sulked, and Tebow would not have even noticed. He would have been thankful just for the experience of being there, and getting to come back for another day. I know neither would have been angry, because neither of them got angry for being benched.
    Actually, I remember Sanchez acting very mature when he came out. Said the right things in front of the camera. I'm not saying he hasn't regressed on the field, but he had his act together when he was drafted. Looked the part, dressed the part, said the right things.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I can only guarantee it because being benched is the same thing, only worse. I never saw Tebow angry. Never heard about him being angry. Never saw, or heard about Sanchez being angry either.
    You're projecting what you believe, off of what you've been fed by the press. You have no idea how mad Geno was over the draft. You have no idea how Tebow was when he wasn't playing. You've already said that Tebow being benched was bad, only worse. He wasn't benched when he whined. He wasn't ever brought in here to play QB. He was brought in to be a player in the WC. Regardless, if Tebow went in a later round instead of higher than he deserved who knows? Not me, not you, not anyone here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Actually, I remember Sanchez acting very mature when he came out. Said the right things in front of the camera. I'm not saying he hasn't regressed on the field, but he had his act together when he was drafted. Looked the part, dressed the part, said the right things.
    Take it further. Sanchez admitted that he practiced acting the "right way". How to talk to the media, coaches, FO, in the huddle, in the locker etc.

Does being more rehearsed really make him more mature?

DON'T CAAAAAAAAAAARE!

Hall Of Fame
    I'm beginning to miss Sanchez.

Rookie
    You're projecting what you believe, off of what you've been fed by the press. You have no idea how mad Geno was over the draft. You have no idea how Tebow was when he wasn't playing. You've already said that Tebow being benched was bad, only worse. He wasn't benched when he whined. He wasn't ever brought in here to play QB. He was brought in to be a player in the WC. Regardless, if Tebow went in a later round instead of higher than he deserved who knows? Not me, not you, not anyone here.
    thing nobody is talking about is Geno said draft day was his mother's birthday. He wanted to get taken in the first round as a thankfully to her also. He got embarrassed and it ringed the moment he planned for her too. This probably added to the list of things that really made him angry. Listening to advise not to play in the senior bowl, stuff about his attitude being bandied about like it's fact, and a column from a guy with questionable race beliefs really woke Geno up about the state of race in America.

All Pro
    Take it further. Sanchez admitted that he practiced acting the "right way". How to talk to the media, coaches, FO, in the huddle, in the locker etc.

Does being more rehearsed really make him more mature?
    Grey area. I'd say a bit, at least it means he understood that as a first rounder he was going to have to act the part. Being a good QB is physical talent (he had), mental toughness (not so much), leadership (not so much), saying the right things to not create distractions (good at that).

I just don't like how people re-create what they thought about him 4 years ago. Then, I thought he was a kid with a good head on his shoulders, which I think most of us agreed with. Now, everyone states how they "knew" he was crap 4 years ago. Kind of like, 4 years ago it was "Tanny we Trust". Now it's "Tanny is the biggest moron in the history of the team"

he was prepared for everything except the criticism he took when he started screwing up. and that's b/c he never screwed up big before, so he never had to endure it. geno has already endured way more scrutiny/criticism of his game than sanchez did at respective times in their career.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he was prepared for everything except the criticism he took when he started screwing up. and that's b/c he never screwed up big before, so he never had to endure it. geno has already endured way more scrutiny/criticism of his game than sanchez did at respective times in their career.
    Really, where? I have heard almost nothing of his game discussed let alone scrutinized.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Grey area. I'd say a bit, at least it means he understood that as a first rounder he was going to have to act the part. Being a good QB is physical talent (he had), mental toughness (not so much), leadership (not so much), saying the right things to not create distractions (good at that).

I just don't like how people re-create what they thought about him 4 years ago. Then, I thought he was a kid with a good head on his shoulders, which I think most of us agreed with. Now, everyone states how they "knew" he was crap 4 years ago. Kind of like, 4 years ago it was "Tanny we Trust". Now it's "Tanny is the biggest moron in the history of the team"
    You mean like Rex being the best thing to happen to this team after year 1 & 2 and now have a group that cant wait to see him fired? Tell all how it will happen, that all want it to happen? As if they know and interview all Jet fans?

Back to what I wrote, my point was just that Sanchez came out of USC well rehearsed. Partly due to his training at USC, partly due to his years being groomed to becoming an NFL QB by his father/family. He had plenty of style points, looked the part, acted the part but there was plenty of immaturity beneath the cover that showed up every now and then.

A kid comes to NYC along with the other projected 1st rounders and doesn't get picked in the 1st round. There is no requirement to be there on day one, never mind day two. If he wanted to leave, who gives a sh1t. Means nothing. Unless you don't like the pick and need something to hang your hate on before he proves his worth, or not, on the field.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm beginning to miss Sanchez.
    The Jets remind me of a circus.

SAR I