Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith was never going to leave the draft

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Geno Smith does NOT emulate Mark Buttfumble's league leading turnover numbers season after season, he will be a huge upgrade when he starts in 2014 after David Garrard effectively quarterbacks the Jets (for the first time in years) in the 2013 season

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm beginning to miss Sanchez.
    At least he has an attractive face.

I don't know if I can look at this Geno for the next five years. He makes Neil O'Donnell and Frank Reich look handsome.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    A kid comes to NYC along with the other projected 1st rounders and doesn't get picked in the 1st round. There is no requirement to be there on day one, never mind day two. If he wanted to leave, who gives a sh1t. Means nothing. Unless you don't like the pick and need something to hang your hate on before he proves his worth, or not, on the field.

What matters is how the kid comes across if/when he decides to leave and head back home. There's a huge difference between: "Well, there was a chance that I could go in the first round, so I wanted to be here, BUT, have no idea where i"ll get drafted now, so I'm going to head back home and wait and see", versus "I was supposed to be drafted in the first, fark this, I'm going home."

The latter comes across as petulant, which is not something you want in a QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    A Rodgers said it happened. This isn't important because he didn't get drafted and wanted to take his ball and go home. BOO Hoo. If he couldn't!t handle this disappointment , how is he going to handle the pressure of playing in the New York Media market. A Rodgers was there for him this time , who will be there for him the next time to talk some sense into him. I pray that he he doEsn't pull a Vince Young and come missing after a bad game.
    LOL! You pray? WHY? Why are you praying for this outcome (or any for that matter) for a team you're not even a fan of? Why do you even care?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

I don't know if I can look at this Geno for the next five years. He makes Neil O'Donnell and Frank Reich look handsome.

SAR I

^

Alarming post...are you planning on making a Jason Ciollins type admission?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    What matters is how the kid comes across if/when he decides to leave and head back home. There's a huge difference between: "Well, there was a chance that I could go in the first round, so I wanted to be here, BUT, have no idea where i"ll get drafted now, so I'm going to head back home and wait and see", versus "I was supposed to be drafted in the first, fark this, I'm going home."

The latter comes across as petulant, which is not something you want in a QB.
    Matters to you and a handful of others.

Has no baring at all as to how he will play football.

It can't get any lamer than this round of thinking.

The guys projected to go in the first round are invited, asked to attend. He didn't just show up hoping to go in the first. They're not required to be there on either day.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matters to you and a handful of others.

Has no baring at all as to how he will play football.

It can't get any lamer than this round of thinking.

The guys projected to go in the first round are invited, asked to attend. He didn't just show up hoping to go in the first. They're not required to be there on either day.
    Another who has trouble with complex thought, even though this isn't all that complex.

The question is how one handles adversity, setbacks, disappointments, etc. If they stomp their feet and whine like a little *****, that's a problem.

And yes, stuff like this can very well affect how one plays football. It's why there's much more to the scouting/interview process than simply taking an IQ test and throwing a freaking football. Teams look at all aspects of "personality" to help determine how they will rank a player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    LOL! You pray? WHY? Why are you praying for this outcome (or any for that matter) for a team you're not even a fan of? Why do you even care?
    Why because Geno Smith is a human being and despite what team he plays for, why would I want to wish anything bad on him.( playing for the Jets is enough punishment) .

Even said a pray for your Uncle Vinny Interceptionverde when he got hurt in 1999. we might not root for the same team , but aren't we all Americans.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-08-2013 at 06:31 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Why because Geno Smith is a human being and despite what team he plays for, why would I want to wish anything bad on him.( playing for the Jets is enough punishment) .

Even said a pray for your Uncle Vinny Interceptionverde when he got hurt in 1999. we might not root for the same team , but aren't we all Americans.
    What are you talking about? YOu said you wish he 'doesn't pull a Vince Young'. That's not something bad happening 'on' him, that would be his behavior that he would be free to avoid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean like Rex being the best thing to happen to this team after year 1 & 2 and now have a group that cant wait to see him fired? Tell all how it will happen, that all want it to happen? As if they know and interview all Jet fans?

Back to what I wrote, my point was just that Sanchez came out of USC well rehearsed. Partly due to his training at USC, partly due to his years being groomed to becoming an NFL QB by his father/family. He had plenty of style points, looked the part, acted the part but there was plenty of immaturity beneath the cover that showed up every now and then.

A kid comes to NYC along with the other projected 1st rounders and doesn't get picked in the 1st round. There is no requirement to be there on day one, never mind day two. If he wanted to leave, who gives a sh1t. Means nothing. Unless you don't like the pick and need something to hang your hate on before he proves his worth, or not, on the field.
    In 2 years, no one will care. Either Geno can play, or he can't. The difference between cocky and an a$$hole is one wins.

You are correct, he was well trained. At the time, I appreciated that he at least understood the need to act the part. Of course he was a bit immature, he was 22. What 22 year old athlete isn't a bit immature.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    In 2 years, no one will care. Either Geno can play, or he can't. The difference between cocky and an a$$hole is one wins.

You are correct, he was well trained. At the time, I appreciated that he at least understood the need to act the part. Of course he was a bit immature, he was 22. What 22 year old athlete isn't a bit immature.
    Exactly. Let the kid throw a pass in training camp before we dissect his every move. If he can play, he will play regardless of what he did on draft night. If he cant play it will not be because he contemplated leaving the draft. Sanchez and Tebow were both thought to be clean prospects in terms of attitude and behavior, where are they now?? Coke heads, rapists and drug addicts all turned out to be good QBs in the NFL. I was not even a big Geno fan prior to the draft, but the level of criticism here is beyond ridiculous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly. Let the kid throw a pass in training camp before we dissect his every move. If he can play, he will play regardless of what he did on draft night. If he cant play it will not be because he contemplated leaving the draft. Sanchez and Tebow were both thought to be clean prospects in terms of attitude and behavior, where are they now?? Coke heads, rapists and drug addicts all turned out to be good QBs in the NFL. I was not even a big Geno fan prior to the draft, but the level of criticism here is beyond ridiculous.
    Agreed. I actually didn't want him. Now that we have him, I have a level of excitement and anticipation.

I want him to do well. Would love to see him become a cross between RG3 and McNabb, all the while Sanchez watches from the bench.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed. I actually didn't want him. Now that we have him, I have a level of excitement and anticipation.

I want him to do well. Would love to see him become a cross between RG3 and McNabb, all the while Sanchez watches from the bench.
    I saw some nice aerial views of Southpark while watching some of the tournament at Quail Hollow. What the hell happened to those greens? Were other courses by you affected the same way?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw some nice aerial views of Southpark while watching some of the tournament at Quail Hollow. What the hell happened to those greens? Were other courses by you affected the same way?
    I live about a mile from the course. The course is technically in southpark.

No...our course is in great condition as are most others clubs here Not sure what happened but someone is gonna get canned.

You know the PGA is coming here in 2017 right?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that just being a fan or realizing that, as a fan, you didn't understand the scope of the draft?

During the 2007 draft, I found myself yearning for a pass rusher. The Jets selected a cornerback that I knew little about. I'm not a guy that spends a lot of time watching college football.

I talked myself into liking the pick, even though the talk of the town was that the Giants got the best corner in the draft.

Fast forward.

We just traded a sure-fire hall of fame player to the Bucs.

So, things look bleak to me. We got this second round QB that faltered in college, a fast corner and a defensive tackle that we supposedly did not need.

Who did we compare Revis to when we drafted him? Anybody? Aaron Glenn? He ended up being far beyond Glenn.

I don't want to compare these guys to anyone. It's either an understatement or just setting yourself up for disappointment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obvious statement is obvious. The point is, scouts and GM's don't have the luxury of 'waiting to see him throw a pass in TC' - they have to make the decision based on available information at the time, and character is one of the things they have to judge in a QB, based on the prospect's behavior.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live about a mile from the course. The course is technically in southpark.

No...our course is in great condition as are most others clubs here Not sure what happened but someone is gonna get canned.

You know the PGA is coming here in 2017 right?
    Yea saw that. Charlotte in August will be a bit humid to say the least.

A friend of mine lives on The Club at Longview in Waxhaw, their course was fine too. They are putting in new greens in at Quail Hollow now, converting to Bermuda I believe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    Is that just being a fan or realizing that, as a fan, you didn't understand the scope of the draft?

During the 2007 draft, I found myself yearning for a pass rusher. The Jets selected a cornerback that I knew little about. I'm not a guy that spends a lot of time watching college football.

I talked myself into liking the pick, even though the talk of the town was that the Giants got the best corner in the draft.

Fast forward.

We just traded a sure-fire hall of fame player to the Bucs.

So, things look bleak to me. We got this second round QB that faltered in college, a fast corner and a defensive tackle that we supposedly did not need.

Who did we compare Revis to when we drafted him? Anybody? Aaron Glenn? He ended up being far beyond Glenn.

I don't want to compare these guys to anyone. It's either an understatement or just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Adios to MEVIS. Great/ Absolutely. I had no issue getting a 1st rounder for him.

Geno? I have no issue with a 2nd to get him. I just thought he reminded me of Vince Young too much but that's not a very scientific approach.

We filled holes this draft with low risk, high quality players.

As a fan..I like what Idzik is doing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    You mean connect-the-dots Sanchez? For years, Vogue magazine tried to sell Kate Moss as the most beautiful woman in the world.

Never mind the fact that she was emaciated and resembled the Contact alien and also had a terrible case of lazy eye.

Fashionistas and fruitcake clothing designers don't decide who is attractive.

Mark Sanchez is a hairy birthmark. With no spine.

Did I mention that he is a terrible quarterback? Not sure I did.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adios to MEVIS. Great/ Absolutely. I had no issue getting a 1st rounder for him.

Geno? I have no issue with a 2nd to get him. I just thought he reminded me of Vince Young too much but that's not a very scientific approach.

We filled holes this draft with low risk, high quality players.

As a fan..I like what Idzik is doing.
    I can't disagree about what Idzik is doing. His approach to personnel is refreshing, compared to what we have become accustomed to.

Your comparison to Vince Young bothers me... because I may not be able to disagree with it, on the field. Geno compared to Young mentally is another story.

As far as REvis... his fixation on money was the problem that the Jets could not conquer. But I am not going to fool myself into thinking that we didn't just trade arguably the best Jets player I have ever seen for a first and a conditional fourth.

I'm not happy to see him go. But I know it was inevitable.