Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: " Why do so many standout USC QBs make mediocre (at best) pros ? " ? ? ?

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,645
    SOFT California kids.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Ding Ding Ding

    If a college QB is "great" at another school and fails, it is his fault. Because so many USC QB's get taken, the school gets the blame.

    Btw - does Bama get the blame for McEroy sucking? LSU for Russell?
    wow You can state that McElroy sucks after two NFL appearances. VERY IMPRESSIVE. Please apply for the GM job quick. The Jest needs you!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    waste. c palmer throws one of the sickest balls ive ever seen. an would have bet the steelers in the playoffs if that DE didnt take out his knee, then beefed with management thereafter.
    C Palmer pre-injury on that team was on his way to elite status/superstardom.

    The guy was the prototypical QB...he had it all: strong arm, big hands, tall, mobile enough to get the job done, smart, great football instincts, and a real student of the game.

    It's revisionist history to talk about him as if he weren't all that back between '03-injury.

  4. #24
    They have superior talent playing against inferior defenses every week. Their #3 WR is better then their opponents #1 DB. That plays out across the board offensive line being the biggest Gap.

  5. #25
    Why is it just about quarterbacks from USC? Can sometime please detail the true game breakers in the NFL from USC beside Cushing, Polamalu and Clay Bay?


    Because they have had an inordinate number of players selected in the NFL draft and I haven't been all that impressed with most of them.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,179
    there was that simpson fella who could really knife through those holes for big yardage

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    Why is it just about quarterbacks from USC? Can sometime please detail the true game breakers in the NFL from USC beside Cushing, Polamalu and Clay Bay?


    Because they have had an inordinate number of players selected in the NFL draft and I haven't been all that impressed with most of them.
    You mean recently? Or should I take the next 3 hours and list the hundreds of USC alums that were All-Pro?

  8. #28
    The question itself is misleading. "Why do so many standout QBs from USC fail to make it ..."
    Please list all the "standout" QBs that played football at USC ... remember, up until the 2000's, USC ran the football a ton. I can't think of one really great USC QB pre-Palmer. Rodney Peete was ok, Pat Haden was decent ... you know, guys like that that ended up having decent NFL careers ... but hardly any "can't-miss" prospects that I can recall.
    The fact that Leinart and Sanchez have certainly failed to meet expectations really clouds people's perception. But USC has never been a QB factory by any means ... in fact, in my opinion, considering the kind of offense they ran for decades, their QB's have been above-average for the most part.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,313
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    Why is it just about quarterbacks from USC? Can sometime please detail the true game breakers in the NFL from USC beside Cushing, Polamalu and Clay Bay?


    Because they have had an inordinate number of players selected in the NFL draft and I haven't been all that impressed with most of them.
    USC has produced more NFL Hall of Fame players than any other school. And "Clay Bay" is a nickname for Clay Matthews

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...lug=ac-6889780

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    They have superior talent playing against inferior defenses every week. Their #3 WR is better then their opponents #1 DB. That plays out across the board offensive line being the biggest Gap.
    Give that man a cigar,
    Cowheard made the same point, QB's with superior talent playing against lesser opponents. You look at them on film and they look like the real deal. Put them on a level playing field facing equal talent and then you see the real talent or lack of, ie Mark Sanchez.

    Colin Cowherd pointed out ,that is why quite a few smaller school QB's do better in the NFL because they have to rely more on there own skills and elevate the players around them and work harder to achieve the same results.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    wow You can state that McElroy sucks after two NFL appearances. VERY IMPRESSIVE. Please apply for the GM job quick. The Jest needs you!
    I can state that McElnoodle lacks a good enough arm to start in the NFL. Intangibles can't cover up a fundamental lack of talent.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    You mean recently? Or should I take the next 3 hours and list the hundreds of USC alums that were All-Pro?
    And HOFers.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    13,889
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    SOFT California kids.
    aaron rodgers ? ?... john elway ? ? ?




  14. #34
    Because they're babies to begin with and then when they get to USC they're babied and think the world revolves around them. The only successful USC QB in the last 20 years was Palmer and that was very brief.

    And it's not just QB's. Often times the RB's and WR's - in recent years at least - that come out of there are nowhere near as good as they were in college, either. It's that California mentality.

    USC produced some great players in the 60's, 70's and 80's. No more. Not on the offensive side of the ball at the skill positions at least. Who is their best offensive skill position player to come out in the last 10-15 years? Reggie Bush? He's an average RB.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    aaron rodgers ? ?... john elway ? ? ?



    Elway was a softie - and it took Terrell Davis being a complete animal for him to win a championship.

    Rodgers is the man though.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Elway was a softie - and it took Terrell Davis being a complete animal for him to win a championship.

    Rodgers is the man though.
    Uhhhhh ... Tell me this post is a joke.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Uhhhhh ... Tell me this post is a joke.
    Not at all. Tis the truth. Elway couldn't win a championship without TD being a beast.

    Great comeback guy in games that didn't include Super Bowl championships though. Not saying he isn't an all-time great, he is, but he is what he is. He isn't the greatest, nor should he be considered as one. Couldn't put a team on his back and win a championship.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Not at all. Tis the truth. Elway couldn't win a championship without TD being a beast.

    Great comeback guy in games that didn't include Super Bowl championships though. Not saying he isn't an all-time great, he is, but he is what he is. He isn't the greatest, nor should he be considered as one. Couldn't put a team on his back and win a championship.
    There is a massive span between greatest ever and soft. Jets fans would have given anything to have Elway. ...

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    13,889
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Elway was a softie - and it took Terrell Davis being a complete animal for him to win a championship.

    Rodgers is the man though.
    wow... just,...WOW

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Because they're babies to begin with and then when they get to USC they're babied and think the world revolves around them. The only successful USC QB in the last 20 years was Palmer and that was very brief.

    And it's not just QB's. Often times the RB's and WR's - in recent years at least - that come out of there are nowhere near as good as they were in college, either. It's that California mentality.

    USC produced some great players in the 60's, 70's and 80's. No more. Not on the offensive side of the ball at the skill positions at least. Who is their best offensive skill position player to come out in the last 10-15 years? Reggie Bush? He's an average RB.
    Let me guess ... not an SC fan? That "California mentality" that you mention ... was USC not in California when guys like Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, and Lynn Swann attended? I see that you used the words "in recent years at least" when describing RB's and WR's, but again, wondering how the "California mentality" exists now, but not 20 years ago. (?!)
    There is no such thing as a "California mentality" ... by the way, Stanford has played pretty well of late - are they laid back and/or lazy? The fact is, USC has been a dominant football team for much of the 00's and that's pissed guys like you off. I guarantee you that the "USC players can't play in the NFL" bulls*** is spewed by people who don't like USC to begin with. Not on any kind of factual information.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us