Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Joe McKnight planning to show Jets they had No. 1 running back all along

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

CANNIZZARO: Joe McKnight planning to show Jets they had No. 1 running back all along

Lost in the bright lights of the five-man quarterback competition and the mundane matter of who’s going to throw the football for the Jets in 2013 is a less-ballyhooed four-way battle for who’s going to run the ball.

Shonn Greene, the Jets’ lead running back for the last two seasons but never a player who kept a single defensive coordinator up late at night, left via free agency with the team never making any serious move to re-sign him.

So the Jets, who have not had a legitimate lead back since they opted not to bring back Thomas Jones after the 2009 season, are in search of consistent big-play backfield talent. And their choices are not exactly between the likes of Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Adrian Peterson.

Whether any of the four players competing for the lead role is that player remains very much in question. Two of them, former Saint Chris Ivory and former Raider Mike Goodson, are newcomers. The other two are Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell.

Combined, the four have 651 attempts, 2,969 yards, a 4.5-yard average and 15 TDs. None of the four players has ever been a lead back.

Of the four, McKnight, in his fourth season with the Jets, is most vocal about his burning desire to be the man.

“Words can’t even describe how badly I want to be that guy,’’ McKnight told The Post during a break in offseason workouts last week at the team’s Florham Park, N.J., training facility. “I’ve got an edge — a fire to me ... so I can show everybody that I can play.

“When I’m out there practicing it’s like I’m [ticked] off. I’ve got to play the game [ticked] off. That gives me the edge and keeps me on top of my game.’’

McKnight undoubtedly had his nose bent out of shape when the Jets acquired Goodson as a free agent and Ivory in a draft-day trade with New Orleans for a fourth-round pick. He surely saw those moves as the team not having confidence in him.

“I just felt like people are still doubting me, so it’s time for me to go out there and show ’em,’’ he said.

Where McKnight takes it from here is anybody’s guess, but based on Ivory’s career stats, the former Saint appears on paper to be the most accomplished of the group, with 1,307 rushing yards, a 5.1-yard average and eight TDs.

“It’s ‘Competition U’ here and I want to compete,’’ McKnight said. “I did it at USC when they had 11 running backs out there and I’m going to do it now.’’

McKnight views his career, defined more by his special teams contributions as one of the league’s best kick returners than anything he’s done as a running back, as unfulfilled.

“I’m going to be a lot better,’’ he vowed. “I made that promise to myself. If not, I’m going to die trying. I’m nowhere near close to where I want to go.’’

McKnight revealed he never had a conversation with Tony Sparano, the Jets offensive coordinator last season before he was fired.

“I don’t know what Sparano thought of me because he never talked to me,’’ McKnight said. “I’m not going to let that happen again.’’

McKnight said he “loves’’ new coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, with whom he shares the same agent.

McKnight, Goodson and Ivory all share a common trait in that they all believe they haven’t yet had a fair chance to be a lead back.

Goodson, who has 160 career attempts, 722 yards, a 4.5-yard average and three TDs, said he signed with the Jets because he saw a “pretty wide-open opportunity.’’

Shortly after the Jets traded for Ivory, he expressed his desire to break out of the being “buried in a crowded backfield’’ he had to deal with in New Orleans, calling the move to the Jets “an opportunity for me to really get the carries that I deserve.”

“I just feel like it’s my time,’’ Ivory said. “I can do some great things and put up some crazy numbers in New York.”

They all have dreams. The offensively-challenged Jets simply hope one of these four backs emerges as that lead playmaker they desperately need to help whichever of the five quarterbacks competing emerges as the starter.

Otherwise, 2013 is going to be a much longer and more disappointing season than 2012 was.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...FCWM4EccJCA03M

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see. Is it me or does it feel like every Jet is coming into this season with something to prove? No more giving Jags like Shonn Greene and Bart Scott the starting nod before camp starts. Let everyone come to camp thinking they can win a spot and you will see more of the above.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure who will emerge as the guy but I do firmly believe one of these RBs is going to snatch the starting job and really have a strong season.

They all have potential.

I'm actually really excited to see who wins the battle, more so than the QB battle because that one is really a 2 man race between Sanchez and Smith.

McKnight is pretty similar to McCoy who thrived in MMs offense. I would not count him out but I think Goodson will win the job. Ivory I see as the short yardage guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not personally a big fan of McKnight the RB. That said, it wouldn't be a major surprise if he played well enough to force the team to release Goodson. Unless the Jets plan on carrying 4 RBs, I don't believe MG is a lock to make the team.

It stinks that McKnight got injured last year right when Greene was banged up as well...he had a shot to get an extended look. Guess we'll see what he brings to camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear, he should believe this.

Probably they all will be counted on at one time or another to contribute. The NFL has become more of a by committee league anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    He could be a poor mans BWest in the WCO if he can hold onto the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    “I just felt like people are still doubting me, so it’s time for me to go out there and show ’em,’’ he said.
    Why would anyone have any reason not to doubt him when he says things like this?

What common sense person says something like this?

People doubt him because he has ultimately failed up until now as a RB. But all of a sudden NOW he's going to show us?

So what the last 3 f*cking seasons didn't mean anything? What? You mean you weren't trying to show anyone?

The guy needs to start to think before he starts spouting off.

And in the end, he was in a straight up competition with Bilal Powell for the 2nd string spot just last season. He failed.

So what makes this time any different I'll never know.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    He could be a poor mans BWest in the WCO if he can hold onto the ball.
    My biggest concern with McKnight.

While there's never a good time to fumble the football, McKnight has put it on the ground at some terrible times over his short career. He can't be the guy if he's going to average a fumble every 35-40 touches, which he does right now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now that Bart is off the team and he can't spend his time riding go-carts in Bart's backyard, now he is going to focus on football? Yeah, right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Good to hear, he should believe this.

Probably they all will be counted on at one time or another to contribute. The NFL has become more of a by committee league anyway.
    Bingo!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bingo!
    plus you have rbs getting dinged up a lot. mcknight and powell were injured last year and that was with greene on the team. the rbs will be more or less interchangeable, as all of them can catch, even the fb they drafted.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    My biggest concern with McKnight.

While there's never a good time to fumble the football, McKnight has put it on the ground at some terrible times over his short career. He can't be the guy if he's going to average a fumble every 35-40 touches, which he does right now.
    Most teams would have dumped him, Jets couldn't afford to do that. If he can catch, and hold onto the ball he might be useful in the WCO.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow

12 posts and not a single ShARk99 style comment condemning McK because he threw up in his first Cortland practice. ..eve n more amazing since NFLN is currently replaying HK 10.

Maybe we are actually acting more like grown-ups

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully expect our O-Co to attempt to utilize McKnight in the O far more than he has previously been used. As a speedy scatback and pass catcher, he has (IMO) alot of potential.

I do not belive he'll be a traditional every-down running back, no. But I could see 70 carries and 70 catches are very possible, especially if our WR corp. dissapoints.

Those who think Ivory/Goodson meant McKnight would be cut were premature IMO. He is still an excellent KR, and like a certain Mr. Woodhead, can and should fill an important role on our O he is well suited for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is it possible to never have a conversation with your OC?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a speedy scat back type player he really does lack explosion.. He's just not a good running back at all. Hopefully Goodson can fill the role of pass catching RB in our WCO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    For a speedy scat back type player he really does lack explosion.. He's just not a good running back at all. Hopefully Goodson can fill the role of pass catching RB in our WCO
    he is kind of a tweener. not leon washington quick/explosive, not big enough to get tough yards, lacks elite top end speed, and fumbles too much on top of that. talented, but aside from returns he doesn't really fill any one role for a rb. at this point he better hope the jets don't find another KO returner, or he's out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight, Goodson, Ivory... they all share one thing in common - a history of being injured.

I think this team carries 4 backs including the FB we drafted.

McKnight/Powell. Someone's getting sh*tcanned.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    +1

He does a few things well, but he definitely isn't good at running the ball. Sort of interesting, since he was drafted as a RB.

Unfortunately for him, he's the fourth best RB on the roster. Not sure where that leaves him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    +1

He does a few things well, but he definitely isn't good at running the ball. Sort of interesting, since he was drafted as a RB.

Unfortunately for him, he's the fourth best RB on the roster. Not sure where that leaves him.
    McKnight> Powell. Powell has no redeemable qualities. Slow, plodding, doesn't play STs, no burst, so on and so forth.