Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Joe McKnight planning to show Jets they had No. 1 running back all along

It's likely that Joe McKnight chose USC for his school because they were in love with runningbacks that were better suited as wide receivers. Most other schools would have made him change positions, and he wanted to be a runningback because you get more touches and better exposure.

The guy simply does not have the skill set of a RB in the NFL. They tried him out at CB FFS. That should tell you something.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Chris Ivory is the No.1 back and will be the No.1 back for the foreseeable future.

Everyone else is fighting for the No.2 role.
    Guy needs to show he can stay healthy first ..

McKnight should focus on playing well enough to be considered a reliable #2. I thought Powell showed some flashes as a guy that can grind out some yards when the line is blocking well, but he seems to have a limited ceiling. Goodson has never been a #2, save for injury.

Truth of the matter is, on a good team all three guys behind Ivory are 3rd options at RB. And Ivory himself has never started more than 4 games in a season. The saving grace is that all four guys are young and COULD emerge, but none of the 4 have consistently produced as regular options.

It's definitely a wait-and-see proposition with all of these guys.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Talk is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    It's likely that Joe McKnight chose USC for his school because they were in love with runningbacks that were better suited as wide receivers. Most other schools would have made him change positions, and he wanted to be a runningback because you get more touches and better exposure.

The guy simply does not have the skill set of a RB in the NFL. They tried him out at CB FFS. That should tell you something.
    The 6.0 ypc last season and 4.8 ypc two years ago tell me something. McKnight is a good kick returner who gives us a decent backup RB which every team needs. I will never get why so many Jets fans hate this guy yet praise and overrate scrubs like Eric Smith and Brad Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The 6.0 ypc last season and 4.8 ypc two years ago tell me something. McKnight is a good kick returner who gives us a decent backup RB which every team needs. I will never get why so many Jets fans hate this guy yet praise and overrate scrubs like Eric Smith and Brad Smith.
    brad smith was a scrub? the guy single handedly got us into the playoffs a couple years ago. with one one shoe on.

Practice Squad
    Who overrated Eric Smith on this site? I've been lurking a long time and didn't see anyone rate Eric Smith.

Anyway, if the Jets sign Cribbs, McKnight might become expendable, so this could be a bit of PR.

I see Ivory as the starter, with Goodson, Powell and McKnight backing him up as a platoon.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Ivory can take it for a td from 80 yards as easily as he can be dangerous from short yardage.......any of these backs can take it to the house....can't recall the last time we had this much rb talent and the competition will be fierce.........that is NOT bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm not sure who will emerge as the guy but I do firmly believe one of these RBs is going to snatch the starting job and really have a strong season.

They all have potential.

I'm actually really excited to see who wins the battle, more so than the QB battle because that one is really a 2 man race between Sanchez and Smith.

McKnight is pretty similar to McCoy who thrived in MMs offense. I would not count him out but I think Goodson will win the job. Ivory I see as the short yardage guy.

Veteran
    Talked the talk, now walk the walk.

Hall Of Fame
    ALL these backs will shine with better line and qb play and a real offensive system....all these back will make the team...can't have too many backs.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think they all make the 53 man roster. Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight and Bohanon. Bohanon and McKnight will also play specials and probably Powell as well.

Hall Of Fame
    do any of you actually realize that in the WCO one back will not be the load carrier....if a back is effective he will get more touches, but all of them will see the field....this is why we will carry all 4 rb's and 2 fullbacks....makes sense.

Hall Of Fame
    4th round pick who is one of the best return man in the league is not a bust.......you people truly need to know the damn definition of a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Here we are, going into his fifth year, still discussing McKnight's potential. The guy is not a first, or second, tier NFL RB.

Sorry, but if it were not for his KR ability, he'd be considered one of our biggest busts. Frankly, in my mind, he still is.

Hall Of Fame
    good grief...the man is being optimistic and people are killing him....you want a abck to talk like this..we now have a very good o line and should have better qb play on offense....I see McKnight and all the backs playing an important role......look at our rb's coming into the 2012 season compared to now....the talent level is not even close.