Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Joe McKnight planning to show Jets they had No. 1 running back all along

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here we are, going into his fifth year, still discussing McKnight's potential. The guy is not a first, or second, tier NFL RB.

Sorry, but if it were not for his KR ability, he'd be considered one of our biggest busts. Frankly, in my mind, he still is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Here we are, going into his fifth year, still discussing McKnight's potential. The guy is not a first, or second, tier NFL RB.

Sorry, but if it were not for his KR ability, he'd be considered one of our biggest busts. Frankly, in my mind, he still is.
    4th round pick who does return duty can't ever be one of our biggest busts ever.

A Gholston, Thomas or Lam would blow that pick away.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    OK, name the countless pro bowl return men this system has produced. Countless?

When healthy, he's productive return man.

Your last line says it all though.
    countless was an exaggeration for some reason i thought brad smith made it but leon and justin miller too. and we had the most return TDs in the NFL under Westhoffs tenure so i think its more of his system than McKnight IMO. I dont think hes a good enough return man to waste a roster spot on. Unless he beats out Powell and gets used in the offense too of course.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    countless was an exaggeration for some reason i thought brad smith made it but leon and justin miller too. and we had the most return TDs in the NFL under Westhoffs tenure so i think its more of his system than McKnight IMO. I dont think hes a good enough return man to waste a roster spot on. Unless he beats out Powell and gets used in the offense too of course.
    I think Leon and Miller made it once each. Not really countless.

Point was that he's pretty good return man. If you think he won't make the team fine, but to say he sucks and is caught from behind is silly, he's a good return guy who might have to show more if given the chance.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    disagree on powell. he showed he can play last year. he can also catch. and as soon as ivory goes down guess who is in on first and second downs?
    Yeah such a sparkling game log: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...9/bilal-powell

Slow. Poor mans shonn greene.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love his hunger . Im all for anybody that makes us explosive on offense . Don't care if its McKnight, Goodson, Ivory as long as there making big plays when there name is called.

3 career talented backups who takes it to that next level

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight will be last on the DC behind

IVORY
    GOODSON
    POWELL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really?

If the new guys pan out what is Powells job?

McKnight will still be a return man. I wouldn't be so sure that McKnight is the odd man out.
    I'm telling you. I know for a fact that the Jets do not like McKnight as a RB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Powell is solid to good at everything. The Jets think so highly of McKnight that they've brought in two other RBs. I'd be willing to bet you that McKnight is the odd man out (and the Jets already know this).
    Agreed.

McKnight sounds like he's already do PR so he can catch on with another team, after he's cut.

Should have converted him to free safety or something.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Yeah such a sparkling game log: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...9/bilal-powell

Slow. Poor mans shonn greene.
    Not even close. Completely different RB. Greene is straight ahead. Powell can make tacklers miss as well as catch out of the backfield.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I respect your opinion, but a 4th rounder really can't be a bust. Half the time they are out of the league in 2 years. He's the definition of a JAG so far.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McKnight is starting at RB for the Jets you better hope that Geno can live up to his potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Ivory is the No.1 back and will be the No.1 back for the foreseeable future.

Everyone else is fighting for the No.2 role.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main reason that anything Joe McKnight has to say is important on these boards is because of the amount of emotional currency that went into the Woodhead vs. McKnight wars back in the day (I wasn't involved and I STILL don't care). But those wars were vicious and they absolutely did take place. There are many posters who are STILL invested in trying to win that argument.

Otherwise we wouldn't care and nor should we. Joe McKnight has had three years to show his stuff. Last year already was one year BEYOND put up or shut up time for Joe McKnight as a running back IMO. But OK even if you gave him last year as the actual put up or shut up time then I am not sure how he gets a do-over on that AGAIN.

Borgo I love your dearly but his performances as a returner alone put him into the "not bust" category as a 4th rounder.

The special teams system of our recently retired special teams coach and specifically kick off returns did tend to produce pro-bowl or near pro-bowl performances no matter who we plugged in back there. To deny this is silliness.

Brad Smith
    Leon Washington
    Justin Miller - Pro Bowl
    Joe McKnight - Pro Bowl
    Chad Morton - Pro Bowl Alternate.....

Chad Morton for chrissakes!

I like McKnight as a returner but I am not sure he is any better then 4th best on that list of Jets KO returners. It was more the system IMO, or at least as much the system as it was the player who was plugged in back there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    4th round pick who does return duty can't ever be one of our biggest busts ever.

A Gholston, Thomas or Lam would blow that pick away.
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I respect your opinion, but a 4th rounder really can't be a bust. Half the time they are out of the league in 2 years. He's the definition of a JAG so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The main reason that anything Joe McKnight has to say is important on these boards is because of the amount of emotional currency that went into the Woodhead vs. McKnight wars back in the day (I wasn't involved and I STILL don't care). But those wars were vicious and they absolutely did take place. There are many posters who are STILL invested in trying to win that argument.

Otherwise we wouldn't care and nor should we. Joe McKnight has had three years to show his stuff. Last year already was one year BEYOND put up or shut up time for Joe McKnight as a running back IMO. But OK even if you gave him last year as the actual put up or shut up time then I am not sure how he gets a do-over on that AGAIN.

Borgo I love your dearly but his performances as a returner alone put him into the "not bust" category as a 4th rounder.

The special teams system of our recently retired special teams coach and specifically kick off returns did tend to produce pro-bowl or near pro-bowl performances no matter who we plugged in back there. To deny this is silliness.

Brad Smith
    Leon Washington
    Justin Miller - Pro Bowl
    Joe McKnight - Pro Bowl
    Chad Morton - Pro Bowl Alternate.....

Chad Morton for chrissakes!

I like McKnight as a returner but I am not sure he is any better then 4th best on that list of Jets KO returners. It was more the system IMO, or at least as much the system as it was the player who was plugged in back there.
    Thanks for your responses. Guess I'm saying bust because of all the folks who said McKnight was a steal in the draft and would become a star. I never understood the logic.

So, okay, I'll change my terminology to semi-bust.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not even close. Completely different RB. Greene is straight ahead. Powell can make tacklers miss as well as catch out of the backfield.
    yeah, i don't see it as being close.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your responses. Guess I'm saying bust because of all the folks who said McKnight was a steal in the draft and would become a star. I never understood the logic.

So, okay, I'll change my terminology to semi-bust.
    Bust is ok, he has been pretty much a failure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Bust is ok, he has been pretty much a failure.
    i disagree. if a 4th rounder can become a probowler in ST that's something. and it's not like rex really gave him a shot at rb anyway. LT was the 3rd down back, and then greene took most of the carries. there was never a rb competition, in typical rex fashion he picked his starter and that was that. not saying mcknight has deserved more, but regardless of what he may have shown in practice, rex picked his guy and it wasn't mcknight. if mcknight had been used properly he would have caught more passes. that's decent return for a 4th rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Why would anyone have any reason not to doubt him when he says things like this?

What common sense person says something like this?

People doubt him because he has ultimately failed up until now as a RB. But all of a sudden NOW he's going to show us?

So what the last 3 f*cking seasons didn't mean anything? What? You mean you weren't trying to show anyone?

The guy needs to start to think before he starts spouting off.

And in the end, he was in a straight up competition with Bilal Powell for the 2nd string spot just last season. He failed.

So what makes this time any different I'll never know.
    Man, you're like Savage in a CMart thread. Still upset at the guy for puking, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, name the countless pro bowl return men this system has produced. Countless?

When healthy, he's productive return man.

Your last line says it all though.
    Pretty much every return guy we've had back to Chad Morton has been at or near the top of the league: Morton, Miller, Washington, Smith, McKnight