Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: Woody Johnson says Jets should be patient; won't discuss Rex's contract

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Exactly.

For years the Giants were the laughingstock of the league because of their ownership.

Fans boycotted games at GS. They flew planes over the stadium making fun of the team.

The NFL MADE them hire George Young to fix things, it was that bad. He did.

Now fans and the media have totally forgotten everything. The Maras are gods and the team is a model of a well run operation.
    Great post!
    People forget what the Giants used to be, or are to young to know.

Jets Insider VIP
    You're kidding right?

I mean, Idzik got into Woody's head and told him to fire Tanny first, right?

Then he told him to bring Idzik in for interviews and told him to skip the others and bring Idzik on board.

Then given that he's never been a GM or ran a team, he told the billionaire owner how to run his team.

That makes more sense than Woody realizing the way Tanny was running the team wasn't working and made the changes needed.
    Im not kidding. Wealthy men take advice all the time.

I believe Woody now knows that his quick win now approach wont work. he has been embarassed by the GIANTS twice in 4 years and is now willing to listen to a more cerebral GM.

Was he moving this way when he fired tanny? Probably.

Committed men with real belief tell billionaires and millionaires they are wrong all the time and would resign before breaking their principles.
    YES...he is telling Woody how to run his team. Isn't that a GM's job?

The George Young example above is almost identical to my point. A REAL GM with little owner interference.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I believe Woody now knows that his quick win now approach wont work. he has been embarassed by the GIANTS twice in 4 years and is now willing to listen to a more cerebral GM.

Committed men with real belief tell billionaires and millionaires they are wrong all the time and would resign before breaking their principles.
    he wasn't embarrassed by the giants. he was embarrassed by all the controversial players he advocated and allowed tanny to bring in, he's embarrassed about the circus he's being blamed for fostering, he's embarrassed he's got the worst starting qb still on his team and his salary is guaranteed. he's embarrassed his team can't score, he's embarrassed too many of his team's draft picks haven't panned out, he's embarrassed that all the writers across the country continue to take potshots at his team and his players. he's had it, and that's why he hired idzik.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The George Young example above is almost identical to my point. A REAL GM with little owner interference.
    You're missing the point. The point is he did this. He was the one who made the final decision to can Tanny. To bring someone from the outside in. To hire a headhunting group to put together a list of candidates and to hire Idzik.

You can't blame a owner for everything you don't like down to the color of the urinals in the stadium and then give credit for his management to others. Sorry, it doesn't ever work that way. Especially in the real world.

And a GM doesn't run the team, the owner or team president does. The GM is responsible for personnel, etc. He's below the owner. They all report to the owner, not the other way around.

Young was thrown onto the Giants, but they still had to accept him. He straightened out their player issues, first hired Perkins then elevated Parcells. But the owners allowed it to happen, it was ultimately their decision to let Young come on board. Of course this wasnt the point, it was that they were a mess, a laughingstock and now are looked upon in a totally different manner. The owners are credited, most don't have a clue who Young was or how he got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    You beat me to it.

Exactly.

For years the Giants were the laughingstock of the league because of their ownership.

Fans boycotted games at GS. They flew planes over the stadium making fun of the team.

The NFL MADE them hire George Young to fix things, it was that bad. He did.

Now fans and the media have totally forgotten everything. The Maras are gods and the team is a model of a well run operation.
    Bingo! Most on this board dont remember the 70's and early 80's Giants, awful.

Jets Insider VIP
    You're missing the point. The point is he did this. He was the one who made the final decision to can Tanny. To bring someone from the outside in. To hire a headhunting group to put together a list of candidates and to hire Idzik.

You can't blame a owner for everything you don't like down to the color of the urinals in the stadium and then give credit for his management to others. Sorry, it doesn't ever work that way. Especially in the real world.

And a GM doesn't run the team, the owner or team president does. The GM is responsible for personnel, etc. He's below the owner. They all report to the owner, not the other way around.

Young was thrown onto the Giants, but they still had to accept him. He straightened out their player issues, first hired Perkins then elevated Parcells. But the owners allowed it to happen, it was ultimately their decision to let Young come on board. Of course this wasnt the point, it was that they were a mess, a laughingstock and now are looked upon in a totally different manner. The owners are credited, most don't have a clue who Young was or how he got there.
    I agree with all of that. However... an owner does not run the team per se. Some owners, like in Green bay are silent owners. The GM and a Board of Directors run the team but the most accountable person is the GM...short of the owner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    who isn't?
    There's been a lot of posters here overestimating the team's talent level and Rex's coaching ability. Schedule looks brutal too, don't think people realize how much more difficult it is compared to last year's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

these articles are a breath of fresh air from woody. it seems as if he's hired a new media coach (or two) and has learned how how to give simple, straightforward answers that don't reveal much. it's about time..

I agree with all of that. However... an owner does not run the team per se. Some owners, like in Green bay are silent owners. The GM and a Board of Directors run the team but the most accountable person is the GM...short of the owner.
    Green Bay is publicly owned, totally different circumstances from the other 31 teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Green Bay is publicly owned, totally different circumstances from the other 31 teams.
    Thats why I used them as an example....

The fact that well run teams do NOT need central ownership. In fact, the broader the ownership the better. Thats why organizations have boards and our founding fathers created the house and senate.

Thats why I used them as an example....

The fact that well run teams do NOT need central ownership. In fact, the broader the ownership the better. Thats why organizations have boards and our founding fathers created the house and senate.
    As a business owner I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Private companies like mine do not need board members. Like it or not, the Jets are privately owned. As the owner, Woody is the head.
    To compare our democracy to private ownership makes little sense. The House and Senate were created so that dictatorship would be eliminated in government and the voice of the people heard. Without the two, the President would have all the power and we would essentially be England again.

Jets Insider VIP
    As a business owner I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Private companies like mine do not need board members. Like it or not, the Jets are privately owned. As the owner, Woody is the head.
    To compare our democracy to private ownership makes little sense. The House and Senate were created so that dictatorship would be eliminated in government and the voice of the people heard. Without the two, the President would have all the power and we would essentially be England again.
    Well then we will disagree. Small businesses dont need one? 80 percent of all small businesses fail in 1st 5 years. FACT. The remaining businesses? 4 of 5 fail in the next 5 years. I see it every day.

The number one reason they fail is poor management and poor decision making. I would further that by saying many stay in business and shouldn't. They earn well below what they would if they just had a job.

There is a reason, as a company grows, they bring on advisors. I am the advisor to over 100 businesses with average sales of 3 to 7 million. Some as high as 25 mil.

Ever read E Myth by GERBER?
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They're publicly owned. By the STH's I believe. 40,000 bosses might be tough to deal with.

Jets had Tanny as GM but the team was run by Woody and the guy who was in charge of the stadium deal, forget his name.

Giants are run by Mara and Tisch. Not Reese, his main charge is personnel.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Well then we will disagree. Small businesses dont need one? 80 percent of all small businesses fail in 1st 5 years. FACT. The remaining businesses? 4 of 5 fail in the next 5 years. I see it every day.

The number one reason they fail is poor management and poor decision making. I would further that by saying many stay in business and shouldn't. They earn well below what they would if they just had a job.

There is a reason, as a company grows, they bring on advisors. I am the advisor to over 100 businesses with average sales of 3 to 7 million. Some as high as 25 mil.

Ever read E Myth by GERBER?
    My business is now in its 35th year. Most businesses fail because the owners want to take too much money out before the company is stable. This was my father's before me. The one lesson he taught was to trim the tree to make it grow, cut off too much and the tree dies.
    I'm sure you are very good at your job. Best of luck to you.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Yeah....I'm sure that's how it went down....lol

Blame the guy that writes the checks.....lol
    I feel better now, knowing that Idzik (the employee) has Woody (the boss) under control.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 05-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    be patient, be patient, have trust that we're doing the right thing for your team, we're trying to do the right thing for your team," Johnson said a
    Holy crap, Woody is selling the Jets!!! YES!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    My business is now in its 35th year. Most businesses fail because the owners want to take too much money out before the company is stable. This was my father's before me. The one lesson he taught was to trim the tree to make it grow, cut off too much and the tree dies.
    I'm sure you are very good at your job. Best of luck to you.
    You are on of the smart ones. Probably mentored very well by your dad.

You are on of the smart ones. Probably mentored very well by your dad.
    Proudly yes. Great business mind, better dad .

Woody Discusses Jets' QBs

For the second consecutive offseason, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is defending the decision to acquire a polarizing quarterback -- first Tim Tebow, now Geno Smith.

Johnson said Tuesday the Jets' talent evaluators gave the much-maligned Smith "a very high score" for his intangibles, revealing they would've picked the former West Virginia star in the first round if they had traded down with the 13th overall pick.
    I'm extremely happy to have him. He's welcome to the competition. It's going to be fun.
    -- Woody Johnson, on Geno Smith
    "I'm extremely happy to have him," Johnson told reporters at an NFL symposium in Philadelphia, adding: "He's welcome to the competition. It's going to be fun."

The quarterback competition won't include Tebow, who was released last week in a long-anticipated move. One year after proclaiming, "You can never have too much Tebow," Johnson acknowledged they goofed by trading for the popular backup.

"The fit, obviously, wasn't perfect or he would still be there," said Johnson, commenting for the first time since Tebow's release. "It's just one of those things. You make a lot of decisions in football that aren't going to help, that aren't helpful, and you have to move on from those decisions.

"When you make bad decisions, you make a decision that doesn't work ... I'm not saying it's a bad decision. [When] you make a decision that doesn't help the team, you move on. You have to learn to do that."

Johnson also has changed his stance regarding incumbent Mark Sanchez.

The owner, fiercely supportive of Sanchez last year in the aftermath of the controversial Tebow trade, backed off considerably, echoing the sentiment of new general manager John Idzik.

"At the quarterback position, it looks like we're going to have some competition, but we want it at every position," Johnson said.

When the Jets picked Smith in the second round (39th overall), it fueled speculation about Sanchez's future. There were rumblings he could be released despite a massive salary-cap hit.

Idzik's plan is to bring Sanchez to training camp to compete primarily against Smith and veteran journeyman David Garrard. While no one in the organization has said definitely that Sanchez will be on the preseason roster, Johnson strongly suggested that will be the case.

"I would expect him to compete," he said. "He's under contract."

The organization has lost faith in Sanchez after back-to-back 26-turnover seasons, hoping Smith can make a serious run at the starting job as a rookie.

Smith has yet to take a practice snap -- rookie minicamp begins Friday -- but he's also lugging a significant amount of baggage. He has received a heavy dose of criticism since the draft, with unnamed scouts and personnel types questioning his maturity.

Even though he has met Smith only once -- the standard, 15-minute interview at the scouting combine -- Johnson didn't seem concerned.

"We evaluate all those traits, skills and communication and leadership and all that," he said. "We evaluated that, and he got a very high score with us. He was the next guy on our board when we drafted him."

Johnson was careful not to label Smith a franchise quarterback, lest he inflate expectations. He did that last year with Tebow, saying he'd be with the Jets for the rest of his contract, through 2014.

"I'll let the competition go," Johnson said. "We'll just see how it goes. I don't want to prejudge it because they've got to go in there and compete every game. We'll see when they step on the field."

Johnson preached patience, referring to the entire team, not only Smith's development. The Jets are in the midst of a massive rebuilding project.

"Yes, be patient," he said. "Be patient and trust that we're doing the right thing for your team. ... It's going to take ... you have to have a little bit of faith. Watch."

ESPN.com's Ashley Fox contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ted-geno-smith