Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: Woody Johnson says Jets should be patient; won't discuss Rex's contract

Woody Johnson says Jets should be patient; won't discuss Rex's contract

PHILADELPHIA – Woody Johnson thinks that John Idzik will bring a new energy into the building and that the front office, regardless of their opinions on possible team decisions, will emerge more united than before.

He is also confident that the trading of Darrelle Revis, parting of ways with Bart Scott, Sione Po'uha, LaRon Landry and Mike DeVito will also help matters.

That being said, these things take time.

"That's absolutely perfect, be patient, be patient, have trust that we're doing the right thing for your team, we're trying to do the right thing for your team," Johnson said at the NFL career development symposium here in Philadelphia today. "That's why John was brought in and the other coaching changes were made; to make us more competitive."

He began to say that the process would take time, instead adjusting his words: "You gotta have some faith that these decisions will pan out, the Draft is going to work. I'm very confident the Draft we had was a good one, we stuck to what we believed in and the way we set things up."

Whether or not the patience extends to Rex Ryan, though, Johnson wouldn't say. When asked if the team would consider extending his contract mid-season if the plan begins to develop, Johnson had this:
    "I would never talk about contracts or anything like that," Johnson said.

"We normally don't discuss contracts or extensions or anything like that."

He added: "(All the offseason moves) are independent, I love Revis, Revis was a great player for the Jets, we just didn't feel like we were going to be able to make the deal work with him,"

"Everybody is on the same page, we're trying to make the team better each and every day. We've made some dramatic changes and it's going to take a little bit of time for these changes to take hold, I think they will take hold.

I'm not going to predict exactly when, but they will take hold."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...jets_fans.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you for the post!!!!!!

Sound comments coming from the owner. Mr. Johnson is going the right things IMO.

Mehta: Woody Johnson to Jets rookie QB Geno Smith: "Welcome to the competition."

PHILADELPHIA – Jets owner Woody Johnson has a simple message for new quarterback Geno Smith:

“Welcome to the competition,” said Johnson, who participated in the NFL’s Career Development Symposium on Tuesday. "It’s going to be fun.”

Less than two weeks after the Jets selected Smith in the second round, Johnson made it clear that he’s happy to have the polarizing signal caller on his team. Smith has endured his fair share of criticism in the wake of slipping out of the first round.

“He was the highest rated player (left) on our board,” Johnson said. “I’m extremely happy to have him…. Great body of work. He was a gifted athlete from Day One. I guess they identified him very, very early when he was a little kid as being something special.”

Johnson, who had a 15-minute face-to-face meeting with Smith at the Combine, didn’t appear overly concerned about recent reports about Smith’s character.

“We went by our evaluations,” Johnson said. “We evaluate all those traits: skills and communication, leadership… We evaluate them. He got a very high score with us. He was the next guy on our board and we drafted him.”

The Jets selected Smith with the 39th overall pick, but Johnson admitted that the team considered him in the first round “if we had dropped down.” Gang Green selected Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson with their two first-round selections.

Although Johnson praised Smith, he stopped short of calling him a franchise quarterback.

“I’ll let the competition go,” Johnson said. “We’ll just see how it goes. I don’t want to pre-judge it because they’ve got to go in there and compete every day. We’ll see what it looks like on the field.”

Johnson didn’t shed any light on Mark Sanchez’s immediate future. He didn’t definitively say that Sanchez would be on the roster when training camp starts.

“I expect him to compete,” Johnson said. “He’s under contract.”

Johnson didn't appear to have any regrets about trading for Tim Tebow, who was cut two days after the draft in an anticipated move.

“It was something that didn’t work,” Johnson said. “It didn’t work for us. That doesn’t mean it won’t work somewhere else.”

Will Tebow find a new team?

“That’s not up to me,” Johnson said. “He has done some amazing things… depends on the next general manager and coach.”

Johnson didn’t delve into whether Tebow could have remained with the Jets if he agreed to a position change.

“You got to listen to what he wants to do,” Johnson said. “Everybody’s looking at him now, I imagine. I hope the best for him. I think he’s a great young man. I have a lot of respect for him.”

The decision to trade for Tebow is one of the biggest miscalculations in recent years, but Johnson doesn't sound like a guy that wanted a do-over.

“There’s nothing bad about trying to make yourself better,” Johnson said. “The fit obviously wasn’t perfect or he’d still be here… A lot of decisions in football are not helpful. And you have to move on from those decisions… If you make a decision that doesn’t work—I’m not saying it’s a bad decision – if you make a decision that doesn’t help the team, you move on.”

Johnson’s message for Jets fans?

“Be patient and have trust we’re doing the right thing for your team,” he said. “We’re trying to get better every day. That’s why John (Idzik) was brought in. That’s why the coaches changes were brought in… to make us better and more competitive. But you got to have a little bit of faith… that these decisions are going to pan out. The draft is going to work. I’m very confident that the draft we had was a good one. It was well thought out.”

When a reporter joked that the Patriots should look out, Johnson laughed and said, “Absolutely. You’re right.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...he-competition

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you for the post!!!!!!

Sound comments coming from the owner. Mr. Johnson is going the right things IMO.
    Sounds like Idzik told Woody... NO TEAM has won doing it your way.

YOU WOODY must change.

GOOD!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

YOU WOODY must change.

GOOD!
    I agree 100%

Amazing what happpens when a GM knows what they are doing!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    C Mart thanks for posting. I love Woody being positive and telling everyone to be patient and have faith! I agree with the owner! GO JETS!

All Pro

YOU WOODY must change.

GOOD!
    Sounds like Woody is very impressionable to his GM's ways of thinking. Tanny must have had him convinced of the 'win now' mindset and that he could deliver it, and now Idzik has modified his thinking to slowly building a team and championship.

i like that idzik seems to have convinced woody of the importance of drafting based on the draft board. it's a big departure from what woody has seen, and you'd have to believe that recent turnarounds of SF and SEA have motivated woody to trust idzik's approach. also like the 'be patient', as he may finally understand that making splashy moves and quick fixes only hurts the team in the long run.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

YOU WOODY must change.

GOOD!
    Yeah....I'm sure that's how it went down....lol

Blame the guy that writes the checks.....lol

Hall Of Fame
    Two years ago they were trying to sell us SB hopes. Now they are trying to sell us patience.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Two years ago they were trying to sell us PSL's. Now they are trying to sell us patience.
    Fixed it for ya

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

YOU WOODY must change.

GOOD!
    You're kidding right?

I mean, Idzik got into Woody's head and told him to fire Tanny first, right?

Then he told him to bring Idzik in for interviews and told him to skip the others and bring Idzik on board.

Then given that he's never been a GM or ran a team, he told the billionaire owner how to run his team.

That makes more sense than Woody realizing the way Tanny was running the team wasn't working and made the changes needed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

"Be patient" - sounds like he's prepared for and/or expecting a rough season

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sounds like Woody is very impressionable to his GM's ways of thinking. Tanny must have had him convinced of the 'win now' mindset and that he could deliver it, and now Idzik has modified his thinking to slowly building a team and championship.
    Tanny went for the win now, came up just a bit short. Then the bill came due.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    "Be patient" - sounds like he's prepared for and/or expecting a rough season
    who isn't?

Two years ago they were trying to sell us SB hopes. Now they are trying to sell us patience.
    that's the reality of the nfl. the teams we played in those afc championship games are either in the midst of or just starting rebuilding of their own

Two years ago we expected Sanchez to develop into a Franchise QB.

Today it's clear he isn't one.

Two years ago we were a contender (a pretender as it turned out).

Today we're not.

We're in an obvious rebuild. Our strength (Defense and Specials and the runnign game) got older and worse, and our weaknesses (QB and the Scoring O) did not improve to make up. What else should an owner say at this point in a rebuild other than "have patience"?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Anything he said would create someone here being snippy about it.

Personally, I think "Meddling Owner" is the most over-used, least legitimate excuse in the NFL. A convenient excuse to get a poor GM off the hook for what is his complete responsabillity.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You're kidding right?

I mean, Idzik got into Woody's head and told him to fire Tanny first, right?

Then he told him to bring Idzik in for interviews and told him to skip the others and bring Idzik on board.

Then given that he's never been a GM or ran a team, he told the billionaire owner how to run his team.

That makes more sense than Woody realizing the way Tanny was running the team wasn't working and made the changes needed.

+10000000000000

It's just that simple

No wonder why they're called bean counters.....they don't understand real world, and should be left alone to count the beans.....lol

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Two years ago we expected Sanchez to develop into a Franchise QB.

Today it's clear he isn't one.

Two years ago we were a contender (a pretender as it turned out).

Today we're not.

We're in an obvious rebuild. Our strength (Defense and Specials and the runnign game) got older and worse, and our weaknesses (QB and the Scoring O) did not improve to make up. What else should an owner say at this point in a rebuild other than "have patience"?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Anything he said would create someone here being snippy about it.

Personally, I think "Meddling Owner" is the most over-used, least legitimate excuse in the NFL. A convenient excuse to get a poor GM off the hook for what is his complete responsabillity.
    Exactly.

For years the Giants were the laughingstock of the league because of their ownership.

Fans boycotted games at GS. They flew planes over the stadium making fun of the team.

The NFL MADE them hire George Young to fix things, it was that bad. He did.

Now fans and the media have totally forgotten everything. The Maras are gods and the team is a model of a well run operation.

Jets Insider VIP
    who isn't patient?

John Idzik is prudently digging the Jets out of the ditch Tannenbaum drove the team into. One last move needs to be made before July training camp begins, that being the release of the Turnover Machine, Mark Buttfumble so that Garrard, Smith, McElroy and Simms can compete to be the starting QB for the season. One thing is certain IMO.... any of them will be a vast improvement over the QB performance of the past two seasons

Patience is the proper place for all of us to be for this season. Even so, it already looks brighter than the last two disasters caused by 26 interceptions and lost fumbles EACH season