Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conor Orr: Woody Johnson says Jets should be patient; won't discuss Rex's contract

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    For the second consecutive offseason, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is defending the decision to acquire a polarizing quarterback -- first Tim Tebow, now Geno Smith.

Johnson said Tuesday the Jets' talent evaluators gave the much-maligned Smith "a very high score" for his intangibles, revealing they would've picked the former West Virginia star in the first round if they had traded down with the 13th overall pick.
    I'm extremely happy to have him. He's welcome to the competition. It's going to be fun.
    -- Woody Johnson, on Geno Smith
    "I'm extremely happy to have him," Johnson told reporters at an NFL symposium in Philadelphia, adding: "He's welcome to the competition. It's going to be fun."

The quarterback competition won't include Tebow, who was released last week in a long-anticipated move. One year after proclaiming, "You can never have too much Tebow," Johnson acknowledged they goofed by trading for the popular backup.

"The fit, obviously, wasn't perfect or he would still be there," said Johnson, commenting for the first time since Tebow's release. "It's just one of those things. You make a lot of decisions in football that aren't going to help, that aren't helpful, and you have to move on from those decisions.

"When you make bad decisions, you make a decision that doesn't work ... I'm not saying it's a bad decision. [When] you make a decision that doesn't help the team, you move on. You have to learn to do that."

Johnson also has changed his stance regarding incumbent Mark Sanchez.

The owner, fiercely supportive of Sanchez last year in the aftermath of the controversial Tebow trade, backed off considerably, echoing the sentiment of new general manager John Idzik.

"At the quarterback position, it looks like we're going to have some competition, but we want it at every position," Johnson said.

When the Jets picked Smith in the second round (39th overall), it fueled speculation about Sanchez's future. There were rumblings he could be released despite a massive salary-cap hit.

Idzik's plan is to bring Sanchez to training camp to compete primarily against Smith and veteran journeyman David Garrard. While no one in the organization has said definitely that Sanchez will be on the preseason roster, Johnson strongly suggested that will be the case.

"I would expect him to compete," he said. "He's under contract."

The organization has lost faith in Sanchez after back-to-back 26-turnover seasons, hoping Smith can make a serious run at the starting job as a rookie.

Smith has yet to take a practice snap -- rookie minicamp begins Friday -- but he's also lugging a significant amount of baggage. He has received a heavy dose of criticism since the draft, with unnamed scouts and personnel types questioning his maturity.

Even though he has met Smith only once -- the standard, 15-minute interview at the scouting combine -- Johnson didn't seem concerned.

"We evaluate all those traits, skills and communication and leadership and all that," he said. "We evaluated that, and he got a very high score with us. He was the next guy on our board when we drafted him."

Johnson was careful not to label Smith a franchise quarterback, lest he inflate expectations. He did that last year with Tebow, saying he'd be with the Jets for the rest of his contract, through 2014.

"I'll let the competition go," Johnson said. "We'll just see how it goes. I don't want to prejudge it because they've got to go in there and compete every game. We'll see when they step on the field."

Johnson preached patience, referring to the entire team, not only Smith's development. The Jets are in the midst of a massive rebuilding project.

"Yes, be patient," he said. "Be patient and trust that we're doing the right thing for your team. ... It's going to take ... you have to have a little bit of faith. Watch."

ESPN.com's Ashley Fox contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ted-geno-smith
    How the hell is Geno a "polarizing" QB????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Two years ago they were trying to sell us SB hopes. Now they are trying to sell us patience.
    WTF else are they going to sell you? More SB hopes?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Translation.

"Yes there is a plan. Yes I signed off on it. Patience everyone, it might take a while and we might be bad this year. In fact, being bad this year is a big part of the plan but I am not allowed to actually admit publicly to that part of the plan.

In the mean time I think we will probably lose a bunch of games this year but the kids will show enough flashes to make some other parts of those games entertaining to watch. We NY Jets fans should have very real hopes going into the offseason next year that we are on a solid course and that the worst is behind us.

Next offseason we ditch a bunch of the remaining detritus (benefits of a classical education doncha know ) and have ourselves a draft for the ages.

Yours sincerely,

Woody ('The woodster') Johnson - Jets fan in chief"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    INteresting that they reveal they wanted to trade down from 13 to get Smith. That would have been the ideal scenario, getting Smith and possibly some other low first round/high second rated offensive target like a TE. That would have been a great plan, such a shame it didn't pan out. It did seem like Richardson came out of left field.

The Jets selected Smith with the 39th overall pick, but Johnson admitted that the team considered him in the first round “if we had dropped down.” Gang Green selected Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson with their two first-round selections.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-08-2013 at 12:58 PM.