Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the Jets record if things all work out?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    .........I don't think this guy is going to be better than McNabb.

All Pro
    I know Jet fans love to hate their team, but if everything goes right they're winning 12 games, and have a shot at the SB. Now there's little to no chance of everything going right, so if you don't want to speculate on that that's fine, but to say we win 6 games if everything goes right is worse than Sorry. We won 6 games last year with less talent, and absolutely everything going wrong. Just pathetic.

Patriots have to **** the bed as well.

If all goes well? Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I know most of us are expecting a really bad year for the Jets what if all thier offseason moves actually work out well for them, what do you think their record could be?

What if Willie Colon plays well?
    What if Austin Howard plays solid?
    What if the Winters kid can hold his own at Guard?
    What if Sanchez gets protection and looks okay?
    What if Ivory and Powell are a good combo?
    What if Holmes and Edwards return to form?
    What if Hill steps up in year two?
    What if Cumberland and Reuland nail down the TE position?
    What if Milliner proves he was worth the 1st round pick?
    What if Landry and Allen fill the safety spot nicely?
    What if Bush looks good at FS?
    What if Special Teams does a good job this year?

Suppose all these things happen, what do you think the Jet could do this season? Could they crack 9-7? Could they actually compete for a WC spot? Or if all these things work out could they compete with New England for the division?

We've heard enough doom and gloom. We're very familiar with what could go wrong. Now let's hear what you think if things actually work out for the Jets this year... It's possible, regardless of what the talking heads say, it IS possible...
    I'm not going to get into the "if all these things happen" scenario ... if everything went perfect for us we'd go 19-0.

There are 12 things listed above ... some more feasible than others. Even if we said each item has a 50 / 50 chance of happening, there's only about a 0.025% chance of them all happening. That's about 4000-1 odds. On a good day. And that doesn't even factor in injuries / depth / level of competition etc.

Personally I'm just going to approach the season with the view that this isn't about this year, it's about the longer term. See which players look good. See which units are starting to gel and perform. So that at the start of next year the list of "what ifs" above is fewer than 12 things. Then I can start to think of playoffs etc.

10-6 is the teams absolute ceiling in 2013. That's if everything hits right, they do not get the injury bug, all the youngsters contribute, we get surprisingly good play from the QB, we find a running game, the defense is still very good, the new ST's coach is able to resurrect the ST's.

The team, as it is currently comprised, simply is not capable of that. They will need to add more contributing players. We need a TE, WR?, FS, LB. That's just to cover the starting lineup. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some depth players if they are available.

So more than lilkely what you are looking at is another 6-10 season. But as I already posted, if everything goes right (which is BIG optimism) they could go 10-6 and sneak into a wildcard spot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    maybe not

better than Turnover #6

absolutely better

of course, almost any quarterback not named Matt Leinart is better than Sucky

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Really going out on a limb there... you don't think he's going to be better than a QB that was top 5 at his position over a 5 year period. A guy who went to 5 pro-bowls, and had a career 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

If Mornhinweg can turn Geno Smith into anything close to Donovan McNabb, that would be an incredible thing. Donovan McNabb early career is actually pretty impressive if you look at the garbage around him in his first 4 seasons (Westbrook's first 2 years in the league was before he was a star).

8-8.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Really going out on a limb there... you don't think he's going to be better than a QB that was top 5 at his position over a 5 year period. A guy who went to 5 pro-bowls, and had a career 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

If Mornhinweg can turn Geno Smith into anything close to Donovan McNabb, that would be an incredible thing. Donovan McNabb early career is actually pretty impressive if you look at the garbage around him in his first 4 seasons (Westbrook's first 2 years in the league was before he was a star).
    the Pic is not Geno Smith, but the point is the same

Garrard is millions of miles better than Sucky regardless of age

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I know most of us are expecting a really bad year for the Jets what if all thier offseason moves actually work out well for them, what do you think their record could be?

Suppose all these things happen, what do you think the Jet could do this season? Could they crack 9-7? Could they actually compete for a WC spot? Or if all these things work out could they compete with New England for the division?

We've heard enough doom and gloom. We're very familiar with what could go wrong. Now let's hear what you think if things actually work out for the Jets this year... It's possible, regardless of what the talking heads say, it IS possible...
    Braylon Edwards isn't even on the team anymore...

Hall Of Fame
    If Geno turns into Luck/RG3/Wilson? We will win 10 games.

We get all the breaks? 5-11

Most likely scenario? 3-13

Likely.

Likely.

Likely.

There is no chance of this happening because he will not be the starter.

Ivory and Goodson. Powell will be irrelevant.

Holmes is a big ? and Edwards is not on the roster.

Likely - cannot possibly look as lost as last season

They're both JAGs. Unlikely we get pass-catching production here.

Likely.

Possible.

Possible.

Likely.

The best possible scenario for this Jets team is that Geno Smith is a day 1 contributor and our defense is a Rex Ryan defense. If every single thing went our way - 9-7.

It all hinges on Geno. If he steps up and grabs the job we could be a playoff team. If we trot out Sanchez we are likely looking at 3-6 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    If all things work out Geno takes the Jets to the AFC Title game just like Sanchez did. This time Jets win! That's how things work out. Then you'll be pisssed b/c we cant draft a prospect in the top 10!
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    There are things that could happen hypothetically speaking that could be a tremendous influence on our season; for example, if Tom Brady had a season ending injury along with one of the other other elite teams we are scheduled to play has an equally bad injury. Then our team plays Offense the way Marty designs it and it clicks with whoever is playing.

Hypothetically, anything is possible. An 8-8 season this year followed by 10-6 next year is what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    If all things work out Geno takes the Jets to the AFC Title game just like Sanchez did. This time Jets win! That's how things work out. Then you'll be pisssed b/c we cant draft a prospect in the top 10!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    no more then 6 wins
    How about your Giants?

7-9 at best if Sanchez plays all year. He's just not good enough for me to expect better, especially with question marks at the playmaking positions and a tough schedule.

If we got good QB play (meaning someone other than Sanchez plays, be it Garrard or Smith), something like 9-7 or 10-6 would not be out of the question.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I know Jet fans love to hate their team, but if everything goes right they're winning 12 games, and have a shot at the SB. Now there's little to no chance of everything going right, so if you don't want to speculate on that that's fine, but to say we win 6 games if everything goes right is worse than Sorry. We won 6 games last year with less talent, and absolutely everything going wrong. Just pathetic.
    I know you're a respected poster here (and I like your avatar) so I will try to be as diplomatic as possible: With all due respect...

If you really want to get technical every team has a shot to win the SB, but common man!
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 05-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.