Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the Jets record if things all work out?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets really only need one thing to be better than they were in 2012: adequate play from the QB position. Besides Revis being gone (and it's not like he contributed much in '12 anyway) there hasn't been a big talent drop off across the board. In some areas, (gasp!) we may have even improved..

Of course, even if they get that, it might not reflected in their record. Having to go up against the AFC North and the NFC South is a little more difficult than the AFC South and the NFC West.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will be in the playoffs if they get:

1. 50% reduction in mistakes by the QB
    2. Solid play by the O-Line
    3. Upgraded running game
    4. Defensive play that is at least as good as last year.

I am as much as a pessimistic SOJF as they come but if these 4 things happen, I think we have a weak enough schedule where we can make the playoffs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am assuming they are going to re-sign Edwards. He's an experienced WR who, if healthy, can stretch the field a bit. Also they should be able to sign him up for the vet min, so there's no downside for the Jets here.

All in all, I personally feel the Jets actually have a decent chance at a respectable season. I do not foresee 3-13 or 6-10. MM is a very well respected OC and will be a big improvement over Sparano and Schotty, so it stands to reason our offensive production will be better.

If things go the Jets way, 9-7 with a shot at one of the lower seed playoff spots.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard also had 27 turnovers last time he played a full season. nobody knows this because he didnt play in NY. People also dont know Sanchez had 32 TDs the year after he had two AFC champ games, but everyone forgets those first 3 years of his because he plays in NY. The guy gets absolutely brutalized because of 1 terrible season with an absolutely terrible offensive team and o line.

I personally think Sanchez will be very good this year - the running game will be good which will help him like his first and second year, and then in addition, he personally will take a step up on his game in the WCO, and we will be a 10-6 team, with at least 1 playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the Pic is not Geno Smith, but the point is the same

Garrard is millions of miles better than Sucky regardless of age

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Really going out on a limb there... you don't think he's going to be better than a QB that was top 5 at his position over a 5 year period. A guy who went to 5 pro-bowls, and had a career 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

If Mornhinweg can turn Geno Smith into anything close to Donovan McNabb, that would be an incredible thing. Donovan McNabb early career is actually pretty impressive if you look at the garbage around him in his first 4 seasons (Westbrook's first 2 years in the league was before he was a star).
    Tell me about it. The only thing that matters is SB, nothing else. McNabb was the reason the Eagles couldn't get one, maybe two.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    8-8

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    He Said, if all things worked out. yes, I'm a deluded Jets fan, I always have hope till the season starts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If everything works out Geno wins OROY and we go 11-5. It is a rookie QB so your bound to take some bumps even if he looks great. For the last few years we have said as our QB so the team and I think that hold true here. Fact is Geno would be best case to win out the QB job because he has the highest up side of the group.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If everything works out Geno wins OROY and we go 11-5. It is a rookie QB so your bound to take some bumps even if he looks great. For the last few years we have said as our QB so the team and I think that hold true here. Fact is Geno would be best case to win out the QB job because he has the highest up side of the group.
    I think we need to remember that Smith himself was a bit of a turnover machine in college and how much more so will he be with NFL level competition coming at him every week? It remains to be seen, but I think Sanchez will be the starter with Garrard ready to step in if he faulters. Smith probably holds a clipboard this season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post
    Garrard also had 27 turnovers last time he played a full season. nobody knows this because he didnt play in NY. People also dont know Sanchez had 32 TDs the year after he had two AFC champ games, but everyone forgets those first 3 years of his because he plays in NY. The guy gets absolutely brutalized because of 1 terrible season with an absolutely terrible offensive team and o line.

I personally think Sanchez will be very good this year - the running game will be good which will help him like his first and second year, and then in addition, he personally will take a step up on his game in the WCO, and we will be a 10-6 team, with at least 1 playoff game.
    I really don't think that Sanchez can let things end this way. He can't let himself be known as "Buttfumbler" for the rest of his life. He's got every motivation to play well, because if he doesn't he can't erase that image from anyone's minds, and he absolutely must do that for his own self respect beyond football.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    All I know is there are a number of guys who are playing for their NFL lives this season.

Holmes has to prove he isn't done.
    Edwards has to prove he's worth another decent payday.
    D'Brick has a bad or so-so season and his stock falls dramatically.
    Howard has to prove himself again.
    Both TE's need or perform or they're gone.
    Ivory finally gets a real chance to be a #1 guy.
    Was Milliner worth the #9? He's gotta prove he was.

On the subject of Sanchez...

Suppose you're Mark Sanchez... Do you want to have that "Buttfumble" sh@t following you around the rest of your life? Money can't insulate you from everything... he'll be somewhere at 55 or 60 years old and someone will say "Hey! There's that buttfumbler guy I saw on the worst NFL moments video!" and laugh their azzes off...

If you're Mark Sanchez, what are you gonna do? What's the only way to erase the horror of that play and make sure you're known for something more? You've gotta play lights out this year... You MUST play lights out this year... If Sanchez gets the chance, he may just do that, because that's all he can do right now... it's all he MUST do...
    Right. Sanchez will play lights out this year because he made a fool of himself last year. He didn't have to play well all those other years so he just didn't, but now....now that he buttfumbled, he'll just turn it on and make us all forget.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets4life View Post
    Right. Sanchez will play lights out this year because he made a fool of himself last year. He didn't have to play well all those other years so he just didn't, but now....now that he buttfumbled, he'll just turn it on and make us all forget.
    Does he have a choice?

Really, you're Mark Sanchez: you wanna be known for this for the rest of your life? Really, THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

He can't leave football this way. It's a fate worse than death.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we need to remember that Smith himself was a bit of a turnover machine in college and how much more so will he be with NFL level competition coming at him every week?

i think we also need to remember that many of those were fumbles and some of those can be attributed to the funny offense being run. how many of those were due to the unusual offense and how many smith should shoulder the blame for are what we'll find out.

His TD & INT stats per year were very impressive:

2009 1 / 1
    2010 24 / 7
    2011 31 / 7
    2012 42 / 6

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 wins....................Vegas odds have increased steadily since February. Jets are currently 100 - 1 to win the Super Bowl. They started at 40 - 1 in Feb.

With the exception of Miami - the AFC East has not had a good off-season. It's debatable, but Buffalo may be worse off going into the '13 regular season than the end of the '12 season. The Jets win 5 with Buffalo equaling 2 of those victories.

Top 4 or 5 draft choice in '14

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It all hinges on Geno. If he steps up and grabs the job we could be a playoff team. If we trot out Sanchez we are likely looking at 3-6 wins.
    Not to be disagreeabale but maybe Sanchez will do much better with a real OC. Maybe Geno will win the battle and Sanchez is cut after June 1. I also think Garrard can win the job and be better then sanchez ever could BUT lets let the season unfurl .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he have a choice?

Really, you're Mark Sanchez: you wanna be known for this for the rest of your life? Really, THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

He can't leave football this way. It's a fate worse than death.
    If the guy does not have the ability or talent you should stop manufacturing excuses for him. Let the guy show what he has in a QB competition against a real QB in Garrard and a talented guy like GENO. Why bother pointing out that Geno fumbled in college. His OL sucked big time. He was forced to get rid of the ball when his tendency was to hold on to it! Let the competition begin and if Suckchez loses, he gets cut June 1. If he wins the Jets are better off and maybe he will become a franchise QB. I doubt it but stranger things have happened!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    16-0

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    If the guy does not have the ability or talent you should stop manufacturing excuses for him. Let the guy show what he has in a QB competition against a real QB in Garrard and a talented guy like GENO. Why bother pointing out that Geno fumbled in college. His OL sucked big time. He was forced to get rid of the ball when his tendency was to hold on to it! Let the competition begin and if Suckchez loses, he gets cut June 1. If he wins the Jets are better off and maybe he will become a franchise QB. I doubt it but stranger things have happened!
    What? I haven't made any excuses for Sanchez, I'm just pointing out that he has tremendous incentive to try an clear his name and his legacy. Or at least if I'm him that's what I'm trying to do this season. I'm not a Sanchez fan, I was against moving up to draft him in the first place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Hhahahahhaah +2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What? I haven't made any excuses for Sanchez, I'm just pointing out that he has tremendous incentive to try an clear his name and his legacy. Or at least if I'm him that's what I'm trying to do this season. I'm not a Sanchez fan, I was against moving up to draft him in the first place.
    You're not him

You're a message board poster

He's a failed girly headband wearing turnover machine

Bad enough we have ONE tool poster at JI blaming everything but Sucky including sunspots for his performance the past two seasons...two is too many