Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: How disgusting is Matt Harvey?

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    100 is not going to be enough unless they find 2 more Harveys. There is very little room for error if you want to keep a payroll like that and remain a consistent contender.
    I agree they need to spend than 100 eventually but you can't do it in one year....they can go get a cf like elsbury next year and a corner outfielder with power plus 1 sp and 2 good rp. 15 +12+15+7+7 =56. Add wheeler montero to rotation with niese and harvey and they will be set up for a winning season....if that works in 15 add 1to 2 more pieces and you have a serious contender.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Dude they will be around 50 mill in payroll. Sandy aleeady said they plan ro keep it near 100. They will Spend

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't trust the Wilpons & Sandy. Lots of talk - no action. Like I said I'm expecting them to be "outbid"

  3. #43
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I don't trust the Wilpons & Sandy. Lots of talk - no action. Like I said I'm expecting them to be "outbid"
    Not trusting and not understanding the process of rebuilding are two diff things. The mets were stuck with bad money for 4 years. Next year is the first year all the overpaid junk is gone.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Not trusting and not understanding the process of rebuilding are two diff things. The mets were stuck with bad money for 4 years. Next year is the first year all the overpaid junk is gone.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I understand the process, it just wouldn't surprise me if the Wilpons keep pocketing their money. There was nothing stopping them from being legit spenders the last couple of years.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets now get a larger cut of the team’s earnings. They own a majority of the cable network they are broadcast on and they own the stadium and the parking facilities. They play in the largest market in the country. They have Yankee-like earning potential.

    That being said: The Cubs own Chicago. The Cubs make money no matter how they play. For decades the owners have invested very little on their on-field talent.

    This is what scares me about the Wilpon’s and their “stinginess”

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The Mets now get a larger cut of the team’s earnings. They own a majority of the cable network they are broadcast on and they own the stadium and the parking facilities. They play in the largest market in the country. They have Yankee-like earning potential.

    That being said: The Cubs own Chicago. The Cubs make money no matter how they play. For decades the owners have invested very little on their on-field talent.

    This is what scares me about the Wilpon’s and their “stinginess”
    I hate the wilpons but they have shown that they will Spend money. The mets had to strip it down completely before they build it back up. Thisbis the last year of stripping.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Wilpons spending seems to be cyclical. The spent a ton of bad money in the 90s then became gun shy in the early-mid 2000s. Then Omar got them to loosen up and spend money again. Now for the past few years they have been really tight but at least they re-signed Wright.

    This year should be the last season of the salary purge but I don't expect them to spend money just for the sake of spending money. There are not a lot of great FAs available. I think there strategy is going to be to acquire a bunch of mid-level guys. Over the next couple of years I would hope to see them increase the payroll to 120. Maybe they decide to lock up Harvey after 2014. But if Wheeler hits a snag it will be interesting to see if they go after a big pitcher b.c they need a great 1-2 punch if they aren't going to have any big bats. Also, they need to start putting significant money in the bullpen. The difference between the bad teams and good teams is starting pitching. The difference between the good teams and the contenders is the bullpens. Sandy has done a terrible job with the bullpen but in fairness he has been shopping at the flea market.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us