Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How disgusting is Matt Harvey?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harvey has been great so far. If the Mets play it right they could be better than the Yankees in a couple years but the weak link is the ownership.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Harvey has been great so far. If the Mets play it right they could be better than the Yankees in a couple years but the weak link is the ownership.
    And it's a very weak link.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    And it's a very weak link.
    Could be worse. You could still have Steve Phillips as your GM. Have you heard that guy on Sirius? How the hell was he ever an MLB GM?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could be worse. You could still have Steve Phillips as your GM. Have you heard that guy on Sirius? How the hell was he ever an MLB GM?
    Steve Phillips was a joke and still is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    My son was at the game last night, and just before the Perfecto was lost I texted him from home that what he was experiencing was similar to me watching Gooden in 1985, dominating virtually every start. The type of pitcher that you start circling dates and teams on your calendar in anticipation of his next starts.

I've been a fan going on 50 years now, and only Seaver and Gooden, as home grown pitchers, have excited me as much as this kid does.
    That's the best analogy so far to describe the electricity. As a Mets fan, you would drop everything to catch a Gooden start, and the same is, so far, going for Harvey... hes electric, hes nasty, hes dominating.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If the rotation holds as it is and the weather doesn't screw up any more dates for awhile, we could see Harvey facing the Yanks at CitiField on Memorial Day.

A couple of big "ifs", but I've got my fingers crossed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Steve Phillips Mets were better than this team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    How so?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends which Steve Phillips Mets teams you are referring to. The 99 LCS or 2000 WS team, yes. The 02 & 03 versions with aging overpaid veterans who lost around 90 games a year, I would take this year's team any day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Depends which Steve Phillips Mets teams you are referring to. The 99 LCS or 2000 WS team, yes. The 02 & 03 versions with aging overpaid veterans who lost around 90 games a year, I would take this year's team any day.
    99 & 00 obviously. This team is gonna lose 90 games, too. And if wasn't for Matt Harvey they'd be on course to lose over 100.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    99 & 00 obviously. This team is gonna lose 90 games, too. And if wasn't for Matt Harvey they'd be on course to lose over 100.
    So this means that it is a good thing that Harvey is on the roster, right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    So this means that it is a good thing that Harvey is on the roster, right?
    Yes.

This team is basically Harvey, Wright and a bunch of guys who for the most part kinda suck.
    They are far away from being a good competitive team.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

But Sandy Alderson is a genius!

He uses a revolutionary system that has won zero World Series championships.

This system is known as “stinginess” or in some cases “stealing money from the fans”.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sandy is going nowhere. He was basically appointed by MLB to run the Mets. I don't even think the Wilpons could fire him if they wanted to.

Eventually the Mets are going to have to spend $$$. Not saying they need a $200MM payroll but they should be somewhere in the 130-150 range just b.c of the market they play in.

This offseason will be very telling. They have a lot of money coming off the books.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the subject of this thread -- heading to Wrigley this afternoon to get my first look at Harvey. Looking forward to a great afternoon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    That's the best analogy so far to describe the electricity. As a Mets fan, you would drop everything to catch a Gooden start, and the same is, so far, going for Harvey... hes electric, hes nasty, hes dominating.
    +1

My girlfriend asked me if I wanted to go to a Mets game Memorial Day weekend. I broke out the schedule and calculated that he probably won't be starting that weekend and told her no.

Mets are only worth watching when Harvey is on the mound. He's a total stud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sandy is going nowhere. He was basically appointed by MLB to run the Mets. I don't even think the Wilpons could fire him if they wanted to.

Eventually the Mets are going to have to spend $$$. Not saying they need a $200MM payroll but they should be somewhere in the 130-150 range just b.c of the market they play in.

This offseason will be very telling. They have a lot of money coming off the books.
    Agreed. They've claimed they could have theoretically spent money this past offseason but didn't. With as much money coming off the books after 2013 they pretty much have to spend. We'll see what happens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

They've had lots of money come off the books for years and they haven't added in a quite awhile. I'm not really sure that they'll spend this year either. I expect lots of rumors of interest but ultimately the Mets will be "outbid" by years/dollars on the top players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They've had lots of money come off the books for years and they haven't added in a quite awhile. I'm not really sure that they'll spend this year either. I expect lots of rumors of interest but ultimately the Mets will be "outbid" by years/dollars on the top players.
    Dude they will be around 50 mill in payroll. Sandy aleeady said they plan ro keep it near 100. They will Spend

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Dude they will be around 50 mill in payroll. Sandy aleeady said they plan ro keep it near 100. They will Spend

100 is not going to be enough unless they find 2 more Harveys. There is very little room for error if you want to keep a payroll like that and remain a consistent contender.