Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How many of you here are Giant fans too?

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Be careful what you wish for! Anway - These are not the Rangers of the GAG line (do you remember them?)- Ratelle, Gilbert and Hadfield and they don't have Eddie Giacomin in goal nor Brad Park roaming the blue line.

We're not afraid of these Rangers.
    The Penguins and Capitals just own us. I don't care if we had to face the 1984 Edmonton Oilers in the next round. Anyone but the Penguins.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Exactly. "Shouldn't care less about" does not equal "root for, as long as they're not playing the Jets."
    Yup.

I just don't get the Giants hatred, I really don't. We've got an older fan who remembers the AFL/NFL pain, I get that, no different than my hatred of the Islanders today after all the pain of 1980's.

The Giants have never meant anything to me. Even when we played them two years ago and they ruined our season, it wasn't any more/less painful for me than if we lost the exact same game to the Panthers. No Giants fan has ever been disrespectful to me, no Giant has ever said anything wrong or crossed the line, not like we're talking about the 1980's Miami Dolphins here.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that we're dealing with Mets fans again. I can see how a Mets fan would be insanely jealous of the Yankees, project that same venom at the Giants. As a Yankee fan, I know how I feel about the Mets, thus I know what Giants fans think of the Jets; they just don't care.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Football is different than baseball. If you are a Met's fan--you hate the yankees and vice versa.. But that usually isn't the case with Jets and Giants.. I have family who are fans of both teams equally (I think that is weird but okay)... Just wondering how many people here are Giants fans as well?
    I love the Giants, probably more than the Jets. In fact, I'm wearing an inflatable Giants helmet as I write these words.

Every morning I face East Rutherford, kneel, and pray for the Gijets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I despise the Giants, I despise the Islanders, and I have a very special bag of hatred set aside for the Yankees.

Jets, Mets, Rangers, Knicks in my blood. I blame my father.

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I love the Giants, probably more than the Jets. In fact, I'm wearing an inflatable Giants helmet as I write these words.

Every morning I face East Rutherford, kneel, and pray for the Gijets.
    Oh that makes me so not angry.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    to be a passionate die hard fan YES....how can you root for 2 teams? what happens when they play each other...that's absurd........I have been a Jets-Yankees-Knicks fan since 1975 when I pops took me to see all teams play.....NEVER LOOKED BACK....I could give a rats tuckus about the giants-mets-Brooklyn nets.....DIE HARD fan here.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Says who? Is this a law of nature?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I don't hate the giants...no reason to...they however are just another team in the league to me....I bleed Jets green and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Really can't stand the VaG-men myself, but if its the Dolphins or Marcia's team, I gotta root for them, gotta support the hometown. The guys I was watching the Super Bowl with in 2007 couldn't believe I wasn't a Giants fan at the end of the game. I woulda been so depressed if they went 19-0 and was certain they were gonna do it.

Completely different tho with the Yanks. When they played Atlanta in 1996, 1999 and the Phillies in 2009, I had next to no interest. No one to cheer for. It was lose lose. Definitely credit it to my old man for instilling such a visceral Brooklyn Dodger spawned hatred for the Yankees.
    I don't let it get to me though believe it or not. It's just detached hate at this point in my life.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Football is different than baseball. If you are a Met's fan--you hate the yankees and vice versa.. But that usually isn't the case with Jets and Giants.. I have family who are fans of both teams equally (I think that is weird but okay)... Just wondering how many people here are Giants fans as well?
    Yea...Football is different, baseball sucks and so do the Giants...
    I want somebody to look me in the eye and tell me that they watch 9 innings of baseball....

Diehard Jets fan

Can't root for the Giants. Only time I rooted for the Giants was to beat the Pats to stop their perfect season. I rooted against both the Pate and Giants in the last Super Bowl (if that is possible). I wake up, take a sh!t and think about the Jets. I go to sleep and wonder if I should "invest" my time & money on another PSL or remain in my comfy club seats. In the end, I sometimes wonder which new luxury car to get for commute to office. Any advice is welcome between Audi A6 or A7 vs BMW 4 or 5 series. ---Back to the Jets, I think my 3 year old may be a Giants fan. ( the 6 yr old is definitely a Jets fan)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Islanders won every Stanley Cup for all 4 years of my high school existence. The endless teasing, the heartbreaking losses, the high school crowd made being a Ranger fan a hardship. To this day, I hate everything about the Islanders even though they've been a joke for the past 15 years. I feel you in that regard.

I never got any abuse from a Giants fan, ever, so I am ambivalent towards them and their fans, might as well be the Arizona Cardinals as far as I'm concerned.

SAR I
    The Rangers are the Mets of the NHL.

Grew up a huge Jets, Mets, Knick fan. Got a job with Harry M Stevens in the late 60's and sold peanuts in the upper deck to see the 69 world series and went to many Jets games for free and standing for 5 to 6 hours in freezing windy conditions.

In 1976 I moved to Boston 1 block from Fenway. All my friends up there were huge Sox fans. First game I went to was a Yankee game. Bought a Yankee hat and never looked back. The Stadium, the team, the way they treat their fans blows the Mets away. The first Met game I went to at the new stadium said it all. This stadium was a temple to the Brooklyn Dodgers not the NY Mets. No Seaver, No Cleon Jones, no Dwight Gooden, Daryl Strawberry nothing to indicate that this wasn't just a rebuild of Ebbets field.

You go to the New Yankee stadium and the ask how you are, need help, put out spreads of food that a Roman Emperor would be proud to have an orgy on. They also field a pretty good product most of the time.

In a word the Mets suck and it's not about the team they field.

At the end of the day being a fan is made up of memories built over a lifetime. The last 30 years the Yankees and Giants have simply done a better job of building good memories for their fans. Hard to hate them for doing what they are supposed to do.

Woody has done some very good things to make the fan experience better. Now he has to bring a winner to the fans and do everything he can for a first class experience for the fans going forward over a very long period of time.

Hate the Yankees and the Giants, hardly. They are setting the bar right now. At the end of the day it's about positive experiences over time and the Jets are second in a metro area that has 2 teams.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If you're a fan of two teams, you're a fan of no teams.
    End thread.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Grew up a huge Jets, Mets, Knick fan. Got a job with Harry M Stevens in the late 60's and sold peanuts in the upper deck to see the 69 world series and went to many Jets games for free and standing for 5 to 6 hours in freezing windy conditions.

In 1976 I moved to Boston 1 block from Fenway. All my friends up there were huge Sox fans. First game I went to was a Yankee game. Bought a Yankee hat and never looked back. The Stadium, the team, the way they treat their fans blows the Mets away. The first Met game I went to at the new stadium said it all. This stadium was a temple to the Brooklyn Dodgers not the NY Mets. No Seaver, No Cleon Jones, no Dwight Gooden, Daryl Strawberry nothing to indicate that this wasn't just a rebuild of Ebbets field.

You go to the New Yankee stadium and the ask how you are, need help, put out spreads of food that a Roman Emperor would be proud to have an orgy on. They also field a pretty good product most of the time.

In a word the Mets suck and it's not about the team they field.

At the end of the day being a fan is made up of memories built over a lifetime. The last 30 years the Yankees and Giants have simply done a better job of building good memories for their fans. Hard to hate them for doing what they are supposed to do.

Woody has done some very good things to make the fan experience better. Now he has to bring a winner to the fans and do everything he can for a first class experience for the fans going forward over a very long period of time.

Hate the Yankees and the Giants, hardly. They are setting the bar right now. At the end of the day it's about positive experiences over time and the Jets are second in a metro area that has 2 teams.
    Peanuts?

Anyway, I think the general resentment toward the Giants that many Jets fans feel is a product of how the media reports on the two franchises. The "Big Blue" corporate, Tom Watson IBM, Giants vs. the James Dean, "rebel without a cause" Jets. Add to that the fact that guys like Francessa and Meyers are certified Giants fans and you get essentially fan-based journalism. Were it not for that, I think the feeling of being slighted and/or ridiculed would be far less trenchant. I still find the Giants to be a boring franchise, despite their winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    The Rangers are the Mets of the NHL.
    No, that would be the islanders.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Peanuts?

Anyway, I think the general resentment toward the Giants that many Jets fans feel is a product of how the media reports on the two franchises. The "Big Blue" corporate, Tom Watson IBM, Giants vs. the James Dean, "rebel without a cause" Jets. Add to that the fact that guys like Francessa and Meyers are certified Giants fans and you get essentially fan-based journalism. Were it not for that, I think the feeling of being slighted and/or ridiculed would be far less trenchant. I still find the Giants to be a boring franchise, despite their winning record.
    I have the luxury of becoming a Jets fan during the Namath era. Those memories will keep stay with me for a lifetime. The idea that the Jets are James Dean was built on Namath's shoulders. It's fading and no longer relevant.

Practice Squad
    I HATE the Giants. The fans are extremely arrogant, most don't know squat about the history of their team, and have never really suffered thru hard times. Everything to them is 1986-present. They even had some decent teams during the Dan Reeves & Jim Fassel eras, their so-called "hard times."

As far as the AFC East goes, I actually hate the Phins more than the Pats. Grew up hating those 1980s Miami teams. Actually used to root for the Pats from time to time before the Brady era. The Bills never had any opinion either way.

As far as other sports, I don't care. I can't see getting all excited about baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.
    Last edited by Jmat321; 05-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.

No, that would be the islanders.

SAR I
    4 cups since the 20s is pretty awful. Hockey in New York is a wierd situation. There are 2 Met-type teams. No Yankee/Giant model franchise for sure. The Rangers are just the more popular of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    4 cups since the 20s is pretty awful. Hockey in New York is a wierd situation. There are 2 Met-type teams. No Yankee/Giant model franchise for sure. The Rangers are just the more popular of the two.
    Being at the Garden for Game 7 and seeing them skate around with the Cup in 1994 is all I need to be satisfied.

The Rangers could go the next 50 years without a Cup and I wouldn't care one iota. I got what I needed from this team, it was the high point of my sports-fan life, I don't even think a Jets Super Bowl victory could top it.

The Rangers always make it interesting and they are going about it the right way. The recent trades to bring in some young role players, the homegrown leaders, the stellar goaltending, adding the occasional star veteran, cannot complain.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Being at the Garden for Game 7 and seeing them skate around with the Cup in 1994 is all I need to be satisfied.

The Rangers could go the next 50 years without a Cup and I wouldn't care one iota. I got what I needed from this team, it was the high point of my sports-fan life, I don't even think a Jets Super Bowl victory could top it.

The Rangers always make it interesting and they are going about it the right way. The recent trades to bring in some young role players, the homegrown leaders, the stellar goaltending, adding the occasional star veteran, cannot complain.

SAR I
    Agreed...although they are closer to the JETS in performance and it's frustrating.

I go back to Giacoman, Gilbert, Brad Park and 1994 was magical.

It's frustrating watching them get outplayed year in year out lately. But I hear you.

SAR I
    I hear you on that. If the Jets ever won one I would be satisfied but I can admit that as a Yankee fan, that's a very Met-like mindset.