Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How many of you here are Giant fans too?

Guck the Fiants, where is that guy? One of the best user names on this forum in past years.

All League
    Can we dumplock this friggin thread already. I'm getting nauseous seeing their filthy name in the thread title.

With me it's an AFL/NFL thing. I can't stand the Giants and the Maras. I hated how they always treated the Jets. I hated that when we won the Super Bowl the Giants were favored in the preseason game the next year because - Hey they're the Giants and the NFL. Frank Gifford actually said that on TV when he picked the Giants before the game. That win by the Jets was probably the 2nd most thrilling victory ever for the franchise - and that was a preseason game. I hated how the Giants were given the first pick in the first combined draft - was a precondition of the merger - even though they didn't qualify for the pick. They ended up picking Tucker Frederickson who was a pretty good FB but not as good as Matt Snell whom the Jets outbid the Giants for to sign. Hated how the Giants started the war that led to the merger by signing Pete Gogolak.

I just hate everything about the Giants.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    With me it's an AFL/NFL thing. I can't stand the Giants and the Maras. I hated how they always treated the Jets. I hated that when we won the Super Bowl the Giants were favored in the preseason game the next year because - Hey they're the Giants and the NFL. Frank Gifford actually said that on TV when he picked the Giants before the game. That win by the Jets was probably the 2nd most thrilling victory ever for the franchise - and that was a preseason game. I hated how the Giants were given the first pick in the first combined draft - was a precondition of the merger - even though they didn't qualify for the pick. They ended up picking Tucker Frederickson who was a pretty good FB but not as good as Matt Snell whom the Jets outbid the Giants for to sign. Hated how the Giants started the war that led to the merger by signing Pete Gogolak.

I just hate everything about the Giants.
    The Islanders won every Stanley Cup for all 4 years of my high school existence. The endless teasing, the heartbreaking losses, the high school crowd made being a Ranger fan a hardship. To this day, I hate everything about the Islanders even though they've been a joke for the past 15 years. I feel you in that regard.

I never got any abuse from a Giants fan, ever, so I am ambivalent towards them and their fans, might as well be the Arizona Cardinals as far as I'm concerned.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I just don't feel this hate, never did.

They're not in our conference, they have no impact on our playoff standings 75% of the time, and we no longer play in their stadium. The benefits of the Giants are a) they provide a strong second-game each Sunday as they usually play the NFC division winners each year, b) their presence in the NY market ensures that our owner has to stay on his toes and keep us competitive.

SAR I
    Horrible reasoning.
    a) That "2nd strong game" every Sunday is occasionally the Giants vs a crappy team in a one sided blow out, or watching the Giants play a meaningless game. Without the Giants, we'd be assured of the best game of the week during that time slot.
    b) Most NY market teams have to be competitive regardless of the existence of another local franchise to compete with.

I've always felt we'd be much more successful when guys like SAR I officially divorce themselves from the Jets and switch allegiances to the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If you're a fan of two teams, you're a fan of no teams.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    I have no problem rooting for the Giants. I like Eli Manning. I would never label myself a Giants FAN, but I have no reason to be against them.

I wouldn't label you a Jets FAN either. Just my opinion, but if the Jets ever win a SB (funny, I know) then anyone who has suffered with this team will feel an absolute exhiliration. If you also root for the Giants, you can't possibly feel that. You've never suffered if you've experienced all of the good luck on the Giants' behalf that Jet fans never feel. So you may be happy if the Jets win, but you're not really a fan.

Btw, there is nothing wrong with this. I am this way in hockey. I am rooting for the Rangers and Islanders in the playoffs. I like to see both of them do well... but I can't call myself a fan of either. I can't feel the same way as Islander fans who are on top of the world after so many years out of the playoffs, because I root for the Rangers every year. As someone else said: casual fan of both, actual fan of neither.

The Islanders won every Stanley Cup for all 4 years of my high school existence. The endless teasing, the heartbreaking losses, the high school crowd made being a Ranger fan a hardship. To this day, I hate everything about the Islanders even though they've been a joke for the past 15 years. I feel you in that regard.

I never got any abuse from a Giants fan, ever, so I am ambivalent towards them and their fans, might as well be the Arizona Cardinals as far as I'm concerned.

SAR I
    I think the thing is that you are too young to remember pre-merger football. If you did, and you were a Jet fan you could not possibly be indifferent to the Giants.

I was always a diehard Ranger fan. My big hate was the Bruins - especially Phil Esposito - and my favorite players were Ratelle, Gilbert and Brad Park. Then one day Emile Francis goes and trades Ratelle and Park for Esposito. I was outraged and said never again will I root for that team. The Islanders were just a few years old and I started to root for them just when they started to get good.

Did you see the game last night SAR? The Isles are a fun team again. The old barn off the Meadowbrook was alive. Enjoyed that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    At this point I'm married to the Jets. The Giants are like a hot girl with a great ass. I admire them only when wearing sun glasses and I try not to stare at them when my wife is performing.
    I think they're stuck up, stupid, and have a fat butt, but somehow always end up invited to the ball. Probably because they're sluts.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think they're stuck up, stupid, and have a fat butt, but somehow always end up invited to the ball. Probably because they're sluts.
    You made me lol. damn b*tches they are.

All Pro
    The Giants ruin my Sundays. That's why I hate them. I could be watching 3 other games. Instead I have to watch that boring, ugly team, and whoever they're playing. I love any week that they're off. Not to mention having to hear their fans on the radio take up valuable time. None of them know anything about football. Nothing to talk about anyway. They are a vanilla team with a QB that gets super hot sometimes, and a great pass rush. I really hope Geno turns into a great QB, and we can have a decade of dominance.

Picking another team to root for casually is like going to a strip club while your wife is away. I try to find a reason to root for a team any game I watch. Sometimes I'll switch in the middle of the game. Having a second favorite team is like having a mistress. It means you lack character. Liking the Jets, and talking about the Giants, or Pats like you wish they were yours is pathetic, and disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    I've always felt we'd be much more successful when guys like SAR I officially divorce themselves from the Jets and switch allegiances to the Giants.
    HAHAHA +1

I have accused him of being a Giants fan on countless occasions- now that I know his whole family roots for them, I completely understand.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It is interesting the the most whiney, the glass is always half full jet fans are fine with the Giants and have no issues with them.

Telling.
    Not as telling as your incoherent post.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    SOrry...GIants against the Pats? SB?

I go regional.

Go Giants. Rest of the time, suck it.

-
    I realize that in the playoffs and the SB you play until someone wins, but when the Giants played the Pats i was secretly hoping for a tie.

I am a Jets fan, and everyone else is the enemy.

Oh, and then there's the Dolphins.

I used to hate the Giants but them beating the Pats has really dulled the flames of dislike. Frankly I even sometimes root for them. But I'm nowhere close to a fan....you can only be a fan of one team, no exceptions

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Horrible reasoning.
    a) That "2nd strong game" every Sunday is occasionally the Giants vs a crappy team in a one sided blow out, or watching the Giants play a meaningless game. Without the Giants, we'd be assured of the best game of the week during that time slot.
    b) Most NY market teams have to be competitive regardless of the existence of another local franchise to compete with.

Don't project your personal insecurities on me.

If you feel like a second-class citizen to the Giants, you do that to yourself chief. Giants fans couldn't care less about the Jets, Jets fans shouldn't care less about the Giants. And if only the Jets were in the NY market, the stadium would always be sold out, there would be a waiting list, no incentive for the owner to push his team that extra bit over the top.

Since 2001, I've spent $118,150 on the Jets. Tickets, PSL's, hotels, flights, hoodies, baby bibs, you name it. Go tell someone else they're not a true fan.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    I think the thing is that you are too young to remember pre-merger football. If you did, and you were a Jet fan you could not possibly be indifferent to the Giants.

I was always a diehard Ranger fan. My big hate was the Bruins - especially Phil Esposito - and my favorite players were Ratelle, Gilbert and Brad Park. Then one day Emile Francis goes and trades Ratelle and Park for Esposito. I was outraged and said never again will I root for that team. The Islanders were just a few years old and I started to root for them just when they started to get good.

Did you see the game last night SAR? The Isles are a fun team again. The old barn off the Meadowbrook was alive. Enjoyed that.
    Agreed that if I were older than 2 years old during the halcyon days of the AFL/NFL rivalry I'd likely hate the Giants with a passion. I was too young, it never mattered to me.

Similarly, I wasn't subjected to any teasing or abuse during the entire length of my elementary > junior high > high school years because the Giants were awful from 1972-1982. By the time the Parcells Giants got good, I was out of college and busy building my life.

I'm glad the Islanders are doing well. The entire NHL is rooting for the Islanders. We'd all rather have the Uniondale layup in the next round than the Pittsburgh battle.

SAR I

I'm glad the Islanders are doing well. The entire NHL is rooting for the Islanders. We'd all rather have the Uniondale layup in the next round than the Pittsburgh battle.

SAR I
    Be careful what you wish for! Anway - These are not the Rangers of the GAG line (do you remember them?)- Ratelle, Gilbert and Hadfield and they don't have Eddie Giacomin in goal nor Brad Park roaming the blue line.

We're not afraid of these Rangers.

I love the Jets, I respect the Giants.

That means even when the Jets do things that infuriate me they're still my team. The Jets are a team for underdogs, the Giants are a team for people who expect to win all the time. Giants fans are a lot like Patriots fans in this regard.

Giants fans couldn't care less about the Jets, Jets fans shouldn't care less about the Giants.

Exactly. "Shouldn't care less about" does not equal "root for, as long as they're not playing the Jets."