Thread: Alex Ferguson Retires

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex Ferguson Retires

It's official.

Wonder who'll replace him. Not many big names available.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    It's official.

Steve Sampson.

Congratulations to Sir Alex on an incredible career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    It's official.

Hopefully this man:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's really incredible how long he's been coaching there.

The most amazing perspective is that when he started with Manchester United England was still completely banned from European play because of Heysel and would be for another 3 seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Moyes is the frontrunner, or so I've read.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in the same part of Glasgow as Ferguson - albeit some forty-odd years later - but I despised him as a football manager.

Granted, he was tremendously successful and talented however that was only half the story. A lot of his success also ouwed much to myopicism, intimidation, hypocrisy and downright bullying. He also oversaw the transformation of Manchester United - once one of the real class acts of British football - into a whoreish, marketed-to-death, corporation who were the forerunner of the sort of glitz and glamour minus substance that abounds in English and European football at the top levels. They had wealth to make your eyes water and outspent every other club in England by a great margin and put themselves in such an advantageous position that it took oligarchs to come into the game to redress that imbalance.

All that said, I'm not as bitter towards Ferguson as I sound! Indeed, I'd suggest what he did at Aberdeen was equally impressive as his Manchester United tenure.

What I would like to say is that, as a man, Ferguson is first rate. He has done an awful lot here in his local housing scheme, in Glasgow, Aberdeeen, Manchester and other times to numerous to mention and all very quietly. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

For those of you who are interested, I'd really suggest looking into the history of British football managers if you have the time. Stein, Paisley, Busby, Shankly, Clough along with Ferguson are probably the guys to focus on. All did great things and are incredible personalities and arguably nothing has charted the change in Britain like the stories of these guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow_Jet View Post
    I was born in the same part of Glasgow as Ferguson - albeit some forty-odd years later - but I despised him as a football manager.

Granted, he was tremendously successful and talented however that was only half the story. A lot of his success also ouwed much to myopicism, intimidation, hypocrisy and downright bullying. He also oversaw the transformation of Manchester United - once one of the real class acts of British football - into a whoreish, marketed-to-death, corporation who were the forerunner of the sort of glitz and glamour minus substance that abounds in English and European football at the top levels. They had wealth to make your eyes water and outspent every other club in England by a great margin and put themselves in such an advantageous position that it took oligarchs to come into the game to redress that imbalance.

All that said, I'm not as bitter towards Ferguson as I sound! Indeed, I'd suggest what he did at Aberdeen was equally impressive as his Manchester United tenure.

What I would like to say is that, as a man, Ferguson is first rate. He has done an awful lot here in his local housing scheme, in Glasgow, Aberdeeen, Manchester and other times to numerous to mention and all very quietly. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

For those of you who are interested, I'd really suggest looking into the history of British football managers if you have the time. Stein, Paisley, Busby, Shankly, Clough along with Ferguson are probably the guys to focus on. All did great things and are incredible personalities and arguably nothing has charted the change in Britain like the stories of these guys.
    Welcome mate. Who's your side gers or bhoys?