Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98

Thread: Wilkerson & Coples ~ ~ ~

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,382
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    In terms of weighting, rushing the passer as an OLB skill is far more important IMHO than covering RB's and TE's. No one cares how Suggs can cover Gronk, justy how much and often he can bash Brady...
    exactly

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I think Couples development is going to make or break Rex Ryan. If he busts because of his lack of personal discipline it will reflect badly on Rex's ability to develop a talented player and put him in a position to succeed. If Couples can be turned around this D could be very good for a long time.
    turned around did he play poorly last year the guy lead the team in sacks last year be it was only 5.5 but he still lead the team. most of them came late in the year he got rolling as he played more. lets hope for double digits this year.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    ~ ~ Jake from Baltimore writes : Quinton Coples is being moved to OLB. He is too heavy now and needs to lose a few. But aside from that, what kind of success could the Jets expect there ?

    Walker :
    Coples was finally getting it late in the year. I worry that a position change will stunt his growth, but an outside rusher is what the team needs. Coples will struggle in pass coverage. Itís not natural for him to guard tight ends and slot receivers. But I expect Jets head coach Rex Ryan to use Coplesí strengths and blitz him more often than not. This is something to keep an eye on in training camp and the preseason.

    rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...br /> mailbag

    they started this late last season he played olb and de the last 3 or 4 games i expect you will see more of the same

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,382
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    turned around did he play poorly last year the guy lead the team in sacks last year be it was only 5.5 but he still lead the team. most of them came late in the year he got rolling as he played more. lets hope for double digits this year.
    he is still young...hopefully he will continue to develop/improve & be a productive player for us

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I think Couples development is going to make or break Rex Ryan. If he busts because of his lack of personal discipline it will reflect badly on Rex's ability to develop a talented player and put him in a position to succeed. If Couples can be turned around this D could be very good for a long time.
    Turned around? What makes you think he needs to be turned around?

    He had one incident a year ago where he felt he deserved to stick with the number ones because he did well in some preseason games. Rex took that story to the press. Coples kept his mouth shut and did his job, all in all doing a nice job in limited snaps.

    Rex has been on him because he wants the best to come out and he believes he has that talent to be superior. But I certainly do not where he needs to be turned around? He's not a bad kid, just a little immature maybe.

    You're making it sound like he's Mike Vick. His violations, if you could even call them that, aren't even in the same ballpark as Mike Vick's infractions.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Turned around? What makes you think he needs to be turned around?

    He had one incident a year ago where he felt he deserved to stick with the number ones because he did well in some preseason games. Rex took that story to the press. Coples kept his mouth shut and did his job, all in all doing a nice job in limited snaps.

    Rex has been on him because he wants the best to come out and he believes he has that talent to be superior. But I certainly do not where he needs to be turned around? He's not a bad kid, just a little immature maybe.

    You're making it sound like he's Mike Vick. His violations, if you could even call them that, aren't even in the same ballpark as Mike Vick's infractions.
    agreed...let'see how he does this season

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Turned around? What makes you think he needs to be turned around?

    He had one incident a year ago where he felt he deserved to stick with the number ones because he did well in some preseason games. Rex took that story to the press. Coples kept his mouth shut and did his job, all in all doing a nice job in limited snaps.

    Rex has been on him because he wants the best to come out and he believes he has that talent to be superior. But I certainly do not where he needs to be turned around? He's not a bad kid, just a little immature maybe.

    You're making it sound like he's Mike Vick. His violations, if you could even call them that, aren't even in the same ballpark as Mike Vick's infractions.
    He's a guy who is known to have a low motor and take plays off. In the NFL guys who take plays off, low motor guys, tend to suck the life out of teams.

    Richardson is the exact opposite of Couples, talent and a guy who is all effort all the time. Couples might have been picked in the top 4 if the tape showed him to be a high effort player. He might mature out of being lazy, might not.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He's a guy who is known to have a low motor and take plays off. In the NFL guys who take plays off, low motor guys, tend to suck the life out of teams.

    Richardson is the exact opposite of Couples, talent and a guy who is all effort all the time. Couples might have been picked in the top 4 if the tape showed him to be a high effort player. He might mature out of being lazy, might not.
    i hope he does " mature out of being lazy "...perhaps our coaching staff can help him w/ that

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He's a guy who is known to have a low motor and take plays off. In the NFL guys who take plays off, low motor guys, tend to suck the life out of teams.

    Richardson is the exact opposite of Couples, talent and a guy who is all effort all the time. Couples might have been picked in the top 4 if the tape showed him to be a high effort player. He might mature out of being lazy, might not.
    First of all Freddy Couples is 54 years old, has a bad back but still can contend occasionally on the PGA tour. He is way too small to play DL in the NFL.

    Quenton Coples, on the other hand had a fine rookie season. All the lazy, low motor stories you and a couple of other gloomy know nothings continue to spew here stemmed from being misused by an incompetent new HC in his senior year at UNC.

    It would probably help to have actually watched his prior seasons in college and his rookie season with the Jets before repeating disproved nonsense about a player whose name you can't even spell correctly.

    It makes you sound lazy with a low motor

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He's a guy who is known to have a low motor and take plays off. In the NFL guys who take plays off, low motor guys, tend to suck the life out of teams.

    Richardson is the exact opposite of Couples, talent and a guy who is all effort all the time. Couples might have been picked in the top 4 if the tape showed him to be a high effort player. He might mature out of being lazy, might not.
    You're trying to nail Coples for his reputation coming out of college? A reputation that was complete BS as far as I am concerned.

    He got that rep because he had decreased production in his senior year. Meanwhile, no consideration was given to the facts that UNC had a new HC, a new defensive philosophy, and the institution was in hot water with the NCAA.

    A little harsh don't you think?

    In his rookie season, he showed NO signs whatsoever of having that low motor and taking plays off. In limited snaps, as I said already, he showed a lot of promise.

    So once again, I disagree that he needs to be "turned around". That's just simply inaccurate and unfair.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You're trying to nail Coples for his reputation coming out of college? A reputation that was complete BS as far as I am concerned.

    He got that rep because he had decreased production in his senior year. Meanwhile, no consideration was given to the facts that UNC had a new HC, a new defensive philosophy, and the institution was in hot water with the NCAA.

    A little harsh don't you think?

    In his rookie season, he showed NO signs whatsoever of having that low motor and taking plays off. In limited snaps, as I said already, he showed a lot of promise.

    So once again, I disagree that he needs to be "turned around". That's just simply inaccurate and unfair.
    Rex anointed Couples the starter in TC last year. He ended up benching him. The guy did well as a pass rusher however if you compare the percentage of snaps he took as a rookie compared with Wilkerson as a rookie it's not even close.

    This guy has amazing talent and on a Jets team desperate for a huge upgrade on the line he only took a little over 50% of the snaps. It's not as if the Jets were loaded in the front 7 last year.

    The guy has to become much better on ever snap if he is going to be more than just a pass rushing specialist. In other words he has to work.

    Wilkerson played more snaps than any NY Jets lineman in his rookie year and was drafted much further down.

    Great talent but he has to pick it up big time and Rex's job may well be on the line. If this guy does pick it up he can turn the D around. If he doesn't we are again going to have issues in the front 7.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    First of all Freddy Couples is 54 years old, has a bad back but still can contend occasionally on the PGA tour. He is way too small to play DL in the NFL.

    Quenton Coples, on the other hand had a fine rookie season. All the lazy, low motor stories you and a couple of other gloomy know nothings continue to spew here stemmed from being misused by an incompetent new HC in his senior year at UNC.

    It would probably help to have actually watched his prior seasons in college and his rookie season with the Jets before repeating disproved nonsense about a player whose name you can't even spell correctly.

    It makes you sound lazy with a low motor
    For you this counts as very funny stuff. Congrats, I didn't think you had it in you to come up for air while going down on the latest Jets prospect to fill the role of Gerry Philbin.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Rex anointed Couples the starter in TC last year. He ended up benching him. The guy did well as a pass rusher however if you compare the percentage of snaps he took as a rookie compared with Wilkerson as a rookie it's not even close.

    This guy has amazing talent and on a Jets team desperate for a huge upgrade on the line he only took a little over 50% of the snaps. It's not as if the Jets were loaded in the front 7 last year.

    The guy has to become much better on ever snap if he is going to be more than just a pass rushing specialist. In other words he has to work.

    Wilkerson played more snaps than any NY Jets lineman in his rookie year and was drafted much further down.

    Great talent but he has to pick it up big time and Rex's job may well be on the line. If this guy does pick it up he can turn the D around. If he doesn't we are again going to have issues in the front 7.
    No he didn't anoint Coples as the starter. He asked Devito to take backup money as Coples would "eventually" start. But he never anointed Coples the starter. He wanted Coples to grow into the starters job.

    You're also blaming Coples for Rex's decision to give him less snaps? And you think that's because he underperformed? You know that how?

    Wilkerson got many more snaps in his rookie year because the jets DID NOT resign Shaun Ellis. They had no replacement for him, meaning Wilk was the guy for lack of any veteran presence.

    Not the same in Coples case. The Jets still had Mike Devito on the team.

    I think your information and conclusions are way off.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    No he didn't anoint Coples as the starter. He asked Devito to take backup money as Coples would "eventually" start. But he never anointed Coples the starter. He wanted Coples to grow into the starters job.

    You're also blaming Coples for Rex's decision to give him less snaps? And you think that's because he underperformed? You know that how?

    Wilkerson got many more snaps in his rookie year because the jets DID NOT resign Shaun Ellis. They had no replacement for him, meaning Wilk was the guy for lack of any veteran presence.

    Not the same in Coples case. The Jets still had Mike Devito on the team.

    I think your information and conclusions are way off.
    He not only said Couples would be the starter when he played him the last pre-season game he made it a point to say he was the only starter who was going to play.

    Wilkerson started and played more snaps than any other Jets D lineman his rookie year because he worked his ass off and was the best overall lineman on the team.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,764
    Never annointed anything but because of his ability, talent and hard work he became a starter and recorded nearly six sacks as a 3-4 DE where sacks are generally low because of the need to protect the edge.

    But go ahead and continue to spew your nonsense based exclusively on one of his years in college.

    All it does is continue to enhance your reputation for missing the boat

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He not only said Couples would be the starter when he played him the last pre-season game he made it a point to say he was the only starter who was going to play.

    Wilkerson started and played more snaps than any other Jets D lineman his rookie year because he worked his ass off and was the best overall lineman on the team.
    I would like to see the proof where Rex said this?

    You could also spin things and say based on hindsight being 20/20 that Wilkerson was the best DL on the team in 2011. But that isn't what the plan was.

    The Jets offered Shaun Ellis the veteran minimum to come back and start at DE. He got offered 5 million by the Patsies because he KILLED them in the divisional round playoff game the season prior. Obviously, Ellis went where the money was.

    But in any case, they had no better options to start at DE or else someone else would have started.

    That's what Rex does. Just about all of his young defensive draftees get passed over for veterans unless it is NECESSITY for them to start. Look at Demario Davis. Look at Kenrick Ellis. Look at Josh Bush. Look at Antonio Allen.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I would like to see the proof where Rex said this?

    You could also spin things and say based on hindsight being 20/20 that Wilkerson was the best DL on the team in 2011. But that isn't what the plan was.

    The Jets offered Shaun Ellis the veteran minimum to come back and start at DE. He got offered 5 million by the Patsies because he KILLED them in the divisional round playoff game the season prior. Obviously, Ellis went where the money was.

    But in any case, they had no better options to start at DE or else someone else would have started.

    That's what Rex does. Just about all of his young defensive draftees get passed over for veterans unless it is NECESSITY for them to start. Look at Demario Davis. Look at Kenrick Ellis. Look at Josh Bush. Look at Antonio Allen.
    They offered him vet minimum to come back and start? The Jets offered him vet minimum because they rightfully thought he was done as a starter.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    They offered him vet minimum to come back and start? The Jets offered him vet minimum because they rightfully thought he was done as a starter.
    But the team still wanted a VETERAN presence to START ahead of Wilkerson. That's why Ellis was offered a contract to return. As I've already pointed out that's what Rex does with his defensive rookies. I already named 4 examples and I'm sure there is at least one more.

    Now, it's likely that Sheldon Richardson and Dee Milliner will start due to players leaving, but that's not because Rex wouldn't like to go with a veteran first.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    But the team still wanted a VETERAN presence to START ahead of Wilkerson. That's why Ellis was offered a contract to return. As I've already pointed out that's what Rex does with his defensive rookies. I already named 4 examples and I'm sure there is at least one more.

    Now, it's likely that Sheldon Richardson and Dee Milliner will start due to players leaving, but that's not because Rex wouldn't like to go with a veteran first.
    You realize the Jets offered 37 year old Derrick Masson more money to be the No. 3 WR than the offered Ellis to start at DE. He was offered a one year vet minimum deal. He was the longest tenured Jet player on the team. If they wanted him back they would have thrown him a bone instead of making him dig it up in public.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    You realize the Jets offered 37 year old Derrick Masson more money to be the No. 3 WR than the offered Ellis to start at DE. He was offered a one year vet minimum deal. He was the longest tenured Jet player on the team. If they wanted him back they would have thrown him a bone instead of making him dig it up in public.
    And what was that? $30,000 more?! That's chump change in football terms.

    The point still remains...

    You said Coples needs to be "turned around". That implies you are referring to a reclamation project like Pacman Jones.

    Quinton Coples is far from that. He's not even close to that. The extent of his run-ins with the team is one episode where he whined about having to play extra downs with 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason games. That's it.

    That may be a little immature, but certainly does not precipitate the need for him to be "turned around".

    His low motor and taking plays off were accusations leveled by college scouts and media draftniks.

    It was most certainly not the case with Coples just last season. Coples shined in limited snaps.

    And it certainly isn't his fault he got less playing time. They had Mike Devito on the team who was a groomed veteran and been a starter before Coples was drafted.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us