Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson & Coples ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Two of my favorite jets, can't pass that up on a slow Wednesday morning.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Two of my favorite jets, can't pass that up on a slow Wednesday morning.
    yup ...i think they will be two of our most productive players.

Hall Of Fame
    oh...i'm hoping/praying coples wiil be able to play at olb

Hall Of Fame
    more re our D :

~ ~ Jets LB Demario Davis looks to fill shoes of Bart Scott, make his own nameFree agent wide receiver Josh Cribbs visits JetsSantonio Holmes says he thinks Mark Sanchez is the starting QB Geno Smith scores big in Football Outsiders analytical projectionTim Tebow is all Jacksonville Jaguars fans want, as big-time lawyer's TV ad joins uprisingAll Stories | Demario Davis sits quietly at the far corner of the locker room, where, on a good day, he can remain distant from the noise, the cameras and the clutter that often permeates his personal space.

Rex Ryan once compared his first impressions of Davis to that of Ravens legend Ray Lewis, a player with a signature dance, the pull of a preacher and the knockout glare underneath his helmet.He is also asking him to replace the equally clamorous Bart Scott, whose bravado has roamed the Jets locker room every season Ryan has been head coach.But Davis, now in his second season with the Jets, prefers to operate under the radar. He speaks softly, reserving most of his conversation for Twitter, where he regularly updates his timeline with inspirational and religious messages. He doesn’t feel the need to shout, stomp or holler during the early spring workouts to announce his presence.

“I don’t feel like I have to overexert myself,” Davis said. “I have a locker room full of guys that respect me because they know I respect them. To get respect you have to give it,and I think the guys respect me for who I am.” For a player drawing comparisons to Lewis and replacing Scott it sounds like a departure from the stereotypical mentality of an inside linebacker. But Davis, who will slide into Scott’s spot alongside veteran David Harris, is looking forward to the chance to put his own mark on the position.“We’re two different guys,” Davis said of himself and Scott. “I took a lot of things from him, his approach to the game, the way he played the game – he was very physical. Very high energy. Some of the things he taught me I’ll never forget.”

After making his mark as a linebacker in sub packages last year, playing a total of 315 snaps, Davis will be asked to undertake a much larger role in 2013. Scott, who missed a game due to injury and was removed on many passing downs, played almost double.“I’ve been asked to do different things throughout my career, so stepping up and taking that load will be absolutely no problem,” Davis said. “It’s definitely a bigger responsibility stepping up to not only be a force on the defense but to be a leader on the defense.

“Taking hold of this thing is something I’m looking forward to.”

The inside linebacker position is more natural to Davis, he says, and one he began perfecting this offseason with the aid of Harris. The two began texting shortly after the season ended and have developed an on-field competition during workouts.

Davis hopes to absorb Harris’ instinct and institutional knowledge while pushing him physically.“He challenges me more in the mental portion,” Davis said. “I try and challenge him more in the physical portion, making sure he’s keeping his wheels going, keeping his speed up and making sure he’s agile. It’s a give-give situation.”From his locker, he has a clear view of the spot vacated by Scott. He’s also a few lockers away from Bryan Thomas, who will more than likely not return. Outside of Calvin Pace and Harris, the linebacker core that has been intact for the past four seasons is gone.But Davis, an agent of change, doesn’t see that as a bad thing.

“It’s a new feel but it’s a bunch of young guys who can work together,” Davis said. “It’s a brotherhood; we have an opportunity to grow together.”

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._looks_to.html

The secret about Wilkerson is pretty much out now. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 14th best NFL player based solely on 2012 stats.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...2012-20-to-11/

14. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets (Unranked)

It’s easy to get lost in the shadow of players used in a similar fashion, and that was certainly the case for Wilkerson this year. Of course playing for the Jets and the circus that followed didn’t help either, but for those in the know he was something special this year. Finishing second in our 3-4 defensive end rankings, Wilkerson was an impact player in the run game and supported that by adding an extremely healthy 37 quarterback disruptions.

Best Performance: Week 11 at St Louis, +7.4

Key Stat: His 46 defensive stops in the run game were the second-most of any 3-4 defensive end.

its funny how people thought he'd be a bust after like 3-4 games into his rookie season. those idiots didnt understand that it takes years for a 3-4 lineman to develope. watt wasnt even a good player in his rookie season. i mean he was solid but look at the jump he made in year 2. wilk did the same. looking forward to year 3, he might close the gap to watt if watt doesnt put up the same sick numbers again, which i dont think he will. plus with coples on the other side and ellis inside they wont pay as much attention on wilk like they did last season with ****ty pouha and devito next to him

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    The secret about Wilkerson is pretty much out now. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 14th best NFL player based solely on 2012 stats.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...2012-20-to-11/

14. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets (Unranked)

It’s easy to get lost in the shadow of players used in a similar fashion, and that was certainly the case for Wilkerson this year. Of course playing for the Jets and the circus that followed didn’t help either, but for those in the know he was something special this year. Finishing second in our 3-4 defensive end rankings, Wilkerson was an impact player in the run game and supported that by adding an extremely healthy 37 quarterback disruptions.

Best Performance: Week 11 at St Louis, +7.4

Key Stat: His 46 defensive stops in the run game were the second-most of any 3-4 defensive end.
    " ...Key Stat: His 46 defensive stops in the run game were the second-most of any 3-4 defensive end. "

~ ~ cool ! !

Hall Of Fame
    Since the Jets' highly-publicized whiff on Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker Vernon Gholston -- the No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft -- the team has hit on a pair of defensive linemen/ends but has yet to develop a steady pass rush.

There has been much ado about moving Quinton Coples to outside linebacker this offseason, moving him out of his natural position, but defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman isn't worried about Gholston revisited."No, I don't think so," Thurman said. "We're a multiple defense with multiple fronts. Q will have his hand in the dirt, he'll also stand up. He'll be a hybrid and we wouldn't do it if we didn't feel like Quinton didn't have the ability to handle it."Thurman stressed that the move will give the Jets more flexibility, one of the main reasons for the move. Coples, for his part, is working on tackling in space and pass coverage to prepare.

"For us, are we going to be a 3-4 team or a 4-3 team? We can be both, so we're not really concerned about it," Thurman said. "We just need Q to play at a high level and we think that he will."

A few months back, Thurman said that Josh Bush and Antonio Allen may not be ready for a full-time starting role. His opinion seems to have changed since then.When asked about who will start alongside Dawan Landry, Thurman listed both as potential candidates."We have Antonio Allen, the kid we drafted out of South Carolina last year, will be in competition with Josh Bush, who we also drafted a year ago and we picked up a free agent, Jaiquawn Jarrett, from Philadelphia who we liked coming out of Temple two years ago. So, it's going to be a pretty intense battle ... they're not lacking in ability, they're lacking as far as experience is concerned."

Dee Milliner will compete for a job as a Week 1 starter, Thurman said. This will depend on a lot of things, of course, especially Milliner's health. He expects to be ready for training camp.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...vernon_gh.html

I think Couples development is going to make or break Rex Ryan. If he busts because of his lack of personal discipline it will reflect badly on Rex's ability to develop a talented player and put him in a position to succeed. If Couples can be turned around this D could be very good for a long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I think Couples development is going to make or break Rex Ryan. If he busts because of his lack of personal discipline it will reflect badly on Rex's ability to develop a talented player and put him in a position to succeed. If Couples can be turned around this D could be very good for a long time.
    agreed...if we do not do well THIS season....i'm pretty sure rex will be gone

Hall Of Fame
    fyi...

TL to Feature Coples and Smith

“Jets Talk LIVE” returns to its traditional time slot of 3:00 p.m. on Thursday as both DE/OLB Quinton Coplesand TE Hayden Smith join me in-studio. We will also take a look at some highlights from our Town Hall attended by season ticket holders as GM John Idzik and head coach Rex Ryan entertained and informed with wonderful presentations.

Transition is the key word for both Coples and Smith. While Q has shifted over to outside linebacker, Hayden is in his second year playing American football. Much is expected of Coples in his sophomore campaign and it will be interesting to see how Smith fits in at tight end now after Dustin Keller’s departure in free agency.

In addition to the interviews and the Town Hall recap, you will be able to see some exclusive footage from OTAs. You can contact me on Twitter: @eallenjets as we take fan questions and comments from Jets Nation across the world.

If you have downloaded the Jets App, you’ll be able to watch the show when we are live. Fans can download the New York Jets Official App to their smartphones by texting the word JETS to 51288 or by searching “Official New York Jets” on iTunes, Android Market or Blackberry App World. Download it from your mobile device here.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...b-77cdecefa8d3

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    oh...i'm hoping/praying coples wiil be able to play at olb
    Ye with no faith in Rex?

I have to think he'll do well at OLB. Maybe not in the short term, but certainly over the long haul. Rex knows defense and I'm sure he would not have made this move with Coples if he didn't think he could do it.

Chin up, young skywalker

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Ye with no faith in Rex?

I have to think he'll do well at OLB. Maybe not in the short term, but certainly over the long haul. Rex knows defense and I'm sure he would not have made this move with Coples if he didn't think he could do it.

Chin up, young skywalker
    " . . . . Chin up, young skywalker "

~ ~ always

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    " . . . . Chin up, young skywalker "

~ ~ always

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ Jake from Baltimore writes : Quinton Coples is being moved to OLB. He is too heavy now and needs to lose a few. But aside from that, what kind of success could the Jets expect there ?

Walker :
    Coples was finally getting it late in the year. I worry that a position change will stunt his growth, but an outside rusher is what the team needs. Coples will struggle in pass coverage. It’s not natural for him to guard tight ends and slot receivers. But I expect Jets head coach Rex Ryan to use Coples’ strengths and blitz him more often than not. This is something to keep an eye on in training camp and the preseason.

rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...oliday-mailbag

All Pro
    As far as coverage i expect Coples to get beat a quite a bit this year.. But if he turns out to be what we need him to be from a pass rushing stand point . Its be well worth putting in the time of letting he develop at the other aspects of being a olb .

Mo Wilk is a beast, and i'm confident that Rexan put Coples in a position to maximise his talents.

The defensive side of the ball has rarely been too much of a problem for Ryan though - its the TD-allergic offense that holds the key to any future success.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post
    Mo Wilk is a beast, and i'm confident that Rexan put Coples in a position to maximise his talents.

The defensive side of the ball has rarely been too much of a problem for Ryan though - its the TD-allergic offense that holds the key to any future success.
    it pretty much ALL boils down to our QB dept

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    As far as coverage i expect Coples to get beat a quite a bit this year.. But if he turns out to be what we need him to be from a pass rushing stand point . Its be well worth putting in the time of letting he develop at the other aspects of being a olb .
    In terms of weighting, rushing the passer as an OLB skill is far more important IMHO than covering RB's and TE's. No one cares how Suggs can cover Gronk, justy how much and often he can bash Brady...