Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson & Coples ~ ~ ~

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And what was that? $30,000 more?! That's chump change in football terms.

The point still remains...

You said Coples needs to be "turned around". That implies you are referring to a reclamation project like Pacman Jones.

Quinton Coples is far from that. He's not even close to that. The extent of his run-ins with the team is one episode where he whined about having to play extra downs with 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason games. That's it.

That may be a little immature, but certainly does not precipitate the need for him to be "turned around".

His low motor and taking plays off were accusations leveled by college scouts and media draftniks.

It was most certainly not the case with Coples just last season. Coples shined in limited snaps.

And it certainly isn't his fault he got less playing time. They had Mike Devito on the team who was a groomed veteran and been a starter before Coples was drafted.
    You're all over the place. Pacman Jones wasn't a project he was an outright head case and a personal screw up.

I never said Coples was a bad guy. I said he takes plays off and has a low motor. Big difference. The question is does he become a big time NFL star or is he simply going to be a guy who occasional flashes? The Jets need him to step it up. He is a guy who can be a big difference maker if he's willing to be a big effort guy. So far there is nothing to indicate he is.

Shining in limited snaps isn't the goal. If Coples is going to be a big time NFL star he has to shine all the time with starter snaps. Rex knows this and his job may well be on the line over how well he can get this kid to step it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He not only said Couples would be the starter when he played him the last pre-season game he made it a point to say he was the only starter who was going to play.

Wilkerson started and played more snaps than any other Jets D lineman his rookie year because he worked his ass off and was the best overall lineman on the team.
    Would it be possible for you to at least spell his name correctly, Winton

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    You're killing it today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    But the team still wanted a VETERAN presence to START ahead of Wilkerson. That's why Ellis was offered a contract to return. As I've already pointed out that's what Rex does with his defensive rookies. I already named 4 examples and I'm sure there is at least one more.

Now, it's likely that Sheldon Richardson and Dee Milliner will start due to players leaving, but that's not because Rex wouldn't like to go with a veteran first.
    If you look at the draft picks since Rex has been here if a rookie showed in camp he could play at a Pro level he did play.. In 09 we only had 3 picks but Greene got playing time with TJ, Sanchez started but Clemens was the only other QB and he sucked and even Slauson got playing time .. In 2010 we only had 4 picks and Wilson as the first rd pick didn't light it up plus Vlad,Conner and your favorite McKnight didn't show much either..In 2012 Mo started as a rookie, Ellis had his legal problems and was injured but Kerley got some playing time and the other 2 picks were 7th rder's Greg McElroy and Scotty McKnight.

Last year Coples got more playing time as he learned the system as did Hill till he got hurt and Davis saw time as the season went on.. You can't blame Rex for not giving 5th through 7th rd picks starting jobs when they haven't shown that they are ready to go.. This year is the first year of Rex's tenure that we have all our picks except for the 4th for Ivory but since we had 2 1st picks it's no big deal.. As a matter of fact the Jets let Shaun Ellis go and replaced him with rookie Big Mo so I guess you could say he replaced a solid Vet with a rookie.. If you want to see a HC that hated to play rookies look no further then Bill Parcells..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're all over the place. Pacman Jones wasn't a project he was an outright head case and a personal screw up.

I never said Coples was a bad guy. I said he takes plays off and has a low motor. Big difference. The question is does he become a big time NFL star or is he simply going to be a guy who occasional flashes? The Jets need him to step it up. He is a guy who can be a big difference maker if he's willing to be a big effort guy. So far there is nothing to indicate he is.

Shining in limited snaps isn't the goal. If Coples is going to be a big time NFL star he has to shine all the time with starter snaps. Rex knows this and his job may well be on the line over how well he can get this kid to step it up.

No, I am not all over the place. You are all over the place trying to defend your stance. It's wrong.

Coples was NOT a starter. You also say he has a low motor and takes plays off. HTF would you know that? He played in limited snaps last season and showed true ability. But certainly not enough to confirm what scouts and media draftniks claimed. Which is where I think you got this cockamamy thought to begin with.

And of course they need him to step it up going into his 2nd season. That goes without saying.

But he does not need to be turned around. That would imply someone's career is going in completely the opposite direction. Like in the case of Vernon Gholston or someone like that. That's ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If you look at the draft picks since Rex has been here if a rookie showed in camp he could play at a Pro level he did play.. In 09 we only had 3 picks but Greene got playing time with TJ, Sanchez started but Clemens was the only other QB and he sucked and even Slauson got playing time .. In 2010 we only had 4 picks and Wilson as the first rd pick didn't light it up plus Vlad,Conner and your favorite McKnight didn't show much either..In 2012 Mo started as a rookie, Ellis had his legal problems and was injured but Kerley got some playing time and the other 2 picks were 7th rder's Greg McElroy and Scotty McKnight.

Last year Coples got more playing time as he learned the system as did Hill till he got hurt and Davis saw time as the season went on.. You can't blame Rex for not giving 5th through 7th rd picks starting jobs when they haven't shown that they are ready to go.. This year is the first year of Rex's tenure that we have all our picks except for the 4th for Ivory but since we had 2 1st picks it's no big deal.. As a matter of fact the Jets let Shaun Ellis go and replaced him with rookie Big Mo so I guess you could say he replaced a solid Vet with a rookie.. If you want to see a HC that hated to play rookies look no further then Bill Parcells..
    But that hasn't been the case when it comes to defensive rookies under Rex Ryan. Kyle Wilson, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, pretty much ALL of Rex's defensive draftees with the exception of Wilk.

Biggs is saying that Wilk outworked all the rest of the defensive rookies. I do not believe that is true. I believe Rex prefers veterans over rookies. The pattern shows that.

Not saying I necessarily agree with it. I believe Wilk was a logical solution to a hole created by Shaun Ellis leaving. I also believe that a lot of the reason why he's playing so well now is because he got more exposure than other rookies. But it isn't because he simply outworked the other guys. All of the defensive draftees have worked just as hard as Wilk.

He's also saying that Coples needs to be turned around as though he's some sort of failure as a rookie. Far from it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But that hasn't been the case when it comes to defensive rookies under Rex Ryan. Kyle Wilson, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, pretty much ALL of Rex's defensive draftees with the exception of Wilk.

Biggs is saying that Wilk outworked all the rest of the defensive rookies. I do not believe that is true. I believe Rex prefers veterans over rookies. The pattern shows that.

Not saying I necessarily agree with it. I believe Wilk was a logical solution to a hole created by Shaun Ellis leaving. I also believe that a lot of the reason why he's playing so well now is because he got more exposure than other rookies. But it isn't because he simply outworked the other guys. All of the defensive draftees have worked just as hard as Wilk.

He's also saying that Coples needs to be turned around as though he's some sort of failure as a rookie. Far from it.
    Wilkerson outworked virtually every college Defensive lineman to become a first round pick out of Temple. One of his pluses as a prospect was that he didn't wear down and gave maximum effort. He clearly is one of if not the hardest working players on the Jets.

The guy is a model for how you want a player to carry himself and improve himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson outworked virtually every college Defensive lineman to become a first round pick out of Temple. One of his pluses as a prospect was that he didn't wear down and gave maximum effort. He clearly is one of if not the hardest working players on the Jets.

The guy is a model for how you want a player to carry himself and improve himself.
    All true and good. Mo is an excellent young player. What does this have to do, though with your hating Coples (NO U) who is also an excellent young player?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All true and good. Mo is an excellent young player. What does this have to do, though with your hating Coples (NO U) who is also an excellent young player?
    What does my liking Wilkerson have to do with you blowing Couples?
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-04-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your spelling improvement.

Next we'll try and work on logic

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does my liking Wilkerson have to do with you blowing Couples?
    Can you show the plays that he took off? Or are you just repeating what Someone else said?

Sounds like you have a case of new clothes for the emperor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not misspelling his name. He doesn't know what his name is. If that's not enough evidence that he has no idea what he's talking about, I don't know what is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's not misspelling his name. He doesn't know what his name is. If that's not enough evidence that he has no idea what he's talking about, I don't know what is.
    Let's review. Rex loved the kid, held him out of minicamp drills because he pissed him off, made him play the last preseason game when he was going to be the starter and didn't start him. This offseason he has already called him out publicly.

This is a great talent who underperformed his talent because he doesn't work hard. This guy would have been a top 5 pick if he moved his ass. I'm a Jets fan I hope he bust his ass and becomes what he is capable of being. sg3 finally got his lips so far up Sanchez's ass his head came out the other end and he needs a new place to start. This was my present to him. What's your excuse?
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hope that maybe someday we'll know as much as Winstonbiggs about the Jets players and who is a true worker and who isn't.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hope that maybe someday we'll know as much as Winstonbiggs about the Jets players and who is a true worker and who isn't.
    Highly unlikely but I applaud the effort.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

sg3 finally got his lips so far up Sanchez's ass his head came out the other end and he needs a new place to start. This was my present to him. What's your excuse?

More personal attacks and namecalling, I see. I guess it's easier than staying on topic

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

He was very raw and a gamble that certainly paid off.. He was 3 picks away from falling out of 1st round, yet if I was bored I'd go look at the list of D players picked ahead of him that he is clearly better than.. Coples did very well for a rook in the time he played.. How people can attack him is quite amusing. He is very strong and athletic for his size.. Rex is calling him out for obvious strategy, to get him to play with a chip on his shoulder and for him to play with fire.. Because its the jets people will unfairly get on coples even before he plays a full season.. Parcels did this all the time with giant players and jets.. Was Curtis Martin a guy who didnt hussle? The opposite, yet parcells still motivated him before season of him winning the rushing title in 99.. Martin left the award on parcells desk for his thanks in motivating him.. Best story I heard was when Bryan cox said parcells told him in practice " looks like your running out of gas" cox said after practice there was a empty gas can in front of his locker lol. Parcells had that respect to motivate, and Rex also appears to command that respect.. The team doesn't blame Rex for having to endure the worst qb in the league, as long as team plays hard for Rex he will be here.. Eagles gave up on Andy Reid, that's why he had to move on..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    More personal attacks and namecalling, I see. I guess it's easier than staying on topic
    I'm all for tit for tat. You can't just claim the low ground for yourself without a fight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    He was very raw and a gamble that certainly paid off.. He was 3 picks away from falling out of 1st round, yet if I was bored I'd go look at the list of D players picked ahead of him that he is clearly better than.. Coples did very well for a rook in the time he played.. How people can attack him is quite amusing. He is very strong and athletic for his size.. Rex is calling him out for obvious strategy, to get him to play with a chip on his shoulder and for him to play with fire.. Because its the jets people will unfairly get on coples even before he plays a full season.. Parcels did this all the time with giant players and jets.. Was Curtis Martin a guy who didnt hussle? The opposite, yet parcells still motivated him before season of him winning the rushing title in 99.. Martin left the award on parcells desk for his thanks in motivating him.. Best story I heard was when Bryan cox said parcells told him in practice " looks like your running out of gas" cox said after practice there was a empty gas can in front of his locker lol. Parcells had that respect to motivate, and Rex also appears to command that respect.. The team doesn't blame Rex for having to endure the worst qb in the league, as long as team plays hard for Rex he will be here.. Eagles gave up on Andy Reid, that's why he had to move on..
    Exactly and Rex has got to get this guy to play to his potential. Comparing Copless work ethic to Martin is laughable. Wilkerson yes Coplees no. Rex is very much tied to him and needs him to consistently produce not be a guy who can only play situational football. Copples coming out had far more talent than Wilkerson and far less head. Wilkerson worked his way into the first round. Couples worked his way out of the top 10.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly and Rex has got to get this guy to play to his potential. Comparing Copless work ethic to Martin is laughable. Wilkerson yes Coplees no. Rex is very much tied to him and needs him to consistently produce not be a guy who can only play situational football. Copples coming out had far more talent than Wilkerson and far less head. Wilkerson worked his way into the first round. Couples worked his way out of the top 10.
    Lol ofcourse I'm not comparing coples work ethic to Martin.. My point is its people are overreacting thinking coples isn't motivated just because they are hearing Rex call him out.. Martin had a tremendous work ethic and parcells still called him out.. There is always a extra level a player can get to with motivatation.. Martin admitted that himself that he owed parcells a lot for getting on him.. Coples played 1 yr, Rex did not throw him to the wolves right of the bat.. He let the kid learn in practices and eased him into more playing time as season went on.. People who think he didnt play early because he want given effort just have no clue.. It's rare for a rookie to step in right away and awesome, especially on D.. Luckily for us the gossip rumor did effect coples dropping some.. Like it did geno.. There are so many very good players to pick early that teams will just pass on guys who had the slightest report of anything negative.. Coples is not going to have a problem being motivated with Rex, had he gone to a less D minded coach maybe but won't happen with Rex.. But lets see the kid play a year or two before we judge? Pierre Paul didnt have a very good sophomore year, was his motor off? Or just still learning the game?