Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: 2013 Jets (Projected) Starting Front Seven Discussion

  1. #21
    Younger and faster.

    Nothing to hate. Just hope Coples can make the transition.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I expect an average unit against the run with the best pass rush the Jets have had in a decade. I also think this unit will be better against the pass, mostly because Davis is a huge upgrade over Scott in that dept. but I expect a ton of tipped balls from Mo, Coples, and Sheldon.
    JMo I think you have it backwards. I think Jets will improve against the run. A Garay was a big addition( if he can stay healthy) jets have massive size in their front seven ( especially with Coples at Olb). I see Wilkerson and Richardson at De with Garay at NT .


    What defensive lineman the Jets have you say will be a 10 plus sack guy. The Jets don't have one. That is one of many reason why jets will struggle against the pass in 2013 and be much better defending the run. The Jets don't really have a Lb that excels in pass coverage. IF Coples isn't going to get coverage responsibility than that falls on A Barnes. Barnes strength isn't in coverage either.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I think we should've kept Pouha over Garay, he knows the system and is a proven run stopper.

    Also wondering how Coples adjustment to OLB will go. I can't remember an outside rusher with his size and build, except maybe Peppers. And can Coples set the edge on outside running plays?

    Looking at the players we have there, we've really sunk a ton of resources into the front 7, hopefully we will see results this season.
    Garay if healthy is better than Pouha . I was hoping the Raiders would bring him in as temporary fix. Garay can be a real force in the middle and if Ellis can relieve him that should serve the Jets well. ( keep Garay fresh) jets run defense should be much better with him clogging up the middle.
    http://youtu.be/2c876Sg8taE
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.

  4. #24
    DE -- Wilkerson
    NT -- Ellis & Garay
    DE -- Richardson

    OLB -- Barnes/Pace
    ILB -- Harris
    ILB -- Davis
    OLB -- Coples
    This has nothing to do with being better against the run or pass. IMO, the Jets are exchanging a more veteran, less prone to mistake D for a younger, faster D that will make some mistakes but that is far more capable of making the type of game changing plays every team needs. There will be several guys on the field who are capable of simply beating the blocking scheme and blowing up the play. How many of those types of guys did the Jets have last season?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This has nothing to do with being better against the run or pass. IMO, the Jets are exchanging a more veteran, less prone to mistake D for a younger, faster D that will make some mistakes but that is far more capable of making the type of game changing plays every team needs. There will be several guys on the field who are capable of simply beating the blocking scheme and blowing up the play. How many of those types of guys did the Jets have last season?
    Exactly. Well said.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    By most accounts, this is the going to be the opening day Front 7 for our New York Jets. Only the Davis position may be questionable, and then only if someone better shakes loose before camp.

    How do we feel about this unit, vs. the run? vs. the pass? Creating pressure? Turnovers?

    Wilkerson appears to be a developing potential star at one end position, doing quite well at times despite almost constant double-deams.

    Ellis has been something of a dissapointment on the field thus far, albeit a dissapointment the front office clearly thinksis ready to step into a starting role (if not, you do not let both Devito and Pouha go so easily).

    Garay is something of an avergae player, not much to really say. I'm not that familiar with his resume, but it seems somewhat average.

    Richardson at the other DE (or DT when Coples plays on the line in the 4-3) is supposed a talent in the pass rush game, but potentially a weakness at the NFL level (to start) vs. the run.

    Barnes is a pretty solid LB, probably a step-up vs. Bryan Thomas. Pace is Pace, old, but at least he's now cheap. Perhaps a soldi fill-in to generate some extra pass rush.

    Harris is a pretty good ILB, one of the better on his good days, but he has days where he seems to dissapear. Makes alot of tackles, but has never been much of a pass rush threat and is questionable in coverage.

    Davis is somethign of an unknown, a younger player we've not seen in a starting role. Has alot of fans (as all backups do) amongst the fans, but is unproven.

    Coples is moved from DE to OLB (with some likely DE style lineups). He clearly has alot of talent and potential, but like many on this unit, it's all an unknown right now.

    Overall, we appear to have a young unit full of kids with upside and potential, but darm little real productivity yet. The front 3 (4) are all top end draft picks or recent vintage, and appear to be a little hit or miss thus far (Ellis a miss, Wilk a hit, Coples a tbd). The linebacker group appears to be a weakness, but the Ryan system has somewhat adequately overcome similar weaknesses int he past few years, to varying degrees. Harris is the only standout in the group going into opening day.

    With that said, the unit as a whole got much younger, faster, andhopefully hungrier. Unit speed is considerably improved, and the hope being that increased speed can and new talents can finally generate some system-based pass rush potential.

    We still lack anything like a clear-cut pass rush stud, and interesting omission that has existed throughout the Rex Ryan era. Pass defense vs. the growing trend of Backetball playign TE's and RGII-styles running QB's could be better, again due to more unti speed and (hopefully) disruptiveness, but that will be countered by a rather large lack of experience and unit cohesiveness, especially early on.

    This group appears to be one building towards the longer term, at the expense of today, with the hope that both Wilkerson and Coples develop into valid outside threats, and Richardson can become a moden inside rush threat of a type less common now-a-days (technique and speed over bulk and force). The unit will very likely suffer early in 2013, hopefully growing better each week as things start to settle out.

    I'd expect at least one LB to be either a string FA aquisition ro draft pick in 2014, to contineu the youth movement and speed/rush potential going into that season, probably at the expense of Pace (surely gone) and/or Barnes.

    Thoughts?
    The unit looks to be solid as a pass rushing unit, Rex has always been aggressive going forward

    Wilkenson is supposed to draw doubles, it is the nature of a 3-4 DE

    If healthy Garay is going to have jet fans feeling pleased. Ellis to me is wildly inconsistant, some times he looks solid and and other time he looks like he gets pushed around a lot easier than what you expect out of a 340lb guy.

    Richardson is a rookie, and never played in a 3 man front, although he played inside at Missouri so the pounding should not be an issue, I wish he would have ran the shuttle and cone so I would have an idea on his ability go wide and chase. At the 3 all you can see is him rushing straight.

    Barnes is a pass rusher, you will not be happy with him setting the edge. if he could play the run he would have been a 5mill a year player not 1.5Mill.

    No one has any idea how Coples will play in space, but again when going forward with Barnes on the other side, on 3rd downs the jets will be effective.

    There is nothing questionable about Harris in coverage, he can't do it.

    Pace will be there on run downs, not as a pass rusher- what makes you think that. Coples and Barnes will play going forward.

    Davis should see an improvement in his play especially against the pass as he will be more familiar with routes

    I like the jets D rushing the qb, but I don't like the run D at all,

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    DE -- Wilkerson
    NT -- Ellis & Garay
    DE -- Richardson
    Richardson is not a 3-4 DE. He is way undersized. I seriously hope the Jets didn't spend a top 15 pick on a guy to then not play to his strengths.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    I like Clowney a lot haven't seen the Louisville kid play yet.
    Tore up my Gators in the Sugar Bowl. And that was one of the best defenses we've had in awhile.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Richardson is not a 3-4 DE. He is way undersized. I seriously hope the Jets didn't spend a top 15 pick on a guy to then not play to his strengths.
    I assume you mean height?? He's a inch smaller then MO??

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    By most accounts, this is the going to be the opening day Front 7 for our New York Jets. Only the Davis position may be questionable, and then only if someone better shakes loose before camp.

    How do we feel about this unit, vs. the run? vs. the pass? Creating pressure? Turnovers?

    Wilkerson appears to be a developing potential star at one end position, doing quite well at times despite almost constant double-deams.

    Ellis has been something of a dissapointment on the field thus far, albeit a dissapointment the front office clearly thinksis ready to step into a starting role (if not, you do not let both Devito and Pouha go so easily).

    Garay is something of an avergae player, not much to really say. I'm not that familiar with his resume, but it seems somewhat average.

    Richardson at the other DE (or DT when Coples plays on the line in the 4-3) is supposed a talent in the pass rush game, but potentially a weakness at the NFL level (to start) vs. the run.

    Barnes is a pretty solid LB, probably a step-up vs. Bryan Thomas. Pace is Pace, old, but at least he's now cheap. Perhaps a soldi fill-in to generate some extra pass rush.

    Harris is a pretty good ILB, one of the better on his good days, but he has days where he seems to dissapear. Makes alot of tackles, but has never been much of a pass rush threat and is questionable in coverage.

    Davis is somethign of an unknown, a younger player we've not seen in a starting role. Has alot of fans (as all backups do) amongst the fans, but is unproven.

    Coples is moved from DE to OLB (with some likely DE style lineups). He clearly has alot of talent and potential, but like many on this unit, it's all an unknown right now.

    Overall, we appear to have a young unit full of kids with upside and potential, but darm little real productivity yet. The front 3 (4) are all top end draft picks or recent vintage, and appear to be a little hit or miss thus far (Ellis a miss, Wilk a hit, Coples a tbd). The linebacker group appears to be a weakness, but the Ryan system has somewhat adequately overcome similar weaknesses int he past few years, to varying degrees. Harris is the only standout in the group going into opening day.

    With that said, the unit as a whole got much younger, faster, andhopefully hungrier. Unit speed is considerably improved, and the hope being that increased speed can and new talents can finally generate some system-based pass rush potential.

    We still lack anything like a clear-cut pass rush stud, and interesting omission that has existed throughout the Rex Ryan era. Pass defense vs. the growing trend of Backetball playign TE's and RGII-styles running QB's could be better, again due to more unti speed and (hopefully) disruptiveness, but that will be countered by a rather large lack of experience and unit cohesiveness, especially early on.

    This group appears to be one building towards the longer term, at the expense of today, with the hope that both Wilkerson and Coples develop into valid outside threats, and Richardson can become a moden inside rush threat of a type less common now-a-days (technique and speed over bulk and force). The unit will very likely suffer early in 2013, hopefully growing better each week as things start to settle out.

    I'd expect at least one LB to be either a string FA aquisition ro draft pick in 2014, to contineu the youth movement and speed/rush potential going into that season, probably at the expense of Pace (surely gone) and/or Barnes.

    Thoughts?
    The unit looks to be solid as a pass rushing unit, Rex has always been aggressive going forward

    Wilkenson is supposed to draw doubles, it is the nature of a 3-4 DE

    If healthy Garay is going to have jet fans feeling pleased. Ellis to me is wildly inconsistant, some times he looks solid and and other time he looks like he gets pushed around a lot easier than what you expect out of a 340lb guy.

    Richardson is a rookie, and never played in a 3 man front, although he played inside at Missouri so the pounding should not be an issue, I wish he would have ran the shuttle and cone so I would have an idea on his ability go wide and chase. At the 3 all you can see is him rushing straight.

    Barnes is a pass rusher, you will not be happy with him setting the edge. if he could play the run he would have been a 5mill a year player not 1.5Mill.

    No one has any idea how Coples will play in space, but again when going forward with Barnes on the other side, on 3rd downs the jets will be effective.

    There is nothing questionable about Harris in coverage, he can't do it.

    Pace will be there on run downs, not as a pass rusher- what makes you think that. Coples and Barnes will play going forward.

    Davis should see an improvement in his play especially against the pass as he will be more familiar with routes

    I like the jets D rushing the qb, but I don't like the run D at all,

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,546
    This is a great break down of the Jets D scheme.. I would post the whole article but it's to long with picture diagrams..

    http://turnonthejets.com/2013/05/new...ng/#more-14457

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    This is a great break down of the Jets D scheme.. I would post the whole article but it's to long with picture diagrams..

    http://turnonthejets.com/2013/05/new...ng/#more-14457
    This site is great. Really informative, interesting articles.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I think we should've kept Pouha over Garay, he knows the system and is a proven run stopper.

    Also wondering how Coples adjustment to OLB will go. I can't remember an outside rusher with his size and build, except maybe Peppers. And can Coples set the edge on outside running plays?

    Looking at the players we have there, we've really sunk a ton of resources into the front 7, hopefully we will see results this season.
    Pouha's back appears to be shot - there's a reason no team has signed him yet.

    I think this lineup is a much better fit for Harris, who can shift to the Bart Scott role - thumper, taking on (and blowing up) blockers and playing downhill. He was miscast as the cleanup backer, since he doesn't have the pure speed to take advantage of any cracks created by the thumper.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Pouha's back appears to be shot - there's a reason no team has signed him yet.

    I think this lineup is a much better fit for Harris, who can shift to the Bart Scott role - thumper, taking on (and blowing up) blockers and playing downhill. He was miscast as the cleanup backer, since he doesn't have the pure speed to take advantage of any cracks created by the thumper.
    It's a pity that Pouha never got over his back injury, when healthy he really makes his impact at the LOS moreso than Garay who is better on passing downs but isn't as tough against the run.

    Harris will have a much easier role because Wilks and Richardson will be attracting double teams up front. Coples and Davis will also command a lot of attention due to their explosiveness and superior size/speed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us