Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jets Kicking Tires on Spare Parts at WR Position

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    1. Lloyd
    2. Barden
    3. A dead corpse - which has close to the same # of production in the last 2 years of ..
    4. Edwards
    Hahaha.

I couldn't see the Pats signing Holmes if the Jets cut him because of his off-the-field issues (Ochocinco, Moss, etc.). However, I don't know how many teams would be that eager to sign him after his injury- we've seen what happens when formerly high-paid players get injured and/or cut for behavioral reasons and act like they deserve another lucrative contract- they voice their desire to play for teams via Twitter and more teams choose to pass on them (ex. Plaxico Burress).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's a "Sportige writer?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What's his scouting report?
    Depends on whose scouting report you're looking for. Here's what i see if that means anything.

Positives: Quick and elusive more than fast, with excellent hands. Will go after the football with little regard for his well being but dispite his smallish stature can take a hit. Offers specials teams ability as a returner

Negatives : Small in stature and not a burner. Offers nothing much on the outside and could struggle against press man coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgKGS_oTNs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I wonder what Giant Fans thought of Victor Cruz the summer before he blew up all over the NFL. As a matter of fact, i wonder what the Giants FO thought of Victor Cruz that same summer before all their WRs got hurt and they were forced to keep this guy on the roster and actually play him.

The NYJets have a sleeper WR on the roster and his name is Royce Pollard.
    LOL - uh, no. Giant fans were impressed with Victor Cruz literally from the minute he stepped on the field. The dude caught three TD passes (two of them long bombs) in less than 30 minutes of football, against our Jets in the first preseason game of '10.

I can promise you that Giant fans thought a hell of a lot more of Cruz than Jets fans think (or should think) of Royce Pollard. Not saying Pollard can't develop, but to mention him in the same breath as Cruz is a little crazy.

To the thread - being honest, any of the three is a step up from anybody other than the top 3 WRs currently on the roster, so any depth here is good depth. All 3 could probably be cut in camp with no impact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    LLOYD!! Bring on the merc!!!

Him and Edwards would officially make me totally bonered about the 2013 season. I'm already excited about all this new young talent, would love to have those veteran soldiers on board.
    I liked Lloyd's production on NE and wouldn't mind having him back. But suggesting that he is some kind of warrior is borderline ridiculous. Apart from maybe Deion Sanders, I don't think I've seen another NFL player avoid contact as willfully as Lloyd.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    just sign the beard already

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id take Edwards bc of the red zone threat.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of off topic, but Brandon Coleman, who may be available in the draft next year, reminds me of a young Braylon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I liked Lloyd's production on NE and wouldn't mind having him back. But suggesting that he is some kind of warrior is borderline ridiculous. Apart from maybe Deion Sanders, I don't think I've seen another NFL player avoid contact as willfully as Lloyd.
    Sorry padre - my man crush on Lloyd pre-dates your fairy days. I've had an unhealthy attraction to his acrobatics since the beggining. Right or wrong - i don't care. I would happily support a contract for Lloyd simply to get one of these Highlights in Green and White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31BRc3RgyE

ps. Obviously the beard's coming back... he better be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No idea of Barden's talents but perhaps he can be a WR/TE hybrid and potentially developed into a F/T TE in the future.

Edit:

Blocking Ability: Barden seems to enjoy this role, another reason he might be better suited bulking up to play tight end or H-Back. He works down the line with good urgency and is aggressive using his hands to sustain a lineman at the point of attack. He also shows good angle concept to cut block in the second level. He can dominate vs. secondary players and works hard to finish. He has the short-area quickness to mirror the defender and does a nice job of searching out the linebackers at the second level. He is very effective at shading and controlling the defender, taking a very physical attitude blocking for the ground game. GRADE: 6.8

Compares To: SHANNON SHARPE, ex-Denver -- Every time you see Barden with the ball in his hands, it reminds of a tall, skinny kid out of Savannah State. While scouts are concerned about the lack of competition he faced, you can't coach size and Barden has that in abundance. He is a willing blocker, a good trait to have if a team moves him to H-Back or tight end. He's not seen as a Brandon Marshall-type of big receiver because of adequate speed and he's better on slants, screens and controlled routes rather than threatening the deep secondary.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...orical/1246159

Summary says he's better on slants, screens, controlled routes which sounds like an excellent fit for a WCO.
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    we are going to be a running team. If so, Braylon is the guy! Not one of the other receivers blocks nearly as well as he does. He can be awesome in the run game with ferocious blocks. He still can go get the ball too.
    I agree with that, take Braylon, but if the Jets have the space to sign two guys they should do that too.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Braylon. I love the guy's game. What can I say.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign them all including Cribbs, cost nothing to cut in camp

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    1. Lloyd
    2. Barden
    3. A dead corpse - which has close to the same # of production in the last 2 years of ..
    4. Edwards
    Edwards did put up similar numbers to Barden in 2012 (a few more catches, a few less yards) and better numbers in 2011.

Neither had so much as 20 catches each of the last 2 seasons, I don't really understand why the Jets didn't try harder for Dominick Hixon. He ended up signing a deal for just overaround $1M, and at least he's shown something (and been relatively healthy) last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that the preseason is coming up - does anyone know if Clowney is available????

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would take a flier on Lloyd. Guy can still play, there were so many other weapons in NE that he got overlooked.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini:

The Jets need an experienced receiver, and they've held discussions with former Giant Ramses Barden, according to a source. GM John Idzik also hinted recently they could be interested in re-signing Braylon Edwards. There also have been rumors about possible interest in Brandon Lloyd, most recently with the Patriots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Braylon Edwards please.

Idzik you are quietly having the best off-season of any NFL GM. Top it off by signing Edwards for the vet minimum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Edwards did put up similar numbers to Barden in 2012 (a few more catches, a few less yards) and better numbers in 2011.

Neither had so much as 20 catches each of the last 2 seasons, I don't really understand why the Jets didn't try harder for Dominick Hixon. He ended up signing a deal for just overaround $1M, and at least he's shown something (and been relatively healthy) last year.
    Barden looked good last season whenever he got a chance (which was whenever Nicks was out with an injury). I think he's one of those WRs who needed a alot of time to learn how to play at the NFL level but now he's starting to get it. He's absolutely worth a one year deal and probably the only viable alternative to Braylon Edwards.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Sorry padre - my man crush on Lloyd pre-dates your fairy days. I've had an unhealthy attraction to his acrobatics since the beggining. Right or wrong - i don't care. I would happily support a contract for Lloyd simply to get one of these Highlights in Green and White.

ps. Obviously the beard's coming back... he better be.
    Agreed - he'd better be. I've always had an 'unhealthy attraction' to Braylon and it gives me and my crush something to watch even if the Jets aren't playing well.

Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-08-2013 at 10:29 PM.