Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Kicking Tires on Spare Parts at WR Position

Jets Kicking Tires on Spare Parts at WR Position

According to different sources, former Jets WR Braylon Edwards, former receiver Brandon Lloyd and former New York Giants wideout Ramses Barden have all been in contact with Jets brass discussing a role in Gotham.

Sportige writer Ehud Riven, in separate reports, said the team has not only expressed interest in but has also already had dialogue with both Edwards and Lloyd. Both would provide experience at one of the Jets' weakest positions and, thanks to a lack of interest from other teams, would likely come at relatively cheap prices.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/york-je...200800019.html

Avoid Lloyd.

COMMENTARY | The New York Jets picked up a couple of interesting pieces in last month's NFL draft. One area of need overlooked, however, was the wide receiver position. Now, according to multiple reports, the Jets are looking to bring in at least one veteran wideout at a team-friendly price.

According to different sources, former Jets WR Braylon Edwards, former New England Patriots receiver Brandon Lloyd and former New York Giants wideout Ramses Barden have all been in contact with Jets brass discussing a role in Gotham.

Sportige writer Ehud Riven, in separate reports, said the team has not only expressed interest in but has also already had dialogue with both Edwards and Lloyd. Both would provide experience at one of the Jets' weakest positions and, thanks to a lack of interest from other teams, would likely come at relatively cheap prices.

Edwards, whom the Jets picked up off waivers at the end of the 2012 campaign, would also bring experience within the Jets' system -- one where he had moderate success from 2009-2010, catching 88 passes for over 1,400 yards and 11 touchdowns. While those totals would be one average season for, say, Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, they were decent statistics for an offense that was led by first-time starter Mark Sanchez and a run-heavy offense.

A Lloyd signing would be a slight "gotcha" at bitter rival New England, which released the wide receiver after a solid season as he nearly posted a 1,000-yard season despite being the third or fourth option in the passing game.

Besides those two names, USA Today's Mike Garafolo tweeted that the Jets have also been in touch with Barden, a former third-round pick by the Giants who never seemed to catch on despite amazing physical tools (6 feet 7 inches tall, 4.6 speed). Barden, who like Edwards and Lloyd hasn't garnered much attention on the free-agent front, could be a third or fourth receiver and fill a void in the short passing game left when tight end Dustin Keller departed via free agency.

No matter whom the Jets bring in at wide receiver, an upgrade is needed. With Santonio Holmes sidelined most of the year, Jeremy Kerley led Gang Green with 56 receptions. No other Jet had more than 29 catches.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll take Barden.

I'LL take 2 out of the 3.

If there is room.

They are saying Holmes not going to be ready for part of season something I didn't know

Jets Insider VIP
    we are going to be a running team. If so, Braylon is the guy! Not one of the other receivers blocks nearly as well as he does. He can be awesome in the run game with ferocious blocks. He still can go get the ball too.

All Pro
    Lloyd is probably the best of the bunch, but I want Edwards.

He is a good red zone option and a stud run blocker. If he regains some of the speed lost from the ACL, he'll be a good player to have. Certainly better than some of the trash already here. I think it's fair to say Edwards is without question better than guys like Jordan White and Gates and Riley and Gilyard.

I would take both Barden and Edwards, if the money was right.

All League
    Bring back Clyde Gates

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Bring back Clyde Gates
    He's already on the roster.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    we are going to be a running team. If so, Braylon is the guy! Not one of the other receivers blocks nearly as well as he does. He can be awesome in the run game with ferocious blocks. He still can go get the ball too.
    We are going to pass this season.

Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post

COMMENTARY | The New York Jets picked up a couple of interesting pieces in last month's NFL draft. One area of need overlooked, however, was the wide receiver position. Now, according to multiple reports, the Jets are looking to bring in at least one veteran wideout at a team-friendly price.

According to different sources, former Jets WR Braylon Edwards, former New England Patriots receiver Brandon Lloyd and former New York Giants wideout Ramses Barden have all been in contact with Jets brass discussing a role in Gotham.

Edwards, whom the Jets picked up off waivers at the end of the 2012 campaign, would also bring experience within the Jets' system -- one where he had moderate success from 2009-2010, catching 88 passes for over 1,400 yards and 11 touchdowns. While those totals would be one average season for, say, Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, they were decent statistics for an offense that was led by first-time starter Mark Sanchez and a run-heavy offense.

A Lloyd signing would be a slight "gotcha" at bitter rival New England, which released the wide receiver after a solid season as he nearly posted a 1,000-yard season despite being the third or fourth option in the passing game.

Besides those two names, USA Today's Mike Garafolo tweeted that the Jets have also been in touch with Barden, a former third-round pick by the Giants who never seemed to catch on despite amazing physical tools (6 feet 7 inches tall, 4.6 speed). Barden, who like Edwards and Lloyd hasn't garnered much attention on the free-agent front, could be a third or fourth receiver and fill a void in the short passing game left when tight end Dustin Keller departed via free agency.

No matter whom the Jets bring in at wide receiver, an upgrade is needed. With Santonio Holmes sidelined most of the year, Jeremy Kerley led Gang Green with 56 receptions. No other Jet had more than 29 catches.
    Poorly written article.

1. Edwards has experience within Jets system? It's a new OC, O system and a new GM.
    2. Lloyd signing as a slight 'gotcha'? NE released him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Poorly written article.

1. Edwards has experience within Jets system? It's a new OC, O system and a new GM.
    2. Lloyd signing as a slight 'gotcha'? NE released him.
    Because New England never picks up our cuts and practice squad waivers??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post

I have always hated how writers lean on this crutch. It's so moronic.

This sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME, so obviously, the GMs know this and they more often than not probably have an idea of where the guy will go before he even announces that player has been released.

Dummies.

If/when Holmes and Harris get cut, I expect NE to be on the short list for both of them. Would anybody really be surprised if either of those players signed with them?

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Bring back Clyde Gates
    Free Nelson Mandela!

Jets Insider VIP
    What?!? No one is busting down the door for Chaz Schilens?

I'd take 2 out of the 3 if the price is right. Major question marks at WR.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    I'd take 2 out of the 3 if the price is right. Major question marks at WR.
    100% agree.

Bring back the beard........I still believe in unfinished busness....plud Lloyd

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    They are saying Holmes not going to be ready for part of season something I didn't know
    where does it say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post

So how would it be a 'gotcha'? NE released him so they know he can sign elsewhere, including with the Jets. If they wanted him they wouldn't have released him. Where's the 'gotcha'?

Jets Insider VIP
    I thought Barden was a TE honestly I guess because of his size. His performance last year seemed kind of underwhelming even with Eli throwing to him.