Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Holmes casts vote for Sanchez

NY Jets' Santonio Holmes says Mark Sanchez is the 'team leader' and starting QB

NY Jets' Santonio Holmes says Mark Sanchez is the 'team leader' and starting quarterback

The wide receiver said he spoke to Sanchez on both Tuesday and Wednesday. 'Right now, Sanchez. That’s what we’re going with,' Holmes on NBC Sports Network on Wednesday.

By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

John Idzik and Rex Ryan may be all about competition at the quarterback spot, but Santonio Holmes believes Mark Sanchez is the Jets’ starting QB.

“Right now, Sanchez. That’s what we’re going with,” Holmes on NBC Sports Network on Wednesday.

The wide receiver said he spoke to Sanchez on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Right now he’s going to continue being Mark Sanchez, the team leader. (He’s) just focused on helping the team.”

Sanchez is technically in a five-way competition for that job with Geno Smith, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms, although Ryan has said that Sanchez will get the first snap. Holmes supports Sanchez, but danced around a question about one of the Jets’ old quarterbacks, Tim Tebow. The wideout was asked to describe the Jets’ Tebow era in one word and Holmes responded, “That one I’m going to leave unanswered. I have no answer for that. I didn’t get a chance to play with Tim Tebow, so I can’t fully express myself about the situation.”

Holmes did play with Tebow through Week 4 when he was knocked out for the season with a Lisfranc foot injury, but clearly wasn’t going to take the bait on the recently cut Tebow.

The Jets’ best receiver classified his recovery from the injury as “day-to-day” and added he wouldn’t be able to play if there were a game this Sunday. “I probably wouldn’t try that at all,” Holmes said.

Holmes agreed to a pay cut earlier this season, reducing his salary from $11 million to $7.5 million. Holmes said he would have been on the Jets even if he hadn’t accepted the pay cut, but said he did it because, “I want to be here for the long-term and if it means helping out the team, I’m going to continue to help out the team in any way possible.”

CRIBBS NOTES
    WR/KR Josh Cribbs visited the Jets on Wednesday, according to a source.

The Jets discussed parameters of a deal but did not make a formal offer.

Cribbs, a free agent, has played all eight years of his career with the Browns and has four other visits lined up over the next two weeks. He nearly signed with the Cardinals but was not fully healed from arthroscopic knee surgery. For the Jets, Cribbs could contribute to their weak receiving corps but would be particularly valuable on special teams.

He has returned eight kickoffs and three punts back for touchdowns in his eight-year career, and lead the league in yards per kick return in 2007.

Should the Jets sign Cribbs, it would likely mean the end of Joe McKnight's time with the Jets. McKnight now has three running backs on the depth chart above him, and would no longer be needed as a return man.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1338939

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    "...until time permits" ?
    LOL. Holmes should go light a candle thanking God for football.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    +1

What he really said is after June 1, time will permit David Garrard this season and then Geno Smith to finally throw the ball to me and the other Jet receivers more than to defensive backs and the ground

So long Turnover Machine. ..take tyour headband and follow Teblow out the open door!
    until time permits means until geno gets familiar with the offense.

Am I the only Fan who prefers a world where the Santonio Holmes's simply keep heir mouth shut?

A hurt WR, not known as a positive locker room infuence, vastly overpaid for his respective production, who did not play the vast majority of the prvious season, should really have VERY little to say to the media right now.

Is it so hard to say: "We'll see, all I care about is getting better, getting healthy, and helping the team win. Everything else is outside of my control."

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Has Holmes finally matured?? I guess time will tell but this might be the 1st interview I read of his and didn't want to strangle him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    +1

Good for Santonio if he's making all the right noises for a change,perhaps he's matured a little with the injury timeout.If he can get back to being healthy and motivated then he's an asset that most of us have kind of factored out of the equation completely

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Am I the only Fan who prefers a world where the Santonio Holmes's simply keep heir mouth shut?

A hurt WR, not known as a positive locker room infuence, vastly overpaid for his respective production, who did not play the vast majority of the prvious season, should really have VERY little to say to the media right now.

Is it so hard to say: "We'll see, all I care about is getting better, getting healthy, and helping the team win. Everything else is outside of my control."
    To be fair to him he's been invisible since the injury until now.I'm no fanboy for Holmes but I have no problem hearing him be honest here and make some positive 'team first' noises

The sooner Idzik can dump this ass clown the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. Holmes should go light a candle thanking God for football.
    I don't think he'd be lighting a candle.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    why you. have, has be saying. things racist talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    To be fair to him he's been invisible since the injury until now.I'm no fanboy for Holmes but I have no problem hearing him be honest here and make some positive 'team first' noises
    Redlichtie. I remember you from a long time ago.

I can't take anything that Holmes says seriously. Look at his words. They are vague and as far from sincere as it gets. He is just what he is. An arrogant d-bag that liked to see his name in quotes and also thinks he is being clever with his words.

But he is as far from sincere as it will ever get. I can't stand this guy.

I actually got banned from here at some point for wishing ill upon him, but I regret that. I just wish he would go away.

His talent doesn't equal his enormous opinion of himself.

People use the term "cancer in the locker room" pretty freely these days. Most times, it doesn't apply.

It definitely applies in this case.

It's a tough spot because they probably asked him a pointed question about Sanchez so what is he supposed to say. He has no prior relationship with Garrard and/or Smith so he's just backing the guy he's played with before. A non-story in my opinion. Holmes's opinion is also somewhat irrelevant since he didn't play last year when the wheels really fell off for Sanchez.

Redlichtie. I remember you from a long time ago.

I can't take anything that Holmes says seriously. Look at his words. They are vague and as far from sincere as it gets. He is just what he is. An arrogant d-bag that liked to see his name in quotes and also thinks he is being clever with his words.

But he is as far from sincere as it will ever get. I can't stand this guy.

I actually got banned from here at some point for wishing ill upon him, but I regret that. I just wish he would go away.

His talent doesn't equal his enormous opinion of himself.

People use the term "cancer in the locker room" pretty freely these days. Most times, it doesn't apply.

It definitely applies in this case.
    Sorry my friend you'll have to remind me who you were a long time ago and why you remember me!...hopefully good reasons

As for Holmes I can't blame people for feeling that way about him...

me personally I see every day as a new chapter and an opportunity to be better than yesterday.It's a long shot judging by the past but I'll give Holmes the benefit largely because I have to.He's going nowhere and we're paying him big dollars to be a playmaker at a position we are extremely thin.We need him and cutting him loose makes absolutely no sense

I don't know the guy personally but I have a tiny bit of admiration for guys who wear their heart on their sleeve and don't hide behind meaningless platitudes when interviewed.His behaviour on a number of occasions has been inexcusable,perhaps he realises that,perhaps not but I don't have any intention to vilify him forever and for all I know he's a great guy who cares too much.2013 would be a good place for him to reveal that publically

Do I foresee a day when he's up there with Toon and Hasty as my favourite Jets?...no

But he's a Jet and I'll support him as long as he's trying to make this team better

Either way I'll hope for the best rather than assume he worst...that's just me
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 05-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.

I don't know the guy personally but I have a tiny bit of admiration for guys who wear their heart on their sleeve and don't hide behind meaningless platitudes when interviewed.
    ... Kinda like Tebow ... Did you root for him as well?

The difference is that Tebow did not cognitively cause the pain on anyone else on the team. He also did not draw attention to himself. The distractions cause by Tebow were beyond his control. Dropping the ball every time one makes a first down is within one's control ... It is also childish, Diva-ish and punkish.

Holmes is a punk ... Do i want him to fail? Absolutely not. I want the Jets to win. Will I be happier if he moves to another team ? Yes.

Will I root for him this year as a Jet ... Absolutely.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    ... Kinda like Tebow ... Did you root for him as well?

The difference is that Tebow did not cognitively cause the pain on anyone else on the team. He also did not draw attention to himself. The distractions cause by Tebow were beyond his control. Dropping the ball every time one makes a first down is within one's control ... It is also childish, Diva-ish and punkish.

Holmes is a punk ... Do i want him to fail? Absolutely not. I want the Jets to win. Will I be happier if he moves to another team ? Yes.

Will I root for him this year as a Jet ... Absolutely.
    Yes

I was happy when we traded for Holmes, but I'll be happier once we cut him.

With Idzik taking over for Tannenbum, we will need to continue to rebuild this team by getting rid of the distractions, overpaid bums, and malcontents. I'm confident it will happen.

Crack torch?

FINALLY! I can't believe it took 20 posts for someone to catch this. It's the only thing I took away from this article. I guess that doesn't say much about the article.

Yes
    Then I know I am not alone ...

Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    I was happy when we traded for Holmes, but I'll be happier once we cut him.

With Idzik taking over for Tannenbum, we will need to continue to rebuild this team by getting rid of the distractions, overpaid bums, and malcontents. I'm confident it will happen.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL, that's right up there alongside Plaxico Burress saying 'with retrospect to that'. YOu really have to fill in a lot of the blanks for these ESL to figure out what they're trying to say.