Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Holmes casts vote for Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Holmes casts vote for Sanchez

Mercurial WR Santonio Holmes, who famously clashed with Mark Sanchez at the end of the 2011 season, gave his endorsement Wednesday to Sanchez in the looming quarterback competition.

"Right now, it's Sanchez, and that's who we're going with, and we're going to continue on this road until time permits," Holmes said on the NBC Sports Network, speaking publicly for the first time since the end of the season.

Truth be told, Holmes hasn't played in a regular-season game with any of the other quarterbacks on the Jets' roster -- David Garrard, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms and rookie Geno Smith. From all indications, Holmes and Sanchez settled their differences before last season. Holmes ended up playing only four games because of a LisFranc foot injury that required surgery.

Holmes dodged a question about the recently released Tim Tebow. Asked to describe the Tebow experience in one word, he paused and said, "That one, I'm going to leave unanswered for that one. I have no answer for that one." He added, "I didn't get a chance to play with Tim Tebow, so I can't fully express myself on the situation."

Actually, he played four games with Tebow. It's worth noting that it was Holmes, at the start of training camp, who expressed skepticism about the prospect of a two-quarterback system succeeding in the NFL. He was right about that.

Holmes recently took a $3.5 million pay cut, lowering his base pay to a guaranteed $7.5 million. Basically, the non-guaranteed portion of his 2013 base pay was cut. Holmes said he did it for the good of the team, insisting he was in no jeopardy of being released.

"I want to be here for the long term, and if it means helping out the team, I'm going to continue helping out the team in any way possible," Holmes said.

Holmes hasn't been participating in voluntary workouts. He has been rehabbing his surgically repaired foot while taking classes at Ohio State. While he was gone, the Jets traded their best player, Darrelle Revis.

"I didn't believe it," Holmes said. "I was constantly getting text messages and phone calls, asking me about the situation, and all I can say is congrats to Rev. He deserves to get paid the way he's playing, and I hope he gets well with his injury to provide some great defense for the Bucs."

The Jets open against the Bucs, so it'll probably be Revis covering Holmes -- assuming Holmes is healthy. The Jets' plan is to bring him along slowly in the preseason, targeting Week 1.

espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23100/holmes-casts-vote-for-sanchez?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read...Thanks.

hard to fully believe Holmes in everything he says but good read.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, you can always count on the misleading header when dealing with the NY media.

Holmes "casts vote" for Sanchez? How in the hell is "right now, it's Sanchez" a ringing endorsement? If my boss told me "right now, this job is yours," I'd be tightening up the resume.

To be fair, I guess there isn't a whole lot to write about now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Right now, it's Sanchez, and that's who we're going with, and we're going to continue on this road until time permits,"

Funny, I read this and think the exact opposite of Holmes casting a vote for Sanchez...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey little dickie c, how about writing about football and stop trying to create a qb controversy.

Oh, that's right, you know nothing about football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    "Right now, it's Sanchez, and that's who we're going with, and we're going to continue on this road until time permits,"

Funny, I read this and think the exact opposite of Holmes casting a vote for Sanchez...
    Same here.

These idiots are straight up making up shlt.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes' opinion is as irrelevant as Cimini's is.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's just repeating what Rex said. No reason to call it a vote.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with that...so many make it out as if Holmes is the worst player in football.....we know what happened at the end on 2011.....lets move on already.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Ah, you can always count on the misleading header when dealing with the NY media.

Holmes "casts vote" for Sanchez? How in the hell is "right now, it's Sanchez" a ringing endorsement? If my boss told me "right now, this job is yours," I'd be tightening up the resume.

To be fair, I guess there isn't a whole lot to write about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Same here.

These idiots are straight up making up shlt.
    Word.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    Holmes' opinion is as irrelevant as Cimini's is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a horrible title. The term "vote" makes it sound like other players on the team will be having certain preferences for their QB and deal with the consequences. Yes, there will be a QB competition, as is normal for any team not satisfied with that position, but a "vote?" So if Geno wins the starting job, the best WR on the team is on record as voting against him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has Holmes finally matured?? I guess time will tell but this might be the 1st interview I read of his and didn't want to strangle him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

What he really said is after June 1, time will permit David Garrard this season and then Geno Smith to finally throw the ball to me and the other Jet receivers more than to defensive backs and the ground

So long Turnover Machine. ..take tyour headband and follow Teblow out the open door!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

lol. how does anyone take that as a vote of confidence?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell writes these headlines?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Nothing wrong with that...so many make it out as if Holmes is the worst player in football.....we know what happened at the end on 2011.....lets move on already.
    +1

While Holmes might not be the best guy in the world he's still a talented football player and one that the team clearly missed last year when he went down.

In the NFL not everyone's going to be a good guy. Take him for what he's worth and get over it. A quality NFL football WR (not great) that can help the Jets win and stop whining about his attitude.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    lol. how does anyone take that as a vote of confidence?
    +1

Tone was more lucid than the dumb reporter and editor

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    +1

What he really said is after June 1, time will permit David Garrard this season and then Geno Smith to finally throw the ball to me and the other Jet receivers more than to defensive backs and the ground

So long Turnover Machine. ..take tyour headband and follow Teblow out the open door!
    You didn't hear? Mark is now sporting barrettes. For the time being, Jet green, of course.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "...until time permits" ?