Thread: Conor Orr: Jets LB Demario Davis looks to fill shoes of Bart Scott, make his own name

Conor Orr: Jets LB Demario Davis looks to fill shoes of Bart Scott, make his own name

Demario Davis sits quietly at the far corner of the locker room, where, on a good day, he can remain distant from the noise, the cameras and the clutter that often permeates his personal space.

Rex Ryan once compared his first impressions of Davis to that of Ravens legend Ray Lewis, a player with a signature dance, the pull of a preacher and the knockout glare underneath his helmet.

He is also asking him to replace the equally clamorous Bart Scott, whose bravado has roamed the Jets locker room every season Ryan has been head coach.

But Davis, now in his second season with the Jets, prefers to operate under the radar. He speaks softly, reserving most of his conversation for Twitter, where he regularly updates his timeline with inspirational and religious messages. He doesnt feel the need to shout, stomp or holler during the early spring workouts to announce his presence.

I dont feel like I have to overexert myself, Davis said. I have a locker room full of guys that respect me because they know I respect them. To get respect you have to give it, and I think the guys respect me for who I am.

For a player drawing comparisons to Lewis and replacing Scott it sounds like a departure from the stereotypical mentality of an inside linebacker. But Davis, who will slide into Scotts spot alongside veteran David Harris, is looking forward to the chance to put his own mark on the position.

Were two different guys, Davis said of himself and Scott. I took a lot of things from him, his approach to the game, the way he played the game he was very physical. Very high energy. Some of the things he taught me Ill never forget.

After making his mark as a linebacker in sub packages last year, playing a total of 315 snaps, Davis will be asked to undertake a much larger role in 2013. Scott, who missed a game due to injury and was removed on many passing downs, played almost double.

Ive been asked to do different things throughout my career, so stepping up and taking that load will be absolutely no problem, Davis said. Its definitely a bigger responsibility stepping up to not only be a force on the defense but to be a leader on the defense.

Taking hold of this thing is something Im looking forward to.

The inside linebacker position is more natural to Davis, he says, and one he began perfecting this offseason with the aid of Harris. The two began texting shortly after the season ended and have developed an on-field competition during workouts.

Davis hopes to absorb Harris instinct and institutional knowledge while pushing him physically.

He challenges me more in the mental portion, Davis said. I try and challenge him more in the physical portion, making sure hes keeping his wheels going, keeping his speed up and making sure hes agile. Its a give-give situation.

From his locker, he has a clear view of the spot vacated by Scott. Hes also a few lockers away from Bryan Thomas, who will more than likely not return. Outside of Calvin Pace and Harris, the linebacker core that has been intact for the past four seasons is gone.

But Davis, an agent of change, doesnt see that as a bad thing.

Its a new feel but its a bunch of young guys who can work together,

Davis said. Its a brotherhood; we have an opportunity to grow together.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._looks_to.html

All League
    dont see much coming from this guy. average at best.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    That's ok.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's ok.
    Exactly. Not every player is going to be a pro bowl caliber player. If Davis ends up being an average middle LB that is not bad for a 3rd round draft pick.

he looks like he has a chance to be much better than avg he gets there fast and play on the other side of the line. he does run himself out of plays or misses a tackle cause he is too fast and dosent settle down before the play gets there. i am hopefull thats as he plays more his agressive nature will be more focused and that he blows up a lot of plays in the backfield.

Average is an upgrade over Bartt Scott circa 2012.

All Pro
    Way too early to draw conclusions on this guy one way or another.

he should really benefit from richardson as teams will be focused on stopping the d-line first and foremost. this defense is morphing into what the giants do, massive dline that can generate pressure. hopefully.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    He is an upgrade in terms of athleticism, but Bart knew this defense as good as anyone and that was the reason he still got a lot of playing time at the end of the season. Davis needs to lean this defense the way Bart knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He is an upgrade in terms of athleticism, but Bart knew this defense as good as anyone and that was the reason he still got a lot of playing time at the end of the season. Davis needs to lean this defense the way Bart knew it.
    i will go on believing the reason bart was getting pt was b/c he's rex's favorite and b/c rex knew he may retire.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i will go on believing the reason bart was getting pt was b/c he's rex's favorite and b/c rex knew he may retire.
    That would be a really bad indictment on Rex then. If he was playing Bart at the expense of getting Davis some reps just because he was his favorite, then that is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That would be a really bad indictment on Rex then. If he was playing Bart at the expense of getting Davis some reps just because he was his favorite, then that is really bad.
    you're talking about a guy who played a qb last year b/c he had a tattoo of the guy on his arm.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

I don't think Davis is taking over Bart Scott's role in this defense. Scott was the guy who crashed the LOS to blow up plays and allow Harris and the DBs to clean up and make tackles. That's why Scott's numbers were never great and probably why Rex loved him -- he did the dirty work sacrificing his body and taking on OL so his teammates could make plays.

I think with Davis's speed (relative to Harris), he and Harris may be switching roles to allow Davis to flow to the the ball carrier and clean up. I believe Davis fits the mold better as 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB with speed. Either way I see him being a 3 down LB and us playing a lot of 4-2-5 this season. Hope he is a keeper as ILB is not a deep position.

From everything I have read about him and heard from him, the kid will be a leader. He also has the athleticism/tools to be a very good player. That kind of combination usually results in success.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    From everything I have read about him and heard from him, the kid will be a leader. He also has the athleticism/tools to be a very good player. That kind of combination usually results in success.
    Yea I forgot what interview it was, but they asked some offensive lineman what player surprised you the most on the team, and he said Demario Davis, he was a leader in the locker room, on the field, in the gym. etc... good news.