Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geno Has What Sanchez Didn't

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    All you had to do was see Rex's glare after the Titans loss which took the Jets out of the playoff hunt. I don't think I've ever seen anyone project so much anger in their expression. At the end of the game he stalked by Sanchez without even looking at him, which was good because if he had it would probably have killed Mark.
    Thank you, I believe right after that game, Mark' fate was sealed once and for all.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Up until recently I’ve been in the “there is a 15% chance that MS can play better than last year so let’s all hope for that” camp. I now realize that the 2012 +15% MS or even the 2010 + 15% MS is nothing more than a QB with a subpar floor and low ceiling. So is MS + 15% best for the team going forward, or would that time and reps be better spent elsewhere? I’m switching to the spend them elsewhere camp.

Same question with his roster spot. Is that spot best spent elsewhere? I think we’ve learned enough about Idzig in the way he handled Tebow to know that he’ll hold on to MS until the fat lady sings. Time will tell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'm still rooting for the best possible thing that can happen for this team, and that's for Mark to get his act together and play to the potential of a #5 overall pick. If that happens, we not only have a QB that is finally playing at a high level, but we also suddenly have a high value commodity sitting on the bench that we can either go with (ala SD with Rivers over Brees), or we can trade for value in the future.
    You don't give up easily, do you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pc

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    for some reason I have a feeling that geno smith is going to light it up in training camp. there's no denying the kid has talent and something to prove. the preseason games will be must watch TV

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it would be great if sanchez played better but the odds are against it. he didn't have a large body of work at USC to point to and his pro career started ok and has regressed considerably. plus, the offense is being rebuilt and doesn't have the weapons to help him out (though getting rid of greene and adding two better rbs helps). all in all the situation on offense isn't set up for sanchez to succeed, through no fault or mailce by idzik. best case for sanchez is they bring back braylon and sanchez dumps it off to the rbs a fair amount and doesn't throw too many picks.
    I remember Solomon Wilcots analyzing Brady Quinn before the his Draft. He was being pimped as a sure Top 10 pick. Then Wilcots said he had seen lots of Quinn's tape and that it was so obvious that Quinn did not have the accuracy to succeed at the NFL level, that the passes he would missed to wide open receivers or where he didn't lead them right translated into a disaster in the NFL where the windows are so much tighter. I think Quinn's agent actually called up hysterically saying that that kind of talk was costing his client millions and it wasn't fair (Quinn's results in the NFL suggest that the analysis was spot on).

Just my opinion, but Brady Quinn is a more accurate QB than Mark Sanchez is or will ever be. This is Sanchez' last year in the league unless he can land a sweet gig of holding a clipboard and making more money he does not deserve.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    One thing that Geno has entering his rookie season that Mark Sanchez didn't is....Mark Sanchez.

Mark was handed the keys to the car. Geno will have to compete and earn them.

Deep thoughts by JFB

No franchise QB ever had to compete for the job. They were all handed keys to the car. There are a a lot of knocks against Sánchez, this one is stupid.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4890226]What he has that Sanchez didn't is 300% more college starting experience, an OC and. QB coach. And the opportunity to sit on the bench and learn. What he doesnt have is the pressure to bring a SB victory in his rookie season.[/QUOTE]

And SANCHEZ did?!

In case you weren't watching the games in 2009, there were no expectations for the NYJ that season. Virtually, no one had them picked to be a conference finalist. Going right into the last weeks of the season it was very much undecided if they'd even make the playoffs.

Rex Ryan made some bold predictions. But those predictions were certainly nothing anyone was taking seriously.

Sanchez had NO pressure whatsoever to deliver a SB trophy. The mere suggestion is absurd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol I love this excuse.. There is a difference from a qb "taking " a team to the playoffs from a qb who hopped on the back of best D and run game in league.. Or top 5 in both..
    No there isn't.

Just ask the clueless fans in this fan base who are quick to anoint someone as the second coming of one of the all-time greats because they piggybacked onto basically 21 solid veterans for two years, and when it came time for him to grow up and lead a team he couldn't handle it and proved his worth as a mediocre manager - but it's everyone else's fault.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    for some reason I have a feeling that geno smith is going to light it up in training camp. there's no denying the kid has talent and something to prove. the preseason games will be must watch TV
    Can't remember being this excited for a preseason game.

QB battle
    Ivory
    Coples at LB
    Hill (improved?)

I know you can't ever read too much in preseason games, but there are things that could happen in those games that could sway our predictions of a final record by as much as four or five games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Can't remember being this excited for a preseason game.

QB battle
    Ivory
    Coples at LB
    Hill (improved?)

I know you can't ever read too much in preseason games, but there are things that could happen in those games that could sway our predictions of a final record by as much as four or five games.
    And who the hell is going to stand out at TE and FS ... that's what I'm looking at aside from the QB battle and Coples. Hill will be judged in the Regular Season, after Week 1 haha, and Ivory will be just fine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the skinny on this supposed QB competition.
    MM as the OC has already sealed Mark Sanchez fate.
    An offense based on a short passing game utilizing the entire width of the field, so that you 1st stretch a defense than attack it in the seams.
    The number 1 thing you need to do in an offense like this is have a high completion % or it won't work!
    You can't set up a defense if you can't complete easy passes, & get another set of downs to attack.
    How anyone of you Jet fans that have been watching Sanchez since 2009 think that he can be accurate enough to beat out a kid that moves more fluid, throws accurate short catchable passes on the run, or while moving, played in an offense that relied on the short passing game that had at least 3 options.

Sanchez has zero chance of beating out Smith.
    He was the 32nd rank starting QB in the league & some backups that played for other teams out performed him (Foles).
    Garrard won't make it out of training camp.
    Jets lucked out, got a hard working guy, that Marty will coach up, teach him how to utilize his athleticism, and we will finally have teams having to play the entire field instead of seeing 9 & 10 man fronts sending the house, knowing that Mark can't make decisions, always runs sideways & backwards, and will throw picks if you get him out of the pocket.
    Defenses figured Mark out, and he lost any Mojo he ever had. Just look at how BB forced him to complete short throws.
    He did OK last year in New England, but remember that Kerley had a great game bailing him out on bad throws time & again.
    Geno can beat out the worst starter in the league, will he be really good? I have no idea, but he's already better than Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    No franchise QB ever had to compete for the job. They were all handed keys to the car. There are a a lot of knocks against Sánchez, this one is stupid.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    have to disagree

best possible outcome for 2013

Sanchez booted out the door shortly after June 1

Garrard starts and plays the season

Geno Smith becomes starter by his play in training camp and preseason in 2014 and for a long time after
    Sanchez will be the starter this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Has What Sanchez Didn't

BALLS??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moreno Valley View Post
    Garrard will start in 2013

Smith will take over in 2014

Turnover6 gone in June

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.

Welcome to JI.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Garrard will start in 2013

Smith will take over in 2014

Turnover6 gone in June
    I think Sanchez has more work ethics and with an experienced OC on board he will flourish this year.

Sanchez - Starter
    Garrard- Back-up
    Geno- 3rd string

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Sanchez has more work ethics and with an experienced OC on board he will flourish this year.

Sanchez - Starter
    Garrard- Back-up
    Geno- 3rd string
    Sanchez was the single worst QB in the league the last 4 years. What does that tell you about his work ethic? Greg Mcelroy will beat him out let alone Geno and Garrard.

Garrard - Starter
    Geno- Back-up
    Mcelroy- 3rd string
    Sanchez- Cut

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Sanchez was the single worst QB in the league the last 4 years. What does that tell you about his work ethic? Greg Mcelroy will beat him out let alone Geno and Garrard.

Garrard - Starter
    Geno- Back-up
    Mcelroy- 3rd string
    Sanchez- Cut
    Sanchez - Starter for two weeks
    Garrard - Starts the rest of the season ... Sanchez reduced to career backup
    Smith - Clipboard to the Clipboard
    McElroy - Practice Squad