Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woody says Jets Tried to Trade Down

Hall Of Fame
    Thread title is a bit misleading.

If you believe what the Jets say, both Milliner and Richardson were Top 4 on their big board. So from the Jets viewpoint both picks were no-brainers @ 9 and 13.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

If you believe what the Jets say, both Milliner and Richardson were Top 4 on their big board. So from the Jets viewpoint both picks were no-brainers @ 9 and 13.
    Having a player graded high on your draft board doesn't mean that those players are who you want.

Unlikely Hypothetical: If Denver had Andrew Luck show up at their draft pick and they had just spent a fortune to acquire Peyton Manning, what do you expect them to do? Draft Luck? No-brainer?

Maybe they would set the QB aside and draft the next best player on their board.

Draft board doesn't mean that if you are looking BPA that you take the BPA in any case.

Apparently the Jets pulled the trigger on Richardson because they had their HC/DC saying he could use that guy no matter what.

BPA isn't as strict as fans treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    "There is no try."

-- WestCoastOffensive
    Uh, Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

And I don't believe that for a second. If you do, you have to believe that Austin was also in their top 4 overall, and that Geno rounded out the 4 since Woody said he was their next highest rated player. So in essence that says if they had the first 4 picks in the draft they would have taken Austin, Milliner, Richardson, and Geno. Yeah I don't believe any of that for a second. The only guy I truly think may have been in their top 4 was Milliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    And I don't believe that for a second. If you do, you have to believe that Austin was also in their top 4 overall, and that Geno rounded out the 4 since Woody said he was their next highest rated player. So in essence that says if they had the first 4 picks in the draft they would have taken Austin, Milliner, Richardson, and Geno. Yeah I don't believe any of that for a second. The only guy I truly think may have been in their top 4 was Milliner.
    The only reason they said it was to sell unbiased Jets fans on the pick.

The rest would not make sense, unless the Jets' scouting dept was incompetent.

Then again, most of the Jets' scouting dept is getting fired...

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Uh, Yoda.

precisely

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Thats not what Woody said. He said he was the highest left on their board in the second round when they picked Geno. He said they would have considered taking Geno in the first IF THEY TRADED BACK, not at 13.

Undrafted Free Agent
    You dont draft with the media's reaction in mind, you draft to add talent to your team and dats wat jets did, i like all the picks except Geno smith, I had Geno going in the late 2nd to early 3rd round, and they reached for him and then fired the scout who scouted him

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Everone knew that the Rams were desperate for WR Tavon Austin in the first round especially after having lost their best receiver Danny Amandolla to the Patriots who lost Wes Welker. To get Austin the Rams had to move in front of the Jets who also wanted Tavon Austin. The trade with the Bills was done the day of the draft and they just had to wait until pick 7 to make the trade.

Woody Johnson smoke screen If the Jets were so hot for Geno Smith they would have taken him with the 9th pick or even the 13th pick.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...draft/13563290
    I'd take Milliner over Austin every day of the week.
    Milliner falling was the best thing that could happen for the Jets.
    Richardson allows Rex to let Coples go after the QB

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats not what Woody said. He said he was the highest left on their board in the second round when they picked Geno. He said they would have considered taking Geno in the first IF THEY TRADED BACK, not at 13.
    You're right. That's the second time this week I completely misread a post here. I must be getting old

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    + a billion

I personally would have loved that draft myself. The Richardson pick is the one I wasn't crazy about initially, as I had hoped after Millner the Jets would have been lucky enough to still land Warmack at 13.

That said, everything about Richardson points toward it being a solid pick, and the Coples move creates a place for him in the defense. Besides, for all those saying he doesn't fit the scheme...well that's only true as long as the current staff is in place, no?
    No it's not true at all. He does fit the scheme which is a hybrid attacking 3-4

Chris Gross;
    Ryan’s scheme relies heavily on interchangeable players along the defensive front, and that includes the outside linebacker position. Calvin Pace played the position of “Rush” linebacker last year, which is a 3-4 outside linebacker, but with responsibilities more geared for setting the edge against the run, and getting after the quarterback on passing downs. Certainly, there are plays where this position is asked to drop into coverage, more so than the other defensive line positions. However, these situations are not overly abundant. The “Rush” LB position has that name for a reason. Their primary job is to rush the quarterback on passing downs, with the secondary role coming in the form of coverage, depending on what coverage scheme is called and what the offense shows.

BSG;
    One major problem with the complexity of Rex Ryan’s defensive system is that – with all due respect – many media members don’t understand how the scheme works, or at least simplify things too much when they are writing about the system to give the illusion that they don’t really understand it. The scheme involves multiple fronts, personnel groups, formations, blitz packages, run fits and coverages so even when you comprehend the basics, you risk falling into a trap of over-generalizing. The Jets had five or more defensive backs on the field over half the time last year, so it’s pretty rare for them to be in a base defense anyway. However, on the defensive line most of their subpackages operate under similar principles.

One of the key features of the defense is the role of the Rush Linebacker in the front seven (or sometimes six, in certain nickel packages). Since there are four players with “linebacker” in their job title, the media will often make the mistake of referring to Rex’s defense as a 3-4 base and then comparing it with the other 3-4 defenses around the league, such as Pittsburgh or Houston – or Eric Mangini’s 3-4 defense that the Jets ran from 2006 to 2008. In fact, the defense has more in common with teams like the Patriots and Cowboys … and of course Baltimore, whose own version of the hybrid system evolved out of what Rex Ryan created as defensive coordinator there until he got the Jets’ coaching job in 2009.

Essentially the “Rush Linebacker” is more “Rush” than “Linebacker”. In fact, Karl Dunbar reportedly announced that Coples is moving to “rush” on twitter, which was the point at which this story seems to have gone public. The Rush Linebacker is primarily a weakside pass rusher that sometimes, but not necessarily the majority of the time, operates out of a standing stance. He can also play with his hand in the dirt and for certain players, that’s what they will choose to do most of the time.

Since that player has the option to play with his hand in the dirt, thereby creating a situation where there are four down linemen, some people see this as a move towards a 4-3 defense, but ultimately it’s the same defense, often operating with 46 principles. Most players won’t see their role change regardless of whether Coples (or whoever the Rush Linebacker is) chooses to put his hand in the dirt. Of course there are certain personnel groupings that will operate better in a 4-3 than a 3-4 (and vice versa) and there will no doubt be some more conventional formations mixed in to exploit this.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-09-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    OK Yoda, thanks "would have liked to" "were open to" "sought trading partners to trade down" "had an awesome plan had they been able to"
    "Hey, Idzik. We'll give you our 1st and 7th to move up."

"We'll, even though we're going to move down 30 spots, lets do it JUST BECAUSE."

Trade has to be right. You don't just trade down, trade up, trade for players, sign everyone, throw TD passes. It's not Madden football.