Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive Article about Geno ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Positive Article about Geno ...

Mods ... If this has already been posted ... Please delete.

Evidently his former OC is baffled by the criticism.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...eMW5CdbrwZCDjJ
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-09-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Mods ... If this has already been posted ... Please delete.

Evidently his former OC is baffled by the criticism.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...eMW5CdbrwZCDjJ
    Thanks.. good article

Hell hath no fury like sleazy agents scorned and fired and sleazier media beat writers willing to print any crap they say

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most great QBs were, at some point in their careers, told that they weren't good enough. Aside from Peyton/Luck/Elway. Most other greats were knocked by someone.

Rodgers dropped and had embarrassing draft day moment
    Brady fell to 6th round
    Montana in the 3rd
    Favre in the 2nd and traded.
    Elli was almost run out of town before he had that SB run
    Flacco was always questioned until last year
    Marino- We all know the story of his fall on draft day and all of those QBs that were drafted ahead of him
    S. Young was bad in TB and had to back up Montana before getting his chance
    D. brees was taken in 2nd (or late first) and was kicked to the curb once Rivers was taken

Not saying that Geno will definitely succeed, but sometimes its good for a QB to have something to prove.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Most great QBs were, at some point in their careers, told that they weren't good enough. Aside from Peyton/Luck/Elway. Most other greats were knocked by someone.

Rodgers dropped and had embarrassing draft day moment
    Brady fell to 6th round
    Montana in the 3rd
    Favre in the 2nd and traded.
    Elli was almost run out of town before he had that SB run
    Flacco was always questioned until last year
    Marino- We all know the story of his fall on draft day and all of those QBs that were drafted ahead of him
    S. Young was bad in TB and had to back up Montana before getting his chance
    D. brees was taken in 2nd (or late first) and was kicked to the curb once Rivers was taken

Not saying that Geno will definitely succeed, but sometimes its good for a QB to have something to prove.

I just want to point something out that does not seem very logical. Next year is supposed to be a stronger draft class by far than this year. However, Teddy Bridgewater is ranked #2 in Mel Kiper Jr's preliminary mock? He played in the same conference as Geno, had inferior numbers (still great but inferior), and yet is listed #2

2Teddy Bridgewater *AGE: 20DOB: 11/10/92HT: 6-3WT: 218POS: QB
    Comp 287Att 419Pct 68.5Yds 3,718TD 27Int 8
    He's not a finished product, but that's what should excite evaluators about Bridgewater. Bridgewater never looks overwhelmed, and comfortably works his eyes across the field. When he sees a target -- or more likely, a receiver who will come open -- he has a quick release, plenty of arm strength and good ball placement. He has a chance to have a huge year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are no longer in a dire situation at QB. Best case scenario is Geno is a stud and Sanchez gets his **** together under MM. If Sanchez starts this season and plays well then Geno can spend this year getting up to speed and developing. We would have 2 young QBs with upside and we can trade Sanchez or resign him.

Obviously Smith is the wildcard and has the most upside. Worst case scenario is they both suck and we need to draft a QB. Still low risk since we used a #2 on Smith.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    I just want to point something out that does not seem very logical. Next year is supposed to be a stronger draft class by far than this year. However, Teddy Bridgewater is ranked #2 in Mel Kiper Jr's preliminary mock? He played in the same conference as Geno, had inferior numbers (still great but inferior), and yet is listed #2

He's not a finished product, but that's what should excite evaluators about Bridgewater. Bridgewater never looks overwhelmed, and comfortably works his eyes across the field. When he sees a target -- or more likely, a receiver who will come open -- he has a quick release, plenty of arm strength and good ball placement. He has a chance to have a huge year.
    Bridgewater is a more refined QB, but I am not 100percent sold on him. He is no Andrew Luck. Last year at this time Barkley was a top 5 pick. Then during the college season Geno was a number 1 pick. None of this matters until we see these kids play next year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    via twitter

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Jed would know --> RT @TheSignalCaller: Tossing this out there...I travel w/the team. Every time I boarded the plane home Geno was already in his seat studying tape.

("TheSignalCaller" Jed Drenning is a sideline reporter that travels with the WVU team)

It seems true that every time there's a name put with an opinion of Smith it's a positive opinion. Any time there's a negative it's based on unnamed sources or "2 + 2 = 5" supposition (like Smith was going to leave the draft... yet no one has a quote from him or his family stating that this was the case).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    via twitter

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Jed would know --> RT @TheSignalCaller: Tossing this out there...I travel w/the team. Every time I boarded the plane home Geno was already in his seat studying tape.

("TheSignalCaller" Jed Drenning is a sideline reporter that travels with the WVU team)

It seems true that every time there's a name put with an opinion of Smith it's a positive opinion. Any time there's a negative it's based on unnamed sources or "2 + 2 = 5" supposition (like Smith was going to leave the draft... yet no one has a quote from him or his family stating that this was the case).

Good, I want as many negative reports about Geno to surface. This kid seems like the kid that will be driven by stuff like that (as opposed to Sanchez who would curl up into a little ball)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good, I want as many negative reports about Geno to surface. This kid seems like the kid that will be driven by stuff like that (as opposed to Sanchez who would curl up into a little ball)
    Yep - pile it on. This is how A Football Life or a 30 for 30 documentary begins.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If negative press drives this kid to excel, then the Jets may have finally found the perfect QB for their team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is so true. Just like Sanchez got helped emotionally by his ridiculous GQ spread, he now is crushed by negative press.

I'm tired of watching him in his baby-tees make that uncomfortable slump while he mumbles to same words every week.

Weakness is a weakness.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    via twitter

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

All of the negative crap was started by Jason Cole from Yahoo. Before the draft he had nothing but positive things too say about Geno and as soon as the Jets picked him it started. I heard him on Miami's local radio station several times talking s*** about Geno. Cole is a well know Dolphins homer and a Jets hater. He wrote this article with his bullsh** unamed executives to get in this kids head and start the hate train rolling. Sorry but Cole is a parasite along with all the media scum that feel the need to ruin a 22 year old kids dream and experience of making it to the NFL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Negative stuff about him was generally all anonymous sources, positive stuff came from people who actually knew him and would attach their names to the article. I've noticed that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post

They were not in the same conference

Louisville is in the Big East
    WVU was in the Big 12 (which actually really had 10 teams)

Geno's numbers are inflated due to playing in that "Air Raid" Mike Leach type of offense, not saying Geno isn't talented but guys like Case Keenum, Kliff Kingsbury all put up obscene passing numbers in that system, its hard to judge a college QB on numbers.

Go watch the first half of Louisville's bowl game vs Florida (SEC speed), Bridgewater was amazing. I think he's the real deal in terms of that classic pocket passer.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    All of the negative crap was started by Jason Cole from Yahoo. Before the draft he had nothing but positive things too say about Geno and as soon as the Jets picked him it started. I heard him on Miami's local radio station several times talking s*** about Geno. Cole is a well know Dolphins homer and a Jets hater. He wrote this article with his bullsh** unamed executives to get in this kids head and start the hate train rolling. Sorry but Cole is a parasite along with all the media scum that feel the need to ruin a 22 year old kids dream and experience of making it to the NFL

It seems more likely to stem from Smith's parting ways with his representation rather than any bias by the media. I'm sure certain reporters do have some bias against certain clubs (they're just human), but I highly doubt someone making a living from covering a sport would resort to complete fabrication for the sake of that bias. It just seems unlikely. I do think however that a reporter with a grudge might go with a story floated out by somewhat dubious sources (liked jilted sports agents). But then again it's just as likely that this just speaks to the laziness of the reporter and media as a whole (not to truly source out sensational negative news) rather than any real bias.
    Last edited by titanbuoy; 05-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    While I agree to a extent ... There HAD to be negative stuff on him prior to the draft ... How else to explain the fall ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's recorded on video right after being drafted answering the question "Why did you change your mind and decide to come back to RCMH on Day 2 of the NFL Draft after saying you wouldn't because you weren't drafted in the first round"? He said he did it for his 'family and supporters'. It was reported by Suzy Kolber on ESPN who said Smith told her that. So if you want to say she's lying, fine.

There were multiple reports Thursday night that he had announced he wasn't coming back. Yet the consensus whining about the media is that he wasn't a 'diva' until after the Jets drafted him and there were no negative stories reported before he was drafted, only after. Yet everyone was reporting the story that he was taking his ball and going home in a huff before the Jets had anything to do with him. So bit of an impossibility there, can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Negative stuff about him was generally all anonymous sources, positive stuff came from people who actually knew him and would attach their names to the article. I've noticed that
    Yeah, that's usually how it works. Who is going to go on record with a negative opinion?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He's recorded on video right after being drafted answering the question "Why did you change your mind and decide to come back to RCMH on Day 2 of the NFL Draft after saying you wouldn't because you weren't drafted in the first round"? He said he did it for his 'family and supporters'.

There were multiple reports Thursday night that he had announced he wasn't coming back. Yet the consensus whining about the media is that he wasn't a 'diva' until after the Jets drafted him and there were no negative stories reported before he was drafted, only after. Yet everyone was reporting the story that he was taking his ball and going home in a huff before the Jets had anything to do with him. So bit of an impossibility there, can't have it both ways.
    I heard this as well ... I wish he had answered ....

'You know what ... I realized last night that I am damn lucky to be in a situation that Millions would die to be in. And whatever team selected me, deserved to have me present for the selection. Was I hurt yesterday? Yes. And maybe I was being a little childish and rash with my thinking. But upon reflection, I decided the more mature thing to do was show up and smile until my time came. That happened to be in the second round with the Jets.

I will make all the doubters believe on Sunday next fall.'

Oh what could have been.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I would agree with you, and take it a step further. When you really think about it, isn't it like that in life generally, not just in the sports world?