Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make sausage & peppers

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

You must sauté the onions and peppers with some olive oil first and separately... the sausage is key any self respecting food lover should have a favorite butcher to buy from (the closing of Danny's Pork Store near Arthur Ave was traumatic for years) then grill the sausage... another way is to put everything in the oven in a large pan and include a little bit of tomato sauce.

You should have some fresh mootz available and Italian bread on the side

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I don’t fry the sausage any more… but instead just bake in the oven being sure to flip from time to time.

I do fry up the peppers and onions + add potato (which brings it to a level beyond great).

Once the sausage is mostly done, I add the peppers, onions and potato and bake them all together for a bit…

Get some nice crusty semolina bread and enjoy a little slice of heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post
    No self repecting chef ever uses green peppers in his sausage and peppers.
    Just curious....whys that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post
    No self repecting chef ever uses green peppers in his sausage and peppers.
    To ech their own when it comes to taste.

My wife I love Mushrooms, so our own ovariant is "Red peppers, Yellow/Green Peppers, Mushrooms and Onions".

Unless you have a specific requirement to adhere to a specific traditional recipie, I say "eat what you like".

Onions and peppers should be sauteed in olive oil in a seperate pan.
    Agreed.

But for a Cooking-Noob, propery performing this step can be diffiuclt (they often overcook them THEN simmer them for a long time, thus melting the vegetation too much).

A long slow low simmer gets the job done just fine without the extra step.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok, I shouldn't have asked because I'm not more confused than ever.

Im of pedestrian means and ways, so supermarket sausage is fine with me.
    Last time I made them (I was drunk so I don't remember for sure) I think I baked them in the oven first to partiaully cook the sausage, then I I would cut up all the onions, peppers (red & green), take the sausage out, slice them up, them combine everything with some salt & pepper and that was it.

I'm sure I've committed several food crimes in the above paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

Last time I made them (I was drunk so I don't remember for sure) I think I baked them in the oven first to partiaully cook the sausage, then I I would cut up all the onions, peppers (red & green), take the sausage out, slice them up, them combine everything with some salt & pepper and that was it.

Stokes would be having a b**ch fit right about now.

a little one.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

I wouldn't eat supermarket sausage.
    All peppers are ok, red just taste the best that's why they are the pepper of choice for roasted peppers.

Only sausage from my true Italian deli, try it, it's like filet mignon from the Palm versus a steak from Beefsteak Charlies whatever that tastes like, trust me.

Jets Insider VIP
    First, add a vowel to the end of your name. If you already have a vowel at the end but it is preceded by one at the beginning, then you are out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I don’t fry the sausage any more… but instead just bake in the oven being sure to flip from time to time.

I do fry up the peppers and onions + add potato (which brings it to a level beyond great).

Once the sausage is mostly done, I add the peppers, onions and potato and bake them all together for a bit…

Get some nice crusty semolina bread and enjoy a little slice of heaven.
    +1 on the potato.

I brown the sausage on the grill or in the oven, fry the veggies in olive oil, then cook the sausage the rest of the way with everything else.

now I want to make sausage and peppers w potato and onions.

All Pro
    LOL at you guys giving him recipes. He can't cook and he wants to do Pepper's sausage... buy one banana. Peel. Practice. Don't chew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Do it the ragu way - sweet talk the ladies into cookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Do it the ragu way - sweet talk the ladies into cookin'
    That's pretty much what I did last time I "made them"

All Pro
    Premio is fine for most people except snobs who like to overpay for their scrapple at meat markets. Johnsonville's Italian sausage is fresh but lacks flavour.

Premio is also sold as a supermarket brand ("Lancaster") in places like Acme Stop & Shop so it is erroneous to assume supermarket brands are lower quality or not as good as advertised brands, why not save a few bucks.
    (You can check the numeric US Plant Code for comparison, its on the label)

Acme's bacon until recently came from the same giant, well known Canadian meat packer who provides Boar's Head at $1-$2 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Premio is fine for most people except snobs who like to overpay for their scrapple at meat markets. Johnsonville's Italian sausage is fresh but lacks flavour.

Premio is also sold as a supermarket brand ("Lancaster") in places like Acme Stop & Shop so it is erroneous to assume supermarket brands are lower quality or not as good as advertised brands, why not save a few bucks.
    (You can check the numeric US Plant Code for comparison, its on the label)

Acme's bacon until recently came from the same giant, well known Canadian meat packer who provides Boar's Head at $1-$2 more.
    Premio is good sausage. Also, if you live near a King's, their house brand (the one ground and stuffed in the store) is excellent.

EDIT: I also like A&P's brand. Nice level of spice and fennel.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 05-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    +1 on the potato.

I brown the sausage on the grill or in the oven, fry the veggies in olive oil, then cook the sausage the rest of the way with everything else.

now I want to make sausage and peppers w potato and onions.
    THIS. Jets win was pretty close, and Borgo (who decidedly can cook, had the best advice, catered sausage and peppers is a cheap dish), but Jesus guys, so many pfails on the advice. If I'm reading correctly, he wants sausage and peppers, not a gravy with sausage. Not sausage patties, not tiny sliced or diced sausages. Serve them whole. Cook sausage on a medium grill for about 15 minutes max, flipping several times. Do not poke holes in them, you'll lose all the juices. Cook the onions/peppers, (I like potatoes,and mushrooms, too) in a saute pan in olive oil. Add the sausage for a few minutes in the end, and the very LAST thing to add is chopped garlic, which only needs a minute to cook. Burn the garlic and you've ruined everything. And listen to your buddies, skip the supermarket crap and buy from a good paisan butcher. My guy is only $3.99 pound and they are lean and full of spice and flavor. Not much more $$$ but so much more flavor.

Listen to an Italian. Not these goombahs.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    THIS. Jets win was pretty close, and Borgo (who decidedly can cook, had the best advice, catered sausage and peppers is a cheap dish), but Jesus guys, so many pfails on the advice. If I'm reading correctly, he wants sausage and peppers, not a gravy with sausage. Not sausage patties, not tiny sliced or diced sausages. Serve them whole. Cook sausage on a medium grill for about 15 minutes max, flipping several times. Do not poke holes in them, you'll lose all the juices. Cook the onions/peppers, (I like potatoes,and mushrooms, too) in a saute pan in olive oil. Add the sausage for a few minutes in the end, and the very LAST thing to add is chopped garlic, which only needs a minute to cook. Burn the garlic and you've ruined everything. And listen to your buddies, skip the supermarket crap and buy from a good paisan butcher. My guy is only $3.99 pound and they are lean and full of spice and flavor. Not much more $$$ but so much more flavor.

Listen to an Italian. Not these goombahs.
    Exactly, do they know what's in that ****? Gravy sausage now you are talking.

Agree about the garlic tip. Add it at the end and turn the heat down when you add it. Garlic can burn very fast. It should just become fragrant and then you're done. Don't try to brown it for God's sake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    All peppers are ok, red just taste the best that's why they are the pepper of choice for roasted peppers.

Only sausage from my true Italian deli, try it, it's like filet mignon from the Palm versus a steak from Beefsteak Charlies whatever that tastes like, trust me.
    I won't be able to taste the difference...neither with my home invaders.

Jets Insider VIP
    What would you like to wager on that?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post