Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make sausage & peppers

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Nothing ruins a party faster than trichinosis.
    Lol...there's a BIG difference between cooked safely, and cooked to death. Honestly, it takes no more time, effort, or money to cook well than it does to put out crap. Not trying to be harsh, but I don't understand asking for advice here, getting some good info, then totally ignoring it and ruining all your ingredients. Have you TASTED what you made? (hint: it's not going to get any better after reheating it, just the opposite).

Jets Insider VIP

Hall Of Fame
    Da hell is wrong with you guys. It’s in last year’s draft party thread—now archived. Post 276.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh....php?p=4451848

Shakin, another great party last night. Here's the prep and recipe you were asking for on the sausage, peppers and onions.

First, I only use sweet Italian Sausages. Love the flavor, don't need the spice. Vidalia Onions are a must, and only Italian frying peppers. Sliced thick.

Mix the peppers and onions in a deep dish aluminum tray, and take the sausage out of one casing and spread it throughout the mix, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, hit with cracked sea salt and cracked pepper and one dollop of marinara (for color, not taste--can't stand S, P & O smothered in tomato sauce). Cover tightly with aluminum foil, almost air-tight. The one broken up sausage will add a nice taste to the peppers and onions and will cook in the pan.

This part is crucial, before grilling you have to poach your sausages. Cooks them (so no raw issues) and expands them in their casings so when you throw them on the grill, they don't immediately start spitting and losing their crucial juices. Arrange them in a fry pan in about 1/2 inch of water, cover with a tight fitting lid and basically steam them till they are done. Turn them every few mins to cook evenly.

Put the aluminum tray on the grill a few minutes before you put the sausages on, medium to high heat. Every once in a while give the pan a shake to redistribute the mix. Turn the heat down to medium and put the sausages on--use tongs and not a fork--don't puncture them--and turn them frequenty. My grill is a mess.

Once the sausages are nicely done and have grill marks all around, open up one side of the aluminum foil and throw all the sausages in, re-seal the foil and leave on the grill for another 5 mins or so, the juices from the sausages wil drip into the pepper and onion mix for added deliciousness. Shake the tray often to redistribute.

Serve on portugese rolls (I like mine hollowed out and toasted on the grill) with an ice cold beverage.

Made these bad boys last night--so good.

_

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Lol...there's a BIG difference between cooked safely, and cooked to death. Honestly, it takes no more time, effort, or money to cook well than it does to put out crap. Not trying to be harsh, but I don't understand asking for advice here, getting some good info, then totally ignoring it and ruining all your ingredients. Have you TASTED what you made? (hint: it's not going to get any better after reheating it, just the opposite).
    Trichinella is killed at 137 degrees. In one of the restaurants where I worked, the chef would have us pull pork out of the oven at exactly 140 degrees. That way, we have a three degree margin for error. Plus, whilst resting, the meat's internal temperature will rise another five degrees or so.

But, for sausage and any other forcemeat (where the meat is ground and the bacteria dispersed throughout the product), you'd want to cook it to 155 degrees.

For the inexperienced cook, the best cooking method for sausage would be to place it in a skillet with white wine or beer, some sliced onion (maybe a few sprigs of fresh thyme), then cover and cook almost through to temperature. Then, after draining, you can finish them on the grill for color, snap and flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Trichinella is killed at 137 degrees. In one of the restaurants where I worked, the chef would have us pull pork out of the oven at exactly 140 degrees. That way, we have a three degree margin for error. Plus, whilst resting, the meat's internal temperature will rise another five degrees or so.

But, for sausage and any other forcemeat (where the meat is ground and the bacteria dispersed throughout the product), you'd want to cook it to 155 degrees.

For the inexperienced cook, the best cooking method for sausage would be to place it in a skillet with white wine or beer, some sliced onion (maybe a few sprigs of fresh thyme), then cover and cook almost through to temperature. Then, after draining, you can finish them on the grill for color, snap and flavor.
    Great advice. Although I'm comfortable cooking on a grill from raw, I have a close friend who was the CEO of Oscar Meyer, and he always championed the poach/steam first method, before frying or grilling. Needless to say, the man knows sausage. (As do you clearly)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    HAHAHAHA

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Sausages, liverwurst, hotdogs it's the lower rung but it sure tastes good when you buy the proper ingredients and make it correctly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Really, you cooked it in the oven for AN HOUR? Damn dude, you cooked it to death. Not to mention you'll have to cook it anouther 20 minutes to get it hot again. Your veggies will be like mush and your meat nice an dry and chewy. Sorry. Really.

No offense man, but you're really coming across as an ass hole in this thread. What the ****?

I tasted it last night, and this morning, and it was awesome.

So GFY.

Bunch of f ucking food snobs in this thread.

I have to admit suprise at the comments regarding a dislike of S&P/O with Red Sauce.

Way it was always served in my youth was a very saucy dish where the primary ingredients were effectively simmer-cooked low and slow for hours in the bath of high-quality marinara.

Not saying S&P/O without sauce would be bad, on the contrary, I cook many a sausage dish without any form of sauce per se. Just suprised that for this dish some are so against the sauced version.

I'll have to give Mr. Stokes recipie a go then, as it looks quite remarkable and quite worthwhile. Always room for new ways to do things.
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.

No offense man, but you're really coming across as an ass hole in this thread. What the ****?

So GFY.

No offense intended. If it tastes good to you, that's what matters.

All League

So GFY.

+1

I am Hampur, hear me roar.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So GFY.

Asks hampur for advice.

Thread goes comically wrong at his expense.

Panties creep up butt crack.

TGIF.

The tags for this thread, as always, are hilarious.

Hang in there Fish, don't let 'em see you sweat.

Hall Of Fame
    No offense man, but you're really coming across as an ass hole .
    I wish I invented the "no offense but" phrase that gives you a free pass for calling someone an obscenity. Whoever invented it was a crafty ba$tard.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Sausage, peas, and potatoes is good too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I wish I invented the "no offense but" phrase that gives you a free pass for calling someone an obscenity. Whoever invented it was a crafty ba$tard.
    "Pardon my French, but you're an ass hole!"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    +1

I am Hampur, hear me roar.
    Lmao!

I think Fish doesn't understands the overwrought Italian emotionalism.

He asked for food advice, got it from over-wroughtly emotional Italians, then ignored it and promptly prepared sausage and veggie tidbits that a sleepy chimp, with no computer and a shopping bag full of various crap, could have come up with.

As a donkey, I love seeing thick skulled poles and yelling Italians go bananas.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

And we got a "no offense" in response to a "I don't mean to be harsh". We should stickie a list of "qualifiers".

The one you'd love to hear is "I'm not a slut, but...."

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Stop that! It's a PLUS model.

It's hopeless; poor Fish.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    LOL