Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make sausage & peppers

Veteran
    Sorry to hear all that, Fish. Hope the day doesn't go as badly as you think it will.

My way of coping with unpleasantness is to always think about when it will be all over. Then I realize that for only X number of hours, I can deal with the crap.
    So, if they're here for today only, think "At 8 pm tonight, they'll all be gone and I'll be back in my chair having a beer with no crazy relatives around."
    It helps me a lot to think like that.

Oh, and this thread . . .
    LOL

- the recipe advice turmoil
    - green not knowing it's Mother's Day
    - the Kenmore of it all
    - ski mask revival
    - crossfire's Mr. Death

If, at the end, if the sausage/peppers are enjoyed by the Fish relatives, then it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lmao!

I think Fish doesn't understands the overwrought Italian emotionalism.

He asked for food advice, got it from over-wroughtly emotional Italians, then ignored it and promptly prepared sausage and veggie tidbits that a sleepy chimp, with no computer and a shopping bag full of various crap, could have come up with.

As a donkey, I love seeing thick skulled poles and yelling Italians go bananas.

-
    +1 to this. Hours of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

It's been a long time since I had a Saranac Kolsch; why don't they sell this year round? Heartless f ucks.
    I just saw Saranac's annual Beers of Summer Sampler yesterday at my distributor. First thing I checked was if they still included the Kolsch. Even if they didn't sell it all year, I would settle for being able to buy the Kolsch in sixes during the Summer. What an awesome brew.

Whilst perusing beers, I also bought a six of River Horse Summer Blonde Ale. Very nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    For the beginner?

Step #1: Go to your local high-tier Mega-Foodmart, and procure yourself one to three bottles of your favorite ultra-premium sauce, 2-4 each of red peppers, green pepper and 1-2 large onions (I like vidalia for it's sweetness). Suggest less spicy and more basic sauces, as the veg and sausage are the stars here.

Step #2: On the way home, stop by your local Italian Butcher and aquire yourself an appropriate amount of Hot/Sweet Italian Sausage. I prefer hot.

Step #3: In a frying fan, give the sausages (whole/thawed) a quick browning on all sides. They will not be cooked through, only some carmelization on the outsides.

Step #4: In a large pot, combine sauce, slices pepper and onions, and browned sausage. Simmer for a few hours (minimum till the vegetation is nicely soft and pliant, as you'd expect).

Step #5: Serve with pasta and/or crusty bread.

It's not elite by far, but any doofus can do it, and it comes out great every time.
    I worked in an Italian pork store for 10 years as a young kid from 12 to 22. This is how we did it. EXCEPT...we boiled the sausage for a few minutes, to cook it through. THEN browned it in a skillet with the peppers and onions with a little oil and some spices. THEN..into the pot to simmer.

Sounds like the difference is commercially,mew were cooking 25 to 50 lbs worth so the slower simmer wasn't as efficient.

Jets Insider VIP
    I have to admit suprise at the comments regarding a dislike of S&P/O with Red Sauce.

Way it was always served in my youth was a very saucy dish where the primary ingredients were effectively simmer-cooked low and slow for hours in the bath of high-quality marinara.

Not saying S&P/O without sauce would be bad, on the contrary, I cook many a sausage dish without any form of sauce per se. Just suprised that for this dish some are so against the sauced version.

I'll have to give Mr. Stokes recipie a go then, as it looks quite remarkable and quite worthwhile. Always room for new ways to do things.
    German style. Vs Italian style.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I worked in an Italian pork store for 10 years as a young kid from 12 to 22. This is how we did it. EXCEPT...we boiled the sausage for a few minutes, to cook it through. THEN browned it in a skillet with the peppers and onions with a little oil and some spices. THEN..into the pot to simmer.

Sounds like the difference is commercially,mew were cooking 25 to 50 lbs worth so the slower simmer wasn't as efficient.
    Some like the stewed style of veggies so slow cooking works. Others (like me) prefer crisp tender veggies, so a quick stir fry or saute is the way to go. I want my peppers to have some bite left to them. The onions can be caramelized , however. Just preference is all.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

In north cackalaki,

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    In north cackalaki,
    Long Island NY...when the Italians were off the boat or 1 st generation.

Aye, makes sense.

I'll be honest, I sometimes like to simply de-case the sausage, crumble it, and fry it up in a frying pan till nicely browned with a red pepper and a half-onion, and only toss it in simmering red sauce right at the end. You get a more carmelized flavor from the friend sausage/veg and it's done in no time flat. Since I generally cook this only for myself (not a group), the fast version is often best.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Long Island NY...when the Italians were off the boat or 1 st generation.
    I know your not from down there, lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Aye, makes sense.

I'll be honest, I sometimes like to simply de-case the sausage, crumble it, and fry it up in a frying pan till nicely browned with a red pepper and a half-onion, and only toss it in simmering red sauce right at the end, that's why it's still called sauce and not gravy.
    Fixed.

Bewildered Beast
    Concerned about the term "friend sausage"...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Sorry to hear all that, Fish. Hope the day doesn't go as badly as you think it will.

My way of coping with unpleasantness is to always think about when it will be all over. Then I realize that for only X number of hours, I can deal with the crap.
    So, if they're here for today only, think "At 8 pm tonight, they'll all be gone and I'll be back in my chair having a beer with no crazy relatives around."
    It helps me a lot to think like that.

Oh, and this thread . . .
    LOL

- the recipe advice turmoil
    - green not knowing it's Mother's Day
    - the Kenmore of it all
    - ski mask revival
    - crossfire's Mr. Death

If, at the end, if the sausage/peppers are enjoyed by the Fish relatives, then it's all good!

Every now and then one must fall on their sword for the good of the Hampur. This thread was an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    +1 to this. Hours of fun

Aye, today was the perfect example.
    It was a total cluster**** with the weather and what not, and I have other tales to add to this thread, but Im too drunk to go into it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I just saw Saranac's annual Beers of Summer Sampler yesterday at my distributor. First thing I checked was if they still included the Kolsch. Even if they didn't sell it all year, I would settle for being able to buy the Kolsch in sixes during the Summer. What an awesome brew.

Before the inmates overran the asylum, I cherry-picked my favorite beers, and stuck them in the opaque crisper drawer; no one ever looks in there.

Needless to say my other two Kolschs are in there; time to kick back with some Skyrim and zero responsibilities tomorrow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Also I was glad to see that thunderc unt Mother Nature was lenient on me, we only had some downpours from 2-4 pm, but the rest of the day turned out pretty nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Intrigued about the term "friend sausage"...

fixed.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    fixed.
    DADBLAMIT

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Concerned about the term "friend sausage"...

Isn't it the San Francisco treat?

Jets Insider VIP
    Best Hampur train wreck in a long while.

I can see "the Kenmore of it all" becoming an oft-used derisive comment in here.

Tags are awesomely epic.

9/10

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

I can see "the Kenmore of it all" becoming an oft-used derisive comment in here.

Tags are awesomely epic.

9/10
    "Sausage & paupers." So simple, so hilarious.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

Tags are awesomely epic.

9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    "Sausage & paupers." So simple, so hilarious.
    didn't see that one