Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keyshawn, Farrior, Abraham, Vilma, Moss, Revis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Farrier was a huge disappointment up until his contract year which was solid rather than spectacular.When you think we passed up on Orlando Pace for him.

Abraham was likely only a Jet because we traded Keyshawn n the first place
    Who then was turned into Nick Mangold....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    If thats how you wish to view them, by all means, do so.
    I'm not saying any one of those moves were right or wrong. Or that I would or wouldn't have done them... I'm saying - That's the NFL. Every franchise has those kinds scenarios unfold as they try to manage talent, character, scheme and money. They all have to be accounted for, and risks have to be taken.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-T-S-Jets View Post
    What do all of these guys have in common? Very impactful former 1st rounders who have been long term starters. They are also guys that Woody didn't want to pay. Usually when teams dump 1st rounders its because they are busts. Not the New York Jets!
    Keyshawn was traded for 2 first rounders, one of whom I think became Abe.

Abe was a bit older, and was missed, but became Mangold.

Vilma did not fit the new defense at all.

Revis wants 16 million dollars a year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    I'm not saying he is cheap. I'm saying it was a money decision to let those players go. One thing you cannot dispute is you do need play makers on your team and for some reason the Jets always seem to let them go at the wrong time. We let go players in their prime and most of the time we never get the same value back. I'm not saying the players we pick are bad but the loss of key players hurts for a long time.
    Were those decisions made by Woody? Or were they made by the GMs?

Because in the NFL, there is a salary floor, and Woody has always spent far above that. It's not being cheap, there is no cheap. The team is always spent to the cap.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Who then was turned into Nick Mangold....
    Don't forget that the guy that started this thread also made a comment that Mangold was blowing someone for his roster spot.

This whole thread is a dump.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    We let Keyshawn go because he was not a playmaker type receiver we thought he was and his mouth wasn't worth the trouble for a possession receiver.

Moss was traded for Coles because the Jets felt Coles was a better fit and had better chemistry with Chad Pennington.

Farrior wasn't that special.

Vilma and Abraham, did not fit well in our 3-4 defense scheme at the time..

And Revis is coming off a serious injury and wants QB money.
    Abe played in the 3-4 under Groh had 4 and 1/2 sacks in 6 games until he got a hernia and needed surgery.. One of those sacks caused a fumble that helped seal the Tampa bay win..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Abe played in the 3-4 under Groh had 4 and 1/2 sacks in 6 games until he got a hernia and needed surgery.. One of those sacks caused a fumble that helped seal the Tampa bay win..
    The key term in your post was hernia.

Abraham was a fragile player for the Jets.

Don't get me started about how he would disappear against left tackle talent.

The guy racked up impressive stats against sub par competition.

You will find the same comments on Falcons forums.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    The key term in your post was hernia.

Abraham was a fragile player for the Jets.

Don't get me started about how he would disappear against left tackle talent.

The guy racked up impressive stats against sub par competition.

You will find the same comments on Falcons forums.
    So all 122 of his sacks was against sub par competition?? I agree durable he was not but your way over the top with your sub par assessment.. BTW doesn't kali yuga mean age of the demon??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the Jets were unreasonable towards any of those players. And we got fair value for all of them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agreed and well said!
    Thanks. Typed in anger over my iPhone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    we don't keep out own talent, yet always complain that we don't draft talent and look to buy talent! Bottom line is we were worst off after letting almost each and every one of those guys

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-T-S-Jets View Post
    What do all of these guys have in common? Very impactful former 1st rounders who have been long term starters. They are also guys that Woody didn't want to pay. Usually when teams dump 1st rounders its because they are busts. Not the New York Jets!
    Brick, and Mangold say hello. Longtime high quality starters that were resigned/extended.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Were those decisions made by Woody? Or were they made by the GMs?

Because in the NFL, there is a salary floor, and Woody has always spent far above that. It's not being cheap, there is no cheap. The team is always spent to the cap.
    GMs made the decisions , good call.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Revis wanted too much and no one will pay him what he wants, he'll never see that contract through the end of it's life. Woody paid him millions, more than any corner ever. Hard to blame him for the trade.

Farrior was gone before Woody was the owner here.

Parcells got rid of Keyshawn because he didn't want Groh to be burdened with the nonsense he was going to bring. He had a contract and didn't didn't have to be traded that year.

Vilma was traded because he didn't fit Manginis 3-4 D, had nothing to do with money.

Abraham was traded for 2 number 1's. I'd do it again.

You're argument is misplaced
    Please don't let comon sense intrude on the garbage posted to start this idiotic thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have a point with Keyshawn and Farrior, but Abraham was a turd and getting Mangold for him was an upgrade, Moss I liked as well, but Coles worked well with Pennington and he performed well here for quite a few years, and Vilma didn't fit into a 34 scheme whatsoever - and we all know trading Revis was a must. No winning team pays a CB $16M per year. He'll never win a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i think it has a lot do with the short sightedness of our management. they don't plan for the future and it ends up costing them the few guys that they actually draft and develop that are good. i think a lot has to do with the fact that, especially in NY, there is no future, its all about NOW!
    That's part of it, also sacrificing depth for a few big expensive names. Looks like we're turning the corner on that with Itzik however. We're one draft away from having a very solid team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    why is this thread still here and not sent where it belonged in the first place?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Keyshawn and Abraham trades made the team better. They were god football moves.

Farrior wasn't about money. He had underwhelmed as a player until his last year, and the Jets decided (incorrectly, it turned out) to pay Sam Cowart instead. Bad football decision. Money was irrelevant.

Vilma was a coaching decision. He was a bad fit in the defensive scheme. Money had nothing to do with his departure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Farrior was gone before Woody was the owner here.
    Incorrect. Terry Bradway, talent-evaluating genius that he is, opted to let Farrior walk in favor of signing sam cowart. Woody was your owner at that time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Incorrect. Terry Bradway, talent-evaluating genius that he is, opted to let Farrior walk in favor of signing sam cowart. Woody was your owner at that time.
    Could be. Thought Parcells let him go while Leon still owned the team.

Still, he was allowed to leave as a FA because he didn't perform well here.