JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

we desperately need to get older and slower
    Is that why David Garrard was signed?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I'm convinced our fan base is the only fan base in all of sports that loves their washed up goods/retreads and wants them all to be re-signed at some point in their career. For whatever reason a good number of people in our fan base can't move on and accept that what's gone is gone and should remain that way.

If Vernon Gholston wanted to make an NFL return there would be fans pounding on the table for us to re-sign him.
    No, not Gholston. Jets fans typically hate their top draft picks even if they're good. It's the late rounders that play marginally well and occassionally do something good that are suddenly HUGE losses when some other team grossly overpays for them. I can assure you both SEA and BUF regret the contracts they gave to Washington and Smith, but somehow they were huge losses for us.

It's like this-

Kyle Williams=Awful, sucks, cut him tomorrow
    Dwight Lowery=ZOMG!!!! How could we let him go!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    No, not Gholston. Jets fans typically hate their top draft picks even if they're good. It's the late rounders that play marginally well and occassionally do something good that are suddenly HUGE losses when some other team grossly overpays for them. I can assure you both SEA and BUF regret the contracts they gave to Washington and Smith, but somehow they were huge losses for us.

It's like this-

It's not mutually exclusive. They can be a huge loss for us and also not worth what they got from their new team.

Brad Smith *was* a huge loss. As much as people liked to whine about how he was used, his proficiency in the wildcat moved the chains and covered up for Sanchez's lack of accuracy/efficiency more than anyone realized at the time. (Remember the Thanksgiving game vs. Cincy he won almost single-handedly; we might well have missed the playoffs without that win.) He was also an elite kick returner and a great special teamer.

In the role/salary slot he occupied, he was a massive, massive loss. Which was why we made the absurd decision to try and sign Tebow to replace him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    It's not mutually exclusive. They can be a huge loss for us and also not worth what they got from their new team.

Brad Smith *was* a huge loss. As much as people liked to whine about how he was used, his proficiency in the wildcat moved the chains and covered up for Sanchez's lack of accuracy/efficiency more than anyone realized at the time. (Remember the Thanksgiving game vs. Cincy he won almost single-handedly; we might well have missed the playoffs without that win.) He was also an elite kick returner and a great special teamer.

In the role/salary slot he occupied, he was a massive, massive loss. Which was why we made the absurd decision to try and sign Tebow to replace him.
    Disagree ... If you need a player occupying a roster spot to cover for your Franchise QB , you have big problems that need correcting.

Smith was a decent athlete/special teams guy and gimmick player. Nothing more.

Cro was just as good on ST.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Disagree ... If you need a player occupying a roster spot to cover for your Franchise QB , you have big problems that need correcting.

Smith was a decent athlete/special teams guy and gimmick player. Nothing more.

Cro was just as good on ST.
    We made the AFCCG with Sanchez, so I'd say that having a guy who was also an elite special-teamer who happened to lighten Mark's load was a very good thing for the franchise. Again, we probably would have missed the playoffs in 2010 if we'd lost that Cincy game on Thanksgiving (Mark was attrocious in that game) and Smith was the reason we won it.

The occupying a roster spot argument is silly, because Smith's return and coverage abilities also clearly merited a roster spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    We made the AFCCG with Sanchez, so I'd say that having a guy who was also an elite special-teamer who happened to lighten Mark's load was a very good thing for the franchise. Again, we probably would have missed the playoffs in 2010 if we'd lost that Cincy game on Thanksgiving (Mark was attrocious in that game) and Smith was the reason we won it.

The occupying a roster spot argument is silly, because Smith's return and coverage abilities also clearly merited a roster spot.
    Well have to agree to disagree.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm convinced our fan base is the only fan base in all of sports that loves their washed up goods/retreads and wants them all to be re-signed at some point in their career. For whatever reason a good number of people in our fan base can't move on and accept that what's gone is gone and should remain that way.

If Vernon Gholston wanted to make an NFL return there would be fans pounding on the table for us to re-sign him.
    Is Bitonti back?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post

It's like this-

UDFA are even more valuable.

Clowney was the next Rice and Ratliff was a find just like Romo.

Guys like TV are were the next great thing while waiting in the wings

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

WHY would this be such a bad option in your opinion? I mean what could possibly be the harm?

As was already mentioned the Bills are on the hook for the bulk of his salary. That probably means we get him at vet min. He's still only 29 and certainly not old like so many in thread are trying to pass him off as.

He was a GREAT role player for us that supplemented our offense quite a bit in 2009 and 2010. He's home grown talent. He's coming back to a ST's system that he is already familiar with.

WTF is the problem?

There's no way the Jets could lose from picking him up. NONE.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously how many punt/kickoff returners do we really need?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    WHY would this be such a bad option in your opinion? I mean what could possibly be the harm?

As was already mentioned the Bills are on the hook for the bulk of his salary. That probably means we get him at vet min. He's still only 29 and certainly not old like so many in thread are trying to pass him off as.

He was a GREAT role player for us that supplemented our offense quite a bit in 2009 and 2010. He's home grown talent. He's coming back to a ST's system that he is already familiar with.

WTF is the problem?
    There's no way the Jets could lose from picking him up. NONE.
    Because some people do not understand role players with talent that fit in a system and have ablity to make plays when called upon.

Smith instantly fits in as a 5th or 6th WR, punt protector that can get a 1st down if tried, kickoff coverage and return team and a vet for the locker room.

For the vet min, can't go wrong with him coming back...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would anyone argue against bringing in a Brad Smith?

He fills a number of back up roles and a few lead roles. At no cost other than a roster spot and minimal $$.

It's not like he was here stealing money with little return in his initial go round with the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith at a discounted price would be a great signing.

I'd actually prefer this to Josh Cribbs, since Smith is nearly as capable as Cribbs as a kick returner, and more useful as a backup WR than Cribbs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I vote sign him if he gets cut.
    I concur- his versatility as a receiver/fake passer can help provide some variety to our offense. Plus, he's a beastly returner- remember the one-socked TD against Cincy?? That would make McKnight expendable since Goodson and Ivory are both proven and Powell still has room to improve.

And, since some of you have an obsession with every move the Pats make, Leon Washington was one of my favorites- I was enraged when we traded him and drafted McKnight- I even casually followed the Seahawks his first year there but now that he is on the Patriots, I have no idea who he is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see no reason to bring Smith back. He has no skills at WR, and was a half way decent kick returner and of course the wild cat, which will have no place in MM's offense. We have a great KR in McKnight, so there is no reason to even wast our time with him. Great guy though, and I wish him the best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I consider it a weakness of the Jets fanbase that they only remember the bad about players instead of remembering the good as well. That includes players on the current roster. In my own mind you're not only as good as your last play or even your last whole year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    [/B]

Not only that, he's a great on kickoff coverage too + is a pro's pro, always come ready to work, is in great shape (won off season conditioning award as a Jet), would also be a fantastic locker room presence for a young team with little leadership... Hard not to like the guy.
    This guy was a fine player and contributor for the Jets. If he's fit and game ready and cheap, give him to MM and let him work his magic.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    how did that work out for the bills...smith is a good player and I cannot truly recall him making any big plays for them...he did squat when the bills played the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I miss Smith ... and Washington

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am the fan of the team and the logo....when a player goes...I don't follow him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    how is he going to crush us....when was the last time we even gave up a kick return.....get real..my goodness he goes to the patriots and now he is going to crush us......give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    Leon Washington is going to crush us when we play against him (and the Patriots), especially considering we have a new ST coach. I predict he's going to have at least 1 ST TD against us this season.