Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Woodson for safety?

Charles Woodson for safety?

If Idzik has cap room left for one veteran after signing the draft picks, I'd give serious consideration to Woodson to play free safety, with Dawan Landry and Antonio Allen playing in-the-box SS. I think this would shore up the only glaring weak spot on the defense.

anything left in the tank?

Pass we are building for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    +1

If we're going to sign a vet, it's going to be a WR.

Charles Woodson wants to play for a team on the cusp of a championship. I think he'd rather retire than sign onto a rebuilding project that will get him nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    That's what I wonder about. He's been in the league a long time now, maybe his play has fallen off sharply. He may not be worth it.

Andrew Brandt posted on Twitter a few days ago that you won't see most veteran free agents signed until right before training camp. He said it's not because they don't have offers, but because they don't want to go to OTAs and mini-camps.

They only sign now if it's an offer that they don't think will be on the table in July.

I think Woodson already knows where he'll be next year, he's just going to enjoy his free time for another couple of months.

Jets Insider VIP
    I guess nobody saw him get burnt to a crisp in the last postseason

no need to get older and slower at this juncture

Woodson probably has a good season left. But I'd question his sanity if he chose to spend that final good year with this team, considering all the unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I guess nobody saw him get burnt to a crisp in the last postseason

no need to get older and slower at this juncture
    He's not currently on the Jets' roster, therefore much better than any player you could possibly imagine.

1-He isn't signing for peanuts.
    2-He wants to play for a contender.

Both negate any chance of him coming to the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    so much for that theory....

Charles Woodson is willing to join a rebuilding effort
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 9, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
    Woodson AP

After the Packers released veteran defensive back Charles Woodson, Woodson said he wanted to play for a contender. With no contenders biting, Woodson has lowered his sights.

“When this process first started out, that was my thing, I needed to go to a contender,” Woodson said Thursday on NFL Network. “I know I am towards the end of my career. At this point, I want to play football. So if it is a rebuilding stage, at this point if that is the circumstances I have to play under, then that is what I am going to do.”

The contending team that showed the most interest in Woodson — the 49ers — signed safety Craig Dahl and traded up to draft Eric Reid.

Still, Woodson can’t understand why he and other thirtysomething players can’t find work.

“It is kind of the process, but at the same time it is frustrating,” Woodson said. “You have guys that can flat out play football. You look at Dwight Freeney and what he is able to do. They had a system last year that is different than he is used to playing, but he can play football. John Abraham, he led his team in sacks and you say, ‘We don’t have a spot for you on our roster?’ I can’t understand that. Myself, I am just a ballplayer. I need to be on a team.”

The issue for most aging players is money. Stars who have earned millions in the past suddenly face investing the same effort and risk and time for far less money. And it necessarily takes time for the players to come to terms with their new circumstances.

Woodson’s comments prove that the approach works. Eventually, the players will take what they can get, when they can get it. Wherever they can get it.

Sure, some will choose to not play at all if playing means playing for peanuts. But plenty will decide that it’s better to get paid not much to play football than to get paid nothing to not play.

Woodson was quoted on PFT yesterday stating that he wouldn't mind playing for a team that was rebuilding .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Woodson was quoted on PFT yesterday stating that he wouldn't mind playing for a team that was rebuilding .
    And can you think of a better available mentor for Milliner?

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    Totally agree. Woodson would be a great add-on if we were "this close" to a title, which we aren't. Need to see if Bush and Allen can play on this level.There's only one way to do that, and it's not by bringing in vets.No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    And can you think of a better available mentor for Milliner?
    Pluses and minuses ... Mentoring Dee ... Huge plus ... Need to see Bush and. Allen huge minus.

Since we are not winning anything next year I'd prefer to see what the youngsters have.

If it's a one-year deal(ONLY), I'd take a flier on him to see if he has anything left.

Of course he's not going to publicly narrow his options. He needs those non-contender offers to use as a bargaining chip to try and get the contenders to shell out a little more than veteran minimum.

Because, except for SF a month or so ago, no other team has expressed much interest in him. He said so on this weeks Rich Eisen podcast. He thinks its because of his age and shoulder injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    not too much