Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: O dept. : Marty Ball ! !

Hall Of Fame
    As a fourth-year NFL player, Austin Howard has had his fair share of interviews. This year, however, he’s taking his media involvement to a new level, as the interviewee becomes the interviewer.

Howard will alternate weeks with Nick Bellore in hosting Jets Huddle, airing Saturday nights at 11:35 p.m. ET on WCBS Channel 2. The “rookie” has some journalism background as a public relations minor at Northern Iowa, but he’s still learning some techniques to perfect his craft of asking questions.

“You have to think about what you can say to engage them and how they’re responding to your questions, and anticipate what their reaction’s going to be," he said.

Despite a learning curve, the 26-year-old tackle finds that the many different personalities and interests of players on the team make the job easy and fun.

“I know a lot of my teammates as they are here at work,” he said, “but it’s very hard to go out and spend time with each individual teammate you have, and I think this gives me the opportunity to do so. In addition, it will help me work on public speaking and talking on camera.”

Bellore, back for his second stint as co-host of Jets Huddle, shared Austin’s sentiment that getting to learn a little bit about the 60 other players on the roster has turned out to be the best part of the job.

“You may not be near them in the locker room or on the same side of the ball as them,” the linebacker and special teams player said, “but getting to learn about their upbringing, their football experiences and their off-the-field experiences, I think it’s pretty cool and a fun way to get to know your teammates.”

Might this Jets Huddle involvement serve as a prequel to Howard’s post-football aspirations as an on-air talent?

“I don’t know because, surprisingly, I really hate the sound of my own voice,” he admitted. “I rarely will watch anything that I’m speaking in. So my fiancée and my parents and my family will watch it, and I’ll kind of just ask how I did. I think I might DVR them, but it might take me a little bit before I actually can watch the shows.”

We promise he’s being too critical of himself, as he has a face for TV and a voice for radio.

You can study a roster and learn the heights, weights, jersey numbers, positions, and seemingly everything else about a football player, but on Saturday nights, Howard said, "You'll get to know these players as real people."

Whether you join Austin Howard in recording the show and watching it at a different time or you’re up late the night before a big game and just can’t get enough of Green & White football, be sure to tune in to CBS for Jets Huddle and learn everything there is to know about your 2013 New York Jets.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-f43550ded5e9

Hall Of Fame
    Mark Sanchez is out of the picture until November, but Geno Smith is still auditioning for the New York Jets starting quarterback job.Sanchez was placed on short-term injured reserve Saturday, meaning he's not eligible to return for eight weeks. But Smith said Monday he's been given no indication he will continue to be the starting QB beyond the Jets' upcoming game against the Buffalo Bills.

"No, [but] like I’ve always said, I take things day by day," Smith said after practice. "I’m not looking ahead. I’m only focused on taking it one day at a time."

Would he like more of a commitment from the team?

"Well, I mean of course you would," Smith said. "But in this situation, you gotta play the cards that you’re dealt. In my own personal time here, I think I’ve been treated fairly well, and I think I’ve been given a great chance, a great opportunity. And I got an opportunity this week once again to prove myself."

Head coach Rex Ryan defended the decision to leave the quarterback job open beyond Week 3.

"I think you get in trouble when you put dates and all that kind of stuff on things, instead of just focus on the one week," Ryan said. "That’s for our [whole] team -- we want everybody to make sure that they understand, this is where our focus is, it’s not going past one week.

"I think if you look down the road, you don’t take care of your business. And so with us, everything we do is focused on Buffalo, and that’s where it should be."

Smith, whom the team drafted in the second round this spring out of West Virginia, piloted the Jets to a Week 1 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in his NFL debut. He wasn't as good in a Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots last Thursday, completing just 15 of 35 passes for 214 yards, with three interceptions -- all thrown in the fourth quarter.

The rookie said it took him "about a day" to get over the loss to the Pats, but now he's looking forward.

"I’ve moved on from it, still confident, and prepared for this upcoming week," he said.

He also admitted that his right ankle, which he rolled in the Jets' first preseason game back in August, hasn't fully healed yet.

"It’s getting there, day by day," Smith said. "Not quite 100 [percent] yet, but it'll be there soon."

The Jets don't have very attractive options at quarterback beyond Smith. Matt Simms, currently listed as the backup, has never played in an NFL regular-season game, and the third-stringer is journeyman Brady Quinn.

But ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Sunday that Simms has some supporters within the Jets organization.

Smith responded to that in an interview on ESPN NY 98.7 FM later Monday .

"Adam’s doing his job, and I’m pretty sure whatever he put out there, he probably got some information," Smith said. "But I can tell you one thing. Within this organization, from my coaches right down to [GM] John [Idzik], Rex, all those guys -- I don’t think they would have brought me in here if they didn’t see the potential in me."

"Matt, I think is a really good quarterback," Smith added. "But I think I’m the guy for the job."

As for Sanchez, he told NFL Network last week that he beat out Smith in their training-camp competition, prior to injuring his shoulder. Smith was asked about those comments as well.

"That’s his opinion," Smith said. "I think neither Mark nor I make that decision; the coaches do. It would have been interesting to see.

"He did get hurt, and that did play a role in it. But I think I was right there in it, and it would have been interesting to see who they would have decided on."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...till-up-in-air

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Mark Sanchez is out of the picture until November, but Geno Smith is still auditioning for the New York Jets starting quarterback job.Sanchez was placed on short-term injured reserve Saturday, meaning he's not eligible to return for eight weeks. But Smith said Monday he's been given no indication he will continue to be the starting QB beyond the Jets' upcoming game against the Buffalo Bills.

"No, [but] like I’ve always said, I take things day by day," Smith said after practice. "I’m not looking ahead. I’m only focused on taking it one day at a time."

Would he like more of a commitment from the team?

"Well, I mean of course you would," Smith said. "But in this situation, you gotta play the cards that you’re dealt. In my own personal time here, I think I’ve been treated fairly well, and I think I’ve been given a great chance, a great opportunity. And I got an opportunity this week once again to prove myself."

Head coach Rex Ryan defended the decision to leave the quarterback job open beyond Week 3.

"I think you get in trouble when you put dates and all that kind of stuff on things, instead of just focus on the one week," Ryan said. "That’s for our [whole] team -- we want everybody to make sure that they understand, this is where our focus is, it’s not going past one week.

"I think if you look down the road, you don’t take care of your business. And so with us, everything we do is focused on Buffalo, and that’s where it should be."

Smith, whom the team drafted in the second round this spring out of West Virginia, piloted the Jets to a Week 1 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in his NFL debut. He wasn't as good in a Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots last Thursday, completing just 15 of 35 passes for 214 yards, with three interceptions -- all thrown in the fourth quarter.

The rookie said it took him "about a day" to get over the loss to the Pats, but now he's looking forward.

"I’ve moved on from it, still confident, and prepared for this upcoming week," he said.

He also admitted that his right ankle, which he rolled in the Jets' first preseason game back in August, hasn't fully healed yet.

"It’s getting there, day by day," Smith said. "Not quite 100 [percent] yet, but it'll be there soon."

The Jets don't have very attractive options at quarterback beyond Smith. Matt Simms, currently listed as the backup, has never played in an NFL regular-season game, and the third-stringer is journeyman Brady Quinn.

But ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Sunday that Simms has some supporters within the Jets organization.

Smith responded to that in an interview on ESPN NY 98.7 FM later Monday .

"Adam’s doing his job, and I’m pretty sure whatever he put out there, he probably got some information," Smith said. "But I can tell you one thing. Within this organization, from my coaches right down to [GM] John [Idzik], Rex, all those guys -- I don’t think they would have brought me in here if they didn’t see the potential in me."

"Matt, I think is a really good quarterback," Smith added. "But I think I’m the guy for the job."

As for Sanchez, he told NFL Network last week that he beat out Smith in their training-camp competition, prior to injuring his shoulder. Smith was asked about those comments as well.

"That’s his opinion," Smith said. "I think neither Mark nor I make that decision; the coaches do. It would have been interesting to see.

"He did get hurt, and that did play a role in it. But I think I was right there in it, and it would have been interesting to see who they would have decided on."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...till-up-in-air
    I agree for the time being. It is still Geno time.

simms had a better pre season than either sanchez or smith. granted it was against the scrubs but still, those scrubs are going all out to try and make the team whereas the starters are going through the motions. right now geno hasn't done anything that warrants simms or even quinn taking over. however if he has another game like thursday's in good weather then a change really needs to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I agree for the time being. It is still Geno time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    simms had a better pre season than either sanchez or smith. granted it was against the scrubs but still, those scrubs are going all out to try and make the team whereas the starters are going through the motions. right now geno hasn't done anything that warrants simms or even quinn taking over. however if he has another game like thursday's in good weather then a change really needs to be considered.
    agreed !..he's the man for now, of course...things could change down the road

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    Not only are those scrubs competing for a job, but his O-line consisted of those very same scrubs, thus he was running for his life on most passing attempts, yet he still had great success.

Hall Of Fame
    Our O-linemen will have their work cut out for them this week as DE Mario Williams and the Buffalo Bills come to town.

Williams brought Panthers QB Cam Newton to the ground for 4.5 sacks in Week 2, surpassing Pro Football Hall of Famer Bruce Smith for the club’s single-game record and vaulting him to the top of the NFL leaderboard in sacks for this young season.“He’s just the same old Mario Williams,” T Austin Howard said after watching film of Buffalo’s final-seconds 24-23 win over Carolina. “He’s a speed-rush guy, but he also has good power. He kind of has it all.”

Super Mario looked more like Luigi in two games vs. the Green & White last season with no sacks and four tackles. Protecting QB Geno Smith from the 2006 first-overall pick won’t be our only challenge, though.

“The whole line is very, very talented,” G Vladimir Ducasse said. “We just have to go out there and do what we’re capable of doing. That’s definitely going to be a challenge, but we have the whole week of practice to prepare and figure things out together.”

Vlad seemed to have figured things out on Thursday night when he faced off against Patriots DT Vince Wilfork. On Bilal Powell’s touchdown run, Ducasse made the 325-pound 10-year veteran look like he was gliding backward on rollerblades.

He refused to accept any sort of individual praise, but was very satisfied with what the offensive line as a whole was able to accomplish against Wilfork and the Pats.

“I was just doing my job,” he said. “Most of the time I was working with Nick. It was not so much an individual effort but a group effort.

“There’s still a lot of room for improvement, but as a group, we worked real well together and we definitely took another step. We definitely got it going in the running game.”

RBs Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory combined for 44 yards on 22 carries in Week 1 (2.0 yards per rush), but doubled their production in Week 2 with 100 yards on 25 carries (4.0 yards per rush).

And the trend could continue for the Jets run game this week, as they will have had a week and a half to prepare for a Bills team ranked No. 30 in the NFL with 141.5 rushing yards allowed per game.

Whether the gameplan calls for keeping Williams and Co. away from Geno or driving the four-man Bills front backward and opening up holes for the backs, the men in the trenches will be ready.
    “We know they have a lot of talent up front,” Howard said, “and we really have to study and we really need to focus in this week for preparing to go up against what they deliver. I believe we definitely took advantage of our extra days off this week. Hopefully it will show on Sunday.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-febf33f8e45b

Hall Of Fame
    Clyde Gates made his way through the Jets locker room Monday almost as quickly as he runs down the field. He zipped past reporters and said he did not have time to talk. He grabbed his belongings from his locker and exited.
    Surprisingly, he didn’t drop anything on the way out.
    With three drops against the Patriots, Gates is the latest Jets wide receiver to become the poster child for this team’s biggest problem. Forget Geno Smith, forget the struggles in the running game or Dee Milliner’s mistakes, the No. 1 issue the Jets have is at wide receiver.
    What else is new?
    This is a problem the Jets have had for years. Want to take a guess when the last time a Jets receiver was named All-Pro? Here’s a hint: You were watching VHS tapes and listening to Starship. No Jets receiver since Al Toon in 1986 has earned the honor. Keyshawn Johnson in 1999 is the last one to even make the Pro Bowl.
    The Jets have had some decent receivers in the past decade — Wayne Chrebet, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Laveranues Coles and Santonio Holmes all qualify. But they have not had a game-changer, and it is killing them. It hurt Mark Sanchez severely, and it will do the same to Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel or whoever the Jets quarterback of the future is.
    Everyone talks about the NFL now being a passing league, but it helps to have someone on the receiving end. Take a look at Peyton Manning and Tom Brady right now. Both are among the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game. Manning is thriving with Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Wes Welker running routes for him. Brady? He’s throwing sideline tantrums about the way his inexperienced receivers are playing.
    The 2013 Jets have shown more promise in their first two games than anyone not named Rex predicted. Their defense looks like one of the league’s best, and Smith has shown flashes that he could lead the team.
    But the receivers are dragging the team down. Every one except Jeremy Kerley is playing a slot above where they should be. Holmes at 29 and coming off foot surgery is no longer a No. 1 receiver. Stephen Hill remains raw and should be a No. 3. Gates is a No. 5 at best.
    It would be easy to blast general manager John Idzik and say he should have addressed this issue in the offseason, but there was no easy solution then, and there remains no easy solution now. Idzik inherited a team with salary cap issues and lots of positions that needed help. The Jets could not afford a top receiver in free agency like Mike Wallace (five years, $60 million from the Dolphins) or Greg Jennings (five years, $47.5 million from the Vikings).
    The Jets could have gone the cheaper route and signed Darrius Heyward-Bey (one year, $2.5 million from the Colts) or Donnie Avery (three years, $8.55 million from the Chiefs), but it is questionable just how much that kind of signing would have helped.
    Idzik could not just give up on Hill entering his second season after the Jets used a second-round pick on him in 2012. That left him married to an injured Holmes and a developing Hill.
    The best solution for Idzik came on draft day. The Jets had their fingers crossed that Tavon Austin would fall to them at No. 9, but the Rams snatched him one pick ahead of the Jets. When that happened, the Jets should have traded one of their two first-round picks to move down in the draft and take either DeAndre Hopkins or Cordarrelle Patterson, who both went late in the first round, but finding a trading partner on draft day is not always as simple as picking up the phone.
    Now the Jets are stuck with a half-speed Holmes, a still developing Hill, an ineffective Gates and Kerley, who is the best of the bunch but suffered a concussion in Week 1. It would be hard for Smith, Mark Sanchez or Joe Montana to thrive with this group.
    In 2009, Mike Tannenbaum swung a deal for Edwards after Eric Mangini grew tired of him in Cleveland. Idzik can only hope there is a diva receiver somewhere in the NFL wearing out his welcome who could hit the trade market.
    Otherwise, he better get used to watching games like last Thursday, when his wide receivers did not give the Jets a chance to win.
    Milliner started too soon
    Competition has been the catch word of the John Idzik regime with the Jets. But the team’s decision makers look like total hypocrites when it comes to rookie cornerback Dee Milliner.
    Milliner did nothing to earn his starting job other than being drafted No. 9 overall. He spent the entire spring on the sideline, recovering from shoulder surgery, then showed up to training camp a week late after a contract holdout.
    Nevertheless, coach Rex Ryan handed Milliner the starting job, with the general manager’s blessing, presumably.
    Now Milliner is struggling, and Ryan benched him against the Patriots. Well, Milliner probably should not be starting in the first place. Ryan said Kyle Wilson had the best offseason of his career and Darrin Walls emerged in the spring as a useful corner. Yet, both were pushed aside when Milliner showed up in Cortland.
    Ryan should have put Milliner at the bottom of the depth chart and let him earn his role. That’s what competition is about, isn’t it?

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/18/jets-co...he-ball-at-wr/

Hall Of Fame
    A weekly analysis of the New York Jets' quarterback play.

Rewind: Geno Smith would rather not rewind last week's game, but we will. Smith, trying to become the first rookie quarterback to beat a Bill Belichick-coached team in Foxborough, was decent through three quarters. But that's never good enough to beat a team like the Patriots. Eventually, Smith cracked, throwing three interceptions in the fourth quarter. We predicted at least two turnovers -- an interceptions and a strip sack. He avoided the latter. Hey, it's a baby step.

Fast-forward: The Bills employ a pressure-based scheme, designed to confuse quarterbacks with exotic blitzes and ever-changing fronts. The good news is that Smith already has been exposed to this style of defense -- a lot. It's a Rex Ryan-style defense, coached in Buffalo by former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who learned it from the master. This doesn't mean Smith will have an answer for everything Pettine throws at him, but at least it won't be foreign to him.

Avoid the funk: We've detected an early trend with Smith: He tends to make his mistakes in bunches. In Week 1, he had two turnovers and two sacks in the second quarter. In Week 2, he hit the wall in the fourth quarter, with the three interceptions. Every quarterback makes mistakes. The hallmark of an elite quarterback is the ability to forget and look forward. Smith's early track record suggests he's struggling with that aspect of his game. Right now, his touchdown-interception differential is minus-3, worst in the NFL.

Prediction: After last week's rough outing, it makes sense to dial it back and rely on the running game. Traditionally, the Jets run very well against the Bills. Look for a more conservative game plan than usual, with Smith -- 73 passes in the first two games -- becoming more of a game manager. He'll still throw an interception, but it won't be another hat trick.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...tch-geno-smith

Hall Of Fame
    Jets O-line's mission: Stop Mr. Mario

To Jets coach Rex Ryan, Buffalo defensive end Mario Williams has it all.

"The fact that God touched this guy and gave him unbelievable gifts -- you got the height, the size, the length, the arms, the speed. That's what kind of jumps out," Ryan said. "And he plays hard. He's smart."

The Jets have the tough challenge of stopping the NFL's sack leader when Williams and the Bills come to town. Williams had 4 1/2 sacks in last Sunday's game against Carolina, which is more than the Jets have as a team through their first two contests."Mario Williams is one of those great athletes. He's a good defensive end. They have a good defensive line," Jets right tackle Austin Howard said. "At the same time, I believe we have a good offensive line. As usual it's going to be a battle in the trenches and we're prepared for that."Williams set the Bills record against Cam Newton in Buffalo's 24-23 win over the Panthers. The pass-rusher tallied 3 1/2 sacks rushing from the left defensive end spot, while one came from the right side. Three of those sacks could be credited as coverage sacks, though, as Newton held onto the ball for more than five seconds before Williams got him.

"I think that [4 1/2 sacks] might have been our team high last year for the season," Ryan said in reference to the Jets being led by Quinton Coples' 5 1/2 sacks in 2012.

The Jets did a great job against Williams last year as they held him to zero sacks in two games. In Williams' first game with Buffalo after signing a six-year, $100 million deal, the Jets held him to just one tackle in a 48-28 rout. Williams had three tackles in the second game.After the first game, Williams said that Howard had been illegally blocking him, and allegedly using hands to the face almost on every play. Ryan defended Howard by saying he disagreed with Williams, and Howard defended himself by saying he wasn't penalized for what Williams was claiming.

Howard, who will see plenty of Williams on Sunday, said he's going to put in plenty of study time to break down Williams' game after his monstrous day.

"Study the films and learn what he does best and try and learn why and how he got those sacks," Howard said. "Going against him twice already I understand physically who he is and I believe the guys we have on defense give us a good look to prepare for what they do well as a defense."

Buffalo is running a new scheme this year under former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who runs a scheme very similar to Ryan. Howard said preparing against Ryan's defense each day helps them prepare for Buffalo.

"We respect their line. We respect their defense very much," Howard said. "And we respect their defensive coordinator as well."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-stop-mr-mario

Hall Of Fame
    A second-round pick in 2010, Jets guard Vlad Ducasse was moving quickly to the unforgiving territory of NFL busts.

Last year, the since-departed offensive line coach called Ducasse an “every third series guy, maybe.” The Jets’ confidence in Ducasse was so shaky that in the offseason they signed veteran Stephen Peterman, who was cut. That left Ducasse, who arrived as a tackle out of UMass, to battle third-round rookie, Brian Winters, to be the starting left guard.

Guess what? Ducasse squeezed past an injured Winters, has impressed as the starter in two games and is headed toward his third straight start — his third straight career start — Sunday against Buffalo.

“He’s earned that spot and that’s why he’s in there,” coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday, admiring how Ducasse has played tackle and both guard spots. “A young player you stick him in one spot. But here he’s had to learn left tackle, right tackle, right guard. That’s been impressive.

“Obviously a second-round pick, you want the light to come on sooner than later,” Ryan admitted.

But hey, it went on.

Ducasse, who arrived in the U.S. in 2002 from Haiti, credits several factors for his breakthrough. There’s prayer. There’s unending help and guidance, especially with the mental approach, from right guard and first-year Jet Willie Colon. And there was a critical self-evaluation.

“In the offseason, I took a step back and looked at myself, looked at where I was,” Ducasse said. “Just evaluated myself. Talking to the guys, sort of understanding what my goal was in the season.”

So what exactly did the man who flattened Patriots stud Vince Wilfork on Bilal Powell’s 3-yard run for the Jets only touchdown in the loss Thursday to New England see?

“A lot of things, but it was mostly like I was drafted here for a reason. They believed in me. One thing I have to do is bring my confidence in myself up to play to the best of my ability,” Ducasse said.

He did that Thursday. Pancaked Wilfork, remember?

“Just doing my job,” the 6-foot-5, 325-pound Ducasse said.

“He did a good job He was physical,” Ryan said. “Vlad handled himself real well.”

Maybe that moment can propel Ducasse farther along the path. After all, Wilfork is “a future Hall of Famer,” according to Ducasse. The job gets no easier this week with Buffalo’s athletic tackles, Kyle Williams “one of the most underrated guys” in the NFL, and Marcell Dareus, “that big dude from Alabama,” according to Ryan.

“Vlad is getting better each and every week,” said Colon. “When you’re able to look at tape and see positive things, it only boosts his confidence. Obviously, we need him. He’ll only keep getting better.

“I relate to Vlad. I went to Hofstra, he went to UMass. He played tackle, I played tackle. We both were converted into guards so some of the things I had trouble with or the mental aspect of things, I can see what he’s going through so I try to give some insight into technique, how to play things, how to see things,” Colon added. “He’s extremely talented. If you watch the tape, you see him throwing a lot of guys around out there. The sky’s the limit for him.”

Now that the light finally has gone on.

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/18/vlad-th...etting-better/

Hall Of Fame
    Against all odds, Jets got QB situation right

The New York Jets' quarterback competition was as muddied as a Florida election, with several well-documented missteps along the way, but they somehow managed to get one thing right:

A partial commitment to Geno Smith was absolutely the right call.They're week-to-week with the rookie quarterback, and it's the best way to go because, quite obviously, Smith didn't earn the job coming out of the preseason. He won it by default because of the Mark Sanchez Shoulder Fiasco, and he has done nothing to claim the position. So far, his biggest contribution has been getting a late shove from Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David, setting up a gift victory. Sorry, that's not enough to win a job.The Jets' approach with Smith is, no doubt, rooted in general manager John Idzik's "competition" mantra, but they also learned a lesson from the Sanchez situation in 2009. As a rookie, Sanchez was declared the winner of the not-so-open competition, and the Jets treated it like a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.Coach Rex Ryan locked on to Sanchez, and he stayed locked on until last December, when he finally benched him for Greg McElroy. Now, yes, there's a big difference between the fifth overall pick (Sanchez) and the 39th pick (Smith), but the Jets put Sanchez on such a pedestal that it was deemed an act of heresy when, a year later, he was pulled from a few plays in practice because he was mired in a slump.

Talk to some players on those teams, and they will tell you Ryan's kid-glove treatment of Sanchez gave the young quarterback a sense of entitlement that, ultimately, may have contributed to his decline. The organization eventually came under heavy criticism for coddling Sanchez, and it was fair criticism.Now the Jets are taking an anti-coddling approach with Smith, forcing him to earn the most important position on the team. There's nothing wrong with that. What's the downside?

The Jets don't want to give a long-term commitment to Smith because, frankly, they don't know if he's the answer. He's not Andrew Luck, picked No. 1 overall last year. He's not Robert Griffin III, picked No. 2. There is no significant financial commitment to Smith. If he stinks it up, they can push him to the side and target a replacement in next spring's quarterback-rich draft.

Idzik came from Seattle, where the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson No. 75 overall and made him the starter (no strings attached) before the opener. One difference between Wilson and Smith: Wilson played a lot in the preseason, and he played well.

"He earned it," coach Pete Carroll said at the time.

The Jets' opponent this week, the Buffalo Bills, committed to EJ Manuel before the season opener.

Like Smith, Manuel was limited in the preseason because of an injury, but he played exceptionally well. Let's not be naive -- his draft position (16th overall) was a factor, too; he was selected as Buffalo's franchise quarterback. But it wasn't like the Bills were rushing him into the lineup after a three-interception stinker in the preseason.
    "He earned that job," coach Doug Marrone said. "That's why he's our starting quarterback."

The Jets never said Smith earned anything, because he didn't. All he got on the day of his quasi-coronation was a disclaimer from his bosses: "The competition isn't finished."

There's nothing wrong with competition. If Smith is unnerved by the week-to-week nature of it, he's not mentally tough enough to be a franchise quarterback.

A lot of this is semantics because, let's be honest, Smith isn't being threatened by Matt Simms or Brady Quinn, and Sanchez is out of the picture for two months. There has been some speculation about Simms closing the gap, but Ryan doused that Thursday.

"I think there are a lot of guys [in the organization] that like Simms, I don't think there's any doubt, but to say as our starting quarterback? I don’t see that," Ryan said.

In other words, the Jets are committed to Smith without having committed to him. Some might perceive that as indecision, the Jets being the Jets, but that's not the case. They're willing to play a quarterback in Pampers, as Bill Parcells might say, but they don't want a pampered quarterback.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ituation-right

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    Not only are those scrubs competing for a job, but his O-line consisted of those very same scrubs, thus he was running for his life on most passing attempts, yet he still had great success.
    so you want GENO cast aside for Simms based on his play against scrubs in a meaningless preseason game. Fair enough. Please list your NFL personnel credentials so we can forward them to WOODY and IDZIK. Apparently you know lots more then Rex and MM and David Lee combined. The Jest needs you err Jets!

While you are at it please examine the Jets WR corp in the NE game and figure out GENO's stats if his receivers held on to those 6 passes they dropped. Thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    When head coach Rex Ryan hired Marty Mornhinweg as his offensive coordinator during the offseason, Ryan knew Mornhinweg’s arrival could bring a marked departure from the Jets’ offensive strategy in Ryan’s first four seasons.

In Ryan’s first season, the Jets ran the ball 60.7 percent of the time. In the next two seasons, they ran it 50.4 and 44.7 percent of the time. Last season, the Jets had 493 passes and 494 rushes.

The West Coast offense used by Mornhinweg typically relies more on throwing than running, and Ryan understands this approach fits the modern NFL, a quarterback-driven league where downfield passing is critical.

"Do I expect us to run more than pass? Not really,’’ Ryan said.

"Would I prefer to run the ball than throw it? Yeah, of course,’’ he continued. "With that being said, the way the game is played now, I also like to attack down the field. And I think we can do both now."

In the Jets’ season-opening win over Tampa Bay, the Jets ran 29 times. They passed 39 times, including 38 by rookie quarterback Geno Smith. In last week’s loss at New England, where it poured rain the second half, the Jets ran 32 times and Smith threw 35 passes. Against the Patriots, the Jets saw increased production from running backs Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. They combined to run 25 times for 100 yards, after having just 44 yards on 22 carries in t

"It’s a start," said Ivory, who ran 12 times for 52 yards at New England. "I’m not pleased, but it’s a start. I think it can only get better."

The Jets rank 25th in the NFL in total yards gained. As they and Mornhinweg try to find a reliable balance between running and passing, it is clear that however the Jets split the ratio, they must effectively run the ball to make life easier for Smith.

Entering Sunday’s home game against Buffalo, Smith has completed just 53.4 percent of his passes for one touchdown and four interceptions, though the Jets’ wide receivers dropped six passes at New England.

Few rookie quarterbacks can thrive when opponents expect them to pass because the running game is unproven. The Bills have a ferocious pass rusher, end Mario Williams, who could ruin Smith’s day if the Jets don’t make the Bills honor the run.

Run the ball well, Ryan said, and most defenses will have to keep eight men along the line of scrimmage, allowing fewer to drop into pass coverage. Sunday’s game could present more opportunities for Smith because the Bills play a lot of man-to-man coverage, tight end Kellen Winslow said. Because Mornhinweg said Smith is "seeing some things for the first time," Mornhinweg altered his game plan from Tampa Bay to New England and "tempered it down a little bit" to run more and ease the pressure on Smith.

"This is more than I’ve ever run the ball," Mornhinweg said of the New England game. "There’s a bunch of different reasons, but certainly a rookie quarterback is one of them. I ran the ball on third-and-7. I haven’t done that in I can’t remember when."

He laughed and slapped the table in front of him. Mornhinweg, who admitted he is a more patient coach than he once was, knows his own history with pass-focused offenses in his 15 previous seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator or head coach. He also knows a passing game will be important for the Jets to eventually establish.

But he said he is now just "trying to do the right thing with the group that we have," which includes a No. 1 receiver, Santonio Holmes, who got essentially no practice time with Smith before the opener.

"I thought years ago, ahead of the game, because you do score passing the football," Mornhinweg said. "Now, everybody has sort of caught up just a little bit. Everybody is throwing the football. So you have to attack in this league, in the long run. For the finality of it, you have to be able to score at the end of the half and in two-minute (offense). Passing the football will become important at some point."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._and_pass.html

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lol ... He does have a cool name though!

Hall Of Fame
    Jets Are Taking a Pass on the Running Game

When Rex Ryan was hired to coach the Jets in 2009, he insisted on running effectively, a philosophy that he captured in the catchphrase “ground and pound.” Even as the Jets develop Geno Smith, a rookie quarterback who understandably lacks polish, that is no longer Ryan’s mantra.

With the blessing of Coach Rex Ryan, right, the Jets’ rookie quarterback, Geno Smith, is directing a pass-first offense.

“Do I expect us to run more than pass? Not really,” Ryan said after Thursday’s practice. “I’d like to be close to balanced. I think that’s where we’ve been the first couple of games. So I think that’s pretty good.”

The Jets, who will host the Buffalo Bills on Sunday in a meeting of A.F.C. East teams with 1-1 records, have attempted 74 passes and 61 rushes. Smith dropped back 42 times in a 13-10 loss at the New England Patriots on Sept. 12 in a game that raised questions about how committed Marty Mornhinweg, the new offensive coordinator, would be to the run. The Jets backed off the ground game despite rushing 32 times for 129 yards; Smith threw three interceptions in the fourth quarter.

Mornhinweg is well known for his pass-first approach — “This is the most I’ve ever run,” he said — and Ryan appears to welcome that.

“The old football mentality about, Would I prefer to run the ball than throw it? Yeah, of course,” Ryan said. “But that being said, the way the game is played now, I also like to attack down the field.”

Smith’s statistical line at New England, and his forgettable fourth quarter, raise questions about his ability to lead that kind of offense so soon. He completed only 15 of 35 passes for 214 yards. The Jets scored their lone touchdown on Bilal Powell’s 3-yard run with five minutes left in the third quarter. Powell carried 13 times for 48 yards. Chris Ivory, who was expected to play a major role after he was acquired from the New Orleans Saints during the off-season, had 12 carries for 52 yards. But Ivory carried only once after Powell’s score.

Mornhinweg sounded as though he was willing to stay the course. “He is learning on the job just a little bit,” he said of Smith, “and that’s O.K.”

Mornhinweg, the third offensive coordinator under Ryan, has far more experience than his predecessors, Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano. Sparano had never held the position before and lasted only one season before he was dismissed and Mornhinweg was hired.

Mornhinweg, who learned the West Coast offense under Bill Walsh, the former 49ers coach, built a strong résumé with San Francisco and then, for the last 10 years, with the Philadelphia Eagles. During Mornhinweg’s time with Philadelphia, the Eagles set single-season franchise records for completions (367 in 2012), total net yards (6,386 in 2011), completion percentage (62 in 2010), points (439 in 2010), average yards per rush (5.4 in 2010), third-down percentage (42.4 in 2007) and net passing yards (4,119 in 2006), among others.

With that background, members of the Jets readily accept whatever he presents them. “I’ve always been a fan of running the ball early so you get into a rhythm,” right guard Willie Colon said. “But that’s not the way we’re built right now. We’re built to have Geno get the ball in the air.”

Ryan believes that the greatest issue for the Jets involves execution, not approach. They had a number of dropped passes against the Patriots.

“You’re leaving a lot of plays out there,” he said. “If we could have caught half of those balls we dropped, the outcome might have been a lot different. Clearly, you’re an N.F.L. receiver, you’re paid to catch the football, and we certainly need to do it.”

EXTRA POINTS

Coach REX RYAN opened his news conference by offering condolences to TOM COUGHLIN, his Giants counterpart. Coughlin’s younger brother, John, 63, died on Monday. “That’s as tough as it gets there,” Ryan said. John Coughlin is to be buried Tuesday in Waterloo, N.Y. ... Linebacker QUINTON COPLES, who sustained a hairline fracture of his right ankle Aug. 17, continues to progress as he practices on a limited basis. ... WILLIE COLON declined to say how much the N.F.L. fined him for his role in a fracas with the Patriots in the final minutes on Sept. 12, but he said he was appealing. “It was totally too much,” said Colon, who made contact with an official who was attempting to restore order.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/sp...l?ref=football

Hall Of Fame
    An emphasis out of the game against the Patriots a week ago tonight was not dropping as many passes. And one method of that emphasis was to put the spotlight on the issue, as head coach Rex Ryan has done almost every day he's talked with reporters since that 13-10 loss.
    At today's news conference he referenced the drops once again.

"You can’t afford to drop the ball that many times, there’s no way. You’re leaving a lot of plays out there," he said. "If we would have caught half of those balls we dropped, the outcome might have been a lot different."
    How many passes did the Jets drop at Gillette Stadium? Rex has declined to put a number on it. My own charting, highly unofficial, shows six drops.
    I'm a conservative marker — my view is that catching a rock-hard prolate spheroid coming at you at 55 mph with various spirals and wobbles is a lot harder than the network talking heads sometimes make it sound. Yet footballs do clank to the turf, so I've recorded our drops and our opponents' for every game since 1995.
    And I hadn't seen a six-drop game for the Jets since the 1997 season finale at Detroit. The only time we had seven in a game: Game 13 of the 1996 season against Houston, as in the Oilers.
    Certainly the second-half rain and the Gillette lights made the ball harder to catch (I had the Patriots for five drops of their own), but as Rex said, "You're an NFL receiver, you're paid to catch the football, and we certainly need to do it."
    So how do we limit the drops two weeks into the season? Santonio Holmes' simple recommendation:
    "Catch the ball. I don't see any other way to correct it."
    Yet the Jets are reinforcing that directive with some concentrated physical and mental work. Every day after practice this week the receivers lined up to catch balls firing out from between the JUGS machine's rubber tires.
    "At camp, catching balls from the JUGS machine was something we started off doing a lot," rookie WR Ryan Spadola said. With the team back at the Atlantic Health Training Center for the last month, he said, "We're trying to get back in rhythm after practice, taking an extra 15, 20 minutes to run through a little cycle as a group, catch the ball at different angles — straight on, side to side, low balls."
    With the leather time come some mantras. One that WRs coach Sanjay Lal stresses: Eyes to the tuck.
    "We're emphasizing the fundamentals," Ben Obomanu said. "Eyes always to the tuck, high and tight when you're carrying the ball, attacking the ball when it's in the air instead of waiting for the ball to come to you."
    Obomanu also said the wideouts do their own video scorekeeping.
    "We call it 'blind catching' when we don't necessarily look the ball all the way in, so who's having blind catches, who's carrying the ball loosely, we're writing those things down," he said. "Instead of the receivers coach or the OC talking to us about it, we have a chart that says we're going to be a little more accountable about who's doing what."
    Drops happen, as even the head coach acknowledges, but none of the Jets' wideouts, young or old, used that as an explanation for their New England game.
    "There's never an excuse for a dropped football," said Spadola. And Holmes replied: "This is the NFL. There should be no excuses to be made for anybody at this point in time."
    Is it possible to catch the football better than you did the week before? We're about to find out Sunday at home against the Bills.
    Injury Update
    On our injury front, Holmes (foot) was a planned DNP today. Limited: LB Quinton Coples (ankle) (Rex: "He looks good out there, so we'll see"), DT Kenrick Ellis (back), DL Sheldon Richardson (shoulder) and TE Kellen Winslow (knee). And backup rookie T Oday Aboushi went down with a knee injury in practice. No report on the severity until Friday.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...3-983161a4c326

Hall Of Fame
    You expect incompletions in a driving rain, but the New York Jets started dropping balls last week in New England long before the raindrops started falling. Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill, starters, both contributed, sinking an offense that struggled to turn yards into points during a 13-10 loss to the division rival.

In that game, Gates was thrown eight balls and had two receptions for 42 yards, and no Jets receiver caught more than half the balls thrown his way. On Friday, Gates stood at his locker and talked about how the Jets move past those mistakes.

“I’ve been past it,” Gates said. “When something like that happens and you have a game like that, you’ve got to be itching to come out the following day or the following week, just to better yourself, focus better, see what you did wrong and fix it.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Gates had three drops on six catchable passes. But Jets coach Rex Ryan isn’t down on Gates.

“Is it going to be the last time he drops the football? No,” Ryan said. “The last time somebody else drops one? No. We believe in him, we know he can do it. I see him. He catches everything. The main thing is here’s a young man who knows how to run routes and catch the football. Go do it.“

Offensive lineman Willie Colon acknowledged that the wide receivers have been under a microscope, and tried to shift some of that pressure onto his own group for the upcoming Bills game on Sunday.

“That’s a prideful unit,” Colon said. “I know Santonio (Holmes) and those guys don’t want to be called out -- just like we don’t want to get called out if we have a bad game. We were kind of called out this week like 'hey the strength of their defense is up front.' If we want to win this game it lies on the offensive line. So our number has been called and we have to show up, so all eyes on us this Sunday.”

Jeremy Kerley will return this Sunday after missing the New England game because of a concussion suffered in the season-opening win against Tampa Bay. The slot receiver said he thought he could’ve helped the Jets last week, but that the drops have been overplayed.

“That’s just part of the game though, they blew that up,” Kerley said. “New England had almost the same amount of drops. It’s part of the game.”

Ryan seems to be sticking with his regulars. One reporter asked on Friday if Ryan might try to go to a newer receiver like Ryan Spadola, give him a chance considering other struggles. Ryan was blunt.

“I don’t think so,” Ryan said. “That’s about as honest as I can be I think.”

Colon said it’s not fair to blame all of the Jets' offensive struggles on the drops. There are other areas where the team needs to improve.

“The key for us right now is we’ve got to finish drives,” Colon said. “We’re not doing a good enough job in the red zone -- under four minutes we had a chance in that (New England) game. We got [to] finish games and we got to finish drives. We’ll march and we’ll get good yardage, but we get down to 35-and-in, we’ve got to get after defenses. And we’re stagnant right now, so that’s what’s hurting us. Our defense is playing lights-out, and they’re giving us chances, but if you get to the 35-plus and you’re not getting at least 3, and of course you want 7, If you’re not putting something on the board you’re hurting your percentage to win.“

Either way, Gates is ready to get back on the field and rewrite the narrative on Sunday.

“You can’t let it get to you where it shakes your confidence, because if you’re not confident on this level of football, then you’re going to go nowhere fast,” Gates said.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ove-past-drops

Hall Of Fame
    For the rest of their professional careers, Geno Smith and EJ Manuel will be forever linked. And now just three weeks into their respective rookie seasons, we will get a chance to see them on the same field together for the first time as the 1-1 Jets host the 1-1 Bills Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

Smith, a West Virginia product who fell to the Jets in Round 2, was the second quarterback taken in the draft.

“The Jets just took the guy I think is the best quarterback in the draft, and they did it at No. 39 overall,” said ESPN Draft Guru Mel Kiper on draft weekend.

“He's a deft, quick-rhythm passer with the potential to develop into a star under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg (see: Michael Vick and Jeff Garcia),” added NFL.com/NFL Network Analyst Bucky Brooks in April.

Thus far, Smith has completed 53.4% of his passes with 1 TD and 4 INTs. He was very good in his home debut, becoming the first Jet since Ray Lucas in 1999 to lead the Jets in both passing yards (256) and rushing yards (47). But after getting into a rhythm to start the second half last Thursday in New England, Smith hit on just one of his final nine passes and was intercepted three times in the final stanza of a 13-10 loss to the Pats.

“He’s done some excellent things,” said Mornhinweg said this week of Smith. “There are some plays he would like to have back. It’s just that simple. We’ll go through some ups and downs as a team, all the individuals will go through some ups and downs, and certainly Geno is right there. He’s seeing some things for the first time. That will continue to happen until he gets some experience. This experience is valuable for him in the long run.”

Mornhinweg’s West Coast attack is far different than the shotgun spread Mountaineers offense Smith operated while in Morgantown, WV. Before the draft, ESPN’s Todd McShay called Smith “the best all-around QB in the class,” but also indicated there were times when Smith took too long to release the football.

"When the answer does not come from his first read and he has to check to his second and then his third read and go through those progressions, sometimes it does not come as quickly,” said McShay.

The 6’3”, 221-pound Smith displays veteran poise in the pocket. But he has been sacked nine times and the Jets are working with the rookie on getting rid of the football and finding escape routes.

“It’s always important to get the ball out and to get it out on time,” Smith said. “You never want to sit back there and pat it and babysit the ball. So, that is an emphasis and going up against a defense and a guy like Mario (Williams), it is going to be an emphasis to get the ball out.”

Manuel, a Florida State product whose stock skyrocketed before the draft, became the first QB taken when the Bills took him off the board with the No. 16 selection. He has completed 68.2% of his passes (mostly short and intermediate throws) with 3 TD and 1 INT, and last week he led the Bills to a thrilling last-minute triumph over the Carolina Panthers. The 6’4”, 237-pound Manuel has been sacked only once, but the 23-year-old will be facing a different animal on the road this week.

“I think we’re both rooting for each other,” Manuel said of Smith. “Obviously this weekend we’re going to be competing against each other, there’s no doubt about that. But I think we were both happy for each other when draft day came.”

Neither rookie passer is concerned with the draft anymore. Smith dismissed the notion that he will have extra motivation to prove that he should have been the first quarterback selected.

“I think that mindset would be selfish. It’s about this team,” he said. “It’s about all of us going out there and getting a win for each other. I’m not going out there worrying about what happened at the draft because that’s come and gone and those feelings are far behind me. I’m just focusing on leading this offense, leading this team and then going out there on Sunday and playing well.”

If both first-year quarterbacks play effectively this season, Sunday’s matchup at the Met could be the start of a new passing rivalry inside the AFC East. Both Smith and Manuel want No. 2 this weekend — a second victory for their teams.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-09e12bf2277c

Mornhinweg is well known for his pass-first approach — “This is the most I’ve ever run,” he said — and Ryan appears to welcome that.

“The old football mentality about, Would I prefer to run the ball than throw it? Yeah, of course,” Ryan said. “But that being said, the way the game is played now, I also like to attack down the field.”

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/jets-c...d-running-mix/