Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: O dept. : Marty Ball ! !

Hall Of Fame
    You expect incompletions in a driving rain, but the New York Jets started dropping balls last week in New England long before the raindrops started falling. Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill, starters, both contributed, sinking an offense that struggled to turn yards into points during a 13-10 loss to the division rival.

In that game, Gates was thrown eight balls and had two receptions for 42 yards, and no Jets receiver caught more than half the balls thrown his way. On Friday, Gates stood at his locker and talked about how the Jets move past those mistakes.

“I’ve been past it,” Gates said. “When something like that happens and you have a game like that, you’ve got to be itching to come out the following day or the following week, just to better yourself, focus better, see what you did wrong and fix it.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Gates had three drops on six catchable passes. But Jets coach Rex Ryan isn’t down on Gates.

“Is it going to be the last time he drops the football? No,” Ryan said. “The last time somebody else drops one? No. We believe in him, we know he can do it. I see him. He catches everything. The main thing is here’s a young man who knows how to run routes and catch the football. Go do it.“

Offensive lineman Willie Colon acknowledged that the wide receivers have been under a microscope, and tried to shift some of that pressure onto his own group for the upcoming Bills game on Sunday.

“That’s a prideful unit,” Colon said. “I know Santonio (Holmes) and those guys don’t want to be called out -- just like we don’t want to get called out if we have a bad game. We were kind of called out this week like 'hey the strength of their defense is up front.' If we want to win this game it lies on the offensive line. So our number has been called and we have to show up, so all eyes on us this Sunday.”

Jeremy Kerley will return this Sunday after missing the New England game because of a concussion suffered in the season-opening win against Tampa Bay. The slot receiver said he thought he could’ve helped the Jets last week, but that the drops have been overplayed.

“That’s just part of the game though, they blew that up,” Kerley said. “New England had almost the same amount of drops. It’s part of the game.”

Ryan seems to be sticking with his regulars. One reporter asked on Friday if Ryan might try to go to a newer receiver like Ryan Spadola, give him a chance considering other struggles. Ryan was blunt.

“I don’t think so,” Ryan said. “That’s about as honest as I can be I think.”

Colon said it’s not fair to blame all of the Jets' offensive struggles on the drops. There are other areas where the team needs to improve.

“The key for us right now is we’ve got to finish drives,” Colon said. “We’re not doing a good enough job in the red zone -- under four minutes we had a chance in that (New England) game. We got [to] finish games and we got to finish drives. We’ll march and we’ll get good yardage, but we get down to 35-and-in, we’ve got to get after defenses. And we’re stagnant right now, so that’s what’s hurting us. Our defense is playing lights-out, and they’re giving us chances, but if you get to the 35-plus and you’re not getting at least 3, and of course you want 7, If you’re not putting something on the board you’re hurting your percentage to win.“

Either way, Gates is ready to get back on the field and rewrite the narrative on Sunday.

“You can’t let it get to you where it shakes your confidence, because if you’re not confident on this level of football, then you’re going to go nowhere fast,” Gates said.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ove-past-drops

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets ran for 129 yards last week, getting a ground game going to help out rookie quarterback Geno Smith. Now, can they keep it going?

The Bills defense appears to be susceptible to the run. Through two games they are 30th in the league, allowing an average of 141.5 yards per game.

Chris Ivory ran for 52 yards on 12 carries against the Patriots last week and appears to be over the hamstring injury that cost him a lot of time in training camp.

“Chris is getting better every week,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “He had a slow start to the season because he missed so much time in training camp, but he’s starting to get more and more comfortable with the offense. What we saw on tape we’re starting to see on the field now — his physical running style, yards after contact. His role is going to continue to increase.”

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg drew some criticism for going to Ivory just once in the fourth quarter, but that was caused by Ivory’s deficiencies in the passing game. He is not a good receiver out of the backfield, and the Jets were in passing formations for much of the fourth.
    That left Ivory on the sidelines, and Bilal Powell carrying the ball.

“I play guys on how the game is going,” Lynn said. “If I see the game is becoming more of a passing/receiving game I put the right personnel in for that. That’s why Bilal was in there more in the fourth quarter. We were in our sub package more. That fits his skill set right now more than Chris’.”

The Jets ran the ball six times in the fourth quarter, half as many times as they passed. That is not an unreasonable number, especially since they had to throw as time wound down and they were trailing. Powell carried the ball four times with Ivory and Tommy Bohanon each getting one carry.

One area Smith desperately needs to improve is getting rid of the ball quickly. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith is taking an average of 3.45 seconds to throw the ball, the worst in the league. He is taking 2.6 seconds or more 74 percent of the time, also a league worst. That has led to him getting sacked nine times.

“He’s working on that now,” Mornhinweg said. “He’s working on it diligently. That is one thing. I want him to go through his progression, go through his reads, make good quick decisions and throw the ball strong with confidence, drill it and emphasize it. He’s getting more comfortable with that.”

The Jets have never opened a season 1-2 under Rex Ryan. They were 3-0 in his first year and 2-1 the past three seasons.

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/21/jets-pl...ng-over-bills/

Hall Of Fame
    Geno Smith to Santonio Holmes: Signs of the New York Jets’ Future ?

Geno Smith to Santonio Holmes. Did that combination look good on Sunday or what, ladies and gentlemen? If Santonio Holmes is not 100%, he is very close. He ran crisp routes, showed his signature good hands, and was able to be a major target for Geno Smith down the field.If this is a sign of things to come, the future looks bright for the New York Jets’ offense. Very bright. Let’s look at the 69 yard game winning touchdown to see what I mean. When you see the window that Geno had to fit this into in order to connect with Holmes, you too will be excited for the future.Geno Smith is in the shotgun, with a back to either side. Santonio Holmes is wide to the near side, circled in green. He is being guarded closely by the cornerback and there are two deep safeties. Santonio is going to make a move to the inside as if he is running a post pattern or crossing pattern, and then will break back to the outside to try to beat his man on a go route up the sideline. He doesn’t have much luck, leaving Geno a very small window to throw into.

As Geno releases the ball, the cornerback is on Santonio Holmes step for step. If you look in the green circle, Santonio is not that open. The window that Geno has to hit is very small, indicated, to scale of course, with the green square. Geno must lay the pass out in front of Santonio so he can run under it, right on target or there is no shot at a completion.The ball is coming in just over Santonio’s shoulder, again circled in the green. Look at how close the defender is. Santonio isn’t exactly wide open, but the catch can be made if the ball is placed perfectly. Again, the window is indicated by the green square. Geno doesn’t have a lot of room to put the ball in here. But…….

Geno Smith puts the ball in Santonio Holmes’ hands, right in stride. Holmes shoves the defender away, and scampers the rest of the 69 yards for the game winning touchdown. Jets win.

Give these two credit here. Geno Smith made one great throw, and Santonio made an excellent play to make the catch and take it the distance. This type of throw is indicative of a growing connection between the two.

If this is what is to come, this offense is going to grow into quite the exciting group.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/09/25/ge...k-jets-future/

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Boy I am pumped about MM. He is our first legit OC since I can remember (Henning?). Geno Smith is fortunate to have an OC with his resume and experience in developing QBs.

Unfortunately Sanchez got screwed. However, I wouldn't be surprised if MM helps him too. If we truly let the competition play out it should be a fierce battle between Sanchez, Gerrard, and Smith. I can honestly say I won't be surprised with whoever wins. Remember, Gerrard was in line to win the Fins starting job before he got hurt in TC.
    Lets see now Suckchez went to two AFCCG in two years when he was very raw. Don't the coaches and his teammates get any credit for that or did Sucky do it all on his own?

Hall Of Fame
    Looks can be deceiving. Even on a career-best day.

Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes doesn't believe Sunday's 154-yard effort is the sign he's back to form after suffering a Lisfranc fracture and undergoing surgery last year.

As he's rehabbed from the injury, the veteran has often downplayed signs that he's progressing well.

Santonio Holmes torched the Bills for 154 yards on five catches in Sunday's win.
    "I don't want to do that to myself," Holmes said Wednesday about believing he's made it back. "I still have a long ways to go. It's only my third game back from a full year of recovering and not having a lot chances to practice up until this point. Still have a lot of learning and a lot of things to continue working on, such as staying in my rehab regimens. Still have a long ways to go."

Holmes abused the Buffalo Bills' secondary on Sunday, hauling in five passes for 154 yards, including the game-winning 69-yard score in the fourth quarter. It marked the first time he topped 100 yards since he went for 147 on Sept. 23, 2012, the game before he suffered his injury.

In the Jets' first two contests this year, against the Buccaneers and Patriots, Holmes had tallied just four catches for 64 yards .

As he's worked his way back, Holmes has been hesitant to make any declarations about his surgically repaired left foot. When he first started practicing, it looked like he was moving well, but he later said looks can be deceiving. Through the first two weeks, as he played more than two-thirds the offensive snaps, he's continued to say he's not 100 percent.

On Wednesday, Holmes said his foot doesn't feel any better than it normally does midweek. He was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice.

"It still feels the same," Holmes said of his foot." Mentally, I prepare myself every day I get an opportunity to practice, and even on game days to just continue to focus in on making strides and not worrying about what the foot's doing."

Holmes said being able to practice and get on the same page with quarterback Geno Smith was a reason for his success Sunday. Missing time in training camp set the pair back in terms of developing a connection, and the more they've been able to work together has helped them develop a rapport.

With Holmes leading the way Sunday, the Jets' offense looked the best it has all season, and the team is looking to build off that heading into Sunday's clash against Tennessee. Holmes is not going to let his career-best game overinflate his confidence as he works his way back to 100 percent.

"I'm going to attack it as if I'm going to continue being a starter and playmaker for this team. I can't look at the numbers and base my production off the numbers," Holmes said. "It's only the third game of the season. I got to continue to stay healthy, and with God's will that I can continue to stay healthy throughout this season, who knows what's going to be in store from this point on."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ong-ways-to-go

Hall Of Fame
    I think sometimes analysis of coordinators can become self-fulfilling prophecies. If a unit does well, the coordinator gets praise for putting together a brilliant strategy. If a unit does poorly, a coordinator gets criticized. It frequently is more about execution than any kind of planning.

When rewatching the Bills and Jets play, though, something stuck out at me. By my unscientific count, on half of the Jets' third down passes they kept at least two extra blockers in to protect Geno Smith. It seemed to be mainly a situational trend. The Jets did not seem to make a point of doing it in other spots.

When you think this through, it really makes sense. The Bills were a defense coming off a six sack game and like to throw a lot of different looks. You could count on them trying to confuse and attack a rookie quarterback. By leaving the extra blockers in consistently, it made the quarterback's job easy. He had more resources to react to the blitz and didn't have to make decisions as quickly against fronts he had never seen before. With less receivers, his decision-making process also became relatively more simplified.

Marty Mornhinweg isn't a perfect coordinator. I'm sure there will be points this season when plenty of us will question him so he deserves credit when he comes up with a plan that makes sense on every level. He might make mistakes at some point, but for the first time in the Ryan Era, the Jets finally have a coordinator who understands how to construct an offense and attempts to build a plan around the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...rty-mornhinweg

Hall Of Fame
    After a string of bad marriages and countless Sundays of head-scratching angst, is it possible Jets fans finally have an offensive coordinator they can embrace?

Tony Sparano and his ill-fated Year of the Wildcat starring Tim Tebow was universally mocked last season because of its mind-numbing lack of creativity.

“BS” (before Sparano), life quickly went south for Brian Schottenheimer, despite his admirable work in developing a raw Mark Sanchez at quarterback while the Jets went to consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010. Schottenheimer’s struggling offense in 2011 elicited angry “Schotty Must Go” chants from fans that led to his departure.

So, after Schottenheimer enraged Jets fans with some game-day play calling that bordered on schizophrenic and Sparano mystified them with cluelessness, enter Marty Mornhinweg, who was hired by Jets coach Rex Ryan to loosen the reins on a dormant offense.

Ryan’s well-worn “ground-and-pound” slogan and philosophy have been replaced by a different way of doing offensive business and a new buzzword: “attack.”

Entering Sunday’s game against the 2-1 Titans in Nashville, Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith has completed four passes of 40 or more yards — all coming in last Sunday’s 27-20 win over the Bills. The Jets had a total of six such big plays in 16 games last season and just three in 2011.

Smith also is tied for the NFL lead with Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers with nine completions of more than 20 yards in the air. That’s a pretty impressive statistic and even more impressive quarterbacking company with which to be associated.

Don’t expect Mornhinweg to take his foot off the gas, either. He appears to be a lead-footed driver as an offensive coordinator. Regardless of the opponent, Mornhinweg is going to push the ball down the field. It is the reason Ryan hired him in the first place.

“Rex and I spent a day together [in the interview process], and I know this: He wanted to be very aggressive and attack,” Mornhinweg said. “That’s one reason that I ended up here I think. So there you have it.”

Ryan recalled facing Mornhinweg as an opposing coach over the years, saying, “Having to prepare against him, I knew how difficult that was.

“He’s been there and done that,” Ryan said Thursday. “You’re not going to trick him. He’s seen about as many things as there is, and he exudes that confidence. Every good play caller has that, and he has it.”

In his 11 years as an offensive coordinator before coming to the Jets, Mornhinweg’s offenses ranked outside of the league’s top 10 just four times. In 2008 with the Eagles and in 1998 with the 49ers his offenses ranked No. 1 in the NFL.

Ryan said he “wanted this football team to attack more in all phases,” adding, “We said we were going to attack, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

Mornhinweg uses the word “attack” so often in offensive meetings his players should conduct an over-under contest on how many times he uses it.

“Yeah, [the words] ‘attack’ and ‘aggressive’ come up,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s a mentality. We just want to be aggressive. That mentality is important to me.”

That mentality is rubbing off on the players, and it is leading to more explosive plays than the Jets have produced in years.

Sunday’s win over Buffalo marked the first time in franchise history the Jets produced a 300-yard passer (Smith), 100-yard rusher (Bilal Powell), and two 100-yard receivers (Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill) in one game.

“He’s ‘attack, attack, attack.’ He’s preached that since the day I met him,” Jets guard Willie Colon said.

“He’s always in attack mode, no matter what,” Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland said. “He mentions that word all the time — ‘We want to attack, we want to attack.’ ”

If the positive results continue (or even improve), Jets fans no longer will have an offensive coordinator to attack the way they did Schottenheimer and Sparano, and this Mornhinweg thing has a chance to be a long-lasting marriage.

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/jets-ma...in-mornhinweg/

Hall Of Fame
    NY Jets WR Stephen Hill says Geno Smith wants to be franchise quarterback

Young wide receiver says that when Gang Green drafted Smith, he thought he was dreaming and was looking forward to playing with Smith.

Geno Smith is a dream come true for Jets WR Stephen Hill.When the Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round this past April, it was a dream come true for Stephen Hill literally.

The second-year wide receiver was home watching the draft, saw the Jets select Smith and then dozed off. When he woke up a few minutes later, he couldn’t remember if the Smith selection had actually happened.

“I thought I was dreaming, for a minute. I saw it, and then I went asleep,” Hill recalled. “I woke up, and I was like, ‘We drafted a quarterback... right?’ My fiancé was like, ‘Yeah.’

“‘We drafted Geno? For real?,’” he said afterward.”I thought it was a dream. It was a good one.”For Hill, the reality of a young receiver partnering up with a young quarterback is better than he could have imagined. Hill made three catches for 108 yards, including a beautifully thrown 54-yard TD pass from Smith, in the Jets’ 27-20 win over the Bills on Sunday. That performance has not only fired up Hill, it’s given the organization hope Smith can be the Jets’ franchise quarterback.

“Oh yeah definitely. Especially when he first came in, I was... definitely looking ahead. Especially because JK’s (Jeremy Kerley) still here,” Hill said. “Yeah, we got a young quarterback. Hopefully he can get that chance to start, which he got now. Now, we’re just looking forward to him keeping it up. He’s doing a good job.

“He wants to be the franchise quarterback, so we’re definitely behind him with that. We got more years with him, so this is good.”

When told of Hill’s scenario, Smith preferred not to dream, but live in the now.

“You don’t want to look too far ahead,” Smith said. “We’re young guys, we’re unproven players, but we’d rather come out and practice and prove it in practice.”

The optimism surrounding Smith comes from his ability to throw the deep ball — especially in Sunday’s win.

That vertical passing game is what Rex Ryan imagined when, at the conclusion of last season, he said he wanted the offense to mirror the Jets’ aggressive defensive style. The coach claimed Wednesday that Marty Mornhinweg’s downfield approach was exactly what he was looking for.

“Absolutely,” Ryan said. “Hey, we’re going to attack you with the run, but if you stick ’em all down there, that’s going to allow us to have some one-on-one opportunities on the outside and we’re absolutely going to take shots down the field.”

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2g5dhWUcE

Hall Of Fame
    First off, thoughts and prayers go out to Chris Berman and his family. I know his father, Jim, was a longtime Jets supporter and fan of the Jets. But I just wanted to throw that out. We’re thinking about you.
    As far as practice goes, it was a pretty good day today. We did make some mistakes, so we’re not there and it’s a good thing we never played because we made some mistakes that we need to fix. Guys were working hard. I think tomorrow should be a better day and we’ll be ready to roll.

As far guys that did not practice today, we have Oday [Aboushi], out with knee, did not practice. Quinton Coples with his ankle, Santonio Holmes with his foot. Both those things, it wasn’t like they had a setback. Those days were planned by our training staff. Dee Milliner was not able to practice today with his hamstring. Neither was Chris Ivory. These players were limited: Kenrick Ellis, back, Clyde gates, knee, Kellen Winslow, knee, and Sheldon Richardson, shoulder. So that’s the list.
    On Milliner’s injury...
    It’s just that he wasn’t able to go today. Again we’ll see how he looks tomorrow and the trainers, doctors tell us. But he wasn’t able to go today.
    On if Darrin Walls will be the nickel if Milliner is out…
    That’s certainly a possibility. If that was the case, Kyle [Wilson] would be the nickel. Walls would go in to play the corner.
    On if he’s disappointed with Milliner…
    No, just the opposite. The kid was coming and so we’ll see. Hopefully this isn’t that big of an issue because he’s certainly, he’s going like this [improving]. Did he have a poor performance against New England? It wasn’t at the level we wanted him to play at? Yeah, absolutely, but that doesn’t mean we weren’t happy with him. He played well this past week. The kid is only going to [improve].
    On if he’s concerned with Milliner’s injury history…
    But how many games did he miss in college? Yeah, exactly, I think one game, I think that was it. In this game it's 100 percent injury rate as we’ve always said. So we know everybody gets hurt. This kid hasn’t missed time. We’ll see how he goes through later on this week with his hamstring. But no, we’re not concerned that he’s an injury thing. He played with a shoulder that probably could’ve been operated on. Some guys might’ve had it operated on way earlier in the season. Instead, he goes all the way through, plays in the national championship game, gets ready to run in the combine, runs a 4.3-something, and then has the surgery. So one thing we know about Dee: very competitive young man. Hopefully it won’t be long with this injury.
    On how Milliner is dealing with the injuries and his benching…
    Well, the benching that happens to everybody, so I think that’s just part of it and he understands that. Everybody understands it.
    On Milliner being competitive…
    Oh yeah, you’ll see. You get to talk to him today.
    On if he has concerns about the durability of players who come out of the SEC…
    No, sure don’t.
    On if his goals for the team have changed given the 2-1 start…
    No. With us, every game we went into, we thought we’d win. So we’re not where we wanted to be. We’re probably where we were expected to be, but hey, we’ll just keep working. Obviously, we know we have to improve a great deal. But we’re working to get better each day and each week.
    On proving people wrong…
    All right, we’ll see. It’s a long season ahead. I think I know what it’s going to look like but we’ll see.
    On what they saw out of Demario Davis coming out of college…
    Well, he jumped off the tape. That’s what you look for. A guy that can run and hit and has the physical tools to play in this league, that’s the first thing you look for. Then you start bringing him in, even one of the 30 visits that we brought in, so we could spend more time with him in the classroom, see how he picks things up, see the feedback he gives you on his defense and all that. And then also understanding how, when you look at a guy, you kind of project the kind of teachers that you have around him, can he pick it up?
    With him we were obviously really confident that Demario would be an outstanding pro and I think his situation was really an ideal situation in the fact that you had Bart Scott in front of him. Bart’s a tremendous player and a great mentor and leader. And then he just kind of passed the torch on to Demario.
    On his expectations for Bilal Powell when the season started…
    We knew he’d compete for playing time at that spot. We have a lot of confidence in Bilal and always did. Number one thing for a back, he’s outstanding in pass protection, let alone his running skills and pass receiving skills, so that we knew was a real positive about Bilal. But did we think he’d have to carry it, how many, 27 times or something like that? We thought that’d be distributed maybe a little differently, but a couple of backs weren’t available.
    On if they may make a move at running back by the end of the week…
    I guess anything’s possible, but we’ll see what happens. The good thing about our situation is Tommy [Bohanon] can play some tailback and Konrad [Reuland] can play some fullback as well. But again, with us, we’ll see how Chris is, but if we think we need to make a move, I’m sure we’ll consider it.
    On if he’d like to see the defense create more turnovers…
    Well, there’s no question. That’s something we need to get better at. We've got to create some opportunities for our offense. Obviously, this week’s going to be a huge challenge in that regard, this team hasn’t turned the ball over yet. But again, yeah, we need to. We’re doing an outstanding job, especially in the red zone. I’m not taking that away from our defense at all. Pleased with it? I kind of expect it, that we’ll play good on defense.
    It seems like we’ve had one major breakdown per game. If we can eliminate it, like I said, we’ll be pretty good. We gave up a touchdown on a blown coverage in the New England game and when Buffalo scored their touchdown, it was on a blown coverage also. Those are two right there. I don’t know how many touchdowns we’ve given up, I think three this season, and two of them are on blown coverages. If we fix them and continue to play well, especially in the red zone, we should be pretty good.
    On the difference between the Titans last year and this year...
    I think it’s a big difference, their team’s different. Just the people they have in there, they put a lot of resources into that offensive line. Obviously you got [Andy] Levitre coming over from Buffalo, a high-price free agent, and then you draft [Chance] Warmack from Alabama. Those are two really, really good football players, and then you've got the two former Pro Bowlers. They’re really running the ball, they are committed to it. The time of possession is like almost four or five minutes different from the previous season. Do you expect it out of a Mike Munchak team? Yeah, I think so, I don’t think there’s any doubt.
    On what he remembers from last year’s game against Tennessee…
    You look at the tape and you learn from it. You do all that type of stuff, but obviously it was a very disappointing night for us.
    On if the identity of the defense has shifted…
    Nah, it’s our defense. You’ll do things based on your players, but obviously you mention the front. We have some very talented guys we put some high picks into. Like I said, we have three first-round picks in a row in that defensive line and every one of them are hits. That bodes well for us moving forward.
    On how important it is for a linebacker to be agile…
    I think a big thing that we like to do is play our sub defense, if you will, third-down defense with two inside linebackers. If you can do that, you’ll stop the run better. Sometimes you’ll have mismatches as far as beating protections, beating a back, something like that. It’s hard because you have to be able to run with tight ends, you have to be able to run with backs, man coverage, certain zone coverages. That’s why you’ll see a lot of teams just play with one linebacker. With us, we’ve always preferred to keep both of them out there.
    On Titans WR Justin Hunter…
    He makes a huge play this past week, obviously. He’s a guy, a down-the-field guy, a tall, linear-type receiver. The thing I’m impressed with is that he goes up for the ball, he competes for it. He always did that in college as well. It’s not surprising that he made that catch at the end of the game there. What is a little surprising is the big kid out of Rutgers [Kenny Britt], he hasn’t played as much as what I remember in the past.
    On how Ellis Lankster got to where he is now…
    Just hard work. He’s a guy that puts the work in, obviously he’s got the toughness, he’s got the mentality to play corner. You got to forget the play before and move on if he does get beat. I love his competiveness. He’s a tough guy, there’s no doubt.
    On a clip from NFL Films when he was miked on the sideline regarding the playbook…
    What happens with that, each week you have a different game plan. It’s about this thick or whatever. Every now and then, somebody will fly off the radar, "Give me the bible, I want to see this, this and this from it." That’s not in your game-plan-specific book, that’s in the stuff you did in training camp or something you’ve done in the past. I call it a bible. That time I was probably looking for the real Bible, too, but that’s how it goes.
    On if he had the book with him…
    I didn’t have it with me.
    On if he received it by helicopter…
    No, but we found a way to get it.
    On if Santonio Holmes is back to his previous self…
    If he says no, then I’ll say no. Guys, he had the most yards that he’s ever had in a game, so that was encouraging. My favorite catch is the one he went up in between two defenders, way up high and caught the ball. Great hands. As I always said, I hope he plays. Now you guys know why I was hoping he plays. He is a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-2cf760c12f68

Hall Of Fame
    With a hamstring injury keeping RB Chris Ivory on the sidelines for Sunday’s game at Tennessee, Bilal Powell and Co. will have to carry the workload.

Prior to last week’s win over Buffalo, Powell had never had more than 19 carries in a game, but No. 29 was forced into extended duty when Ivory left the game in the first quarter, and he ended up with a career-high 27 rushes.“I was a little sore,” Powell said this week, but the extra carries must not have beaten him up too badly. His per rush average went from 4.0 yards on 10 first-half carries to 6.4 yards on 17 second-half runs.

Still, at 5’10”, 204, it’s probably not the smartest idea to turn him into a 30-carries-per-game kind of guy, which is why another third-year back, Alex Green, will come off the bench in relief.

The Jets acquired Green off of waivers from the Green Bay Packers following final cuts. Although he’s been active for all three games this year, he hadn’t played an offensive snap until last week when he carried the ball five times for 14 yards.

“I got in with the O-line for the first time in game action so it felt good to mesh with them a little bit and get the feel for how they play in game situations,” he said. “Moving forward I think we’ll mesh more and continue to get better.”

Both Powell and Green talked about their key to success in running the ball: finding a hole and hitting it without hesitation.

“In this league, those holes close fast,” Green said, “so you have to get there when you can.”

With RB Mike Goodson serving the final game of his four-game suspension and newly acquired Kareem Huggins on the practice squad, Powell and Green will be the only two halfbacks active on Sunday. But as head coach Rex Ryan pointed out, rookie FB Tommy Bohanon can play tailback if need be. In that instance, TE Konrad Reuland would move to fullback.

Both Bohanon and Reuland say they’re ready to take the field in whatever capacity will help the team win.

“I’ve had games where I’ve gotten plenty of carries in college,” Bohanon said, “and I’ve had a few carries here in the NFL so I’m definitely comfortable in doing that.” Playing tailback instead of fullback, he added, is really no different because whether you have the ball in your hands or not, you’re making the same reads.

Reuland filled in at fullback last year after John Conner got hurt and before the Jets signed Lex Hilliard. When Hilliard injured his shoulder during this year’s preseason, Konrad approached the coaches and told them, “You’ve seen me do it before, and I don’t mind doing it again.”

As long as he’s able to take the field, he doesn’t care what position he’s playing.

Fullback’s a very instinctual position, he said. “I like the fact that things kind of happen on the fly and you get to run downhill and hit somebody.”

In a game that features the AFC’s two leading rushers in Chris Johnson for the Titans and Powell for us, expect to see some “ground-and-pound” offense. And with Ivory out, Powell, Green, Bohanon and Reuland are all ready for anything.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...b-0b07741081af

Hall Of Fame
    Another week of injury for tailback Chris Ivory means another opportunity for Bilal Powell to burst through holes as the Jets’ featured running back.

Ivory was ruled out of Sunday’s game as he continues to recover from a left hamstring injury that flared up after four snaps in last week’s win over Buffalo. In Ivory’s place, Powell rushed for a career-high 149 yards. His ability to absorb hits and continue running through tacklers impressed coaches and teammates alike.

Rex Ryan maintained that the Jets need to be ready in all phases for the Titans’ physical approach.

“We know it’s one of those straight-ahead, no-fair-dodging games,” the coach said. “We know it’s going to be physical and here we come.”Alex Green will likely be the reserve tailback, and the Jets will have more running back help on the way as Mike Goodson is expected to return next week.

Goodson was suspended the first four games for violating the league’s policy and program for substances of abuse.

SHONN GONE
    The Jets don’t have to worry about former running back Shonn Greene coming back to haunt them on the field. Greene, who signed with the Titans in free agency after four seasons with the Jets, was ruled out officially on Friday as he continues to rehabilitate from knee surgery.

NO COMMENT REX
    Wideout Stephen Hill hauled in three catches for 108 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Bills last week, but Ryan remains committed to not commenting on Hill’s positive performances in order not to jinx him.

“I told you guys that in training camp, because when I do (compliment Hill) something would happen,” Ryan said. “So no positive comments on Stephen until the season is over.”

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2gBGclcuU

Hall Of Fame
    Kellen Winslow was one of those toddlers who never fell down. His father can't remember ever seeing his son trip or display an ounce of clumsiness. From the day he took his first step, he was supremely comfortable in his own body.

"I knew by the age of 7, he was going to be a better athlete than I ever was," the Chargers' Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow Sr., said. "I realized that it was going to be my goal to keep him away from tackle football as long as I possibly could."

Winslow grew up playing youth soccer, basketball and baseball in La Jolla, Calif. He also explored other interests such as music before he was allowed to join his high school football team as a freshman. Thanks to his father, Winslow grew up knowing that there was a lot more to life than football. And that may go a long way in explaining how Winslow ended up being a Jet this season, how he persevered through two tough periods in his life when the sport he always loved was suddenly taken away from him.

Winslow, 30, ignited a minor fantasy football frenzy in Week 1 when in his first game in almost a year he caught seven passes for 79 yards and one touchdown in the Jets' win over Tampa Bay. The performance caught many off guard, because there had been a lot of questions about just how much mileage was left in Winslow when the Jets signed him in May.

From 2006 to 2011, Winslow was one of the most productive tight ends in the league, averaging 72 catches a season. He was able to do this despite ripping up his knee in a 2005 motorcycle accident that caused him to miss the entire 2005 season as he battled staph infections and endured knee surgeries.

In 2012, however, Winslow played in just one game -- he had one catch for New England -- after being a late-summer cut by Seattle when he refused to take a salary cut. Though there was speculation that Winslow was cut from the Patriots because of knee troubles, he has said the problem was that by the time he came into camp he was too far behind in the playbook to compete for time with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

In some ways, sitting out most of last season was as hard as rehabbing from the motorcycle accident. Winslow believed he had the talent to play football on a high level.

"Here I was 29 about to turn 30, and no one was calling," Winslow said last week. "It was hard, really hard. I never lost confidence in my ability, but I lost confidence in the system. I was always determined that I would be back, but there were some days where I wondered if someone was going to want me."

Winslow credits his family -- his father and his wife, Janelle -- for helping him through the darker days.

"Kellen knows that football isn't everything, that there's so much more to his life," said Janelle, who Winslow first met when he was 14 years old. "He knows his football career is not forever, but when it was taken away from him and not on his terms, it was a hard thing for me to see him go through."

On his left forearm Winslow has a quote from the famous abolitionist Frederick Douglass. "Without struggle there is no progress," it reads. Winslow had it put there after his motorcycle accident, but it continues to inspire him today.

The Jets were the only team to call him this spring. General manager John Idzik signed him to a one-year contract after a mini-camp tryout in June. So far, it seems to be a great fit. The team has been very careful with his knees, letting him sit out of practice on Wednesday to save the wear and tear. And Winslow has developed a nice bond with rookie quarterback Geno Smith. Despite having no catches in the Jets' win over Buffalo last week, Winslow is the Jets' third leading receiver with 10 catches for 95 yards.

Jets coach Rex Ryan admits that when the team signed Winslow they weren't sure what they were going to get.

"You want Kellen Winslow like you remember Kellen Winslow, and then when he got here, you weren't sure," Ryan said. "He hadn't played, he gets here and you're like 'Oh, wow.' I see the skills. I see the great hands, the ground running and he moves better than I thought. He really is a warrior, there's no question and that's what I see about him. He loves to play."

Winslow Sr., believes that the Jets are a great fit for his son. He plans to be at every home game and about half of the away games this season, cheering on the son that he once wouldn't allow to play football.

"Right now, he's very happy," Winslow, Sr. said. "Being there with Rex and Marty [Mornhinweg], it's a good place for him. He's at peace."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...jets-1.6155864

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Kellen Winslow was one of those toddlers who never fell down. His father can't remember ever seeing his son trip or display an ounce of clumsiness. From the day he took his first step, he was supremely comfortable in his own body.

"I knew by the age of 7, he was going to be a better athlete than I ever was," the Chargers' Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow Sr., said. "I realized that it was going to be my goal to keep him away from tackle football as long as I possibly could."

Winslow grew up playing youth soccer, basketball and baseball in La Jolla, Calif. He also explored other interests such as music before he was allowed to join his high school football team as a freshman. Thanks to his father, Winslow grew up knowing that there was a lot more to life than football. And that may go a long way in explaining how Winslow ended up being a Jet this season, how he persevered through two tough periods in his life when the sport he always loved was suddenly taken away from him.

Winslow, 30, ignited a minor fantasy football frenzy in Week 1 when in his first game in almost a year he caught seven passes for 79 yards and one touchdown in the Jets' win over Tampa Bay. The performance caught many off guard, because there had been a lot of questions about just how much mileage was left in Winslow when the Jets signed him in May.

From 2006 to 2011, Winslow was one of the most productive tight ends in the league, averaging 72 catches a season. He was able to do this despite ripping up his knee in a 2005 motorcycle accident that caused him to miss the entire 2005 season as he battled staph infections and endured knee surgeries.

In 2012, however, Winslow played in just one game -- he had one catch for New England -- after being a late-summer cut by Seattle when he refused to take a salary cut. Though there was speculation that Winslow was cut from the Patriots because of knee troubles, he has said the problem was that by the time he came into camp he was too far behind in the playbook to compete for time with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

In some ways, sitting out most of last season was as hard as rehabbing from the motorcycle accident. Winslow believed he had the talent to play football on a high level.

"Here I was 29 about to turn 30, and no one was calling," Winslow said last week. "It was hard, really hard. I never lost confidence in my ability, but I lost confidence in the system. I was always determined that I would be back, but there were some days where I wondered if someone was going to want me."

Winslow credits his family -- his father and his wife, Janelle -- for helping him through the darker days.

"Kellen knows that football isn't everything, that there's so much more to his life," said Janelle, who Winslow first met when he was 14 years old. "He knows his football career is not forever, but when it was taken away from him and not on his terms, it was a hard thing for me to see him go through."

On his left forearm Winslow has a quote from the famous abolitionist Frederick Douglass. "Without struggle there is no progress," it reads. Winslow had it put there after his motorcycle accident, but it continues to inspire him today.

The Jets were the only team to call him this spring. General manager John Idzik signed him to a one-year contract after a mini-camp tryout in June. So far, it seems to be a great fit. The team has been very careful with his knees, letting him sit out of practice on Wednesday to save the wear and tear. And Winslow has developed a nice bond with rookie quarterback Geno Smith. Despite having no catches in the Jets' win over Buffalo last week, Winslow is the Jets' third leading receiver with 10 catches for 95 yards.

Jets coach Rex Ryan admits that when the team signed Winslow they weren't sure what they were going to get.

"You want Kellen Winslow like you remember Kellen Winslow, and then when he got here, you weren't sure," Ryan said. "He hadn't played, he gets here and you're like 'Oh, wow.' I see the skills. I see the great hands, the ground running and he moves better than I thought. He really is a warrior, there's no question and that's what I see about him. He loves to play."

Winslow Sr., believes that the Jets are a great fit for his son. He plans to be at every home game and about half of the away games this season, cheering on the son that he once wouldn't allow to play football.

"Right now, he's very happy," Winslow, Sr. said. "Being there with Rex and Marty [Mornhinweg], it's a good place for him. He's at peace."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...jets-1.6155864
    Good read again. We need Winslow to get a few catches early. Keep the Titans guessing as to who gets the ball. Marty Mornhinweg unpredictable play calling is a blessing.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Good read again. We need Winslow to get a few catches early. Keep the Titans guessing as to who gets the ball. Marty Mornhinweg unpredictable play calling is a blessing.
    they're both " keepers "

Hall Of Fame
    New York Jets starting left guard Vladimir Ducasse really impressed me in Week 2 against the New England Patriots, because he won his individual matchup against top notch Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, who has been on of the best DLs in this league for a long time. Wilfork ate up Colin Brown, who has no business starting in this league, for lunch in Week 1, but he was unable to have a good day against Ducasse, who played out of his mind. Ducasse, however, fell back down to earth in Week 3 against another division rival’s elite DT in the Buffalo Bills Kyle Williams, who is even better than Wilfork (about as good against the run, even better against the pass).

According to NJ.com’s Darryl Slater, Vladimir Ducasse committed four penalties against the Bills last week, and he was clearly beat by the better player, though I did expect Ducasse to fare out better than he actually did. He gave some well-deserved praise to Kyle Williams for causing problems for Ducasse and the Jets offensive line, “It was exciting going against a player like that. He’s so good at what he does. In my mind, he’s considered one of the best three techniques in the NFL. He just kind of helped me take my game to another level.”

Ducasse added, “How he adjusted to some of the stuff I was doing, how he adjusted so fast. Sometimes I’d be playing aggressive and then he’d use my aggressiveness against me. He did it (adjusted) so fast. He did it after like the first two plays.”

The New York Jets LG praised Williams’s physical tools and football IQ, and that lethal combination is what makes the uber-tough DT an elite player in this league. Vladimir Ducasse is a quality guard now that he is coming into his own, and we’ll see how he does against a Tennessee Titans team that possesses plenty of depth at talent at defensive tackle.

> http://nflspinzone.com/2013/09/28/ne...kyle-williams/

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets offensive line allowed the Titans to get to Geno Smith at will.

.This time, plethora of penalties costly to Jets.NASHVILLE, Tenn. — It’s such a fickle science. One week, the Jets offensive line can look like a combination of the old Redskins’ Hogs and the old Giants’ Suburbanites; that would be last week, when across 60 minutes, the Jets allowed the Buffalo Bills exactly zero sacks.

Zero.

Seven days later, it can look like this: invisible. Or at least vulnerable, if not worse. Five times the Titans sacked Geno Smith Sunday during Tennessee’s 38-13 ransacking of the Jets. Eleven times the Titans got close enough to the Jets quarterback to hit him, knock him down, and otherwise batter him.

Smith had an admittedly terrible day. But his foxhole guys up front surely didn’t do much to help the cause.

“They did everything we expected,” Jets guard Willie Colon said. “I don’t think they did anything we weren’t prepared for. We have to be more efficient up front. It’s about being one. Right now, the worst thing we could do is not stay together. So we have to stay together and move on.”

What helps, in a way, is that they were all on one similar page Sunday: they were awful and they were also sloppy. Vlad Ducasse was called for two penalties (though only one counted since Smith fumbled on one of them). D’Brickshaw Ferguson was whistled for one. And Colon had a killer, negating what would have ben a catch to Kellen Winslow inside the 10 when the game was still manageable.

Combine that with the jailbreaks they allowed up and down the field? It was enough to have Rex Ryan shaking his head.

“We’ll have to look at it,” Ryan said. “We knew they were going to pressure us. I think we got hit on a few screen passes that we have to do a much better job on, for sure.”

And while the focus of much of the concern postgame was on the rookie quarterback, it was clear he didn’t exactly have much support, running for his life as often as he was.

“We have to look at what we’re asking our guys to do,” Ryan said. “We’ve got to … there’s got to be accountability with everybody. And we certainly will be.”

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/29/jets-of...mbles-in-loss/

Hall Of Fame
    Kellen Winslow Passes Milestone in Titans Loss

In a game otherwise short of highlights for the Green & White, TE Kellen Winslow surpassed 5,000 receiving yards for his career in the 38-13 loss to Tennessee.

Needing 57 yards to reach the milestone, Winslow was held without a reception in the Week 3 win over Buffalo. Sunday, however, he made up for lost time, reeling in a team-high six catches for 73 yards.

“It doesn’t mean much,” he said of the achievement. “I expect a lot from myself. I've got a long way to go. My goals for myself are way past that. It is an achievement, but I'm trying to do way more than that.”

With a Hall of Fame tight end for a father (Kellen Winslow Sr. had 6,741 career receiving yards, by the way) and as the sixth overall pick of the 2004 draft, it’s not too surprising that his expectations are high.

Still, even with high expectations, it’s something to be proud of, as he becomes just the 32nd active player (joining teammate Santonio Holmes) and sixth active tight end to reach the benchmark.

Unfortunately, the individual triumph was overshadowed by the Jets' defeat.

“We couldn’t get anything going in the first half and we just got too far behind and couldn’t catch up,” Winslow said, “so we just have to go back to work and get better from it.”

One reason for the lack of production: Penalties. Again.

After setting a franchise record with 20 penalties last week, the Jets cut that number in half this week to 10, but it’s still 10 penalties too many.

“I thought they were going to be very correctable,” head coach Rex Ryan said of the errors. “Apparently I was wrong on penalties. But it’s going to be fixed. Come hell or high water, it’s going to be fixed.”

“It’s definitely mental [as opposed to physical],” Kellen said, “and as a team we have to do a better job. We just can’t do that. It hurts us.”

On the bright side, it’s an out-of-division matchup. In addition, the 25-point margin of defeat is irrelevant in the standings and it’s only one loss in a 16-game season.

"I have been around the league enough,” the nine-year veteran tight end said. “You've just got to go to work. When the team struggles, you can't get caught up in 'We're losing, so I've got to play like this.' ”

A week from tonight, the 2-2 Jets will have a chance to win their first road game of the year and climb back over .500 as they travel to Atlanta to take on the Falcons.

“Definitely a big challenge for us,” Winslow said of the primetime matchup. “We know what they have on offense, and the defense is good, too.”

In addition to QB Matt Ryan and his dynamic duo of wide receivers in Julio Jones and Roddy White, the Falcons have a tight end who’s not too shabby himself, 13-time Pro Bowler Tony Gonzalez.

If you thought Winslow’s been around for a while, just think about this: Gonzalez surpassed the 5,000-yard mark in 2003, before Kellen was even in the NFL. The 17-year veteran sits atop the receiving-yards leaderboard for tight ends all-time with 14,361 yards.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-19943f91babd

Hall Of Fame

Arrow

Running back Mike Goodson stepped onto a practice field for the first time in months as the active member of an NFL team. His four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy has ended, and he will be able to play on Monday night when the New York Jets head to Atlanta.Goodson“Words can’t even express how excited I am,” Goodson said. “Just to be able to be out there, we just had a walk-through to be back out there with my teammates, even just watching them go through a walk-through, being able to be out there is cool.”

Goodson, who was acquired in the offseason, was arrested in New Jersey soon after becoming a Jet. He was found stopped on the highway in a car that contained a gun and marijuana.Goodson was absent through training camp for what the Jets would only describe as a personal matter. Goodson and Chris Ivory, who missed last Sunday’s loss in Tennessee with an injured hamstring, were big-ticket acquisitions, and Goodson hopes he can provide something for the Jets’ offense.“Just a spark, hopefully a spark,” the six-foot, 210-pound Goodson said. “Wherever they choose to place me.”

In the meantime, Jets running back Bilal Powell is averaging 73 yards a game, which ties him with Arian Foster for second place in the AFC behind New England’s Shane Vereen.

“I just come in and work hard every day and try to let my abilities on the field speak for itself,” Powell said. “It’s good that the coaches notice my hard wok during the offseason and training camp, and give me the opportunities to get the carries.”

The fact is, the Jets' running game is the most reliable part of the offense, and Powell has been a steady and durable presence as the two shiny new running backs have been on the shelf.

With a rookie quarterback in Geno Smith who has eight interceptions in the first four games, some pundits have suggested the Jets would be better off letting the run game absorb more of the offensive pressure.

Having Goodson as a second healthy back might be a way to reduce the wear and tear on Powell.

“We look forward to seeing what he can do,” Powell said.

Goodson said he has been working out regularly at the facility and has spent the past four games focused on football and the playbook. He said he expects to be ready Monday, although he isn’t sure what the coaching staff has planned for him.

“I feel good,” Goodson said. “I’m healthy strong, fast, and ready to play.”

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...es-ready-to-go

Hall Of Fame

Arrow

Good Geno, Bad Geno: Glimpses of both showed up in the first 13 minutes of the game. Let's start with the bad since it reared its head on the second play, Geno Smith's interception on the throw to Stephen Hill. It seemed fairly straight forward, just an underthrown pass, but there was more to it than that. Smith's first read, I'm told, was Santonio Holmes on a front-side post route. Holmes broke into the clear over the middle, but it was too late. Smith moved off Holmes too quickly, setting his sights on Hill, 27 yards downfield. Smith threw it to the wrong guy. Bad read, bad throw, bad everything. It set a bad tone for the game.

Later in the first quarter, with 2:22 remaining, Smith made one of those plays that makes you think he can be The Guy. On a third-and-10, he hung tough in the pocket and got blasted as he delivered a 25-yard strike to Holmes, who made a diving catch. Late in the game, Smith showed terrific ball placement on a crossing route to Jeff Cumberland, who made the catch and ran most of the way for a 37-yard touchdown. Unfortunately for Smith, the bad plays far outweighed the good ones.Karl Klug and the Tennessee defense made operating tough for Geno Smith this past Sunday.

Interception No. 2: This was another bad decision by Smith. He received nice pass protection on a five-man rush, but he stared down Holmes the entire time, failing to see Kellen Winslow open over the middle. He forced the ball to Holmes, who was blanketed by Alterraun Verner, an emerging talent at cornerback. Verner made his second interception of the day.

Let's not forget the sacks: I'd attribute two of the five sacks to Smith's indecision in the pocket. A quarterback should not be sacked on a screen pass, but Smith let it happen twice, resulting in losses of 14 yards (a near safety) and 14 yards (the Behind-the-Butt Fumble/strip sack/touchdown). On the first one, he was supposed to throw a middle screen to Bilal Powell, but Powell got caught up in the traffic. Smith saw it, but instead of dirting the ball, he retreated.

On the touchdown, the timing of the play was out of sync from the outset, as DT Karl Klug got into Smith's face immediately. Powell was open in the left flat. The play reminded me of the Ziggy Ansah pick-six in the preseason. Unlike Mark Sanchez, Smith ate the ball, trying the ill-advised, behind-the-back maneuver. Bad idea. The result was the same as the Sanchez play -- six points the other way.

Dealing with the blitz: The Jets shouldn't have been surprised by anything they saw from the Titans defense. In the first three games, the Titans sent five or more rushers on 45 percent of the pass plays. Unofficially, they sent extra rushers on 44 percent of the plays against the Jets, who struggled against the five-man rushes in particular -- two interceptions, two sacks. The damning statistic? The Jets allowed four sacks on first down. Not good.

Here's a breakdown of how Smith fared versus the different rushes:

Three man: 3-for-3, 48 yards.

Four-man: 13-for-16, 104 yards, two sacks, two scrambles for 19 yards.

Five-man: 5-for-11, 77 yards, two interceptions, two sacks.

Six-man: 2-for-3, 70 yards, 1 sack.

Eight-man: 0-for-1. (This occurred with the ball at the Jets' 2-yard line. It was a classic jailbreak and, by the whistle, 17 of the 22 players on the field were in the end zone.)

Vlad's Waterloo?: This was the second straight poor performance by LG Vladimir Ducasse, who is on the verge of being replaced by rookie Brian Winters. That change likely will occur this week, according to a source. It might have happened in the preseason, but Winters missed time with an ankle injury. Ducasse played well in Week 2 against the New England Patriots, but he followed with a four-penalty game against the Buffalo Bills. In Nashville, his pass protection was terrible.

Ducasse didn't allow any sacks, per se, but he surrendered pressures that contributed to the Titans' first two sacks. On the first sack, he got caught leaning to his left and was beaten with an inside move by DT Jurrell Casey. On the second sack, Ducasse got turned around -- his back was literally facing the line of scrimmage -- and was beaten by DT Antonio Johnson, who flushed Smith out of the pocket.

By my count, Ducasse allowed three pressures and four QB hits. And, oh yes, he was flagged for a false start and holding (declined).

Odds and ends: The Jets' standing as the No. 1 red zone defense took a hit, as they allowed three touchdowns in four red zone chances. On Delanie Walker's 1-yard touchdown catch, LB David Harris bit hard on a play fake and couldn't get back in time. On Justin Hunter's 16-yard scoring reception at the end of the first half, an absolute killer, the Jets had the perfect call. They used quarters coverage, with a defender on every receiver in the end zone. Problem was, CB Darrin Walls let the rookie beat him in a jump-ball situation.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...genos-mistakes

Hall Of Fame
    Our offense could be feeling a little sore and thin this week as it fights through some injuries at wide receiver and running back. But the "O" may also get a shot of adrenaline with the return of RB Mike Goodson from his four-game suspension.

"Words can’t even express how excited I am, just being able to be back out there," Goodson said from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room Monday. "We just had a walkthrough, and to be back out there with my teammates and even just watching them go through a walkthrough, being able to be out there is cool."

Just think of how pumped Goodson will be for live practices later this week.

He said he has maintained strict two-a-day workout and nutrition schedules, and he's not overly concerned about "getting into football shape."

"I think the stuff I was doing was pretty applicable. It's nothing like football, though," he said. "Going through a week of practice, I think I'll be ready. ... I'm healthy, strong, fast and ready to play."

Head coach Rex Ryan could have some details about how Goodson will be introduced into the offense. Bilal Powell has been taking the majority of the tailback touches, with his 292 rushing yards tied for the AFC lead with Houston's Arian Foster."Bilal's doing a tremendous job for us," Ryan said. "I can't say enough good things about him."We'll know more later this week about whether or not Chris Ivory can return to action after sitting out the Tennessee game with a hamstring injury. Alex Green and rookie FB Tommy Bohanon have been pitching in with the offensive carries.

Most fans don't know a lot about Goodson, who's had only 160 carries in three seasons with Carolina and one with Oakland. But he had good averages of 4.5 yards per carry and 8.9 per reception in those seasons. He also has had 91 career kickoff returns for 21.9 yards per return.He's itching to use his athletic ability to help Geno Smith and the offense move, improve and progress. At the 2009 NFL Combine workouts, he was seventh among all RBs with a 4.54-second time in the 40. And his most impressive combine event was the vertical jump — his 39.5" leap is 10th-best among all RBs at the last six combines combined.

Goodson doesn't know how he'll be used, but he knows that he wants to be used. What can he add to our attack beginning in Game 5 at Atlanta on Monday night? "Hopefully a spark," he said. "Wherever they choose to put me at, just bring a spark."

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Backup Titans DE Karl Klug executed a rare "triple play" against Geno Smith and the Jets early in the fourth quarter Sunday. Klug forced the Smith fumble, recovered it and scored with it.That's only the third time since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger that an opponent has performed all three feats in the course of one fumble play against the Jets. You'll remember that San Diego LB Donald Butler plucked the ball away from TE Dustin Keller after a reception and took it 37 yards for the TD just 1:49 into our 2011 home game against the Chargers.And New England S Tebucky Jones did the same on a sack of Vinny Testaverde in the Jets' 2002 home opener.

Only two Jets players have a similar trifecta. S Kerry Rhodes forced a Brandon Jacobs fumble and took the ball 11 yards for the score in the opening quarter of the 2007 game at the Giants.And DT Darrell Davis' major contribution in his two Jets seasons came in his rookie season when he strip-sacked Warren Moon and pounced on the loose ball in the end zone in the 1990 game against the Oilers in the Astrodome.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...2-9dd554f05c02