Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O dept. : Marty Ball ! !

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    2012 was not all of sanchez fault but he more than played his part.......bottom line is that sanchez, smith and Garrard will all get a chance..may the best man win.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Boy I am pumped about MM. He is our first legit OC since I can remember (Henning?). Geno Smith is fortunate to have an OC with his resume and experience in developing QBs.

Unfortunately Sanchez got screwed. However, I wouldn't be surprised if MM helps him too. If we truly let the competition play out it should be a fierce battle between Sanchez, Gerrard, and Smith. I can honestly say I won't be surprised with whoever wins. Remember, Gerrard was in line to win the Fins starting job before he got hurt in TC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't see that happening...Marty has been a HC in the league before. Ryan is not playing for his coaching life in 2013.....Marty saw an opportunity to put his offensive mind stamp on a new team that desperately needed to be offensively recharged. Not sure why everything has to do with ulterior motives. Marty enjoys being a OC. When he was a HC the team did not fare as well as when he was the HC. The jets just lucked out by getting arguably their best OC ever. Jets have a good o line...some darn good backs...serviceable receivers and are currently looking to bring in another veteran or two. They also have a top notch defense. Marty I would assume saw this as a nice opportunity and he has three qbs to work with....geno is a rookie with great upside....Garrard is a veteran who has won games and say what you want about sanchez, but he has seen the bullets fly. Look at our qb's now compared to last season this time....you cannot even make a close comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I am not, I repeat NOT a conspiracy theorist or a big speculator. But when a guy with the QB stable, playoff pedigree, and offensive achievement of Morhinweg decided to take the Jets OC job, it didn't make sense to me. Not at first.

Then all of the sudden it did. Mr. Johnson and Mr. Idzik made it clear that if Rex Ryan stumbles, the HC job is Morhinweg's.

It makes perfect sense. And this article even adds a bit to it (the bright lights, big city dream of coaching in New York isn't really about being an OC, is it?)

Tell me I'm crazy. There is zero doubt in my mind the front office dangled the HC job in his face.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and there are coordinators who prefer to be coordinators...we cannot assume that the OC came here to pad his rep to get he head coaching job. ot of good coaches like a sean payton and bill cowher did not really win the big games until they finally got a viable OC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Thought that too at first when I read his comments about coaching in NY, but on second thought, actually doesn't make much sense.

If Marty does his job well enough to earn a head coaching spot, this team will make the playoffs and Rex isn't going anywhere. With Rex we know we'll have a top 10 (possibly top 5) D. If Marty can get this O inside the top 13 or so (which is probably needed to justify a HC job), we're in great shape. Rex stays as coach and Marty is the OC.

Since he is responsible for O, any plan of being promoted would probably mean Rex would have to crap the bed on D.

Don't see that happening.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not, I repeat NOT a conspiracy theorist or a big speculator. But when a guy with the QB stable, playoff pedigree, and offensive achievement of Morhinweg decided to take the Jets OC job, it didn't make sense to me. Not at first.

Then all of the sudden it did. Mr. Johnson and Mr. Idzik made it clear that if Rex Ryan stumbles, the HC job is Morhinweg's.

It makes perfect sense. And this article even adds a bit to it (the bright lights, big city dream of coaching in New York isn't really about being an OC, is it?)

Tell me I'm crazy. There is zero doubt in my mind the front office dangled the HC job in his face.
    With a 5-27 record as a HC, I doubt that he'll get another shot. Basically, it's "The Peter Principle, where "Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

You get a job and do well, earning a promotion. You do that new job well and get promoted again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, you get promoted to a job that is beyond your abilities and you suck at it. Some people are lucky and only have to fall back to their previous position. Marty went back to doing what he was great at which is being an OC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly...we can also look at buddy ryan and other outstanding coordinators who flamed out as head coaches and once again shined when they went back to being coordinators. I recall his dismal record and I am sure he is more comfortable worrying about what got him this far in the league.....Offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    With a 5-27 record as a HC, I doubt that he'll get another shot. Basically, it's "The Peter Principle, where "Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

You get a job and do well, earning a promotion. You do that new job well and get promoted again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, you get promoted to a job that is beyond your abilities and you suck at it. Some people are lucky and only have to fall back to their previous position. Marty went back to doing what he was great at which is being an OC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    people lauged at the jets after last season but a really competent OC like marty knew a good thing when he saw it....an chance to put in his system behind a good line with nice new toys at running back.....The jets current job looks pretty attractive right about now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    people lauged at the jets after last season but a really competent OC like marty knew a good thing when he saw it....an chance to put in his system behind a good line with nice new toys at running back.....The jets current job looks pretty attractive right about now.

Jets job would have looked at least somewhat attractive to anyone who looked at it. I mean, all an incoming OC is really required to do is to make the offense better than what Sparano ran. How hard is that ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you just nailed it with that statement.

Jets job would have looked at least somewhat attractive to anyone who looked at it. I mean, all an incoming OC is really required to do is to make the offense better than what Sparano ran. How hard is that ?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm guessing he wants Marty to buy us Eagles playoff ticke?
    Yeah thats it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could go full on madden, FB Draw over and over, and it would still be more creative than Sporanlol.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it looks better with geno running it. marty has to be much happier now than he was when he took the gig. he's got 2 new rbs and a new qb who may have the accuracy to run his offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith's Real Problem : The Playbook
    Rookie QB Must Quickly Learn Pro-Style Offense

Geno Smith had his first practice with new Jets' offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg on Friday.

Geno Smith, the Jets' rookie quarterback, put on his Jets jersey for the first time on Friday. Over the last few weeks, there have been smoky rumors about his character, his attitude, his study habits. But there's a much bigger problem looming with Smith, and it has nothing to do with how often he smiles: He may not be equipped to run the Jets' offense.

Or any NFL offense, for that matter.

Smith was the grand marshal of an unstoppable offense at West Virginia. In one game against Baylor, he threw for 656 yards. The only problem is he did it in coach Dana Holgorsen's "air raid" offense, which has as much similarity to an NFL offense as the Knicks' offense does.Smith must undergo a transformation that is rarely pulled off in pro football, changing from a strictly college system to a typically pro offense, run in new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast style.

"The West Coast offense is one of the toughest offenses to learn," Smith said at the team's rookie minicamp Friday. "But it wasn't too foreign, I've been studying my butt off...it's been a transition."

It starts with the formations. West Virginia's offense leans heavily on the shotgun, where the quarterback is lined up a few yards behind the center. The Mountaineers mix and match styles and looks, but the idea is always the same: The quarterback isn't under center.The Jets' offense does on occasion, but more often it puts the quarterback directly behind the center before doing a three- or five-step drop. West Virginia ran out of the shotgun 875 times last year; that's 87.7% of their plays. The Jets last season ran 401 plays in shotgun, 38.8% of their plays. The Philadelphia Eagles, where Mornhinweg coached last season, ran 56% of their plays from the shotgun.

To compensate, Smith says, he's working constantly on his footwork. He's working on sliding his feet and making his drop-steps faster. That will be pivotal, since he rarely had to evade defenders when at West Virginia, since he was so far behind the offensive line.Smith admitted that his grasp of the offense is still a work in progress. He said he's trying to learn the first installment of the offense "and I'm not even sure if I've got that 100%," he said with a smile.The second difference is the routes. Mornhinweg's offense relies on horizontal routes that are executed quickly, with precision and based almost entirely on timing. Smith's former offense was all about simple deep passing routes, wheel routes out of the backfield and long, looping passes thrown impossibly high while wide receivers ran toward the goal posts as fast as they possibly can. When West Virginia threw quickly, it was usually to one of the five receivers they would spread out across the field, a tactic still seldom used at the pro level. Smith said there are some similarities between the Jets and Mountaineers. He must have meant that both offenses use a football.

Smith spent extra time after practice talking to his coaches on what he needs to improve on during his spare time. That talk included "everything," he said. He said he's studying former West Coast-style stars Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb, though he said he won't compare himself to any of those players.Jets coach Rex Ryan said Friday that Smith "knows the offense' and he was fine commanding the huddle and knowing what to do on Friday. Still, he hinted there will be college-to-NFL growing pains. For instance, in one play early on, Smith was trying to avoid the strongside linebacker and double-clutched the ball. "That doesn't really work in this league," Ryan said.

Smith was evasive when he was asked whether he would like the Jets to incorporate some of his college concepts into their playbook, as teams have recently done with young quarterbacks. The Washington Redskins, for instance, borrowed heavily from Baylor's playbook when they drafted former Bears star quarterback Robert Griffin III, who torched defenses last year. The Redskins run the pistol formations and dozens of other Baylor concepts that were mostly foreign to the NFL before Griffin's arrival.Smith wouldn't even admit the Jets' offense and the Mountaineers' offense are that different. "Routes are routes," he said.Smith is expected to compete with incumbent Mark Sanchez for the Jets' starting quarterback position, though he said Sanchez will get a majority of the reps in training camp. Most of those reps won't be in shotgun.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets’ offense is going through a metamorphosis. Gone are the days of the Eastern style of pounding the football, and in is the West Coast offense under the direction of Marty Mornhinweg. We have talked about how the West Coast offense works, in terms of being based on a horizontal passing game, and quick decisions.We can talk in generalities about the characteristics of the WCO, but why not go deeper? Why not take a look at how Marty Mornhinweg calls a game? Are there any trends that we can look at, that may translate into the upcoming season, and hopefully years to come ?

To analyze, I went back to two games in 2012, a win (week 1), and a loss (week 8). Let’s look at these games and see if the numbers tell us anything.

First we look at play distribution. In both of these games, the emphasis was on the pass. In week 1, Marty called 58 pass plays against only 30 rushing plays. In the week 8 loss to Atlanta, Marty ran 38 passing plays against only 24 rushes. This is all very typical of a West Coast offense, as it is always built on the short passes setting up the run.Look at the average gain per pass play as well. In the week one win, the Eagles averaged 5.3 yards gained per pass play. In the week eight loss, the Eagles averaged a gain of 4.7 yards per pass play. This tells us, as expected, that there are a lot of 3 step drops happening here, with quick decisions. Little slants, in-cuts, screen passes, etc., are always going to be prevalent here. The passing game is based horizontally, not vertically, which is what keeps the average down.

Now you go to the play by play and look at trends. In the week one win, every drive except for three began with passing plays. All of those passes except for one went for over 10 yards. Same idea in the game from week 8 against the Falcons. All drives but two went for passes, and the completed passes to open a drive went for no longer than 12 yards. This is classic West Coast offense. Bill Walsh would be proud.And screen passes ? Always, there are screen passes. In week one, I counted 10 targets to running backs in the short passing game. In the week 8 matchup against the Falcons, there were only 2 short passes thrown to running backs, but the lead sustained in double digits for most of this game, so there was a mitigating factor that kept the passing game away from the running backs, but that doesn’t change the fact that Marty is fond of using the backs out of the backfield. He once had a fullback with 60 receptions in one year, which tells you all you need to know about the philosophy.

Some takeaways as far as the Jets are concerned? Well for one thing, be ready to see an offense that looks like nothing we have seen in the past with these guys. The days of 1st and 10, run, second and 7, run, and third and 5, pass, are over. The Jets are going to pass early on in their series, and will spread the ball around.Another obvious point is that the passing game will consist solely of 3 and 5 step drops at the most. No longer are we going to see deep drops with Mark or Geno getting a long time to think about what they are doing. Instead, we will see quick drops, and quick decisions, not giving the quarterback too much time to out think themselves.

Finally, Chris Ivory and company had better have their hands ready. We see in these games that Marty uses the running back a lot in the passing game, and overall, we see that the running back is always near the top of the team in receptions. They are going to be active this fall, no doubt about that.Bottom line is that the new Jets’ offense is not even going to resemble the offense of the past. Is this a good thing? Absolutely, AM I RIGHT ?

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/05/19/ne...inweg-offense/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup...

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't read this without being a paid subscriber.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I would think there is zero chance they told him Rex may be gone and the job is yours.

No one would want a coach that came on board only to replace the current HC. What kind of coach is he going to be if Rex and the Jets don't stumble?

And if they decide to get rid of Rex why would they put themselves in a corner, have to promote MM? Without knowing what he turns out to be as OC? That would be silly, not like he has a HC resume thats on a par with his OC resume.

If he wants a HC gig, he will at least get himself back into the conversation as a OC in NY.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I would think there is zero chance they told him Rex may be gone and the job is yours.

No one would want a coach that came on board only to replace the current HC. What kind of coach is he going to be if Rex and the Jets don't stumble?

And if they decide to get rid of Rex why would they put themselves in a corner, have to promote MM? Without knowing what he turns out to be as OC? That would be silly, not like he has a HC resume thats on a par with his OC resume.

If he wants a HC gig, he will at least get himself back into the conversation as a OC in NY.
    if he can get ANY reasonable amount of production out of our O...he'll get a hc job offer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why wait, Jets ?
    Play Geno Smith now

The Jets could follow the same path with Geno Smith that Miami took with Ryan Tannehill in 2012.

Don't waste any time, New York Jets.

Start the Geno Smith era with Gang Green right now.

Do not wait until 2014. Do not even wait until Week 8 of the 2013 regular season. For the long-term betterment of the Jets organization, Smith should be the starter in Week 1 and New York should never look back.

Why wait ?

What is the point in the Jets going another year with embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez? He represents New York's ugly past and is on borrowed time. The only reason he's on the roster in the first place is his guaranteed $8.25 million salary this season. New York should make Sanchez an expensive backup and keep it moving. Releasing Sanchez is another option, although chances are slim because it would cost the Jets a $12.35 million cap hit this year and a $4.8 million cap hit next year.But starting Sanchez should be out of the question. We already know where the Sanchez train is going -- and it’s not anywhere good. It would be bad for the Jets, bad for the fans and even bad for Sanchez, who clearly is regressing and needs a fresh start in 2014. One bad game with the Jets and New York fans will be ready to turn on Sanchez, and the entire team, again. Remember "Tebow-mania" last year? Think "Geno-mania" if New York doesn't learn from this mistake. The young, rebuilding Jets would be doing themselves a favor to avoid this scenario.

Smith represents a much brighter future and a new era in New York. He is the first quarterback pick for first-year general manager John Idzik. The Jets showed this offseason they are forward-thinking and not dwelling on the past. Look no further than New York's shrewd move to trade star cornerback Darrelle Revis -- its most talented player -- and draft Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner. If the Jets can quickly move on from “Revis Island,” they certainly can move on from “The Sanchize.”The Jets are not going to the playoffs, with or without Sanchez under center. Their biggest goal for 2013 should be developing their young quarterback for the future. That would be taking a page out of the Miami Dolphins’ playbook of last season with Ryan Tannehill. A year later, Miami is the biggest threat to the New England Patriots atop the AFC East. The Jets can do the same if they play their cards right and properly develop Smith, who wants to play immediately.“I love to compete,” Smith said on a conference call with the New York media. “Mark is a guy who I watched at USC, watched him in the NFL, and I think highly of him. … [But] I’m coming in as a rookie and I’m going to compete and I’m also going to accept my role, whatever it is.”

Sanchez has received more chances than any quarterback in the past four years. Sanchez was expected to compete with 35-year-old David Garrard, who hasn’t thrown a regular-season pass in two years. The Jets, for the fifth consecutive season, were virtually handing Sanchez the job again. But things changed when New York turned in its card Friday with the 39th overall pick. Smith essentially fell into the Jets’ lap in the second round after New York reportedly considered him with the No. 13 pick in the first round. The Jets also tried to trade up to start the second round but couldn't. Everything worked out for the best.Smith was the second quarterback taken, but nearly everyone -- sorry, Buffalo and EJ Manuel -- rated him as the best quarterback in this draft. Smith certainly has the fewest flaws and appears NFL-ready. It also doesn’t hurt that Smith is coming to New York with a chip on his shoulder after being passed over by every team with a first-round pick. Six more passed on Smith again in the second round before the Jets ended his rough draft outing.

There are some questions with Smith that the Jets must work through. For example, he might have some composure and maturity issues, which he showed during the draft by storming out of the green room Thursday after being bypassed in the first round, then guaranteeing that the Jets will make the playoffs Friday during an interview with the NFL Network. But Smith is young, and, with the proper guidance, he can be taught how to handle things better at the next level.But what can't be taught is the physical tools and natural ability Smith brings to the table. Smith has a good arm, good mobility, is very competitive and fits in new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast scheme. That should be enough for the Jets to turn the page immediately.“I’m excited to be a Jet,” Smith said. “My time has come now, so I’m going to accept it.”

Sanchez had his turn in New York, and it's time to move on. Smith’s time has just begun -- and the sooner the Jets hand him the football, the better it will be for the entire organization.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...geno-smith-now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a long holiday weekend, the final week of organized team activities begins for most teams on Tuesday. It’s only May, but the pressure is certainly on New York Jets embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez.

It’s important for Sanchez to finish strong in the final week of OTAs. He had a three-interception performance in practice last week that raised some eyebrows. An anonymous Jets teammate also told CBSSports.com that “80 or 90” percent of the locker room thinks Sanchez is out of chances and it’s time to hand over the job to someone else. These are all signs that New York’s incumbent is losing momentum in the four-way quarterback competition.The biggest issue for Sanchez is he hasn’t been able to separate himself from the likes of rookie Geno Smith and backups Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. Sanchez has a huge advantage over his competition in playing time and experience. He is supposed to look much better than his unproven competitors this time of year, but that hasn’t been the case.

If Sanchez cannot create separation now, the more likely it is for New York’s coaching staff to go in another direction in September. If Sanchez and Smith are on equal footing, why wouldn’t the Jets start anew and give their rookie second-round pick a chance? We already know what kind of quarterback Sanchez is entering his fifth season. His struggles in OTAs and camps would provide more reason for the Jets to turn the page.If Sanchez is truly "The Sanchize," it is time to show why he's the incumbent. Staying within the pack of inexperienced quarterbacks is not good enough for a player who has 62 career starts and once led the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games.

The only Jets practice open to the media this week will be on Thursday. So we won't get a peek at how Sanchez is progressing this week until then.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...b-mark-sanchez