Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: O dept. : Marty Ball ! !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets running game has been a question mark, but on Saturday night, it was hardly a weak spot.

First up, running back Chris Ivory was on the field after missing two weeks with a sore hamstring. He wasn’t as productive as he’d hoped but said his coaches were pleased with his first game action as a Jet.

"They thought I did good," Ivory said of the Jets coaching staff, "but we still have a lot to work on. We have to get in a rhythm and get more of a feel for the offense."

Ivory had six carries for 13 yards -- an average of 2.2 yards per carry -- but he was second to Bilal Powell with the first-team offense. Jets coach Rex Ryan said the plan was to be conservative with Ivory.

"I know we all want to see the new toy we have back there -- and it’s a good-looking one -- but we were just being smart with him," Ryan said. "We didn’t want to overdo it with him. He’s a big, powerful man, and we wanted to get him going a little bit."

Powell had seven carries for 68 yards for an average 9.7 yards per touch. Powell also took two direct snaps, which produced a first down and eight yards, respectively.

"I was really pleased with Bilal Powell," Ryan said, "I’ve always been. I thought he had a big day."

RB Joe McKnight (head injury) was not active for Saturday’s game, and free-agent acquisition Mike Goodson has not shown up for training camp. The Jets are not disclosing the nature of his absence.

Ivory’s durability has been an issue in past seasons, but if he can stay healthy, the Jets unveiled what could be an increasingly solid backfield duo.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...led-at-metlife

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hole created by the offensive line could have easily fit a car or maybe even a small truck, so you can imagine the ease with which 5’10”, 204-pound Bilal Powell maneuvered through it and into the second level of the defense.

Powell was eventually brought down after a 37-yard gain, helped out greatly by his linemen and some slippery moves of his own that allowed him to evade several would-be tacklers.The play occurred with nine minutes remaining in the first quarter of our second preseason game and would prove to be the longest running play of the evening in the 37-13 win over the Jaguars at MetLife Stadium on Saturday night.Veteran guard Willie Colon was impressed with the execution of the offensive line, especially when it came to clearing space for the ground game.“That’s our goal every week,” Colon said, “Obviously, the run opens up the pass and we felt like we had a beat on them and we were able to execute.”

Powell did not see the field after the first half but finished with 68 yards on seven carries, good for 9.7 yards per touch.Head coach Rex Ryan was satisfied with the efficiency of the running game, which totaled 176 yards rushing in four quarters of play, the most in a Jets preseason game since 2009.“I like the way we ran the ball, there’s no doubt about it,” Ryan said, “and I liked our protection on offense.”The Jets entered halftime with a three-point deficit as a Mark Sanchez scramble and throwaway as time expired in the second quarter prevented a tying field goal. The second-team offense, with Sanchez still at QB, took the field to start the third quarter trying to shift the momentum.“I loved the way we came out in the second half with the twos and that temperament that we carried onto the field,” Ryan said. “They certainly were ready to play and they did a tremendous job.”

If Powell was the top first-half rusher, the recently signed Kahlil Bell did his best to upstage the third-year back when he got the call in the second half.After we settled for a punt on the first possession of the second half, we forced a punt of our own and took the ball at midfield with just over 11 minutes remaining in the third quarter. Sanchez maneuvered the offense into Jacksonville territory, and soon it was up to Bell to finish the job.After consecutive runs of 14 and 3 yards, the Jets had the ball on Jacksonville’s 5. The ball was once again tucked into the waiting arms of Bell, who punched it in.“The first one was just a draw,” Bell said. “The coaches did a good job of game-planning and knowing the defense was going to run out so Mark pumped them real quick, gave me the ball and it was kind of wide open. I pretty much could pick where I wanted to go. We did a good job of getting a good push and finished that one off.”

On the next drive, Bell wasted no time in making sure this game would be one he’d remember.After linebacker Danny Lansanah intercepted a Chad Henne pass, the Jets began the following drive deep in Jaguars territory.Bell wiggled his way to the 1-yard line on a 4-yard rush and on his second attempt from the doorstep he was able to power in for his second score of the night — becoming the first Jet since Danny Woodhead in 2009 to score two TDs in one preseason game.“It was just a regular lead, it was just right up the middle and we got a surge on the front side,” said Bell, who finished with 29 yards on 11 attempts. “I got hit at the line, bounced back weakside and tried to make some extra effort and I was lucky enough to get into the end zone.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-7718136c2858

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets running back Joe McKnight was back on the practice field yesterday, and he expects to be on the MetLife Stadium field Saturday when the Jets face the Giants.

“I’m playing Saturday,” McKnight told The Post.

McKnight has been dealing with a head injury that the Jets have not labeled as a concussion. It has kept him out of the team’s first two preseason games, and he missed most of last week’s practices.

McKnight practiced but was wearing a red jersey — meaning, no contact. McKnight said the next step in his return to the field is being cleared for contact. It has been an eventful training camp for McKnight, who failed his initial conditioning test, was arrested for outstanding traffic violations and has clashed with the media.

CLOSE TO HOLMES: Jets GM John Idzik said wideout Santonio Holmes (above) is “hopefully ... close” to returning to practice after two foot surgeries.
    * Jets fans could be seeing wide receiver Santonio Holmes sooner than expected.

General manager John Idzik sounded as optimistic as anyone has in the organization about Holmes’ return yesterday morning on WFAN.

“Hopefully, we’re close,” Idzik said about Holmes returning to practice.

Idzik said Holmes, currently on the physically unable to perform list, has been running and cutting. Before Saturday’s preseason game with the Jaguars, Holmes was running at full speed and catching passes from quarterback Geno Smith.

Holmes, 29, is recovering from two surgeries on his left foot to repair a Lisfranc injury. He hasn’t participated in any training camp practices, and his return date has been a bit of a mystery. Holmes said last week that he could not run yet, but he was filmed by a fan in the stands running at about 75 percent on the same day.

* Punter Robert Malone was back on the field after missing practice last week with a lower back injury. Malone is fighting for his job against Ryan Quigley. .... NT Kenrick Ellis (back), LB Josh Mauga (back) and C Dalton Freeman (ankle) did not practice. ... Rex Ryan began his press conference yesterday with a video highlighting some plays from Saturday night. He spoke highly of CB Darrin Walls and praised WRs Stephen Hill and Braylon Edwards for their blocking in the game. ... The Jets went live on a fourth-and-1 play yesterday and gave it to RB Chris Ivory, who trucked his way to a first down. Ryan called it “BYOB,” as in “be your own blocker.”

> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...m_content=Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ex-Jets: We want Sanchez

Mark Sanchez may not be the people's choice, but he's the choice of many former Jets.

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

Tuesday's advantage: Smith

Geno Smith's day: Completed 11 of 12 in team drills, including a long TD. Only hiccup was an INT in 7-on-7s.
    Mark Sanchez's day: Went 4-for-7 with the backups, but overthrew a wide-open receiver for a would-be TD.
    Quote: "He looked good. I still don't think his ankle is 100 percent, but he's certainly getting close to that." -- Rex Ryan on Smith

More than 20 ex-Jets, mostly from the 1960s, 70s and 80s, attended practice Tuesday as part of an alumni day. ESPNNewYork.com polled a dozen alums, posing the question: Who would you start on opening day, Sanchez or Geno Smith? The results :

Sanchez -- Nine votes

Smith -- Zero

Undecided -- Three

Here's a sampling of comments:

Bobby Jackson, CB, 1980s: "I'm not a big Mark Sanchez fan, but I'm a realist. He gives them the best chance."

John Schmitt, C, Super Bowl III team: "I'd say Mark. He knows what to expect. It's so hard for a kid to come out of college and grasp an NFL offense and grasp NFL defenses, as well. ... Geno needs a lot more time. That's my honest feeling."

Bruce Harper, KR, 1970s/80s: "From an outsider's view, I'd say Mark. He's the veteran and I don't think they've seen enough of Geno. ... Mark is the man until proven otherwise."

Joe Klecko, DT, 1970s/80s: "It's up in the air. If the kid shows something against the Giants, I think it throws a dilemma into Rex's kitchen. Sanchez has too much baggage. If Geno does well, it's a good dilemma."

Chad Cascadden, LB, 1990s: "Mark's ready, Geno's not ready yet. Mark's a four-year starter, he's seen it all. I don't think Geno has done enough to unseat that. I like how Mark responded two games ago after that early interception in Detroit. He bounced back quickly. You need that leadership."

Richard Caster, TE, 1970s: "Unless something goes crazy, I think you have to start with the established quarterback. Unless [Smith] is super-duper, out of this world against the Giants, I'd go with the proven commodity."

Randy Beverly, DB, Super Bowl III team: "I'm still wide open. I want to see more."

Jeff Richardson, OL, Super Bowl III team: "I'd go with Sanchez. Right now, I haven't seen enough of Geno. I could switch. I'm not married to Sanchez by any means. He's given me some disappointing times."

Ted Banker, G, 1980s: "I haven't seen enough of Geno, so I'd go with Sanchez. He's still making mistakes, though. If you go by interceptions and the number of quarters he's played in the preseason, that projects to a lot of interceptions. But I think Rex [Ryan] will go with what he knows, which tells me he'll go with Sanchez."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...e-want-sanchez

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stephen Peterman has been in the league since 2004, but this afternoon’s practice was unique for the vet.

“Instead of just playing guard, we’re trying to look at Stephen as a center as well,” head coach Rex Ryan said post-practice. “So that’s where he got most of his reps today.”The veteran offensive lineman has never played center, dating back as far as his high school days. But the Green & White coaches hope to teach this old dog a new trick.“They just asked me if I would try it this week for emergency situations,” the 31-year-old Peterman said. “I went out there and told them I’d give it a try today.”

While he was surprised the coaches asked him to work at the new position, he’s looking forward to the challenge. For the 6’4”, 323-pounder, the difficulty lies not with the mental aspect of learning the playbook but with the physical demands of playing center.“My body isn’t what it used to be, but the mind is as sharp as ever,” Peterman said. “I can pick up the Mike, Will or Buck [linebackers]. That’s not the hardest part. The hardest part is actually snapping and stepping.

“If you’re reaching the nose tackle, you’ve got to make sure the quarterback gets the ball before you reach him,” he explained. “That’s very different than if you’re at guard and you’re just reaching somebody.”His coaches and teammates have been very helpful so far in providing him with the SparkNotes version of Center 101.“Coach Dev [Mike Devlin] is a great coach. He’s guiding me in the right direction," Peterman said. "Plus, it’s great to have Nick [Mangold] telling me stuff, too.”Having a lot of professional experience could actually prove to be a hindrance in this case.“After 10 years playing at guard, you’re set in stone to one way,” he said, “so it’s definitely something different.”

Today was the first step, he said, but the next step is uncertain. He has “no clue” if he will be snapping the ball in either of the remaining two preseason games.If things go as planned, Stephen Peterman’s work at center in practice will turn out to be a non-story throughout this season. Mangold, the four-time Pro Bowl center, has missed all of two games in his career since we drafted him in 2006, so the expectation and hope is to stick to the game plan.But sometimes plans change. Injuries do happen, and you have to audible. And at those moments, you can never have too much depth at any position.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-67a3df84cbd0

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    These guys are teammates, right?

Things got interesting at New York Jets practice Wednesday afternoon when cornerback Antonio Cromartie put a strong hit on receiver Stephen Hill during a two-minute drill.

Quarterback Geno Smith completed a pass to Hill near the goal line and Cromartie immediately put a high hit on Hill, near the helmet.

The hit appeared to come from Cromartie's forearm.

After the collision, there was a mini-skirmish involving members of both the offense and defense. Some players, including center Nick Mangold, appeared to be upset with Cromartie.

At one point, after the skirmish dissipated, Cromartie could be heard yelling, "Don't cry, play ball!"

Hill returned for 7-on-7 drills later in practice.

Coach Rex Ryan addressed the hit later Wednesday, saying he was "disappointed" because the hit was over the top.

"There's 'thud' and then there's like over-the-top 'thud.' I was disappointed because we have to protect each other. Stephen was running full speed and all that. Cro actually came off of his coverage and made the hit. Again, it wasn't ... I don't think he intended to certainly hurt Stephen. But still, you've got to be smarter. You're in great position, just let it go. I think that's what we need to do."

Hill said he had no problem with Cromartie's hard hit. He was surprised by the outsized reaction to the collision.

"That's competition," Hill said. "I expected that. So, I mean, we're out here playing football, that's what it is: It's a collision sport."

Cromartie was involved in another potentially dangerous play in 7-on-7s. He met wideout Michael Campbell in the air and broke up a pass, then Campbell landed awkwardly on his back and stayed on the ground momentarily. Cromartie hung around after the play to make sure Campbell was OK.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-cry-play-ball

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes: 'Looks can be deceiving'

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan claims Santonio Holmes is in "great shape," but the team's No. 1 wide receiver says "looks can be deceiving."

"I say that with a smile, because if I actually felt as good as I looked, I'd definitely be at 100 percent," Holmes said following Thursday's practice.Holmes, who continues to rehab from foot surgery, still doesn't have a timetable on when he'll be able to return from the field. He still can't run routes yet, and it doesn't appear that he'll be ready when the regular season begins, though he isn't counting it out.Asked if he was still holding out hope of playing Week 1, Holmes responded, "Why would I hold out of anything? If I can go, I can go. If I can't, I can't."Holmes feels pain in his foot every morning when he wakes up, and says it's something he's going to have to learn to tolerate because it hasn't gone away.

Holmes was spotted catching a couple passes from rookie quarterback Geno Smith last Saturday night, but the veteran target doesn't want that blown out of proportion."I mean all I did was run straight ahead. That's pretty much what I've been doing the last couple weeks is just run straight ahead," he said.Asked if there was a possibility that he might miss the entire season, Holmes said, "I don't really know how to answer that. We have 16 weeks of football [for me to come back]. At any point, I could be ready to play.

"My main focus is to be as healthy as I can to perform at a level that is successful for the team and myself. I'm getting treatments everyday and not allowing myself to feel comfortable at any point with the success that I've made and the strides that I've made going forward."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...in-great-shape

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Head coach Rex Ryan spoke to the media following Monday afternoon’s practice and broke down some video from the second preseason game. Two of the plays he presented were of WR Stephen Hill successfully blocking the defensive back guarding him.“Even though the guy’s got him by the facemask, he stays with the block,” Rex said. “He’s running his feet and stays in contact here.“These are things that are selfless,” Ryan said after showing another great block by Hill. “They don’t show up on the stat sheet, but it’s a point of emphasis for us.”Coming from a Georgia Tech offense known for running the triple option, the second-year wide receiver believes he has “an upper hand” when it comes to blocking on the perimeter.“A lot of guys nowadays don’t want to play physical at the corner position,” Hill said. “They want to play ‘brother-in-law’ defense.”
    Brother-in-law defense ?

Hill demonstrated what he meant by patting me on the back softly and saying “Hey,” as in “Hey, how’s it going ?”

“I don’t have any type of animosity against anybody,” he said. “It’s just going out there to do my job, so they'd better come out there ready to play.”CB Antonio Cromartie must have had a case of the Mondays as he missed the memo. During today’s practice, Cro hit Hill hard after the receiver made a catch on a goal line play.Stephen stayed true to his word, not holding any animosity toward the Pro Bowl corner.“It’s a collision sport, and that’s what’s supposed to happen,” Hill said. “I even talked to Cro about it and he was like he didn’t mean to do it, and I said, ‘This is football, just keep playing. Stuff like this is going to happen.’ ”

In fact, his good feelings toward the man who hit him hard actually increased.

“I feel like it’s definitely more respect to Cro for even hitting me, because I’m just as big as him," adding that the defense needs him to lay the lumber every Sunday.Some of Hill’s teammates and coaches were not pleased with the collision, however.“As a quarterback, as a teammate, you don’t want to see that happen,” Geno Smith said. “Especially to one of our guys we expect to contribute. Stephen’s tough, he got right up.”Ryan described today’s competitive practice as maybe “a little too spirited.”

“There’s 'thud' and then there’s over-the-top thud,” he said, “and I was disappointed because we have to protect each other. Stephen was running full speed and all that. Cro actually came off his coverage and made the hit, and again I don’t think he intended to certainly hurt Stephen, but still we have got to be smarter.”Rex added that he loves to see Cromartie’s aggressiveness on the football field, “but at the same time, it’s more important to take care of your teammates above all else.”While Stephen Hill understands and appreciates the concern expressed by others on the team, he viewed the high-impact tackle as a positive thing.“I definitely understand where everyone else is coming from because it’s almost season time and things like that, you’re supposed to back off a little bit,”he said,“but other than that,I really appreciate it because it definitely helps me out, preparing me for if I get a hit like that in the game.”Any concern that Hill might have injured himself on the play was wiped away on the final play of practice.

QB Matt Simms threw a 40-yard pass just in front of the right corner of the end zone. Covered tightly by CB Mike Edwards, Hill attacked the ball at the highest point, leaping up and shielding the cornerback from making any sort of play before coming down with the catch.Ryan compared the catch to something Randy Moss might make:“Guy’s got coverage and he snags the ball over somebody, so I think Stephen’s fine.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...f-04181fcc6d6a

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Transcript of Mark Sanchez's and Geno Smith's news conferences following the Jets' Wednesday midday practice in the Atlantic Health Training Center locker room :

QB GENO SMITH
    On if he is going to be the starting quarterback for Saturday night’s game…
    As of right now, we’re still practicing and we’re still focusing on getting better. We installed a bit of a game plan, but overall, we don’t know yet. But, I’m pretty sure we’ll find out in the next couple days.
    On if it matters to him if he starts against the Giants…
    It does matter. If I get a chance to play, if I get a chance to start, it’s going to be big for me. I’ve been working extremely hard and I just want to go out there and play well.
    On if it was his best day of practice…
    I wouldn’t say it was my best day. I think, like I said, overall every single day I’ve been getting better. Whether it’s been a good day or a bad day, it’s about progression. I think that’s something that I take very seriously and it’s helped me, it’s helped me out a lot.
    On if the ankle is back to 100 percent healthy…
    It’s getting better. I wouldn’t say it’s 100 percent. I've just got to continue to treat it every single day. Every day it has felt better than the previous day. I've just got to continue to treat it and just get better.
    On how the ankle injury has affected his play…
    Well, last week I would say it hurt me a bit with velocity on my throws. I wasn’t able to step into it as much. This week has been better because now I’m able to plant that foot in the ground and explode off of it, so I’ve been doing better with it. It’s still not 100 percent, but it’s manageable and it’s only going to get better.
    On his excitement to be back on the field and playing again this week…
    I’m extremely excited, especially since I didn’t get to play last week. So I get an opportunity to go out there and play and try and win the game with my teammates.
    On when he will find out if he is the starting quarterback for Saturday night’s game…
    I’m pretty sure we’ll find out. Usually how Rex [Ryan] does it, he lets us know in the morning about two or three days before the game. I’m pretty sure we’ll find out in the next couple days.
    On Antonio Cromartie’s hit on Stephen Hill in practice…
    As a quarterback, as a teammate, you don’t want to see that happen. Especially to one of our guys we expect to contribute. Stephen’s tough, he got right up. I saw Nick [Mangold] get in Cro’s face. That’s just a part of supporting your teammates and being a teammate. We’re all a family around here, but at times it takes some of that to get your point across.
    QB MARK SANCHEZ
    On how the offense played today…
    I thought it went all right. I thought the two-minute drill looked good. I thought there was good competition. Like every day, it was a good long practice. It was a good look at what a Thursday type practice would be for us during the week. So we’re right on track for the game.
    On Antonio Cromartie’s big hit on Stephen Hill…
    I think Rex [Ryan] said it best, we’ve just got to take care of our players. The healthiest teams, come the end of the year, find a way to win so we’ve just got to be smart.
    On if Coach Ryan made the comment after today’s practice…
    Yeah, Rex emphasizes it all the time but especially after something like that. He just reemphasized it with the team.
    On if he thought Cromartie’s hit stemmed from the offense’s success against the defense…
    I don’t know about that. You could ask those guys. We’re focused on our side of the ball and moving the ball down the field. I thought we did that well today.
    On the explanation he got for Geno Smith practicing with the starters three days in a row…
    Because I did it last week when he got hurt. I took all the reps and played the game so I think that’s the plan this week.
    On if he expects Smith to start against the Giants…
    I’m assuming. I don’t know. They haven’t said.
    On the sheet he handed Smith during his interview…
    It’s just a joke, a locker room joke.
    On the media not being privy to the locker room joke…
    Full-time locker room joke. You guys get part-time locker room jokes [joking].
    On what he has seen out of Tommy Bohanon…
    T-Bone. He’s a monster. He’s a heck of a player. He’s physical. He picked up the system fast and has no problem with contact. [That] is a good quality in a fullback. You need for him to be a bruiser.
    On a fan calling Bohanon “Tebow” today…
    OK. He’s at the wrong practice [joking].
    On what he is looking to accomplish against the Giants…
    As a team? We just want to go and win the game. We want to prepare like we did last week. This is a little more game-like prep, simulating each day. A Wednesday practice yesterday. It’s a little off because the game's on Saturday. We simulated a Wednesday, a Thursday, a Friday practice, get that walkthrough and then come out Saturday night ready to roll. But I think we’re on the right track and I know it’s always a fun game early in preseason and we’ll be ready.
    On if he thinks playing the Giants defense is a good test for the offense…
    Of course. That’s one of the toughest defensive fronts you can face. Those guys are just a tenacious group. They don’t slow down. They don’t stop until the ballcarrier is on the ground or they have the football. They’re tough and we have a lot of respect for them. It’ll be a good test.
    On Stephen Hill’s adjustment on a catch at practice…
    He did a good job going and getting the ball. That’s something we expect from Stephen. He’s a big, strong guy and we’re just getting him to be more and more physical, go attack the football in the air. If the ball’s in the air, it’s got to be ours.
    On if Hill’s progress comes with confidence and experience…
    I think so. I think a lot of that, after your first year as a wideout, you make a big jump. That second and third year, really, I think he’ll make a huge jump and really help this team.
    On what it takes as a QB to have confidence to throw the ball to Hill…
    You expect it and when he shows you stuff like that, that only makes you more excited to give him another shot at it. It was a good sign and we’ll just keep looking for more good things.
    On if he will be comfortable in a backup role if Smith starts…
    I’ve got to be ready to play. That’s all I’ve been told. No matter what happens, I’ll be ready to play.
    On if Hill’s success on tough catches is due to not having to think about the catch…
    He has no problem with either of them. I think he can be a game-changing player. I think he’s really going to help this offense. But when it comes to athletic ability, he’s got a ton. If it’s instincts, he’s got great instincts. When those plays happen, we expect him to use his natural football instincts and go get the football.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-c9931343e48d

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a relatively cool three-week stint at SUNY Cortland, the temperatures have been turned up on the Jets this week in Florham Park, NJ. With the regular season just two weeks away, center Nick Mangold and his teammates endured sweltering workouts Tuesday and Wednesday.
    “As soon as you step out of the building, you go from air conditioning to heat and humidity,” he told me on our most recent “Jets Talk LIVE” installment. “It makes it uncomfortable.”
    But Mangold is comfortable to be back in familiar surroundings. While rooming with friend Mark Sanchez has its pluses including more tasty food for Mangold, nothing can replace the time spent between the burly center and his two year-old son, Matthew.
    “I didn’t get to see him for 2.5 weeks or a little more than that,” Mangold said. “I was worried that he was going to be really scared or really excited. And I was lucky — he was really excited to see me. We have been playing every minute I’ve been home that he’s been awake.”
    The 6’4”, 307-pound Mangold, in his eighth season with the Jets, will have new linemates to the left and right of him in 2013. Brandon Moore, who retired a couple of weeks ago, spent his entire 10-year career with the Green & White and helped mentor Mangold along the way.
    “It was weird at first. I’ve kind of gotten used to it, but back in the spring it was definitely weird,” Mangold told me of playing without Moore. “Every once in a while something comes up that just reaffirms Meat’s not with me. The most recent is we were on the bus and for six years he always sat right in front of me. But when he wasn’t there, it kind of reaffirmed that he is gone.”
    The Jets have a number of candidates to start at guard including Willie Colon, Stephen Peterman and rookie Brian Winters. With Peterman getting second-team reps behind Mangold at center Tuesday, Vladimir Ducasse actually received some first-team reps.
    “We have a lot of people rolling around. It’s nice having veteran guys come in because even though they don’t have experience with me, they have NFL experience so you can kind of relate to that,” Mangold said. “We’ve put some good work in. We still have a ton to do, but it’s been a fun adventure so far.”
    Through two preseason games, New York’s AFC representative has had success moving the ball (368.5 yards/game) and scoring points (27 points/contest). Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has showcased creativity with his play-calling, frequently changing up personnel and formation.
    “Marty and his system have been just a blast to learn and work with. It’s neat seeing something for the first time especially after doing basically the same thing for seven years,” Mangold said. “In your eighth year to be able to switch it up, it’s been a good time.”
    In Saturday night’s 37-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Jets got the run game on track with 176 carries on 40 yards. They averaged 4.4 yards a clip including an impressive 9.7-yard average from Bilal Powell who exploded for a 37-yard gain in the opening stanza.
    “It’s coming along. As you’re working through, run blocking is a lot of feel and getting accustomed to having the pads on and hitting with others guy,” said the bearded center. “I think that will come along. I think so far we are going in the right direction.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...6-0a857532c222

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Cowher had one of the most successful seasons in NFL history with a rookie quarterback, but the 2013 Jets aren’t the 2004 Steelers.

With that in mind, Cowher said he believes the Jets should give Mark Sanchez the starting job and ease Geno Smith into a role on the team.

“It’s a work in progress, to be honest with you,” Cowher, now an analyst with CBS, said when asked if he thought the Jets had enough talent to support a rookie signal-caller.

“Some of those receivers have to step up. I like Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. I don’t think you have to be totally dependent on the running game, but you have to lean on those guys and the offensive line and the defense to keep you in games.”Smith will try and make that decision tougher for the Jets when he starts tomorrow night against the Giants. The second-round pick out of West Virginia has had an inconsistent offseason, which has been slowed by an ankle injury suffered in the preseason opener against the Lions.There is some thought the Jets are hoping to hand Smith the job if he shows some semblance of being ready in the annual preseason showdown at MetLife Stadium. But with coach Rex Ryan facing a make-or-break season in the final year of his contract, he may opt to go with whomever gives him the best chance at winning now and not throw an unprepared Smith into the fire.

“The future will take care of itself,” said Cowher, whose Steelers went 15-1 with Ben Roethliserger at quarterback in 2004 before losing to the Patriots in the AFC Championship. “The most important thing for any head coach is to give your football team a chance to win each week.“No one is going to play someone at the expense of losing a game. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players? I think the best thing for the future is to find a way to win games.”Sanchez failed to take advantage of the opportunity afforded to him by Smith’s injury. Flashes of the quarterback he appeared to be blossoming into his first two years in the league have been accompanied by brutal interceptions against Detroit and Jacksonville that have defined his third and fourth seasons.“With Geno’s injury I think this is Mark’s job,” Cowher said. “He’s got the experience. It’s a fresh start for him with the standpoint that you have a new coordinator. Marty (Mornhinweg) has been there before. He knows how to take the talent that you have and put it in a position to succeed.

If Smith does earn the job with a stellar performance against the Giants, Cowher said the Jets would be wise not to ask too much of him.

“You have to be patient: push, prod, but then be patient,” Cowher said. “There’s a fine line where the expectation level is high, but you are realistic. That’s why you see teams doing the read option because it transitions the college quarterback to the pro game. You move them off the line a little bit, gives them a chance to do the things they are used to. Then as they get more comfortable as the season goes on you can start to expand, just don’t task too much too early.”

jterranova@nypost.com

Jets Vs. Giants

TOMORROW,

7 P.M., NBC

> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...m_content=Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The quarterback competition has overshadowed everything else on the team, including a nice preseason by TE Jeff Cumberland, who showed a vertical dimension by scoring on 26- and 23-yard touchdown receptions in the first two games. Cumberland, a former college wide receiver, is coming off his first full season at tight end and he's ready to make some noise.Jeff Cumberland had a slam-dunk training camp."I think will be a come-out year for me," he said. "I'm ready to go out and make some big-time plays and show what I've got this year."

Cumberland, who wound up playing a lot last year because of injuries to Dustin Keller, could thrive in OC Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense. Statistically, the Jets have one of the worst tight-end corps in the league."You're always going to have those people, those doubters out there that really don't know too much," Cumberland said. "I wouldn't expect too many people to know too much about me, being a free agent and I played receiver. But they'll find out soon enough who we are as a team."

ROSTER MOVES : In addition to signing WR Mohamed Massaquoi, the Jets waived TE Mike Shanahan and WR Titus Ryan, who had been on the reserve/left squad list.

HOT POTATO : Funny how neither Mornhinweg nor quarterbacks coach David Lee wanted to comment on Mark Sanchez's poor clock-management play at the end of the first half last week. Rex Ryan took the bullet, saying it was his fault they called a third-down play with six seconds left. Sanchez said it was his fault, saying he should've thrown it away before time expired.

Lee's take ?

"I'll let Marty address that because he was involved directly with that," Lee said. "But, yeah, Mark lost count there of the downs in the situation for a second. Yeah, it wasn't pretty."

Marty ?

Mornhinweg's take?

"Mark addressed that," he said simply.

All right, then ...

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...y-for-breakout

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The quarterback competition has overshadowed everything else on the team, including a nice preseason by TE Jeff Cumberland, who showed a vertical dimension by scoring on 26- and 23-yard touchdown receptions in the first two games. Cumberland, a former college wide receiver, is coming off his first full season at tight end and he's ready to make some noise.Cumberland had a slam-dunk training camp."I think will be a come-out year for me," he said. "I'm ready to go out and make some big-time plays and show what I've got this year."

Cumberland, who wound up playing a lot last year because of injuries to Dustin Keller, could thrive in OC Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense. Statistically, the Jets have one of the worst tight-end corps in the league."You're always going to have those people, those doubters out there that really don't know too much," Cumberland said. "I wouldn't expect too many people to know too much about me, being a free agent and I played receiver. But they'll find out soon enough who we are as a team."

ROSTER MOVES: In addition to signing WR Mohamed Massaquoi, the Jets waived TE Mike Shanahan and WR Titus Ryan, who had been on the reserve/left squad list.

HOT POTATO: Funny how neither Mornhinweg nor quarterbacks coach David Lee wanted to comment on Mark Sanchez's poor clock-management play at the end of the first half last week. Rex Ryan took the bullet, saying it was his fault they called a third-down play with six seconds left. Sanchez said it was his fault, saying he should've thrown it away before time expired.

Lee's take ?

"I'll let Marty address that because he was involved directly with that," Lee said. "But, yeah, Mark lost count there of the downs in the situation for a second. Yeah, it wasn't pretty."

Marty ?

Mornhinweg's take ?

"Mark addressed that," he said simply.

All right, then ...

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...y-for-breakout

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Pistol' will be part of Jets game, says QB coach David Lee

Rex Ryan has already said the Jets will use the Wildcat this season.

Despite the massive miscalculation of having Tim Tebow facilitate the formation last season, the Jets now have the Wildcat guru under their own roof: quarterbacks coach David Lee.

But Lee happens to have something else up his sleeve: the Pistol offense.

“You haven’t seen it at practice yet, but we’ve got a little bit of that in there,” the position coach said Thursday, adding that, while he was in Miami, the Dolphins used some "lead-option, speed-option" with quarterback Pat White.

“We haven’t really hid it much," Lee said of the Jets, "but we’ve got another game. We may utilize some of it here before too long.”

As for the Wildcat, expect to see lots of it if opposing defenses aren't prepared.

"You just kind of want to have it to see if somebody’s got an answer for it," Lee said. "If they don’t have an answer (and) they haven’t worked on it, we can pound it up in there a little bit. If they’ve got some answers, you get away from it quickly.

"It’s all been installed. We know what we’re doing with it. We know who the people are that are going to be in the positions to execute it. So I feel good about having it. I think the biggest thing is it makes other people stop what they’re doing and prepare something totally different. It takes time away from our base offense. That’s one of the greatest advantages of it. We feel good about it, yeah."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...-lee-1.5943203

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get set for three-wide receiver formations or multiple tight ends combined with a fullback for pass protection.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith gets his chance to take NY Jets quarterback spot from Mark Sanchez

The Jets have to be careful: If they start the season with Smith and he is a disaster, how much hope will it give Jets Nation if they switch back to Sanchez? But if they start Sanchez, it buys them a little more time to develop Smith and then when Sanchez starts making crucial mistakes — he will, because it's in his DNA — they can make the change to Smith, which will energize the team and the fans.

If Geno Smith plays lights out against the Giants, he can be the Jets starting quarterback Week 1.

The Jets are practically pleading with Geno Smith to provide them with an escape clause so they don’t have to start Mark Sanchez in a little more than two weeks in the season-opener against the Bucs.

Smith has shown nothing — an ankle injury has limited his opportunities — to give the Jets any hope that he can duplicate what last year’s sensational rookie trio of Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson accomplished in leading their teams to the playoffs.

Even so, all they want is for him to not be Sanchez. That will be good enough for now.

The Jets are so down on Sanchez that they are starting and auditioning Smith on Saturday night against the Giants when almost every team treats the third preseason game as a dress rehearsal for the opener and goes nearly three quarters with the starters.

The Jets say it’s all part of running a fair competition, when it’s really about trying to push Smith into winning the job. But before they can sell Smith to the locker room, he has to give them some ammunition.

Smith’s ankle injury in the preseason opener threw off the timing. If he plays lights-out against the Giants, he could either be named the starter or the quarterback competition will stretch into the fourth game against the Eagles, which basically is unheard of, to convince Rex Ryan and John Idzik the kid is ready.
    “I’m not going to put any parameters on what this player needs to show or anything else,” Ryan said Thursday. “I think obviously it’s an evaluation process still that we’re going through. I don’t want to say, ‘Look, he’s got to look like Phil Simms in the Super Bowl.’ ”But if Smith stinks it up against the Giants — he missed last week’s game against the Jaguars despite practicing all week following his ankle injury against the Lions — then Sanchez will win by default.

Tim Farrell for New York Daily News

Mark Sanchez shows no signs of improvement this preseason, opening up for Smith to win the job.

The Jets have to be careful: If they start the season with Smith and he is a disaster, how much hope will it give Jets Nation if they switch back to Sanchez? But if they start Sanchez, it buys them a little more time to develop Smith and then when Sanchez starts making crucial mistakes — he will, because it's in his DNA — they can make the change to Smith, which will energize the team and the fans.

Ryan surely would like to have a No. 1 quarterback by now. At some point, it would be nice if the players knew who would be starting at the game’s most important position. “Well, there’s so many guys battling for spots right now they are probably worried about themselves more than they’re worried about another position,” Ryan said.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2csgu2H2m

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ** Coach Rex Ryan has been pleased with running back Chris Ivory’s pass protection, as he returned from a hamstring injury that nagged him for much of training camp. One day this week, “he attacked the linebacker like he was a guard, so that was encouraging to me,” Ryan said. Pass protection is a big part of the Jets’ new West Coast offense.Ivory, who the Jets acquired from New Orleans in the offseason for a fourth-round pick, missed the first preseason game, in Detroit. He had six carries for 13 yards, with a long of eight, last week against Jacksonville. The coaches were wary of overworking him in that game. Ivory felt the same way.

“I didn’t want to overdo it,” he said. “Just kind of get me back into it.”He said his hamstring feels good, and he is equally optimistic about his pass protection.

“In the West Coast, I think you’ve got to know more (for pass protection),” he said. “You actually have to know who you have on certain protections.”With other offenses, he said, “it’s just easier. You don’t have as many responsibilities, as far as many guys that you have to key in on. In some protections, you may have two or three guys.”Running backs catching pass out of the backfield is also part of the West Coast, but Ivory didn’t do a lot of that in New Orleans. In three seasons,he totaled three catches (two last year).Staying in the backfield to pass protect has always been a strength of Ivory’s,he said.He isn’t worried about pushing his hamstring for the first time against the Giants, because “I’ve pushed it in practice, so that wouldn’t be the first test for it,” he said.

Jets beat reporters on Geno Smith and the game against the Giants
    Video: Star-Ledger New York Jets beat reporters on Geno Smith getting the start against the Giants on Saturday, the Jets offense and how injuries will affect the Jets defense. (Video by Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)
    ** The Jets have used running back Bilal Powell in the Wildcat in both of their first two preseason games. Powell ran the offense for one entire season in college – his senior year at Louisville, in 2010. He never threw the ball out of the formation, because he said he was never called upon to do so. Nor did Powell play quarterback in high school.

So any chance he throws out of the Jets’ Wildcat ?

“You never know,” he said. “I’m not going to talk on that. We’re going to keep that to ourselves.”

** Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson echoed the comments of a fellow defensive leader, cornerback Antonio Cromartie, that the Jaguars playing a hurry-up offense against the Jets last week could help the Jets down the road.“Jacksonville came out and showed us some stuff we weren’t really expecting,” he said. “At the end of the day, that was a good look for us, something we can prepare for once the season comes. It’s not just the Pats. That’s what a couple teams are doing around the league.”

What are the challenges of playing against that pace ?

“We can’t sub, but at the end of the day, we’re interchangeable in this defense,” Wilkerson said. “As long as we communicate well, we won’t have any issues. The Patriots tried to do it against us last year and it really didn’t affect us, as long as we’re stopping them, and that’s what we plan on doing this year.”

** Willie Colon is the Jets’ new right guard, after spending the first seven years of his career with the Steelers. Offensive linemen who join new teams often talk about needing to develop chemistry with the linemen who play next to them.In Colon’s case, these players are center Nick Mangold and right tackle Austin Howard. So how does Colon see the differences between Mangold and Howard and the players he worked alongside in Pittsburgh (center Maurkice Pouncey and left tackle Max Starks)?“Pouncey is just a different animal,” said Colon. “He is extremely athletic, can run for days. The only similarity between the two (Pouncey and Mangold) is they are very, very knowledgeable, with what going on around them. There are not too many blitzes that they can’t pick up or don’t see. Nick’s mental game is out of this world. I have been so impressed with his level of communication and how he directs us at the line.”

Colon is going from one elite center to another. Pouncey was an All-Pro from 2010-12, Mangold from 2009-11.Comparing Starks to Howard, Colon said, “Max is an older guy, savvy, so he was extremely aware of what was going on around him as well. Austin is really athletic and he’s strong at the point of attack. People don’t understand how, as big as he is, how well he moves.”

Does Colon have any interest in who wins the starting quarterback job?

“No, it doesn’t matter to me, honestly,” he said. “Both guys are more than capable.”

Colon led the NFL last year with eight offensive holding penalties. How does he fix that?

“Just stop getting so many holding penalties,” he said.

So was he doing something differently last year than in previous seasons? Or are those just the breaks of calls not going his way?

“I was holding,” he said.

** Linebackers coach Brian VanGorder had been encouraged by the progress of Quinton Coples, switching from defensive end to rush outside linebacker, and then saw Coples go down with an ankle injury against Jacksonville.

“I liked the way he was playing in the game the other night,” VanGorder said. “He’s a bigger guy that can run and can make big plays for you. He’s going to be missed because of that.”

How had Coples done adjusting to playing in space more?

“Like anyone, you’re put into a new position and it’s a process,” VanGorder said. “I thought he was really coming along in a real positive way, gaining more comfort with it. The other night, he showed up on a couple plays that indicated he was gaining confidence.”

The Jets will use Garrett McIntyre as the first-team rush outside linebacker against the Giants, but pass rushing specialist Antwan Barnes will also get some work at the spot, VanGorder said. McIntyre played defensive end in college, so the rush spot fits him well.

“I think he’s got a comfort with that,” VanGorder said. “Playing our sam linebacker (earlier in training camp), he was really coming along and doing a much better job in the coverage area. He’s a guy that’s got to be prepared to play a lot of different positions.”

McIntyre had to learn how to play a traditional linebacker position – coverage and all – in order to get back into the NFL, after stints in the Arena and Canadian leagues.

The coaches are excited about will linebacker Demario Davis, the only new starter among the three, second-level linebackers (David Harris and Calvin Pace are the mike and sam). Davis was a rookie last year and started three games after being drafted in the third round out of Arkansas State.

“He’s got good cover skills,” VanGorder said. “He’s an ascending player that will just continue to get better as he plays more. He’s got some good physical traits that allow him to be a good cover linebacker. I just see him continuing to improve, but yeah, there are going to be things here and there that are going to be kind of new to him that he’s going to see, and he’s going to see it fast. He’s a good learner.”

** The Jets on Friday signed offensive tackle Jason Smith, the second overall pick by the Rams in 2009. Smith was traded to the Jets for Wayne Hunter before last season, when Howard replaced Hunter.

Smith was released in February by the Jets and picked up by New Orleans, which just released him this week. Smith played in two games for the Jets as a reserve last season. He has played just one full NFL season, in 2010, when he started all 15 games he played.

The Jets are trying to establish depth behind D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Howard. They drafted Oday Aboushi in the fifth round out of Virginia this year, but he has been uneven in preseason games, and is not a lock to make the team.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...om_injury.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crunching the QB stats: Neck and neck

You know the famous NFL Films clip, when Bill Parcells walks over to his dog-tired linemen on the bench and tries to rally them by barking, "This is why you lift all them weights" ?

Well, file this blog entry under, "This is why we keep all them stats."

After charting every practice in training camp, we present the unofficial stats from the Jets' quarterback competition. Keep in mind, some of this is subjective, especially with regard to sacks (the QBs wear a red, non-contact jersey) and touchdowns (no live tackling in most drills).

Okay, enough disclaimers, let's get to the numbers. Based on practice, Mark Sanchez vs. Geno Smith truly is "too close to call," as QBs coach David Lee noted. Here you go :

Sanchez: Completed 95 of 159 passes ... 59.7 completion percentage ... Four interceptions, including one on a Hail Mary -- but went the last 10 practices without a pick ... Threw nine touchdown passes ... Sacked 14 times.

Smith: Completed 104 of 173 passes ... 60.1 completion percentage ... Six interceptions, including three in one day (the "brutal" practice) ... Threw 15 touchdowns, including four in a goal-line drill on Thursday ... Sacked 15 times.

Quick thoughts : Early in camp, Sanchez had a couple of rough practices, but he steadied himself and became an efficient quarterback over the final two weeks. He's had only three poor plays all summer -- the two interceptions against the Lions and Jaguars and the bad clock-management play against the Jaguars. Smith got off to such a hot start in camp that some people in the organization were convinced they had found their man, but he leveled off even before the ankle injury. He hit rock bottom on the final open practice in Cortland, but has rallied in recent days as his sprained ankle has improved.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-neck-and-neck

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a rough night for New York Jets receiver Stephen Hill. He reached for an opponent's facemask in a burst of frustration -- costing the Jets 15 yards -- fumbled a catch and was taken after the game to have his wrist X-rayed.

Stephen Hill made four receptions, but he fumbled this one away."I fell on it when I got pass interference," Hill said. "I just taped it up and as a precaution they just wanted to make sure that wasn't anything wrong with it. Everything's good."Hill caught all four balls sent his way for 56 yards as the Jets defeated the New York Giants 24-21 in overtime. He said he had a decent enough night with a caveat: "Minus the fumble. I wish I could have gotten that back."

Smith wasn't the only Jets receiver to cost rookie quarterback Geno Smith some yards. Three of Smith's passes were dropped, including throws to Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell and Ben Obomanu.But those issues paled when compared to the quarterback situation. Smith struggled and Mark Sanchez injured his throwing shoulder.

"We need both Geno and Mark," Hill said.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...r-stephen-hill

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Geno Smith isn't ready: He made a lot of rookie mistakes in his first extended action, but guess what? He's a rookie. Smith saw a lot of things for the first time -- a six-man rush on his second interception and a defensive lineman in coverage on the third pick. The safety was inexcusable, just a mental lapse by a young player lost in the moment. Two things I noticed: He stared down receivers and held the ball too long. On the positive side, he completed his last six passes (five against the Giants' backups), showing the ability to drive the ball on intermediate routes.

2. Rex Ryan didn't trust his instincts: Yes, Ryan announced Thursday that Mark Sanchez would play in the game, but he should've altered the plan on the fly once he saw how the game unfolded. Because of Smith's struggles, it was clear that Sanchez would be the opening-day starter. Ryan shouldn't have played him unless it was behind the first-team line, not behind the likes of Caleb Schlauderaff and J.B. Shugarts. You have to wonder if Ryan was following orders from GM John Idzik.

3. Stephen Hill needs to grow up: He has a lot of talent inside that big body, but he tends to lose his cool. He took a swing at LB Jacquian Williams, resulting in a personal foul, and he lost a fumble a couple of plays later, failing to secure the ball. That he was in the game was another mistake by Ryan, who should've taught him a lesson by benching him after the dumb penalty.

4. They need Santonio Holmes more than ever: Aside from Hill's shenanigans, the Jets dropped three passes, shades of the daily drop-fests in minicamp. The best receiver was rookie free agent Ryan Spadola, who caught three passes for 110 yards. On the positive side, newly signed Mohamed Massaquoi got into the game and made two nice catches. If I'm Braylon Edwards, I'm worried about my roster spot. By the way, Holmes looked fine in pre-game warmups. You have to think he'll be ready for Week 1.

5. Perimeter run defense is still a concern: This was an issue last season, and it didn't look any better in this game -- see David Wilson's 84-yard TD run. Interestingly, the defense came out in a 4-3 look, with three linebackers stacked behind the line. It resembled the old Tampa-2 defense. The Jets seemed a bit confused by the Giants' twin-fullback look. LB Demario Davis got caught in traffic, S Antonio Allen blew his gap assignment, and CB Antonio Cromartie and LB Garrett McIntyre couldn't get off their blocks. In a heartbeat, Wilson was gone, too fast for anyone on the Jets' D.

6. The defense got mad: To its credit, the defense responded nicely after the Wilson TD. Despite bad field position, courtesy of Smith's three interceptions, the Jets held the Giants to three points on the next eight possessions, including a goal-line stand. They dominated the Giants' patchwork line, with DT Sheldon Richardson (one sack, two QB hits) and NT Damon Harrison (seven solo tackles) generating inside pressure. Richardson lined up in several different spots before leaving with an undisclosed injury. They have to be encouraged by their young linemen.

7. They miss Darrelle Revis: Kyle Wilson is entering his fourth year, yet he still makes the same mistakes he did as a rookie. He still lacks awareness when the ball is in the air. In this game, the result was three pass-interference penalties. This is why he was moved back to his nickel-back role as soon as rookie Dee Milliner reported to camp. Milliner didn't play because of an injury, but he hasn't lit it up. The Jets will be vulnerable against opponents with good No. 2 receivers.

8. Brian Winters really exists: The third-round guard, hampered by an ankle injury throughout camp, made his preseason debut. Winters replaced LG Vladimir Ducasse (leg injury) early in the game and ended up making a nice pulling block on Bilal Powell's two-yard TD run in the third quarter. Winters is the future at left guard. For now, it'll be Ducasse or Stephen Peterson, who played center with the second unit and allowed a sack.

9. Nick Folk keeps it interesting: Now we know why they keep importing competition for Folk. In overtime, he was wide right on a 39-yard FG attempt. A few minutes later, challenger Billy Cundiff won it with a 32-yarder. It looks like the kicking battle will last a little longer.

10. Mayday Malone responds: With his job in jeopardy, incumbent P Robert Malone had a fantastic game, putting all three punts inside the 20. Challenger Ryan Quigley, who had been having a solid camp, suffered a poor game. This could be over.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...t-we-learned-2