Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: O dept. : Marty Ball ! !

Hall Of Fame
    On Friday, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was moved from the PUP list to the Active Roster. The addition of the Super Bowl XLIII MVP, however, means one less roster spot for another receiver, making the preseason performance of all other Jets hopefuls even that much more important.Veteran Ben Obomanu and undrafted rookie free agent Ryan Spadola are two wideouts scratching and clawing their way up the depth chart, each with high hopes of becoming one of 53. We signed both receivers in May, with Obomanu coming off of seven NFL seasons with the Seattle Seahawks and Spadola coming from four seasons at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa.“The preseason’s about getting opportunities,” Obomanu said, “and not just getting them, but utilizing them, too.”So far, both men have certainly taken advantage of their chances. After each put up a strong performance in Saturday night’s MetLife Bowl victory over the Giants, they are tied for the team lead with seven receptions. With three preseason games down and one to go, Ryan’s 169 receiving yards and Ben’s 115 make them one and two on the team.

Obomanu often talks about not just being in the game but making an impact on the game, and he’s 2-for-3 thus far in the preseason. His four receptions for 59 yards were game highs in the Week 1 loss to Detroit, and after not having one pass targeted for him against the Jaguars, the veteran WR bounced back Saturday with three receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown.Following a three-and-out and David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown run, the Jets were down, 7-0, with just over one minute off of the game clock. But QB Geno Smith and the offense bounced back with an eight-play, 86-yard drive, capped with a 22-yard touchdown pass to Obomanu. He caught the ball on the 15-yard line, turned and sprinted toward the goal line, lowering his shoulder into a Giants defender before crossing the plane for the score.“It’s one of those things where you kind of assume that somebody should be close,” he said. “The first thing you do is catch the ball and then it's kind of should you go left? Should you go right? Should you go straight? Once I realized I was wide open, I just saw the end zone and tried to go for it.”With each stride, he scanned the field and ultimately made a split-second decision to try to make contact with the Giants’ defender right at the goal line.

“You don’t want to get that close and get tackled on the one and bring in the goal line package. So you always want to score," he said. "I saw the end zone, tried to lower my shoulder and just hoped that if they did hit me, they hit me into the end zone.”

Whereas Obomanu’s biggest impact on the game came early, Spadola emerged as one of the heroes later in the night.Trailing by four points with 2:12 left in regulation, QB Matt Simms fired a bullet into the middle of the end zone and connected with Spadola for a 22-yarder as the Jets took a 21-18 lead.“The touchdown was basically a post-to-corner, kind of a rub route,” the rookie explained. “The corner collapsed and Matt was able to find me in the second window there. He put the ball in a great spot and I was able to make the play on it, which was really fortunate.”

“Technically I wasn’t really supposed to throw that, but Ryan did a great job catching in the back window like that,” Simms said. “That was one of those things, it was either going to be a great throw or a really bad decision. So I’m happy it worked out well.”

After the Giants kicked a field goal to force overtime, the Jets needed to keep the offense coming.Spadola talked with WRs coach Sanjay Lal on the sideline about a play that could be called. Lal told him to be patient with the route, and sell the out before planting his foot and bursting across the field.“I did exactly that,” he said, and it worked for 70 yards, helping to set up Billy Cundiff’s game-winning field goal. “Matt did a very good job of putting the ball in a spot where I was able to make a play with it and I said whatever I had left in the tank, run down the field as fast as I could and get us in field goal range.”As a Howell, N.J., native, Spadola was excited to play in front of a plethora of family and friends who turned out to support the rookie at MetLife Stadium.“Every time I looked up I heard my name being shouted from a different direction,” he said. “Wherever I was looking, I felt like I saw a face that I recognized. It was really nice to see.”With just one more preseason game remaining, Obomanu and Spadola will continue to fight, and hope, for their chance to continue contributing when the regular season commences.

“I think I'm heading in the right direction, finding ways to make plays, which is needed in this offense,” Spadola said, “and I'm just trying to do whatever I can when my number's called.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...f-6a5128c924e0

Hall Of Fame
    Depth Chart at LG: Ducasse, Winters

A three-man race is down to two.

The release of nine-year veteran Stephen Peterman this morning leaves two players — third-round rookie Brian Winters and fourth-year veteran Vladimir Ducasse — as the lead candidates for the starting left guard position.

Winters missed the first two preseason games with an ankle injury, but “it’s coming along,” he said. “It’s pretty much day and night from what it was before.”
    Head coach Rex Ryan said he was looking forward to seeing Winters play Saturday night against the Giants, and he got his wish. Although Ducasse started, Winters relieved Vlad toward the end of the first quarter and went on to play 60 offensive snaps — more than anyone else on either team in the game.
    “It was pretty much my first live situation since I’ve been hurt, so a lot of things were thrown at me,” Winters said. “But overall I thought I played well.”
    While he was pleased with his overall performance, the 22-year-old Kent State product wants to work on his footwork going forward.“There’s a lot of things that I thought I need to improve on from that game, but that’s one thing I want to take away from it,” he said. Recovering from the ankle injury shouldn’t be a problem in perfecting his footwork craft.“Before, it was, but obviously that’s because I was just getting into the groove,” he said. “Now I’m just going to go back to my basics and starting over.”

As Winters was forced to watch from the sidelines with his injury, Ducasse benefitted from the added reps. A second-round pick in 2010, Vlad played in every game the past two seasons but started only one. His role as a backup could change, however, as Ryan has seen significant improvement “from top to bottom” in the 25-year-old guard so far this summer.“You name it, mentally, instincts, physical,” Ryan said late last week. “This is where you wanted him when you drafted him. You might have wanted him there a year before, but this is where he’s at now, so he looks pretty good to me.”

Time will tell whether Ducasse or Winters will come out on top. The team's current depth chart has Ducasse listed as the starter with Winters backing him up. With one preseason game and two weeks of practice remaining between now and the season opener, however, this competition still has a way to go.“I just have to keep grinding and keep working on my craft,” Winters said. “Nothing’s really in my hands. I just need to keep doing what I’m doing.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...f-22fc987c7296

Hall Of Fame
    Catch by Catch, Rookie Receiver Builds Case for Making the Jets

Ryan Spadola is close to attaining what he had thought was unattainable. Spadola, a rookie free agent from Lehigh, has been one the most surprising players with the Jets this preseason. Now, he may make the team’s 53-man roster.
    N.F.L.

Not bad for a wide receiver who was never offered a major Division I scholarship.

Spadola, 22, will try to solidify his chances in the Jets’ last exhibition game Thursday against the Philadelphia Eagles. Throughout training camp, he has improved in almost every way, from catching passes to running precise routes to contributing on special teams.“Every day, I’ve been fighting, fighting, fighting to prove people wrong, and that I can play in this league,” Spadola said. “I’m becoming more comfortable in our style of plays and our schemes.”

His production has increased in each of the Jets’ three preseason games.

In Saturday’s game against the Giants, Spadola finished with a touchdown and three catches for a team-leading 110 yards. On his 22-yard touchdown reception from Matt Simms, Spadola beat a cornerback on a sharp route in which he faked to the outside before making a quick pivot for the middle of the end zone. He ran past the safety and showed off his athleticism, perhaps his best trait, in lunging for the ball and catching it with two hands.In overtime, Spadola set up the winning field goal by finding an opening in the Giants’ zone coverage for a 70-yard catch from Simms. Again, Spadola caught the ball with both hands. Then he gained 39 yards after the catch.“I’m not the shiftiest guy out there,” he said. “I may be deceptive in speed because I’m a long strider, but I really pride myself on getting two hands on the ball.”The offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has been complimentary of Spadola’s skills, and Coach Rex Ryan praised him after Monday’s practice.

“The young man is doing a tremendous job,” Ryan said. “All he does is show up and make plays.”

Spadola, 6 feet 3 inches and 220 pounds, described himself as a small kid when he was looking to play college football. A university’s academics were as important to him as its football program, he said, since he did not know if he would develop into an N.F.L. prospect.Spadola, from Howell, N.J., never had a scholarship at Lehigh. He received some financial aid, but his parents paid most of his tuition.Jason Miran, Lehigh’s wide receivers coach, said that three years ago the coaching staff was losing confidence in Spadola. Although he was athletic, he was inconsistent, often dropping passes in the first five games of the 2010 season. Against Harvard, he struggled in the first half and had two receptions.

“You’re one mistake away from sitting out of this game,” Miran told Spadola in the locker room.

Miran said that sparked Spadola’s transformation. In the second half, he had 12 catches, tying the program’s single-game record. He finished with 206 yards and 2 touchdowns, including the go-ahead score.Spadola ended his sophomore year with 1,130 yards and 9 touchdowns. As a junior, he became an all-American and had a Patriot League single-season record of 1,614 yards to go with 96 receptions and 11 touchdowns.“He’s one of the most determined people I’ve been around,” Miran said. “After his standout year, he was committed to the mental side of the game. That was the biggest change I noticed in him.”

Not everything went smoothly for Spadola at Lehigh.

He was suspended for the Football Championship Subdivision playoff game against North Dakota State in 2011 for retweeting a Twitter message that contained a racial slur against Towson’s football team. Lehigh lost, 24-0, and Spadola issued a written apology.He missed two games his senior year and lost more than 15 pounds because of mononucleosis, said his agent, Ed Wasielewski. The drop in production (851 yards and 4 touchdowns) and his lack of judgment were enough for N.F.L. scouts to question Spadola.

“I’ll never know the exact answer, but that’s something I really don’t dwell on,” Spadola said of not being drafted. “I’ve had a lot of odds coming against me in this whole process. I wouldn’t go back and change anything. I was able to come here, a local team. I’m in a very fortunate situation.”Spadola said catching a touchdown pass in MetLife Stadium was an indescribable feeling. After Saturday’s game, he said he was astonished by the number of voice mail messages, text messages and Twitter messages he received. Of course, Miran was among the group.

Besides saying congratulations, Miran told Spadola to stay positive and reminded him that he had not yet accomplished his mission. Spadola said he agreed.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/sp...=football&_r=0

Hall Of Fame
    Reports of Vladimir Ducasse starting at left guard for the New York Jets may have been a bit premature.

Third-round pick Brian Winters started at left guard in the Jets' win over the Eagles on Thursday night, their fourth and final preseason game.

Ducasse started at right guard.

After the game, Rex Ryan mentioned that Winters and Ducasse were in an open competition for the left guard position. Winters had missed time in camp with an ankle injury but played well against Philly.

"There's a great battle between Vlad and Brian Winters for that starting guard spot. We'll see how that goes, but man, guys were really playing," Ryan said.

Ducasse started at left guard against the Giants last week, leading many to believe that he'd start there in Week 1 against Tampa.

Stephen Peterman had started at left guard for most of training camp but was moved to backup center when Ducasse emerged. Peterman was cut earlier this week.

Safety valve: It looks like Ryan and his staff have a tough call to make at safety with the final cuts coming Saturday evening.

Both Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett have made strong cases for a starting job in the defensive backfield.

Jarrett was active on Thursday against Philadelphia, finishing with one pass defense and six tackles (three solo). If last impressions carry any weight, though, Allen made a strong one, picking off Matt Barkley's pass and returning it 20 yards for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

"I think maybe it's a little too close to call," Ryan said of the battle at safety. "We'll see. Certainly, we'll evaluate it all on tape. We know we have a couple of good football players here."

Ryan added that playing time at the position may depend on the opponent.

Cool running: Running Back Kahlil Bell had a strong showing against Philly with 80 yards on 21 carries and two touchdowns. Wideouts Michael Campbell (five catches, 90 yards) and Ryan Spadola (six catches, 47 yards) also impressed Ryan.

"Both those guys are pushing and competing," Ryan said. "Spadola has had some big moments throughout training camp and … Campbell has come on, he's a tremendous blocker as well."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...b-up-for-grabs

Hall Of Fame
    The New Bilal Powell

When the New York Jets started to figure out the running back situation, they looked a three other options for the position.

But Bilal Powell has made the Jets brass think twice about guys like Kahlil Bell, Mike Goodson, and Joe McKnight.

McKnight was one of the most recent casualties in the recent cuts so, you now have Powell getting even more opportunities to share the rock with Chris Ivory.

To date, Powell had 458 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns for his limited Jets career.(18 catches, 147 yards receiving)

Now, as we are only a couple of games into the pre-season, Powell has 16 carries for 82 yards for a 5.1 average. Receiving wise, he’s got three catches for six yards.

So the question is, what has changed for Powell this season?

Looking at the his 37-yard run from the second pre-season game, one of the first things you notice is that his field vision has improved drastically. He hit that hole pretty hard and took advantage of the hole.

When you look back at Powell in his first two years in the league, he was really the third or the fourth option at running back. He had Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson, and even to an extent Joe McKnight all ahead of him.

The only one left on the squad of that trio is McKnight and basically, he’s been the forgotten man on the Jets.

Now, Powell is taking advantage of his opportunities.

The other reason for Powell’s success so far has been the play of the offensive line.

For the last a couple years, the unite that was supposed to be one of the stalwarts of the Jets looked like a shell of its former self. From 2009-2010, Gang Green was one of the top running teams in the NFL. They led the league in rushing yards in 09.

When Powell joined the league in 2011, the line with Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Brandon Moore, Matt Slauson, and Wayne Hunter were not getting the same kind of push at the line that were creating the holes the running backs would be able to punch through. And the same thing happened in 2012. The difference being that instead of Wayne Hunter, it was Austin Howard.

It’s been evident in the first couple of games in the pre-season (prior to the Giants game) that this line led by Mangold and Ferguson, has started to find a bit of its swagger and get the push at the point of attack that they really needed evident by the previously mentioned 37-yard run.

For the Jets to have any kind of success this season, they need to have a successful running attack. For Powell to be able to do that, the offensive line needs to find its swagger and get the push necessary for Powell to continue to grow and be the successful running back that wwe are slowly starting to see.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/30/ne...-bilal-powell/

Hall Of Fame
    pats cut Jake Ballard...any takers ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Allies remain in short supply for Mark Sanchez.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Marty Mornhinweg will unequivocally side with rookie Geno Smith if the offensive coordinator has a vote in the New York Jets' starting quarterback competition. Mornhinweg is a big fan of Smith's potential and believes he's the better option, whether Sanchez is healthy or not.Jets coach Rex Ryan said Friday that he will listen to different voices in the organization before deciding on his starter. It stands to reason that the man running his offense will have a substantial say in the matter. In other words, this does not bode well for the embattled Sanchez.

Of course, Sanchez's health factors into this. He's not expected to be ready for Week 1 as he continues his recovery from a deep bruise in his throwing shoulder. He's still not throwing and could be dealing with a multi-week injury, as Rapoport reported Thursday.One name not in the mix to start? Matt Simms, who earned some respect with a solid performance in Thursday night's preseason finale against the Philadelphia Eagles. Rapoport hears Simms is not considered an option as QB1.

Now we'll see if Smith is even remotely ready for a starting job out of the gate. He didn't seem that way the last time we saw him, when he threw three picks and pulled an Orlovsky last week against the New York Giants.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ocs-preference

Hall Of Fame
    Q: Has your father, Phil Simms, shared Giants stories, Bill Parcells stories or anything like that with you?

A: He’s shared a few with me over the years, for sure.

Q: What’s the best one he’s told you?

A: The one that always stays really relevant with me, one day I guess, my father was talking to Coach Parcells, and he’s just saying something about the game or whatever, and I guess Parcells goes, “No. You’re a battleship commander, you need to demand everything from them at every moment of every day. And you need to take control of your battleship like you’re going to war all the time.” And for some reason, that story has really kinda hit home with me. Because when you really are out there, it is your ship. You’re either moving the offense, or you’re sinking. I like that story. I like the thought of, “Yes, I am a commander, I need to take control of our army and control the team.” It’s something that’s probably been more important to me of late these past two years.

Paul J. Bereswill

Matt Simms

Q: On Opening Day, tell Jets fans why they should feel OK with you as the possible backup.

A: Hey, they have their own opinions, they can think whatever they want, the Jets fans, but I think I’ve shown in the preseason that I can get it done when my number’s called, from the start and to the finish of the game, and hopefully they can just believe in the local guy to get it done for ’em so . .. (smile).

Q: How would you compare yourself as a quarterback to your brother and your father?

A: It’s tough for me to say just because I didn’t really actually like grow up watching my father. But I think that our style of play is actually pretty similar.

Q: To your dad.

A: Yeah, and my brother too. We like to throw the ball down the field and show off our arms. I think that we’re better athletes than most people give us credit for too, at times. I don’t know, I kinda like having the gunslinger mentality, to be honest with you. I like to think like that, to be aggressive, and have fun.

Q: Give me a scouting report on you.

A: Strong arm ... good athlete ... can improvise and extend plays ... and hopefully continue to make the right decisions (chuckle).

Q: You belong in this league?

A: I believe I do,. This preseason has given me a tremendous amount of confidence. ... Marty [Mornhinweg, offensive coordinator] has just given me so much confidence in myself in leading this team. I’m truly grateful for the opportunity that all the coaches here have given me.

> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...m_content=Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Pam Spadola’s phone rang Friday evening. Her son Ryan was on the other end, catching up with her as prepared to leave the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, following their final practice before the holiday weekend. Ryan spoke casually.

“Oh, hey, mom,” he said. “I wanted to give you a quick call and tell you I made the team.”

This was a moment Ryan and his father, Donald, always dreamed about – Ryan as an NFL player. And he made the Jets, whose games Donald and Ryan attended together, driving 50 miles north from their home in Howell.

Donald was there when the dream began, standing behind Ryan before his first Pop Warner game. Donald smiled for a photo, his left arm resting on Ryan’s shoulder pads, his right around Ryan’s younger brother, Randy. Ryan looked into the camera, eye black streaked across his fair cheeks, with a focused, serious expression on his face.

Donald nurtured the dream. He coached Ryan’s teams. He told Ryan stories about his own high achievements, as a Secret Service agent assigned to protect retired presidents.

Then Donald left the dream behind. He committed suicide on Nov. 29, 2006, during Ryan’s sophomore year at Freehold Township High School. The family never saw it coming, Pam said. It remains inexplicable for Ryan.

Ryan Spadola, right, before his first Pop Warner game, with his father, Donald, and younger brother, Randy.Courtesy of Ryan Spadola

Over the next seven years, Ryan poured himself into football. His mom took out student loans so he could attend Lehigh, where he starred as a wide receiver. The Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent who had to play special teams and fight for spot this preseason on the 53-man roster, which will be released Saturday night.

And finally, Friday night, there were Ryan’s words, long awaited, hitting his mom’s ear: “I made the team.”

She wept.

---

Ryan kept his eyes peeled. It was Friday afternoon, the day before the Jets had to cut their roster from 75 players to 53, and an eerie feeling pervaded the team’s complex. During position meetings and in the locker room, guys on the fringe of the roster watched for the Turk, the person within an NFL organization who is responsible for telling players, “Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.”

A night earlier, Ryan stood in the Jets’ locker room and held his play script under his left arm, unsure if he’d ever hold another one as a Jet. He had done everything he could to help himself, from the start of training camp in Cortland, N.Y., to Thursday’s preseason finale against Philadelphia at MetLife Stadium, not far from the spot where he and Donald sat for games. He earned a spot on the starting kickoff coverage and return units – a resume builder for an undrafted free agent. In four preseason games, he caught 13 passes for 216 yards and a touchdown, leading the Jets in receptions and yards.

But Ryan still wondered Friday afternoon, as he saw the Turk summon teammates. Ryan wanted to know his chances. He asked his position coach, Sanjay Lal. He inquired with equipment managers, who gather departing players’ gear. From every indication they gave him, he landed on the roster.

This job – and Ryan regards it as such – is a world apart from his father's life. But Donald also had to watch and listen, alert all the time. He started as a Secret Service field officer in Boston in 1976. He guarded Richard Nixon from 1982-85 and Gerald Ford from 1993-97, when he retired from the Secret Service and took a job as a criminal investigator in the Food and Drug Administration’s New York office.

Ryan was born in 1991, when Pam and Donald were shuttling between Rancho Mirage, Calif., and Vail, Colo., depending on which house Ford wanted to stay in. Pam considered it “like being on permanent vacation,” she said. By the time Ryan’s younger brother and sister were born, Pam had mastered the lifestyle.

“I learned how to fly in planes with three very small kids and not piss off too many people,” she said, laughing.

Ryan Spadola with his sister, Heather, and mom, Pam.Courtesy of Ryan Spadola

Ryan got special tours of the White House and saw inside the presidential limousine, which his father walked alongside while on duty. Ryan met Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush. He watched the elder Bush play golf at his home in Maine, providing Ryan a glimpse into his dad’s unique world.

“It was pretty cool to see all those things that he did,” Ryan said.

---

The move to New Jersey meant a more stable job for Donald and settling in to a Pop Warner league for his sons. Donald spent his spare time officiating baseball, basketball and football games in Monmouth County.

But six days after Thanksgiving in 2006, Donald ended his life, at age 57.

“Pretty earth shattering,” Pam said. “Your whole world falls apart. You wonder how you’re going to pick up and move on. You can’t prepare for it and you can’t write the script for afterward.”

Ryan recalled feeling “a lot of anger.” He didn’t play football as a sophomore, “to get things back to par with myself,” he said. He returned as a junior with greater resolve.

“From that day on, I took the sport even more to heart and played with a lot more emotion and a lot more drive,” he said.

Pam’s father, Arthur Madge, stood to support Ryan. Pam, now a single mom, pulled the family closer, intent on not letting her children stray into a troubled life that sometimes follows a tragic death.

“Every day I would just pray that I was doing the right thing,” she said. “You just hope you lay the right foundation. I think suddenly, we didn’t take things for granted and started making sure that each of us knew that we each loved each other.”

Arthur died during Ryan’s junior year at Lehigh, but his grandmother, Gloria Madge, remained a regular at his games, watching from her wheelchair, greeting Ryan on the field afterward. She is 86 now, and Pam is intent on getting her to a Jets game.

Ryan surrounded himself with family Saturday. Pam made plans to celebrate, perhaps by taking a quiet ride on the family boat, down on the Manasquan River in Brick.

“I just want to see him continue to be as happy as he is today,” Pam said.

Ryan Spadola at a Lehigh game with his brother, Randy; grandmother, Gloria Madge; and sister, Heather.Courtesy of Ryan Spadola

The Ryan his family will see in a Jets uniform this fall got here in spite of his father’s suicide, but also partly because of it, Ryan believes. It made him a stronger, more determined man, ready for the challenges he will face as a low-profile player trying to establish a role in his first NFL season.

“You can’t go back and you can’t change the past,” he said. “Obviously, you’ll never know the reasons why. But it was something that took me some time, and I was able to move on and I was able to grow from it. … It’s enabled me to get to this stage in my life.

“(The NFL) was always a dream of ours, but we never knew how it was going to happen. I think he’s definitely proud of me, and I wish he was here to share it with me. I can continue to play, and continue to live on the dream for him as well.”

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...their_nfl.html

Hall Of Fame
    If It’s Monday,..the Subject Is Quarterbacks

It was quarterbacks' day at the Jets' training center today, which meant that all six of them had a little something to say.

Six ?

Well, that's not quite true. Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Matt Simms all spoke with reporters. So did Brady Quinn, who's newly in while Graham Harrell, who did not speak, is out. And Greg McElroy tweeted some classy parting words for the Jets as he was officially released with an injury settlement.For Smith, the tone of the comments was about his readiness to take the reins in Sunday's season opener against Tampa Bay, if called on. He wasn't flinching, from his ankle ("Every single day it's felt better) nor from the heat of possibly starting in his first game as a pro."Yes, sir, I’ve been preparing extremely hard and I think I’ve gotten a lot better," he said. "Like I said, this is only the beginning. I’ve got a lot to learn and I’m preparing for everything that comes my way. If my chance is Sunday, I’m going to go out there with the intent to lead my team to victory and that’s just the way it is. I’m always going to play like that, be aggressive. I’m never going to hesitate, never going to shy away from anything, and just go out there and play ball."Sanchez was less verbal, in part because he didn't know the answers to some questions and wasn't going to answer others as he continues to rehab his shoulder injury from the Giants game"I’m trying, I’m trying," he said about aiming to make his fifth opening-day start as our quarterback. "We’ll make a good push this week and see where I’m at. You just want to take this thing slow, take it the right way, make the right progression without reinjuring yourself."Sanchez did not practice today, but declined to respond to questions about if he was able to throw, or what he's doing during his rehab, or even to those inquiring minds who think the unfolding QB scenario signals an end to Sanchez's career as the Jets starter or even as a Jet.

Losing his roster spot ?

"No, I don't really think about that. I just think about getting out on the field as soon as possible."

Does he ever thinks about a fresh start elsewhere ?

"No, I don’t really think about that. I just think about getting back on the field as soon as I can and helping this team."

Does he feel as if he's in limbo ?

"Not really. I feel like I'm rehabbing."

Simms discussed his new role, having passed his audition as an NFL backup, and accepting congrats for the passing line — 33-for-44, 285 yards vs. the Eagles on Thursday — that helped him step up at least for the time being to the 53-man roster.

Quinn talked about his sudden arrival in the Jets' universe and what it all means to any of the other QBs he now joins on the depth chart. Charlie Frankel, our reporter, will have a report on Quinn's remarks in a separate story today.

Head coach Rex Ryan, reserved this season in his remarks on Sanchez, injuries and Sanchez's injury, said No. 6 didn't practice but would provide no prognosis until the first day of NFL-mandated injury reports, which is Wednesday.

"One thing we know is that Mark has a really good grasp our system," Ryan said. "He's been involved in meetings and walkthroughs. He just hasn't been able to practice since the injury occurred. We'll see how he progresses these next couple of days."

The only player Rex gave any detail about from today's work was WR Santonio Holmes. "He was able to do a few things today. That was encouraging to me," he said. "I guarantee you I hope he plays Sunday. How's that for a guarantee?"

As for G-Mac, he had this to tweet to everyone:

After 24 hours of reflection and thought, I would like to thank the New York Jets and their fans for bringing so much joy to my life over the last two years. Thank you to Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream of playing quarterback in the NFL. I would also like to thank John Idzik for his extremely professional approach throughout this time. I do believe that he has a remarkable vision for the organization, and I wish I could've been a part of it.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...b-36d71e53b8c5

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame
    Welcome to your daily New York Jets quarterback update.

Here's where everything stands after Monday: Geno Smith is likely to start Week 1 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mark Sanchez is unlikely to play again for a good, long while. Greg McElroy and Graham Harrell are out. Brady Quinn and Matt Simms are in. And Joe Namath and Boomer Esiason are still regulars on New York's sports talk-radio circuit.

That just about covers it, and when it comes to the Jets and their quarterbacks, there is quite a lot to cover. With the team pulling off a flurry of transactions and with coach Rex Ryan still refusing to name Smith the starter for Sunday's opener—even though Sanchez's shoulder injury kept him from practicing—Monday was the most unusual day in the NFL's most unusual quarterback saga.

Quarterback Brady Quinn (9) runs with the ball as quarterback Geno Smith (7) and running back Alex Green (25) watch during the New York Jets football practice on Monday.
    The signing of Quinn, a 28-year-old Notre Dame alumnus who has started 20 NFL games and was a first-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2007, suggests that Sanchez's injury may keep him off the field longer than the Jets have hinted.

Playing in the fourth quarter of a preseason game against the Giants on Aug. 24—a game in which Smith threw three interceptions and seemed to squander an opportunity to win the team's quarterback competition—Sanchez sustained a bruise to his right shoulder joint.

The Jets, through a spokesman, and Sanchez have said that he is "day-to-day," a characterization that implies he might wake up one morning, decide his throwing arm feels limber and strong, and be ready to return to the lineup.

But if Sanchez's injury is more severe, it behooved the Jets to add a quarterback with some pro experience. Before the team's maneuvering Monday, the four quarterbacks on the roster—Smith, McElroy, Harrell and Simms—had appeared in two NFL games among them.

So the Jets waived McElroy, who had sprained his left knee and lost the No. 3 quarterback job to Simms anyway, from their injured-reserved (IR) list. They also released Harrell, who was signed last week and took the field for just one play in the Jets' preseason—a kneel-down at the end of last week's victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. (McElroy subsequently signed with the Cincinnati Bengals.)

Smith said that the Jets' coaches haven't told him yet whether he'll start on Sunday, but it is difficult to draw any other conclusion based on the circumstances.

After spending much of Monday's practice riding an exercise bike along the sideline, Sanchez volleyed questions about his status as if he were John McEnroe at the net, saying that he was "getting better every day" but providing no tangible details about his progress. If he sits out Wednesday's practice, too, the chances that he'd play against the Buccaneers would seem remote at best.

Ryan, for his part, said that the team isn't planning to put Sanchez on injured reserved any time soon. He didn't rule it out later in the season, though.

"If we felt as an organization that he should be placed on IR then Mark would have been placed on IR," he said. "Could things change? Absolutely things can change."

As for Quinn, who was cut by the Seattle Seahawks last week, he did practice on Monday, but as of the late afternoon he hadn't begun to dig into offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's playbook. Though Smith is a rookie and Simms has never played in an NFL regular-season game, merely by going through training camp they are ahead of Quinn in learning Mornhinweg's system.

"I don't know all those answers right now," Quinn said. "I've got a lot on my plate. I just got here late [Sunday] night, and I'm still trying to get adjusted to everything."

He isn't the only one.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets should have one of their best offensive weapons on the field Sunday with the return of wide receiver Santonio Holmes appearing to be a near certainty.

Holmes practiced yesterday and appeared to be moving well during the 30-minute window the media was permitted to watch.

A source indicated the Jets believe the receiver would definitely play.

Holmes missed training camp and the entire preseason while recovering from a Lisfranc injury in his left foot suffered during Week 4 of last season. Holmes had two surgeries on the foot, and his status has remained a mystery. He was removed from the physically unable to perform list on Aug. 23.

Teammates have been impressed with what they’ve seen from Holmes.

“’[He’s making] great cuts,” wide receiver Stephen Hill said. “The speed is going to always be there. But just breaking and cutting, he looks the same as last year.”

It could lead to a Holmes vs. Darrelle Revis match-up Sunday when the Buccaneers come to MetLife Stadium.

* Jets coach Rex Ryan spent Saturday attending the Clemson-Georgia game in South Carolina. Ryan’s son, Seth, is a freshman walk-on for the Tigers. Ryan has taken some fire for going to the game on the day the Jets were making their roster cuts to get to 53. Ryan defended the move.

“Almost all of our moves were made Friday evening when I was here,” Ryan said. “I talked to several of the players we were going to release. I don’t think it was official until [Saturday] evening. But certainly I spoke with most of our guys that were released just like I did every year, and I was very aware of our situation. This is an opportunity to go see my son play his first college game. Play is probably not very accurate. I saw him stand there.”

Ryan said this is probably the only chance he’d get to go to one of his son’s games.

“It was a great deal,” Ryan said. “It’s not like I’m going to be able to go to another game. ... I played Dad there for a day and that was a lot of fun.”

* Rookie CB Dee Milliner (calf) said he practiced fully and expects to play Sunday. ... CB Antonio Cromartie (hip) said, “You know I’ll be ready to go,” when asked if he would be healthy enough to play Sunday. ... Ryan, who is reluctant to give out any injury information these days, conceded OLB Quinton Coples (ankle fracture) is likely out for the game. ... The Jets waived QB Greg McElroy with an injury settlement. ... LB Danny Lansanah cleared waivers and could be added to the Jets practice squad.

> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...m_content=Jets

Hall Of Fame
    On Monday afternoon, the Jets announced the signing of seventh-year quarterback Brady Quinn.
    “It’s a great opportunity,” the new No. 9 said. “The Jets are a historic organization. I think just to be able to work with a guy like David Lee and Coach [Marty] Mornhinweg is a great opportunity for me.”
    “You just try to get the best 53 that you can find that’s out there to help your team,” head coach Rex Ryan said. “That’s what we’re trying to do.”
    With QBs Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy hurt and having made the decision to keep Geno Smith off the field, the Jets picked up recently-released QB Graham Harrell to back-up Matt Simms in the preseason finale versus the Eagles. Harrell’s lone drive of the game consisted of kneeling the ball to run the clock out and secure a Green & White victory.
    Harrell’s name was excluded in a weekend full of a couple dozen roster moves and emerged as one of four QBs kept on the initial 53-man roster. On Monday, however, Graham was released, Quinn was brought in.
    His role with the team and his spot on the depth chart remain unknown.
    “I’ve been brought in to do whatever I can to help the team,” adding he’s unsure if he will be given a chance to fight for a starting spot this Sunday. “I’ve got a lot of my plate. I just got here late last night and I’m still trying to get adjusted to everything.”
    He could be a temporary solution while Sanchez, currently day-to-day, heals his right shoulder.
    Sanchez missed this afternoon’s practice, although Rex has not yet ruled him out for the season opener six days from now.
    “We’ll see how he progresses in these next days,” the head coach said of the injury.
    Or Brady Quinn could settle in and stay for the long haul, possibly climbing his way up the depth chart.
    After an illustrious career at Notre Dame, Quinn was selected by the Browns in the first round, 22nd overall, in the 2007 draft. He spent three seasons in Cleveland before joining the Broncos for 2010 and ’11 and the Chiefs in 2012.
    He moved to the Seahawks this offseason but despite his throwing for two touchdowns without any interceptions and boasting a 97.6 passer rating during the preseason, Seattle released him in the final cuts on Saturday, deciding to go with eight-year veteran Tarvaris Jackson as the only backup to Russell Wilson.
    In his first six seasons, Quinn has played in 24 regular-season games, compiling a 4-16 record as a starter with 12 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and a 53.8 completion percentage.
    Quinn’s looking forward to working with his new position coach. Lee might be the best out there at helping QBs with their fundamentals, he said. “He does a great job working with footwork, progressions, reads, understanding the game from the quarterback position.”
    In addition to working under Coach Lee, he’s happy to be reunited with former teammate and ninth-year veteran Kellen Winslow, who played with Quinn in ’07 and ’08 while the two were in Cleveland.
    On a Thursday night game in November ’08, the Fighting Irish product threw a pair of touchdowns without an interception in his first NFL start. Winslow was on the receiving end of both scores to top off a 10-reception, 111-yard night.
    “We hooked up a lot that game,” Winslow said. “Brady Quinn’s a good quarterback. A great quarterback.”
    “I loved playing with him in Cleveland,” the QB said of the TE, “so it’s good to see a familiar face like that.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...f-40317f2b33d6

Hall Of Fame
    LaDainian Tomlinson has looked into the crystal ball and he sees no future for his former teammate Mark Sanchez as a starting quarterback.

Tomlinson and Sanchez were teammates on the New York Jets for the final two years of the running back’s career before Tomlinson retired following the 2011 season. After hanging up his cleats, he openly lashed out at his teammates in New York, perhaps as part of buyer’s remorse for getting a Jets tattoo.

[It's game time! ]

But despite being two years and three time zones removed from the Jets mess, Tomlinson continues to lash out at his old team, as he did on Tuesday when he basically called an end to Sanchez’s career.

On his Sirius XM show, Adam Schein asked Tomlinson if he thinks Sanchez will start again.

“No, I don’t think Mark will be a starter again in the NFL. I think there’s certainly potential for him to be a backup and then get a starting job for half the year or what have you that way,” Tomlinson said. “But I think his days as a full time starter are pretty much over. Because you’ve got to realize in football, for a quarterback, you’re going to get three to five years in an organization to prove that you’re the franchise guy. I mean that’s just what it is. And if you don’t do it in that time frame then they’re going to move on to somebody else and then you’re position now will become a backup.”
    Tell us how you really feel there, L.T.

Sanchez is currently “day-to-day” with a shoulder injury he suffered when head coach Rex Ryan inserted him into the fourth quarter of the Jets third preseason game. Sanchez was summarily tossed to the ground by New York Giants defensive lineman Marvin Austin (a player who was later cut by the Giants, no less) and suffered a right shoulder injury.

Sanchez still hasn’t practiced this week and appears doubtful for the game, which likely means that Geno Smith will get the start on Week 1.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3382--nfl.html

Hall Of Fame
    Barring a setback before Sunday, wide receiver Santonio Holmes is expected to play a limited role in the New York Jets' season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a league source said Thursday.

Holmes, who missed the preseason as he continued to rehab from surgery to repair a severe Lisfranc injury in his left foot, has been working his way back slowly. He didn't practice Thursday, but that was planned ahead of time, according to coach Rex Ryan.

The former Super Bowl MVP has been limited in practice for about a week, but he's running full speed and cutting hard. Ryan said Holmes looks good and expressed optimism that he'll play.

"We'll make sure we have the absolute clearance from our doctors and our trainers before we do that ... but as I've said all along, I certainly hope he plays," Ryan said. "I thought he caught the ball well [Wednesday] and I thought he moved around pretty well."

Holmes hasn't played a game in 11 months -- Week 4 last season -- so he will be on a play count against the Bucs. The Jets likely will use him on third down, joining Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley in the three-receiver package.

On Wednesday, Holmes was noncommittal about his chance of playing, saying it would be up to the doctors. He has been sending mixed signals throughout his entire rehab process, refusing to give a specific timetable.

Holmes said he's not 100 percent, saying he still feels pain in his foot every morning. But he also said, "Honestly, I feel pretty good about the things I've tried to do thus far."

He's a hard guy to figure out.

"Santonio sure is a confident man, isn't he?" offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said, smiling. "You understand he's one of my favorites because of that great confidence. He's been limited and he's worked diligently to get back for this opening game, so we'll see on that."

Holmes' teammates expect him to play, and they could use him, especially with rookie Geno Smith at quarterback. The Jets are short on playmakers, and Holmes is their most accomplished player on offense.

Holmes likely would be covered by former Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, making for a compelling subplot. They suffered season-ending injuries last year within seven days of each other.

Despite a surgically repaired knee, Revis still commands great respect from his former team. Ryan said the Jets have no plans to test him.

"We know him too well," Ryan said. "That might be some team's philosophy, but I don't think that's going to be our philosophy."

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...cording-source

Hall Of Fame
    As the New York Jets brought in Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson this offseason to strengthen their group of running backs, returnee Bilal Powell seemed to be the forgotten man in the unit. The indications were that Ivory would likely start ahead of Powell, with Goodson as the complementary back.

Heading into Sunday's opener, it's clear that the coaching staff didn't forget about Powell.

Bilal Powell will start for the Jets against the Buccaneers in the season-opener.
    In fact, they named him the starter.

"I try not to worry about stuff I can't control," Powell said Thursday. "I can't control who they bring in and out of here. My biggest thing was just to focus every day and go out and play as hard as I could and play to the best of my abilities every day."

The holdover beat out the new imports as Powell will get the start over Ivory when the Jets host the Buccaneers on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. Ivory will still receive his fair share of carries, but Powell will be with the first team as the Jets showcase their new offense.

"I'm blessed and grateful," Powell said. "Just shows my hard work that I put on it didn't go unnoticed. It's just an honor to see the offensive coaching staff and this team has confidence in me to name me a starter."

Powell received increased work down the stretch last season, but didn't do enough with those extra snaps. He ended up rushing 110 times for 437 yards and four touchdowns, while also catching 17 passes for 140 yards. The third-year back from Louisville topped out at 78 yards against Jacksonville.

Following the departure of Shonn Greene in free agency, the Jets brought in Ivory, via a trade with New Orleans, and signed Goodson. A hamstring issue slowed down Ivory during the preseason, and he didn't stand out during the games, and Goodson is suspended for four games for violating the NFL's drug policy.

With Goodson and Ivory dealing with other issues, Powell seized the opportunity and earned his way into the starting gig for the time being. Sunday will present a mammoth challenge for the youngster as Tampa Bay's defense ranked first in the league against the run last season.

"I think Bilal Powell has earned the right to start," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday. "Bilal did a tremendous job for us throughout training camp and in preseason games as well."

Added Powell: "That's everybody's goal, to be a starter in this league. You look around the league, everybody's talented. Whenever my number was called or whatever opportunity I was given, I try to take full advantage of it."

Ivory, who has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career, said he feels fine. He said he was not disappointed that Powell was named the starter, and acknowledged he's also going to get a good amount of carries. He's not sure yet what his exact role will be in the offense.

Ivory downplayed the effect the hamstring had on him.

"I've been playing. I played these last couple of preseason games. I've been practicing," Ivory said. "That's where we stand. And I'm still healthy now."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...nored-to-start

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    As the New York Jets brought in Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson this offseason to strengthen their group of running backs, returnee Bilal Powell seemed to be the forgotten man in the unit. The indications were that Ivory would likely start ahead of Powell, with Goodson as the complementary back.

Heading into Sunday's opener, it's clear that the coaching staff didn't forget about Powell.

Bilal Powell will start for the Jets against the Buccaneers in the season-opener.
    In fact, they named him the starter.

"I try not to worry about stuff I can't control," Powell said Thursday. "I can't control who they bring in and out of here. My biggest thing was just to focus every day and go out and play as hard as I could and play to the best of my abilities every day."

The holdover beat out the new imports as Powell will get the start over Ivory when the Jets host the Buccaneers on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. Ivory will still receive his fair share of carries, but Powell will be with the first team as the Jets showcase their new offense.

"I'm blessed and grateful," Powell said. "Just shows my hard work that I put on it didn't go unnoticed. It's just an honor to see the offensive coaching staff and this team has confidence in me to name me a starter."

Powell received increased work down the stretch last season, but didn't do enough with those extra snaps. He ended up rushing 110 times for 437 yards and four touchdowns, while also catching 17 passes for 140 yards. The third-year back from Louisville topped out at 78 yards against Jacksonville.

Following the departure of Shonn Greene in free agency, the Jets brought in Ivory, via a trade with New Orleans, and signed Goodson. A hamstring issue slowed down Ivory during the preseason, and he didn't stand out during the games, and Goodson is suspended for four games for violating the NFL's drug policy.

With Goodson and Ivory dealing with other issues, Powell seized the opportunity and earned his way into the starting gig for the time being. Sunday will present a mammoth challenge for the youngster as Tampa Bay's defense ranked first in the league against the run last season.

"I think Bilal Powell has earned the right to start," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday. "Bilal did a tremendous job for us throughout training camp and in preseason games as well."

Added Powell: "That's everybody's goal, to be a starter in this league. You look around the league, everybody's talented. Whenever my number was called or whatever opportunity I was given, I try to take full advantage of it."

Ivory, who has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career, said he feels fine. He said he was not disappointed that Powell was named the starter, and acknowledged he's also going to get a good amount of carries. He's not sure yet what his exact role will be in the offense.

Ivory downplayed the effect the hamstring had on him.

"I've been playing. I played these last couple of preseason games. I've been practicing," Ivory said. "That's where we stand. And I'm still healthy now."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...nored-to-start
    I think Ivory needs to step up his game and show us why we got him. I'll give him a few games to get up to speed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think Ivory needs to step up his game and show us why we got him. I'll give him a few games to get up to speed.
    hopefully ivory " hits the ground running "

Hall Of Fame
    Will Jets WRs Stay Away from Revis Island ?

Come Sunday, it will have been 350 days since Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Darrelle Revis played in an NFL game. Might head coach Rex Ryan and the offense test the ex-Jet’s rehabbed knee ?
    “No,” Ryan said after vigorously shaking his head. “We know him well. That might be some team’s [philosophy]. I don’t think that’s going to be our philosophy.”
    The Jets drafted Revis 14th overall in 2007, and he went on to receive four Pro Bowl berths in six seasons.
    “Obviously, we know the kind of talent he is,” Rex continued. “All Jet fans know the kind of talent that he has.”
    Revis tore his ACL in our third game of the season last year in what would turn out to be his last play for the Green & White. He landed on Injured Reserve, and we traded him to Tampa Bay in the days leading up to April’s draft.
    Post-surgery, it’s possible that the cornerback may have lost a step in coverage, but he doesn’t think so.
    “I’m very confident in the player I’ll be. I’ll be fine,” Revis told the New York media on Wednesday. “I’m ready to go.”
    “If I had my way, he’d rest it one more week,” Ryan joked. “I think that’d be the best thing for him.”
    Eighth-year veteran WR Santonio Holmes was limited in this afternoon’s practice while the coaches have him on a “pitch count” recovering from a foot injury, so it’s unclear how many snaps he will have in Week 1 if he plays at all. If he does get to line up against his former teammate, however, he’ll treat it just like any other opponent.
    “It’s my job. It’s what we get paid to do, play football,” he said, “and the season is around the corner and it would be really good to get out there and help the team compete as much as possible.”
    Despite all of the Revis talk, third-year receiver Clyde Gates is focused only on what’s going on in Florham Park, N.J., and his confidence is “through the roof” entering Sunday’s season opener.
    “We’re just focused on us,” No. 19 said. “They have a great secondary, but it’s football. It’s going to be a challenge week in and week out.”
    Like Rex, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was also asked about the team’s game plan regarding Tampa Bay’s No. 24. His answer: “We’ll see.”
    Regardless of whether he’s instructed to throw his way or not, rookie QB Geno Smith is excited to face a three-time All Pro in his first NFL start. “That’s what this league is all about,” he said, “facing guys who are stellar performers.”
    Wideout Stephen Hill, entering his second year in the league, would respect Coach Ryan’s decision to stay away from Revis Island, but he’s ready for the challenge as well if the head guy changes his mind.
    “I can care less if he’s 100 percent,” Hill said. “If he’s going to be out there, we’re going to go 100 percent, so I hope he does also.”
    Ready or not, here we come.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-78e1b9fd47b8