Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweets and Info from Rookie Mini Camp

Rookie defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson impresses Rex Ryan at first day of Jets rookie minicamp http://nydn.us/17c6l0y

Coming out of college, Richardson was considered a 4-3 DT that wasn't expected to play nose, but after Friday it appears that is a possibility for him. He lined up as a one-technique part of the time during his first day and says he feels plenty comfortable doing that.

By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Two-hundred-and-ninety-two-pound defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson surprisingly seems to be more proud of his speed than anything else. The large Jets rookie returned both kicks and punts in high school and spread a grin wide across his face as he said he could do that because he was "naturally gifted."

"I was always the chubby kid in class everybody picked on," Richardson said. "I played with a chip on my shoulder. I still feel like I'm that same kid. I like to do what skinny guys do. They dunk a basketball? I want to jump as high as them and dunk a basketball. I happen to be able dunk a basketball because of it."

Rookie minicamp is like the first day of school: new faces and small talk. But Richardson was in the middle of it all, bouncing between conversations with reporters and teammates and keeping everyone entertained. He drew high marks for his play on the field in his first day as well.

"On defense, it's pretty obvious who popped out there, I mean Sheldon Richardson was good. Uh yeah, he was impressive to say the least," Rex Ryan said. "Guy loves to play, you can already tell that. That practice, you could have doubled that practice he would have been fine."

"I just have fun," Richardson said. "That's it, I'm having fun, I'm a kid out here."

Coming out of college, Richardson was considered a 4-3 DT that wasn't expected to play nose, but after Friday it appears that is a possibility for him. He lined up as a one-technique part of the time during his first day and says he feels plenty comfortable doing that.

"Well we'd move him around. Some guys will line up, depending on our call, you can have a guy at nose, you can have him at three, you can have him at five," Ryan said. "There's several different things he can do."

According to Richardson, transitioning to a 3-4 won't be too tough for him.

"It's easy. Not that hard. People make it seem like it's harder harder than what it is. It's very easy. All you've got to do is learn the playbook," he said.

Asked if he had the size to play nose tackle, Richardson paused before giving an emphatic, "Yes."

"There's not that many times when you see me on film getting pushed back," he added.

Richardson said his biggest issue on day one was over-pursuing and getting ahead of himself, but Ryan didn't see that as much of an issue.

"That old saying, you can always slow 'em down, it's hard to speed 'em up," the coach said. "So that's a good thing."

In the midst of praising some of his first-year players after the opening day of rookie minicamp, Ryan took a quick aside to criticize one of his sophomores, Quinton Coples.

"If Quinton doesn't do a better job in the weight room he might have to...he's got to compete like anybody else for a job," Ryan said. "So I'm a little disappointed in Q in the weight room in the last day."

The coach went out of his way to focus on the DE/OLB but said it was only yesterday that he wasn't pleased with Coples' performance lifting. One knock on Coples coming out of college was a questionable work ethic.

"He's been doing great, but any time I've got a chance to get him, I'm going to," Ryan said. "I expect so much for him, if he lets up a little bit, we're going to make sure he knows about it."

The Jets top draft choice, Dee Milliner, did not participate in team drills Friday. Milliner rode the bike and worked with trainers while he rehabs from shoulder surgery.

The Jets signed fifth- and sixth-round draft picks OLs Oday Aboushi and William Campbell each to four-year deals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Geno Smith shouldn't be defined by unattributed assaults on his character. He deserves a fair chance. My column: http://nydn.us/15xHepe #nyj

------------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Womanish one of the primary ones pushing this character assassination nonsense?
    He wasnt the primary one pushing the story but...

Mehta realized that if everyone in the media was ripping Geno no way in the world would the Jets put Geno out under center.

This way Mehta can wait in the weeds and over time if the Jets put Geno out there and he struggles like 95% of all rookies do Mehta will be first in line ripping the Jets for not giving Sanchez a true chance with the new offense under MM etc.

This article is so transparent it is disgusting!!!! Mehta's act is now tiresome and quite frankly boring!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Hey sec - can you give us any thoughts on dalton freemen since he played at clemson?

I started a thread yesterday about our backup center situation and totally forgot about this kid, would be great if he could win that job and give us some depth there.
    Dalton is a great kid. He plays a little angry and was upset he didnt get a combine invite. He put up 34 reps on the bench press at his pro day, which is really good for a 6-5 O lineman. He moves pretty well. He has put on about 15 pounds since the end of last season. He played in Clemson's spread offense where they were in the shot gun most of the time. His big knocks were his strength and athletic ability, he answered some of that by having a great pro day. 34 reps, 4.88 40 and 114 inch broad jump. Those numbers would have stacked up really well if he was at the combine I believe. Some scouts think he could play guard as well because he is 6-5, but I am not so sure about that, at least right now. Probably a better pass blocker than run blocker right now, but could do really well in the Jets zone blocking scheme.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 05-11-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    So predictable. Get owned like a little *****, have no reply to come back with, so you revert to some Tebow crap..

I don't need to reread what you said again as I was perfectly able to see how farked up and wrong it was the first time through.
    Interesting article explaining WHY Teblow is not finding any takers in the NFL for his services....main reason?? appears to be YOU, Demo... YOU

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ti...054940389.html

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Interesting article explaining WHY Teblow is not finding any takers in the NFL for his services....main reason?? appears to be YOU, Demo... YOU

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ti...054940389.html
    Aww, come on, now. I'm sure Demos isn't the reason he can't find work. I'm betting it has something to do with the fact that he can't hit the ocean with a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfthewhite View Post
    Lol! I have a female fawn that's 85lbs and muscular. Her name is Gina. No, not Geno! Going to get a male brindle and name him Klecko! They ARE the best dogs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    That would be a great name!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You mean like most coordinators turned HC?

Why on earth is it better to have a defensive guru/mind dipping a toe in the Offensive side of the pool?

Only in NY, with Rex is this an issue.

Its completely fine if he stays away from the offense with two BIG exceptions.

1) He can't force the GM to bolster his D w/o neglecting the offensive side of the ball. In otherwords he can't have all the groceries for the D.

2) If he wants to be hands off , he needs to trust his OC and staff to gameplan on O and not force his BS G&P system upon them.

Good Hc's monitor, delegate and have a say in all aspects of the team. Rex was hands off but still forced his BS philosophy onto the O with disastrous results.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Dalton is a great kid.
    4 year starter at Clemson...I think he makes at least PS

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Jets rookie camp: Owner Woody Johnson arrives to check out the action.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I live in florida....you should have seen the ad the major law firm here Morgan and Morgan took out asking the jaguars to please sign Tebow because he is a proven winner....it was so pathetic and also hilarious. Tebow has been blacklisted from the NFL by his own idiotic fans. I am a former Gator and I loved what Tm did for us at UF, but my favorite UF QB has always been Chris Leak.
    I know this is off topic, but it incenses me when I read all the headlines about Tebow being "blackballed". He was offered the chance to play positions other than QB and he has steadfastly refused. There are many more college QB's than there are QB positions in the NFL and many college QB's successfully switch positions. He did this to himself and it is not "blackballing". It is blind stubborness on Tebow's part.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    pretty funny really coming from Mehta, one of the primary rippers using unnamed "sources" in the media
    Not surprising though....I noticed this week that there was a good deal of backlash in the media against those calling Geno out for no real reason at all. Hell even Lupica...the king of sensationalism...wrote an article calling those on a false witchhunt out.

Manish is nothing more than an unoriginal follower. If the "Geno is a brat and a diva" narrative caught on Manish would be in the middle of it. But since that narrative did hold much muster...Manish goes the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Dalton is a great kid. He plays a little angry and was upset he didnt get a combine invite. He put up 34 reps on the bench press at his pro day, which is really good for a 6-5 O lineman. He moves pretty well. He has put on about 15 pounds since the end of last season. He played in Clemson's spread offense where they were in the shot gun most of the time. His big knocks were his strength and athletic ability, he answered some of that by having a great pro day. 34 reps, 4.88 40 and 114 inch broad jump. Those numbers would have stacked up really well if he was at the combine I believe. Some scouts think he could play guard as well because he is 6-5, but I am not so sure about that, at least right now. Probably a better pass blocker than run blocker right now, but could do really well in the Jets zone blocking scheme.
    Thanks - excellent info.

Im not positive, but isnt 6'5 for a center extremely tall?

Anyway, seems ideal for a zone system and love the kids who come in with a chip on their shoulder. Lets hope he is a player and can provide some depth behind mangold - not just if he is real injured and has to miss games, but if he is nicked up, to let him set out and get healthy rather then play hurt all year.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Jets rookie camp: Owner Woody Johnson arrives to check out the action.
    Hope he walks into a hay baler.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Hope he walks into a hay baler.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Thanks - excellent info.

Im not positive, but isnt 6'5 for a center extremely tall?

Anyway, seems ideal for a zone system and love the kids who come in with a chip on their shoulder. Lets hope he is a player and can provide some depth behind mangold - not just if he is real injured and has to miss games, but if he is nicked up, to let him set out and get healthy rather then play hurt all year.
    It is. Mangold is 6-4. Most centers seem to be around 6-3 or 6-4. Thats why some scouts think he can play guard, but he would have to add some weight. He is probably just under 300 lbs right now, he played his senior year at around 285. In Clemson's offense it was more important to have more agility and movement as they ran an uptempo spread offense, thats why he didnt really look to bulk up in college.

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Geno's passes are so pretty, on defense it's pretty much all about Rontez Miles today

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Geno's passes are so pretty, on defense it's pretty much all about Rontez Miles today
    It's only the beginning, but it is starting to feel good to be a Jets fan again.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post

It's only the beginning, but it is starting to feel good to be a Jets fan again.
    let the healing begin!

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    I am excited about this kid! He beasted against D2 competition and hits like a missle. Hope he makes the squad...

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I am excited about this kid! He beasted against D2 competition and hits like a missle. Hope he makes the squad...
    Apparently extremely smart.