Thread: Is Caleb Schlauderaff our backup center?

Is Caleb Schlauderaff our backup center?

Looking at the offensive line draftees and signings of Colon and Peterman I noticed that none of them have experience or really a skill set that can translate to backup Mangold.

He has gotten nicked up the last couple years and has been forced to play hurt (ankle) so I was curious if Caleb is the guy?

With peterman, colon, and winters set to be the top 3 at guard, can Caleb get extra work and basically focus completely on playing center?

Curious what you guys thought about the depth behind mangold?

I don't know if he is or not but he's got a cool name.

God if I had a nickel every time Tanny referred to Schlauderaff as some bright gem that he found somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    God if I had a nickel every time Tanny referred to Schlauderaff as some bright gem that he found somehow.

you'd be as rich as SAR!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking at the offensive line draftees and signings of Colon and Peterman I noticed that none of them have experience or really a skill set that can translate to backup Mangold.

He has gotten nicked up the last couple years and has been forced to play hurt (ankle) so I was curious if Caleb is the guy?

With peterman, colon, and winters set to be the top 3 at guard, can Caleb get extra work and basically focus completely on playing center?

Curious what you guys thought about the depth behind mangold?
    He can play guard or center. Right now if he is healthy he probably makes the 53 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He can play guard or center. Right now if he is healthy he probably makes the 53 man roster.
    just another reason why vlad is gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    just another reason why vlad is gone.
    True, hope so.

All League
    How many OLmen has Rex carried on the 53 man roster in the past? If it's nine, I assume it would be these guys:

T Brick
    T Howard
    T Aboushi
    C Mangold
    C/G Schlauderaff
    G Winters
    G Colon
    G Peterman
    G Campbell

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I thought Schlauderaff was something you put on a hot dog.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

You need a viable back up at Center. I've been saying this Kevin Mawae & Pete Kendall were on the Jets. The memory of Colin Baxter in the Ravens game should have been enough for Rex & Co to realize how important this position is, yet it still goes ignored & more importantly still signing O line guys that can't handle swing duties.

Mangold is a solid Center & has done an outstanding job for the Jets under some pretty horrific conditions these past two seasons, but if he gets hurt, having a patch snap the ball to the QB becomes the pink elephant in the room.

I don't like pink elephants on my football teams.

JMHO.

According to Ourlads (referenced by Randy on nyjets.com) Schlauderaff is backup to Mangold. It also has Aboushi as backup LT and Winters as backup LG:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

LT: Ferguson, D'Brickashaw; Aboushi, Oday; Gillen, Trey
    LG: COLON, WILLIE; Winters, Brian; Landolt, Dennis
    C: Mangold, Nick; Schlauderaff, Caleb; Freeman, Dalton
    RG: PETERMAN, STEPHEN; Ducasse, Vladimir; Campbell, William
    RT: Howard, Austin; Popek, Mark

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    You need a viable back up at Center. I've been saying this Kevin Mawae & Pete Kendall were on the Jets. The memory of Colin Baxter in the Ravens game should have been enough for Rex & Co to realize how important this position is, yet it still goes ignored & more importantly still signing O line guys that can't handle swing duties.

Mangold is a solid Center & has done an outstanding job for the Jets under some pretty horrific conditions these past two seasons, but if he gets hurt, having a patch snap the ball to the QB becomes the pink elephant in the room.

I don't like pink elephants on my football teams.

JMHO.
    Schlauderaff has been with us for quite some time. He actually had a few snaps at center last year. Lets give him credit and the coaches credit too. I think they know what the man can or can not do. We actually traded for the man if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    How many OLmen has Rex carried on the 53 man roster in the past? If it's nine, I assume it would be these guys:

T Brick
    T Howard
    T Aboushi
    C Mangold
    C/G Schlauderaff
    G Winters
    G Colon
    G Peterman
    G Campbell
    7 on active 8 if you count the LS plus 1 or 2 on PS. Caleb cant go on PS though. Campbell and Obey are likely a PS guys to build that is what it is for. Caleb will either be our starting G or a BU G. Main reason why I see Winters playing T not G is we are pretty deep at G right now. Add Landolt and Vlad to that list and it is not a bad group of Gs despite what some ney sayers believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Schlauderaff has been with us for quite some time. He actually had a few snaps at center last year. Lets give him credit and the coaches credit too. I think they know what the man can or can not do. We actually traded for the man if I remember correctly.
    I hope this is what the story is - coupled with him now almost exclusively practicing at center. The colin baxter situation should be a memory for everyone at how important that is.

I hope enough time with the other lineman (system has changed from callahan to Deguillemo to MM) has helped him as much as possible and he can put the time in to be a legit backup just in case.

If/when Mangold goes down we're screwed anyway so it doesn't really matter, IMO.

He's so under-rated.

Would love to have Robert Turner back...quite versatile

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Been talking about this Clemson UDFA in the other thread. Seems like a decent player. 4 year starter at center and good fit for zone blocking.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Would love to have Robert Turner back...quite versatile

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, whatever happened to him? I remember him getting injured and then what, we lost him in FA?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yeah, whatever happened to him? I remember him getting injured and then what, we lost him in FA?
    He went to the Rams last year, then I think the Titans signed him this year.

If Schlauderputz was any good he would won a guard spot by now and the Jets wouldn't have drafted 10 guards. Tannenpuke claimed this guy off Green Bays practice squad a few years ago like he was some savior in the making and I've never seen him in a game. My bet is he's gone by regular season. One of these drafted guards will be able to play center and better than him.