Thread: New Story: Sheldon Richardson impresses at camp

Post New Story: Sheldon Richardson impresses at camp

Sheldon Richardson wasn't the most popular pick amongst Jets fans, but he should become a fan favorite quickly.

It sure didn't take him long to impress the coaches.

"I don't want to put expectations too high but, ah, yeah he was impressive to say the least,' said Rex Ryan.

On the first day of rookie minicamp Richardson made plays all over the field, lining up at the nose and 3-technique. He'll probably be seeing time at both when the season starts.

No, Richardson isn't bulking up. He is expected to start the season weighing even less than the 294 lbs he was listed at...

More...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good read ... Keep bringing it brother!

Great to hear. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall Rex being this amped for Coples in rookie mini-camp. It took Coples some time to gain Rex's trust while Richardson seems to have already gained that trust.

Admittedly I wasn't a huge fan of the Richardson selection, but the more i hear from him and now from Rex I am liking it more and more.

DL is going to BEAST this season

I actually wanted an O-lineman with this pick, but if Richardson becomes a beast then no complaints here.

All Pro
    I mean this guy still doesn't exactly fit our system -

This leads me to believe that he actually had to have such overwhelming physical ability that the Jets just couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft him

He was almost definitely rated as the BPA after Milliner on the Jets board. Look at the next 3 picks at 10,11,12 - Warmack, Fluker and Hayden.

Jets wanted Cooper supposedly but passed on Warmack then a reach RT in Fluker and a redundant CB that we weren't going to draft.

Jets draft board looked like this:
    Milliner
    Richardson

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    um yes he does.....what exactly is the jets system? it's a HYBRID which consists ofboth 3-4 and 4-3.....at Missouri Richardson played all over the line which is why he will be a force in the Jets defense....the jets would not spend a number one pick on a player who would not fit in their system...why is it difficult for so many here to understand that???

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I mean this guy still doesn't exactly fit our system -

This leads me to believe that he actually had to have such overwhelming physical ability that the Jets just couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft him

He was almost definitely rated as the BPA after Milliner on the Jets board. Look at the next 3 picks at 10,11,12 - Warmack, Fluker and Hayden.

Jets wanted Cooper supposedly but passed on Warmack then a reach RT in Fluker and a redundant CB that we weren't going to draft.

Jets draft board looked like this:
    Milliner
    Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    um yes he does.....what exactly is the jets system? it's a HYBRID which consists ofboth 3-4 and 4-3.....at Missouri Richardson played all over the line which is why he will be a force in the Jets defense....the jets would not spend a number one pick on a player who would not fit in their system...why is it difficult for so many here to understand that???
    Exactly, that completely had me going "wtf" during the draft. All the analysts going, "WHAT? BUT HE DOESN'T FIT THEIR SYSTEM! WHAT ARE THOSE CRAZY JETS DOING!?". I mean, it's hardly fitting a round peg into a square hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    DL is going to BEAST this season
    Oh Hell Yeah!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I know LOL

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Exactly, that completely had me going "wtf" during the draft. All the analysts going, "WHAT? BUT HE DOESN'T FIT THEIR SYSTEM! WHAT ARE THOSE CRAZY JETS DOING!?". I mean, it's hardly fitting a round peg into a square hole.